Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Challenge urban scavinging  (Read 4267 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Challenge urban scavinging
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:09:44 pm »

a neat simple challenge i have bean toying with. the basic idea is you use Dfusions embark anywhere to embark on top of a town with no provisions and see how long you can survive.
A few tips or optional ideas are
1. Use dfhacks slay race to kill the original inhabitants (i have seen upwards of 900 residents in a 4x4 embark) this is very important as they will be bad for fps and hostile and 7 unarmed dwarfs don't stand a chance.
2.mod it so humans don't have clothes, again for fps saving (all of them where 6 pieces of clothing)
3.use auto dump destroy to remove there corpses
4.if you are using a mod change the other city races to not have clothes
5.if you do this to often the world wont be good for adventuring

ideas and chalanges
1. tear down some houses and build a palisade
2. Use the citys walls and fort as your main defenses
3. imptoave the city with canalss and new buildings and what not.
4. leave the bandits and vampires in the dungeon and storm it.

these are just ideas at the moment and anymore would be appreciated

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: New Challenge urban scavinging
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:35:35 pm »

You can embark in cities? How do you find them at worldgen ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:15:54 pm »

You could have a mod makign Dwarfs stealthy so they have to scavenge and steal from the townsfolk to survive, then digging a hideout.  Sort of like the Thieves Guild in Skyrim.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:34:34 am »

Embarking in cities requires one of the dfusion scripts, embark_anywhere or somesuch.

Towns are one of the sites displayed on the world map and normally barred from embarking. According to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Site , they're displayed with the symbols + * # and that masterwork star thingy.

I've tried it out twice, but if you hit town just right, you can abuse the game to pretty much annihilate any challenge: you can simply area-claim every loose item and piece of furniture, then lock all doors. Most of the population will now be locked in their houses and can't come over to clobber you. And you can just dig into empty homes from below and set up shop there. Collect all the bags containing various plants and you should be set for basic provisions.

If you get lucky, your draught animals will distract some of the angry civilians. They can get an animal to pass out pretty quickly, but will then waste all their time with inefficient headshots. I had a horse accosted by about twenty villagers and it kept them tied up for months - it eventually died of starvation.

If there's a keep in town, you might get even luckier - keep denizens are often friendly to your dwarfs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:47:02 am »

...And 7 unarmed dwarfs don't stand a chance.
Oh reeaaally?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:46:05 am »

WE COLONIZED HELL

NOW WE'RE TAKING OVER THE HUMANS
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:39:11 am »

Absent Sites

In the current version, non-human civilizations only exist in an abstract way, affecting world-gen and some post-world-gen functions but without sites physically existing in the world. Because of this, (non-player) Dwarf Fortresses, Elven Retreats and Dark Fortresses can't be visited in Adventure Mode, even though they'll still show up on maps.

Now I understand. I do have the embark every utiltiy, but when I embarked on a town, there was nothing. It was probably a dwarven, drow or something else-town. I was a bit sad that there were no buildings.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 03:29:10 am »

You could have a mod makign Dwarfs stealthy so they have to scavenge and steal from the townsfolk to survive, then digging a hideout.  Sort of like the Thieves Guild in Skyrim.
is this posible? that would be fun
Absent Sites

In the current version, non-human civilizations only exist in an abstract way, affecting world-gen and some post-world-gen functions but without sites physically existing in the world. Because of this, (non-player) Dwarf Fortresses, Elven Retreats and Dark Fortresses can't be visited in Adventure Mode, even though they'll still show up on maps.

Now I understand. I do have the embark every utiltiy, but when I embarked on a town, there was nothing. It was probably a dwarven, drow or something else-town. I was a bit sad that there were no buildings.

it could be a hamlet, they claim alot of land they dont use, even sometimes towns do you often just end up in a field.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 03:31:11 am »

Yep, it was just fields and a road... no structures.

And yes, you can give dwarves the hide ability, being invisible would work. Thieves Guild from Skyrim/Elder Scrolls.... not so much ^^

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:37:24 am »

i use legends mode to export site maps to find a town i like, it also gives you a clue to finding thee keep and other buildings, plus the maps look cool

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:17 am »

I seem to find the human settlements full of corpses, so I lock all the doors to deal with them 1 building at a time.

It seems to always go wrong because removing a floor teleports the corpses outside and then all hell breaks loose... :)

Yee

• Bay Watcher
  • Invasion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:56 am »

Don't let a script do the work: slay the inhabitants by your own hands in adventure mode.

Bonus points for doing it as a vampire(dwarf) at night and then retire to get this individual as an immigrant.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 01:05:06 pm »

Don't let a script do the work: slay the inhabitants by your own hands in adventure mode.
THEY DON'T STAY DEAD

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

-They respawn.