Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like me to do after this next round of bugfixing on RandCreatures?

Extract even MORE data - I want to customize what I get.
- 50 (24.3%)
Megabeasts and semimegabeasts need more work.
- 15 (7.3%)
Why no vermin? I want to annoy the heck out of myself.
- 10 (4.9%)
Nothing swims underwater?! How could you? I want aquatic life.
- 60 (29.1%)
Let's have (rare) random creatures that breathe fire and/or poison you to death.
- 34 (16.5%)
Forget RandCreatures; work on LangCreate.
- 17 (8.3%)
Zombie's Toothbrush.
- 6 (2.9%)
Make birds more birdlike.
- 12 (5.8%)
I want something else, but I'll suggest it in-thread.
- 2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)  (Read 80057 times)

Hexatona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2015, 01:46:16 pm »

OOOOh, okay, no.

langcreate\bin\DFLangCreate.exe

That's the file you're looking for.  It's not java - or at least you don't need anything special to run it, just a plain exe file.

It's actually written in something called Phrogram, which I had never head of before.

Royal Flush

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a horrible fell look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2015, 03:08:20 am »

I've apparently missed something.

I downloaded the file, extracted it into its own "LanguageCreate" folder, and when I go into Documents/LanguageCreate/bin/DFLangCreate.exe it just pops the program halfway open and immediately goes 'not responding'. Is there something else I need to have open for it to work properly like DFHack and Therapist do?

I tried running the DFLangCreate.exe.xml, and it installed 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications', but that hasn't fixed the issue of it crashing on open, nor does opening the .xml give me anything but a blank grey page that I can't interact with, as if nothing's been loaded into it.

Edit: Tried running as administrator; no dice.

Was gonna use this to recode a thousand odd words into a mod's old language files. I really don't want to code, by hand, ~1400 words into eight languages myself...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:10:32 am by Royal Flush »
Ponies ponies ponies.

Royal Flush High Res

Hexatona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 27, 2015, 01:40:48 pm »

Hmm, no you don't need anything else open for it to work.  I'm not sure if it needs like .net installed or something.  You might want to try it on a different machine?  Or maybe your download got corrupted - try downloading the package again and running it?  Or maybe running in compatability mode?

I could always generate a few random languages for you if you'd like instead.

Royal Flush

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a horrible fell look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:54 pm »

Figured out what I did. When I was looking through the folders in the zip, I accidentally only unzipped the 'bin' folder. Stupid me. It's working now.

File this under PEBKAC.
Ponies ponies ponies.

Royal Flush High Res

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 19, 2020, 08:31:12 pm »

I apologize for necroing this thread, but I would very much like to ask Talvieno if he/she could please update both LangCreate and RandCreatures. LangCreate's an excellent tool for making one of the most arduous tasks in building custom civs a snap! However, it is outdated as words like YOR have been corrected to YORE and there are totally new words that show up as blanks when pulled upon in naming menus and the like. RandCreatures is also nice, and the generation it does is also nice for making rather lively worlds. Yet it too is outdated and isn't able to take advantage of all the new tokens nor is it even compatible for this version of the game. Talvieno, I hope that you decide to come back to these projects of yours. They really are remarkably useful.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 21, 2020, 01:47:25 am »

Hello! It's been a long while since I was here, it seems. Six years have flown by far too quickly. Thank you for summoning me back! :P

I've unfortunately lost the files I was working on regarding RandCreatures 2.0. I could potentially redo it from scratch, though, and I'm sure I could update the old RandCreatures to work with today's version. I've kept up with the changes to the RAWs. That would probably take some time, though, because I recall it being ludicrously complicated. (I've gotten a lot better with coding since then, though, so that might help.)

As to LangCreate, I could probably redo that from scratch with little difficulty - perhaps as a browser-based version, to help make sure everyone can use it. I seem to recall it only being Windows-friendly. Fixing that would probably come sooner than RandCreatures. I could stick it on my website somewhere.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Zenoth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2020, 02:33:49 am »

Yes!, please Talvieno, an updated version of Rand Creatures and LangCreate would be great!

tranquilham

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANSLATION:OWO]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2020, 09:32:16 pm »

what would be nice for a new LangCreate version is the ability to use something like Meph's Dictionary to generate words from; when i popped in the language_SYM text file, it crashed. though, that's probably due to it being old. oh well. good luck!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2020, 08:16:38 pm »

Hello! It's been a long while since I was here, it seems. Six years have flown by far too quickly. Thank you for summoning me back! :P

As to LangCreate, I could probably redo that from scratch with little difficulty - perhaps as a browser-based version, to help make sure everyone can use it. I seem to recall it only being Windows-friendly. Fixing that would probably come sooner than RandCreatures. I could stick it on my website somewhere.

Yes, please, Talvieno. And you have a website? Could you perhaps link us the website, if possible?

Solarspot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 17, 2020, 01:41:41 pm »

Huh.  FWIW, I have a 90% complete port of LangCreate to C# as it is...  Asked Talvieno about it several years ago.  If you're still interested in it, should I send you the nearly working C# port?

I had to import two .dll files from the original program, seemingly standard library parts for the KPL programming language, into the project to get it to run as decompiled C#.  I've nearly finished removing the dependency on it, but I guess the original KPL license is still applicable to... exactly one person here  :D

I'm also turning it into a command-line program while I'm at it, which should make Linux/Mac support easier.  That said, I'd have no idea how to do a web version of it, seeing as I still can't make heads or tails of the algorithm it implements  ::)

Really, the C# port was one part of my hoped for Java port.  Might still be, seeing as the CLI interface should let me test the two versions for identical behavior.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2020, 01:49:13 pm »

Huh.  FWIW, I have a 90% complete port of LangCreate to C# as it is...  Asked Talvieno about it several years ago.  If you're still interested in it, should I send you the nearly working C# port?

I had to import two .dll files from the original program, seemingly standard library parts for the KPL programming language, into the project to get it to run as decompiled C#.  I've nearly finished removing the dependency on it, but I guess the original KPL license is still applicable to... exactly one person here  :D

I'm also turning it into a command-line program while I'm at it, which should make Linux/Mac support easier.  That said, I'd have no idea how to do a web version of it, seeing as I still can't make heads or tails of the algorithm it implements  ::)

Really, the C# port was one part of my hoped for Java port.  Might still be, seeing as the CLI interface should let me test the two versions for identical behavior.

Send away! Any new version of LangCreate would be nice!

Solarspot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 17, 2020, 02:25:11 pm »

Oh.  I meant send it to Talvieno.  My big worry with sending it to anybody else is that nobody else really has (even implicit) permission to use the copyright on those KPL .dll files. (In other words, I've never really had a license to distribute those files...)  Especially if I want to make my build open-source, can't just pretend that company (would be) okay with it.  On the flip side, that company shut down about one year before I started working on my port.  So maybe I'm over worrying about it.  It's the same two .dll files used in the distribution of the original program.  A large chunk of my own effort has been trying to measure every tiny detail of the library functions it uses, so I can replace them.  Program itself hasn't changed an enormous amount.

Still, here was the first day I got it to run:
https://solarspot.netlify.app/post/little%20victories/

I wrote that blog post in...  I think 2016.  It almost exactly recreates the same screen as the original. Even by that point, the company who built KPL's compiler was...  1 or 2 years defunct.  Theoretically somebody else owns the copyrights to their standard library now.

I've got a CLI partly built, and it can use an input file instead of manual entry.  Other issues to fix before I show it to literally anybody else is removing personal names from the source-code  :-[

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34)
« Reply #252 on: July 21, 2021, 11:17:03 pm »

I'm honestly mindblown that you put in so much work to reverse-engineer the thing. I didn't realize there was that much of an audience, hence why I've been dragging my feet and focusing on other things. (Also I'm extremely sorry about how late this response is.) I'll see if I can get a new version up on my site for people to use.

Yes, please, Talvieno. And you have a website? Could you perhaps link us the website, if possible?
Egads, I'm again sorry for the incredibly late reply. The past year kind of got away from me, and not in a good way. A lot of stuff happened. (For everyone, I think. Hurrah for 2020!) As to my site, it's here, and I'll post again after I build a JS version of langcreate. JS is a lot of what I've been using lately anyway - that and python. but I think in this case it's probably most useful to use JS because then nobody has to download anything except the language file that gets created. I believe that's what I was thinking last year, too. I have about four different versions of the base program, so all it'll take is converting one of them.

(honestly, somehow I thought only a few months had passed since I replied here last, not a whole year.  :-\ )
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]