Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 61

Author Topic: [SUGGESTIONS] for DFhack plugins  (Read 135188 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTIONS] for DFhack plugins
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 05:14:06 am »

A plugin to list all citizens who can do interactions and what those interactions are. There is currently no way to see that information in df and it is useful for mods with spells.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 05:32:08 am »

@warmist: the second one actually sounds cool. It would be nice to improve mining in the game, because as it stands its rather basic. Adding unmineable veins/layers... then having your miner dig near it, build a workshop "drill" or dwarven mining-something, to turn the material around it mineable.

"You struck granite"
Damn, granite is too hard to mine through...
Build dwarven mining station
Run reaction
"The granite has been softened"

Well, something like that ^^

I do have veins in the mod that make people dizzy, with rare gems inside that kill (warpstone) and I did have "deadly traps" in rubble that might kill your miner, and even undigable veins... but people really, really dislike all of this for some reason. The warpstone is turned off by many players, and the rest I removed because I got so much negative feedback about it. I dont mind undigable veins that make you explore more, but apparently people are used to easy mining.

Wait. When you say you can change materials of unmined inorganics.... does that mean you can essentially paint tiles and replace the tiles with something other inorganic? As in... painting a maze made of slade, with some candy inside ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 06:17:32 am »

@warmist: the second one actually sounds cool. It would be nice to improve mining in the game, because as it stands its rather basic. Adding unmineable veins/layers... then having your miner dig near it, build a workshop "drill" or dwarven mining-something, to turn the material around it mineable.

"You struck granite"
Damn, granite is too hard to mine through...
Build dwarven mining station
Run reaction
"The granite has been softened"

Well, something like that ^^

I do have veins in the mod that make people dizzy, with rare gems inside that kill (warpstone) and I did have "deadly traps" in rubble that might kill your miner, and even undigable veins... but people really, really dislike all of this for some reason. The warpstone is turned off by many players, and the rest I removed because I got so much negative feedback about it. I dont mind undigable veins that make you explore more, but apparently people are used to easy mining.

Wait. When you say you can change materials of unmined inorganics.... does that mean you can essentially paint tiles and replace the tiles with something other inorganic? As in... painting a maze made of slade, with some candy inside ?
Warpstone imo is not fair- imagine training your miners for all that time only to loose to some freak random accident. In game design unavoidable and totally random discouragement is not used because it gives nothing good and takes away fun. That is either players will not mine "warpstone" having materials anymore in fear, or they will lose miners to it. There is no fun elements (e.g. what can i do to avoid, how to engineer it etc...).
Your idea is totally doable. Although it would induce some (unwanted?) complexity. Maybe it would make sense for more valuable things than granite?
And yes we can make a maze out of slade with adamantine in center.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 06:54:26 am »

Warpstone are veins that make dizzy, but contain two types of gems: Stable and Unstable warpstone. Unstable can kill, stable is used for warpstone landmines, turrets and the upcoming warpstone lab. You can avoid these by stop digging as soon as you see the "you struck warpstone" message. Usually you find veins first. You only loose a miner if you are careless and dont read your announcments. So much for the theory at least. ;)

Yeah, without moveable workshops my idea wont work too nicely. It was just brainstorming, I made it up as I wrote.

The second idea was just because people like the curious underground structures, but there is no way of modding anything into the game that acts like one. I added "ruins"-veins for example, and made gems called "relics" and "treasures" that only appear in them, and your acheologist can identify/restore them. But I cant make actual ruins you discover. But I guess all this is fairly complitacted and far in the future.

I would rather like to see some progress on the easier suggestions, then speaking theory about even more... ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 05:29:21 pm »

Got another idea: Is it possible to use revflood or something similar to simulate the adventure-mode view (with fog-of-war and hidden areas) for each dwarf in fortress mode ?

Have the surface all revealed, but add a fog of war to mining and caverns, reveal only what a dwarf really sees, 20tiles wide around him... or would that kill FPS ?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:18 pm »

Well, when uncovering an underground or interior space, you already have to send dwarves further in to get it more revealed in the vanilla game, but the range is something like 30-40 tiles iirc.

On your earlier note, what about requiring a certain quality or material of pickaxe to dig certain veins?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 09:01:59 pm »

Yes, but you will always see all enemies. Once revealed, you dont need to scout, set watchtowers or do anything else but scroll there and have a look. You can see enemies even if no dwarf is nearby. Fog of war in fortress mode would be amazing, all other RTS have it, DF is missing out ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 09:18:39 pm »

I don't consider DF an RTS. (Thus why I don't play Masterwork much, hehe. Seems to gamey for me.)

Fog of War could be doable, I think, considering reveal, unreveal etc.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 09:50:40 pm »

Perhaps hiding all units more than 20 tiles from a fort member?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 10:44:04 pm »

Isnt there fog of war in adv. mode? I dont want to unreveal to already scouted terrain, I would just like the enemies to be invisible that are outside of any dwarves/pets view-range. And I completely treat DF as a RTS, hence my disinterest in adv mode ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 11:42:15 pm »

Yes, there is, but I think that may be a special case.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 01:30:51 pm »

Another idea i just tested (and it worked). A way to assign jobs to non-main race. E.g. you construct golems, and you have your golem control center, that when it does reactions assigns golems (one per reaction or all in one go) a job from available jobs. That way you can have mixed race forts without buggy "friendship"

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 01:48:28 pm »

Another idea i just tested (and it worked). A way to assign jobs to non-main race. E.g. you construct golems, and you have your golem control center, that when it does reactions assigns golems (one per reaction or all in one go) a job from available jobs. That way you can have mixed race forts without buggy "friendship"
Just WOW!

Small suggestion - a way to organize reactions in multiple choice trees. Like it is done for craftshop - rock\make rock crafts or forges - furniture\copper\forge copper barrel.
The plugin could watch the list of reactions available for selected workshop and manage the current level we're in.
for example, current kiln reactions could be renamed to "Clay\Make clay statue (pot, crafts, etc)" and "Glaze\Glaze clay statue (pot, crafts, etc)" which divides them into two groups - "Clay" and "Glaze".
For setting hotkey on each level you may define a dummy reaction for "Clay" or "Glaze" with no input, no output and no skill, with hotkey only.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 02:31:09 pm »

Warmist, that is AWESOME. Seriously, that allows to buy your own designated workers, mining-only, farming-only... your dwarves could outsource some industries to other creatures. It works only on pets I assume?

Ingame you would need a dwarf/pet to be transformend into this "worker pet" or you can embark with/order these "worker pets". But you cant create them out of thin air, because modders (at the moment at least) can only create hostile or friendly untis. Friendly units only stand around and do nothing.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 05:36:09 pm »

Small suggestion - a way to organize reactions in multiple choice trees. Like it is done for craftshop - rock\make rock crafts or forges - furniture\copper\forge copper barrel.
The plugin could watch the list of reactions available for selected workshop and manage the current level we're in.
for example, current kiln reactions could be renamed to "Clay\Make clay statue (pot, crafts, etc)" and "Glaze\Glaze clay statue (pot, crafts, etc)" which divides them into two groups - "Clay" and "Glaze".
For setting hotkey on each level you may define a dummy reaction for "Clay" or "Glaze" with no input, no output and no skill, with hotkey only.
need to write this down, it might be possible.

Warmist, that is AWESOME. Seriously, that allows to buy your own designated workers, mining-only, farming-only... your dwarves could outsource some industries to other creatures. It works only on pets I assume?

Ingame you would need a dwarf/pet to be transformend into this "worker pet" or you can embark with/order these "worker pets". But you cant create them out of thin air, because modders (at the moment at least) can only create hostile or friendly untis. Friendly units only stand around and do nothing.
it works both on your units and not :) (thats what expwnent is using for digging invaders) of course i limit it only to my own units (further filtering is possible). Actually how it's works it's easier to do with non-designation works (i.e. everything in workshops, building constructions/buildings). And yes you could filter by race/caste/etc...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 61