Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 61

Author Topic: [SUGGESTIONS] for DFhack plugins  (Read 136194 times)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTIONS] for DFhack plugins
« Reply #780 on: March 31, 2016, 01:46:27 pm »

Is a 'prospect'-like report possible from the choosing embark screen?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 31, 2016, 02:29:43 pm »

I didn't see this on the list of things in DFHack already, so hopefully I'm not just repeating something.

Currently, buckets are bugged.  I know "empty buckets" (of water) is part of workflow, but there is also a bug where dwarves put buckets of lye inside barrels, then lose the capacity to recognize the bucket and lye forever. 

Could there be a plugin that searches for buckets inside barrels, and then corrects behavior by moving bucket contents into the barrel, and the now-empty bucket out of the barrel?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:11:02 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 31, 2016, 06:54:52 pm »

Yes, prospect.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 01, 2016, 07:40:51 am »

Yes, prospect.

Oh really? I thought it only worked in the 'in-game' screen. Cool!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 01, 2016, 12:15:21 pm »

I'm almost positive it's not possible, but I would love to be able to select where a civilization starts. Not sure if this could be interjected into world generation somehow.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 01, 2016, 04:20:20 pm »

I'm almost positive it's not possible, but I would love to be able to select where a civilization starts. Not sure if this could be interjected into world generation somehow.
Probably possible and might be even easy (except the part where we catch df before/in the middle of civ placing, maybe you can place them after even?) but the problem is that nobody looked at generation very closely (or at all?) AFAIK.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 01, 2016, 05:11:31 pm »

Probably possible and might be even easy (except the part where we catch df before/in the middle of civ placing, maybe you can place them after even?) but the problem is that nobody looked at generation very closely (or at all?) AFAIK.

Hmm, maybe I will have to look at generation then, although it's not something I could do for a couple months so if anyone else has an itching desire to be my guest.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 07, 2016, 10:37:00 am »

In a pair of threads, some fo us were talking about graphics for procedural creatures.

It dawned upon me while talking about it that there is probably the capacity within DF Hack as the game currently stands to make procedural creatures have distinct graphics.  I'm thinking I could draw, say, blobs, quadrupeds, spiders, etc. with different colors to represent different material types, and some fire or dust or something along the edges to represent special attacks, and come up with enough permutations to make most procedural creatures look meaningfully different.

That said, I've never coded DF Hack before, so is anyone willing to help with the actual code part of ferreting out the relevant tokens and setting up a script for graphics file text replacement so that individual procedural creatures are associated with a graphic that represents them?

(Incidentally, this is mostly a sort of proof-of-concept for what may come with full procedural playable races... I suspect there would be demand for making current tilesets work with graphics actually representative of the creatures you play.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 07, 2016, 09:37:15 pm »

ferreting out the relevant tokens shouldn't be hard at all, the graphics replacement may be outright impossible given how raws work though; if one can, in fact, hotswap graphics raws (which is hilariously unlikely, mind) then yeah, it may be possible.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 07, 2016, 09:56:50 pm »

ferreting out the relevant tokens shouldn't be hard at all, the graphics replacement may be outright impossible given how raws work though; if one can, in fact, hotswap graphics raws (which is hilariously unlikely, mind) then yeah, it may be possible.

When I say "graphics raws" I mean the text file that says
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:FORGOTTEN_BEAST_0]
[DEFAULT:PHOEBUS_P:0:0:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]

You could accomplish it with simple text replacement when the game is closed, although thinking about it now, that would take some sort of intermediate step of outputting the required changes somewhere that could then be used to replace the raws after the game was closed if you were using DF Hack with the game open. 

I suppose if you wanted to do it from within DF Hack/while the game was open, you could have a system of saving the game -> running the search for association of creature templates to specific graphic -> alter the text file raws in the save -> force-close the game without saving.  When players reloaded, the graphics should then be adjusted.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 07, 2016, 10:00:17 pm »

It might be possible to alter the relevant data in-game as well, to avoid needing to reload the save. I don't know for sure if the graphics engine can handle that, though (it probably can't load new textures on the fly, but it might be possible to use already-loaded ones without reloading).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 07, 2016, 10:05:15 pm »

My understanding is that the game glues together all of the creature graphics into a single texture, and tiles are blitted from lookups to that texture.  For example, a crundle might be the square from (128,256) to (143,271), and the creature raws somehow indicate if this is an AS_IS tile or not.

If that is approximately how the game works (I might be misremembering how fonts work), the most straightforward thing to do is to manipulate the texture directly.  TITAN_22 always points to the same spot, but DFHack stuffs the right pile of subsprites there to make it match the description.  The same change can be made to the creature graphics in the save so that the image is persistent.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 07, 2016, 10:28:25 pm »

So is there someone who wants to actually try it?

I could start making up "pieces" that could be put together.

All the body types come from body_rcp, right?  I can just make a few layers that add things like shells or proboscises or stingers onto a few base bodies, along with a set of palette swaps and a "special attack" indicator, and wind up with a really large set of permutations of graphics. 

(For that matter, what about Stonesense?  I know they make dwarves with layers of images.  Is there something like this in Stonesense for procedurals, now?)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 07, 2016, 11:14:54 pm »

So is there someone who wants to actually try it?

I could start making up "pieces" that could be put together.

All the body types come from body_rcp, right?  I can just make a few layers that add things like shells or proboscises or stingers onto a few base bodies, along with a set of palette swaps and a "special attack" indicator, and wind up with a really large set of permutations of graphics. 

(For that matter, what about Stonesense?  I know they make dwarves with layers of images.  Is there something like this in Stonesense for procedurals, now?)
And I thought I was the last person on Earth still making Stonesense sprites :)

Stonesense does have sprites for Forgotten Beasts, Titans and Demons... but all Forgotten Beasts get the exact same sprite, etc.

Your layering system would work within Stonesense (and maybe Armok Vision someday), but you'd have to blit everything into a single tile for use in the game's own GUI.

EDIT: and I don't think it's worth parsing the RCP raws.  There ought to be enough information in the description to pick out the important qualities.  Not sure if the whole thing resides in the DESCRIPTION tag, or if some of it is generated from TLCM_NOUNs and such.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:17:43 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 07, 2016, 11:42:15 pm »

And I thought I was the last person on Earth still making Stonesense sprites :)

Hey, I just took a... I-got-distracted-by-Crusader-Kings-II hiatus.  (Although I only really did some icons... which I probably need to check and see if the new professions are represented...)

I should be able to do two sets, with two different resolutions, so that people using different tile sizes can probably rescale with only a few touchups.

EDIT: and I don't think it's worth parsing the RCP raws.  There ought to be enough information in the description to pick out the important qualities.  Not sure if the whole thing resides in the DESCRIPTION tag, or if some of it is generated from TLCM_NOUNs and such.

Well, I'm just going through it to make a list of body parts that would need representation.  I.E. There are raws for creatures with humanoid limbs, quadrupeds, quadrupeds that have hands on their front limbs, and everything up to decapeds with grasping hands on their front limbs. Plus shells, wings, proboscis, horns, exposed ribs, etc. 

Everything beyond that should be coverable through simple palette swaps plus having a "special attack" indicator. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 61