Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 3D DnD Map Visualizer  (Read 7476 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
3D DnD Map Visualizer
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:25:04 pm »

I figured I might as well post this, since other people might eventually get some use out of it. It's basically 3D Maptools, made with Unity; there's a bit more background on what this is here and here, but I'll sum it up.

• Shows character positions and allows players to, when the DM allows them, look around and move their characters with an XBox controller.
  • Lets the DM look around independently and select objects with the cursor in the middle of the screen on the right.
  • Gives DMs the ability to show actions the players take (right now it just lets you create and turn off lights, but I'm still adding stuff).
  • Finally, it's set up so that the DM can have two monitors (for example, a laptop and a projector) with the screen split between them, showing the players what their characters can see without revealing what the DM is doing behind the scenes.

I don't have a very good idea of what would be useful to have, but if anybody has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm planning on testing and improving this throughout a campaign I have planned which should start in a week or two.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: 3D DnD Map Visualizer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:08:40 pm »

I dont really play DnD, but I can see its application in helping visualization of a scenario, spatially atleast.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:24:15 pm »

Could there be a PC version?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:26:09 pm »

This would be such a boon to have in Nerd Club at school.
Watching so intently it hurts.
Praise Jesus.
Hallelujah.
<3<3<3
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:40:21 pm »

Actually, this is the PC version. The XBox controller is for convenience, so that players can move and look around without being near the keyboard. The DM will also be able to move around characters without the controller, though, so it's not necessary.

This would be such a boon to have in Nerd Club at school.
Watching so intently it hurts.
Praise Jesus.
Hallelujah.
<3<3<3

I'm glad you approve!  :) I'll work on getting a working version out as fast as I can, but I'll have to somehow make a level editor and figure out how saving works, so it'll take a while.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:39 pm »

Already looks better then Roll20.

Seriously speaking though, it looks pretty cool.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »

CREATE HARDER.

I AM ENTHRALLED.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:07:57 pm »

Actually, this is the PC version. The XBox controller is for convenience, so that players can move and look around without being near the keyboard. The DM will also be able to move around characters without the controller, though, so it's not necessary.
Sweet. Here's hoping you get it into a useable state soon!
Here's a thought for when you're ready to add cool new features: z-levels. Making a 3-D battle is such a pain on the mat...

Possibly; I've only played on Roll20. Never DM'd. It seems annoying, though--there was a problem with grids for a while, for instance.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:16:04 am »

Seriously speaking though, it looks pretty cool.

Glad to hear it!

CREATE HARDER.

I AM ENTHRALLED.

I'M CREATING AS HARD AS I CAN!

Here's a thought for when you're ready to add cool new features: z-levels. Making a 3-D battle is such a pain on the mat...

I hope to have those sometime soon after I finish getting the basics of creating and saving maps in-game done.

Speaking of saving, that's what's currently being worked on. I've got a system of saving campaigns and maps in the works, but I'm still struggling with exporting information into XML, which Unity apparently can do also. Since that's boring and behind-the-scenes, there's not really a screenshot I can put up to show what's done now, but rest assured that I'm still working on this project.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 02:17:19 am »

Possibly; I've only played on Roll20. Never DM'd. It seems annoying, though--there was a problem with grids for a while, for instance.

I know it is at least partially a personal thing. But the fact that players seem soooooo locked down in what they can do has always ruined roll20 for me. I can tell you, it's a really big pain in the ass to try to GM a game on it compared to maptools.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 02:34:03 am »

Are you planning on creating an easy way to build maps, short of making all the models themselves? (Even just adjusting map shapes with textured cubes would be fantastic.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 02:41:24 am »

Maptools has some nice and powerful features, but roll20 seems much simpler and intuitive to use. One thing that has bugged me is adapting Ironclaw to any of them. Both can handle nongrid movement, but rolling on maptools is more problematic, and the set of semi-official maptools macros for it spit out errors and stop me from saving a campaign, meanwhile roll20 is terrible at handling status effects, and there are no such thing as hitpoints in that system, just status effects.

If I am looking for something that this program will be able to provide, it's status tracking, both hitpoints, effects, maybe something else as well, as well as being able to put down a octo or hex grid, and low bandwidth needed to run the game. Being able to load up assets would also be nice, though it does highlight an issue with 3d visualisers for tabletop games. Namely, 2d art is so much easier to find, at least as far as something satisfactory goes.

Anyway, good luck coding this, I'll be keeping an eye on things, so maybe it would end up as my go to for running things (provided I can get damn ports to work with our network configuration).

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:19:02 am »

I support this thread ^_^ love me some DnD applications. Araph, I will help if you ask, just send the PM and I am there! Particularly with Barbarossa TSG's suggestion, I think I could be of some help (the textured cubes thingy).
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:13:35 pm »

Are you planning on creating an easy way to build maps, short of making all the models themselves? (Even just adjusting map shapes with textured cubes would be fantastic.)

The plan is to have a simple map creation thingy which will allow placing floors, walls, doors, torches, and other things that would go in a dungeon. I have some ideas on how it could work, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

If I am looking for something that this program will be able to provide, it's status tracking, both hitpoints, effects, maybe something else as well, as well as being able to put down a octo or hex grid, and low bandwidth needed to run the game. Being able to load up assets would also be nice, though it does highlight an issue with 3d visualisers for tabletop games. Namely, 2d art is so much easier to find, at least as far as something satisfactory goes.

Anyway, good luck coding this, I'll be keeping an eye on things, so maybe it would end up as my go to for running things (provided I can get damn ports to work with our network configuration).

You know this isn't an online thing, right? Maybe someday when I am actually competent at networking, but that's a pipe dream for now. About loading player-made assets, that actually is planned. As long as there's a general asset folder (think of mods for TES games), the system I have planned should be able to just keep track of file paths for each object prefab and load from that folder.

I support this thread ^_^ love me some DnD applications. Araph, I will help if you ask, just send the PM and I am there! Particularly with Barbarossa TSG's suggestion, I think I could be of some help (the textured cubes thingy).

I appreciate the offer! Right now, I have one big problem that I've spent the past two days headdesking over; if you know anything about using classes in JavaScript, any advice or troubleshooting would be invaluable.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:48:54 pm »

I would suggest making the XML serializer stuff into a C# class. C# and JS can interact fine in Unity, as long as they are not in the same file :P If you go with Virex's suggestion what you have in there should work. I am not all that big on JS hehe. I will give a go at making an XML import/export thingy in C# and see if I can port it over to JS though.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4