Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a short fictional story...  (Read 1422 times)

Froggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a short fictional story...
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »

I decided to write a short fictional story just to pass the time and develop my literary skills, its not finished or very good for that matter but i guess someone might read it. Also being fictional, there are a lot of liberties taken because i wrote it on the spot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: a short fictional story...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:41:22 am »

Gave it a proof-read and changed some stuff, feel free to disregard it (red is what I would change, blue is what I would change it to):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know it was just a little story, but advice or corrections are always useful. Nice story. :)
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Froggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:08:42 am »

Thanks man :) i hadnt realised i spelled so much stuff wrong:/ i have changed my copy to include all of your improvements.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 02:42:04 pm »

Thanks man :) i hadnt realised i spelled so much stuff wrong:/ i have changed my copy to include all of your improvements.
That's okay. :)

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 05:24:20 pm »

Always great to see people who want feedback from their peers! First off I'll give some advice (my own practices I might add). I might also apologise for the lack of "Spoiler" clickies - I haven't ever learnt how to do them on forums.
Creating a Prologue, Chapters, and an Epilogue is great - but I know from experience that it sort of "lessens" the amount of input you make. A friend of mine irl decided to start writing a year after I did, and he started by brainstorming and drafting chapters and such. His stories would last a week before being scrapped. I would constantly inform him to "just start writing" yet he never headed this advice. Unless you're aiming for publishing as a novel, don't have chapters or designate chapters AFTER reading.

Also, this line (I copied the "proof-read" version);
Food was going to be a problem on this trip and Bartholomew knew it, [;] he had carefully packed as much as he could before setting off; [,] now and then he produced a small loaf of bread from his cloak and slowly ate at it as he walked, [.]

I think it should go something more like this, I've marked changes in red;

Food was going to be a problem on this trip and Bartholomew knew it; he had carefully packed as much as he could before setting off, every now and then producing a small loaf of bread from inside the folds of his robes, [or alternatively use "and" instead of the comma] nibbling slowly on it as he walked.

You could even further extend the sentence by saying that he grabbed the bread from the folds of his cloak, in fact...I'd also change the instances of cape/capes to robes as this seems more appropriate for a monk. You could also have "nibbling on it slowly" instead.
Ahhh...I might stop there. Keep at the writing Froggie, I'd like to see a little more action later down the track if you continue this piece!
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:28:17 am »

Yeah, I think that version's a lot better.
Also, regarding spoilers, it's the button just beneath font size, that looks like a warning sign. If you want to make that spoiler have something in the title, you add it between the brackets:
[spoiler=This is a spoiler]
For example:
Spoiler: This is a spoiler (click to show/hide)

Froggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:51 am »

Thanks James, yeah i did away with the chapters and such, i feel much more fluidity and creativity in my writing now because rather than trying to keep in form with the layout, im concentrating on making it interesting. Advice/feedback is always extremely helpful and its great to see some motivation to continue. I will be continuing this story and will probably post the finished peice, how do you think i should go about it? should i post it as a reply to this thread?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:09:51 am »

Yeah, that'll do. Or you can update the OP with it. Or both. :P I think it would be helpful to have it in the OP either way, so we can see it all together.

Froggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:37:09 am »

oh, yeah, thats probably best :) and could anyone tell me how to people correctly?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:41:22 am »

How to people? Sorry, I don't quite get what you're asking there.

Froggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:53:22 am »

shit, sorry :-[ i meant how to quote people correctly?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 03:16:14 pm »

Ah. Either (when looking at the thread) press the quote button to the right of their post and then it brings up the reply screen, or (when on the reply screen) scroll down to the topic summary and click "Insert Quote" to the right of the appropriate post.

EDIT: You did mean in the forum, right?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:17:45 pm by Spaghetti7 »

Ohillier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48:17 am »

This is good! I hope to see more from you! :)

Froggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 08:01:00 am »

This is good! I hope to see more from you! :)
Thanks man, ill post the finished story when im done:)