Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 3D DnD Map Visualizer  (Read 7470 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: 3D DnD Map Visualizer
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:50 am »

I carefully demand networking. :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 04:03:55 pm »

I carefully demand networking. :P

Someday, in the distant future of me not being quite as inept at programming, I want to make this be usable online. I'm still hoping for Trail's End II! :P

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 11:57:31 pm »

Double-post status update: after, let's see, four days of constant headdesking over saving to XML files, saving finally works. The next step is making campaign editing menus. I have campaign creation and loading done (sort of; loading is kinda wonky, but it works), and scene building and character creation are next on the checklist. After that, it should be possible to make crude stages in-game, so it'll be possible to release an early version of the program. Bear in mind, though, that when I say early, I mean 'nigh-on-useless'-early, not 'sort-of-rough'-early.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 01:21:07 am »

* Skyrunner demands the tech demo

xD

Also, like I said, you're very scary D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 02:22:09 am »

How are you going to be generating the dungeons? Will they be hand-placed rooms/traps/whatever, completely randomly generated, or more of a sliding scale where you can randomly generate a dungeon, populate it with stuff, and then tweak it by hand to whatever is desired?
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 10:08:48 am »

So far, so good...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 04:04:03 pm »

How are you going to be generating the dungeons? Will they be hand-placed rooms/traps/whatever, completely randomly generated, or more of a sliding scale where you can randomly generate a dungeon, populate it with stuff, and then tweak it by hand to whatever is desired?

The DM will be able to build dungeons by hand. I wasn't planning on randomly generating anything, but that would be an interesting concept to implement later on in the project.

Also, like I said, you're very scary D:

I STILL DON'T KNOW WHY I'M SCARY.

*Lightning flashes in the background*

IS IT BECAUSE OF HOW I TALK?

In all seriousness, 3D games are easy (relatively speaking) to make in Unity. Also, JavaScript is a LOT more convenient than C++ with OpenGL.

Bilbo991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 06:57:34 pm »

This would be a dream come true for the group I play with, as they really didn't care for the pen and paper aspect of the game!!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 07:57:58 pm »

This would be a dream come true for the group I play with, as they really didn't care for the pen and paper aspect of the game!!

Well... All does is show a 3D display of maps made by the DM. It doesn't keep track of charcter sheets or anything.

Bilbo991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 08:09:04 pm »

Yeah I understand, I simply meant that they had trouble visualizing the dungeons they adventured in.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 08:17:28 pm »

I have a similar problem. Also, this would be an inexhaustible supply of graph paper! Always a plus.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 10:27:37 pm »

Yeah I understand, I simply meant that they had trouble visualizing the dungeons they adventured in.
I have a similar problem. Also, this would be an inexhaustible supply of graph paper! Always a plus.

I've had that problem too. So, yeah! This is actually intended to fix the exact same problem your players were having!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 12:24:49 am »

AT LAST, I, ARAPH, HAVE MADE... ZE MAGICKS!

I kid, partially. That link is to the first actual working demo of the project, but it's nowhere near completely 'made'.

Summary of how to do stuff wit' it: the menus can make XML files and campaign folders (all stored in the creatively named 'Campaigns' folder), but actually constructing levels isn't finished. However, the Demo button in the top right corner of the main menu lets you move around in a stage I put together in Unity: the catacombs from the first post. WASD and the mouse control the DM's camera, the arrow keys and IJKL (like WASD) control the player camera and movement. If you have an XBox controller, I'd appreciate it if you'd try using it to control the players, since I don't have a controller of my own to test that on. If you press the left alt button on your keyboard, the DM menus will come up. Sadly, this only includes the option to turn on player's light sources (only the green E and the red K can do this, since, in the campaign the characters are from, they're the only spellcasters in the party) and a button to return to the main menu.

It's not much, but it's a start. Any comments? Questions? Suggestions? Scathing reviews?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 01:00:48 am »

I am watching this like a hawk. Like a hawk, mang.

Also, I'm willing to create a few simple character and monster models in Blender, if you'd be interested in having them. I have virtually no experience with textures or rigging, but I can still give you a few dummies for temporary use or later improvement :P

Also, you might want to fix that problem with the mouse. If I move the cursor too far in any direction, it goes off the window and then I minimize the window when I click.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:05:37 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 02:08:09 am »

I highly recommend deselecting the check box next to 'Windowed' when launching the program. Especially since full screen is necessary when using the split-screen thingy with two monitors.

About the models, that'd be awesome! This project is never going to have animated models, but miniature-like ones are something I would like to implement.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:10:32 am by Araph »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4