Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 3D DnD Map Visualizer  (Read 7468 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: 3D DnD Map Visualizer
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 12:02:28 pm »

Are you going to have any automated path-planning for the NPCs in the environment? It would allow the GM to automate some of the minutia of actually moving pieces if you had the GM select waypoints for NPCs. The GM would still have control over where the NPC travels to, as well as the actions of the NPC aside from movement, but if the NPC is just moving then there shouldn't be more work than absolutely necessary going on for the GM (IMO).

If I understand your method of selection properly as being only done based on the center of the screen and not on mouse-click locations then you could lock the cursor. It would get rid of the mouse issue innately for windowed and fullscreen viewing.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Bilbo991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 04:41:18 pm »

Just tried it with an xbox controller and I wasn't able to move around the character, now whether this is actually the case or it's just my gamestop brand controller has yet to be seen. It might also look a bit better if the menu came up fullscreen, not just on the DM's side, though that may be how it's meant to be.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 06:51:45 pm »

Are you going to have any automated path-planning for the NPCs in the environment? It would allow the GM to automate some of the minutia of actually moving pieces if you had the GM select waypoints for NPCs. The GM would still have control over where the NPC travels to, as well as the actions of the NPC aside from movement, but if the NPC is just moving then there shouldn't be more work than absolutely necessary going on for the GM (IMO).

If I understand your method of selection properly as being only done based on the center of the screen and not on mouse-click locations then you could lock the cursor. It would get rid of the mouse issue innately for windowed and fullscreen viewing.

I'm not planning on implementing any path-finding other than selecting a character and then selecting where you want it to go in a straight line. I'll see about fixing the mouse, though.

Just tried it with an xbox controller and I wasn't able to move around the character, now whether this is actually the case or it's just my gamestop brand controller has yet to be seen. It might also look a bit better if the menu came up fullscreen, not just on the DM's side, though that may be how it's meant to be.

Hmm. Do you know if there's a way to test and make sure your computer recognizes the controller? With the way controls are set up, one controller stick thingy should control the camera while the other controls player movement in one-square increments.

Bilbo991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 07:03:29 pm »

Just played some UT3 with it and it worked fine. Is there anything special I have to do to get your program to recognize it?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 08:11:28 pm »

Just played some UT3 with it and it worked fine. Is there anything special I have to do to get your program to recognize it?

There shouldn't be anything necessary; I'll try and figure out if I'm missing something that could be causing the problem.

Bilbo991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 08:16:52 pm »

Tried it again and it worked this time, though was spinning uncontrollably.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 09:05:12 pm »

Tried it again and it worked this time, though was spinning uncontrollably.

I think I might have figured out what's wrong; it should work when I release the next version.

Other news: I've gotten external resource loading working, so you'll be able to have player-made textures from the beginning, if not models. Tomorrow I'm starting on saving scene layouts in-game, so hopefully we'll have a rudimentary version of that done by a week or so from now! At that point, it'll be possible for DMs to make crude stages out of textured blocks, lights, and cubes representing players. Fortunately for me, DF has conditioned us all to interpret colored letters as stand-ins for creatures. :P

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 09:13:55 pm »

I'll see what I can do about those models! Is there anything special I need to do in Blender to make sure they mesh well with Unity?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15:41 pm »

I must ask the obvious question. WILL IT BE FOR MAC SIR?
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 11:32:36 pm »

Is there anything special I need to do in Blender to make sure they mesh well with Unity?

Nope! Unity supports a bunch of file types, and, if all else fails, I'll change them to whatever file type is necessary in Maya. Having them as .fbx files would be just peachy, though; that's one format I know Unity supports.

I must ask the obvious question. WILL IT BE FOR MAC SIR?

MOST INDUBITABLY, MY DEAR FELLOW! However, I can't guarantee it'll work initially, since I can only really test the built versions of it on my PC. I'd appreciate it if you could report back any major bugs that result from Mac/PC differences (I'll have both Mac and PC versions next time I post a new version).

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 04:46:11 am »

@itisnotlogical: The only thing that you will need to do is flip the y and z axis for the model. It doesn't especially matter since in Unity it's easy to change the orientation of the imported model but it is always nice for the developer to not need to do so. To get it in line with Unity just rotate it to by x: +90 degrees. I'm not sure if Blender has a way to alter what the UP axis is, but if it does then the x-rotation would not be necessary.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 07:59:03 pm »

Work is progressing smoothly on the first model:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This has been my first opportunity to work on it since I first offered, I'll keep going on it through the day and update again when it's a good time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:21:02 pm by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 12:22:44 am »

I have no idea what you're doing but that looks like a good torso!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 10:33:30 pm »

THE BOXES. LOOK AT THEM. LOOK AT THE BOXES.

OBSERVE THE XMLS IN THEIR NATURAL HABITAT.

HELL YES!

To restate that coherently, saving and loading of objects within the scene works. FINALLY, IT WORKS. All of the boxes except for the one that's higher than the rest were placed there within the game itself, saved to an XML file, and loaded back into the game.

I are happy now.

Work is progressing smoothly on the first model:

This has been my first opportunity to work on it since I first offered, I'll keep going on it through the day and update again when it's a good time.

Nice! I can't wait to see the finished version!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 02:57:40 am »

Due to school and other stuff, I've had to only work on the model a little bit at a time. Once finals week is over however, I should be able to put in a few good sessions and maybe actually get another one going while I work on this one.

That stupid leg doesn't look right no matter what I do. >:(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4