Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 3D DnD Map Visualizer  (Read 7510 times)

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3D DnD Map Visualizer
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 12:45:50 pm »

You kinda inspired me to make a character too. I did some modelling when I was younger. The new blender sure is much more boring, I liked the roguelike interface of 2.45.

Either way, here is a simple model for the project. Made in about an hour by me, so it is a bit sketchy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I added some armor, just because I wanted to hide his ugly face.

file
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 01:40:30 pm »

Spoiler: My Warrior Legions (click to show/hide)

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 01:46:49 pm »

Spoiler: My Warrior Legions (click to show/hide)
It I just noticed the boots normals are facing the wrong way.

Here is a fixed version.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2013, 02:50:06 pm »

Annnd, I rigged the character/added a few animations. I had fun doing this. Now I will go do something else.
good luck with your project :)

Anyone is free to use the model if they like. No credit needed.

Model

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 12:22:39 pm »

Those swords.

Can you say, Einhander Zweihander? Not as crazy as some, but still...I don't think those are einhanders.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2013, 07:52:54 pm »

Annnd, I rigged the character/added a few animations. I had fun doing this. Now I will go do something else.
good luck with your project :)

Anyone is free to use the model if they like. No credit needed.

Model

Killjoy, you are awesome. Thank you!

PC Version

Mac Version

In the PC version, saving and loading work, but there are still some bugs in the filepaths used. Everything is saved in the Campaigns folder, but when you edit a scene, it will be saved in the base folder. I'm still not sure why, but leave it there, as the program will say the scene is empty if you move it back to the Scenes folder.

So! How to use:
  • WASD move the DM camera around.
  • Alt switches back and forth between aiming the camera and using the menus.
  • When you're in SCENE BUILDING MODE while viewing a map, you can use the Add Scenery button to... add scenery. Currently, you can use 'Floor' and 'Wall' to add floors and walls, respectively.
  • The Add Character button works, but you first need to click on the New Character button in the Campaign Editing menu. In the two text fields that show up there, you can choose between 'Warrior' (for the outdated version of Killjoy's model) or 'CharacterBase' (for a blank cube). MAKE SURE BOTH THE FIELDS HAVE THE SAME TEXT because I messed up again. To add the character you just made to the scene, click the Add Character button in SCENE BUILDING MODE and type the name of the character into the leftmost text field. The one on the right is a placeholder for future features.
  • When you are viewing a map and are in PLAYER MODE, the space bar selects characters using the cursor in the middle of the DM screen. Once a character is selected, you can rotate the camera around him with either the arrow keys or an XBox controller (which should be working now). You can move him/her with IJKL, used in a manner identical to WASD.
  • Likewise, SCENE BUILDING MODE allows you to move objects around by selecting them with the space bar and moving them with WASD. If you press and hold the left shift button, you can rotate the selected object by pressing A and D. Pressing space again will deselect the object and allow you to select a different object.
  • In PLAYER MODE, the 'Light' button is kinda... broken. It doesn't delete the light anymore, so it will just continuously spawn new lights. Lights aren't saved, though, so reloading the scene will get rid of them.

Oh, one last thing: the selection box for Killjoy's model is wonky (not because of him, though; it's because I misplaced it), so aim at the warrior's feet to select him if you're using him as a character.

Aside from the cruddy user interface, any thoughts? Suggestions? Glitches I missed?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 10:02:54 pm »

...Anybody?  :-[

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 12:19:02 am »

If anybody's interested, there's a working version done.

PC Version

Mac Version

The menus are still crap, but now servers work, so there's that. You can create a server with campaign data and have others connect over the internet.

The Manual and Stuff
Creating a Campaign
Try using the 'Campaign Creation' menu. After you name your campaign, you can access it with the 'Load Campaign' menu. In the campaign editing menu, you can create new scenes and new characters. When you create a character, make sure both text fields are the same (characters are just boxes, and can be added by using CharacterBase). After you've made a character and a scene, you can add objects to your scene by clicking on the button labeled with the scene's name and pressing Alt to open up the DM interface. This also allows you to use the mouse for other things than controlling the camera.

Building Scenes
On the right side of the screen (after pressing Alt), you can find a button that let's you add stuff to the scene. Currently, you can add characters (which must be predefined in the Campaign Editing menu) or you can add scene objects (currently you can type in 'Wall' or 'Floor'). After adding an object, you can select and deselect it with the Space Bar. When selected, the WASD keys will allow you to reposition the scenery. Characters cannot be selected unless you turn off Scene Building mode.

Obviously, the Save Scene Layout button saves all objects (including characters) and their positions. The 'Push Scenery' button sends the scene data to any players connected to a server you are running.

Running a Server
In the Campaign Editing menu, you can select the 'Launch Server' button to start a server. Don't use a password, though, as I haven't gotten around to implementing that particular feature. Players can connect through the Main Menu, where it says 'Connect to Server'. After a player is connected, he or she may click 'Join Game' to allow the DM to open a scene and send it to the players (scene data is automatically sent upon loading, but may be resent with the Push Scenery button). I actually don't know what will happen if a player joins the game after the DM has loaded a scene, but I guess we'll find out.

Once the players are connected and the scene is loaded, the DM can allow the players to control a PC by aiming the cursor at a PC and pressing the Space Bar while OUT of Scene Building mode. Once selected, the players can control the character with IJKL (like WASD) or an XBox controller. Similarly, the players' camera can be rotated with the arrow keys or an XBox controller.

Also, I have absolutely no idea whether or not it'll work on a Mac. Sorry about that. On the plus side, networking! Yay.

Oh, and before I forget: the media editing menu does very little. It can load .pngs, but it can't send them to players yet. The idea is that eventually you'll be able to show images and play videos on the players' computers, but that will take some time to implement.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:37:28 pm by Araph »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]