Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Axerings-Back From the Brink..sort of  (Read 7240 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Axerings-Back From the Brink..sort of
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:34:11 pm »

Ok well I decided to do this in the Lands of Meltface, so expect plenty of !!Dwarf Soup!!
Speaking of which, I did a quick edit of the Raws to accustom them to this new hell, so they should now be able to eat people (hopefully eating the mentioned !!Dwarf Soup!!) who are too stupid to live.

Here is the map of the world real quick

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Next up choosing the embark site.

Its even partially haunted! No zombies though, they must have all melted.

Oh yeah, the forts name is Axerings....yeah random generation lol

Managed to get the original seven bunkered in without any melting incidents...you know what that means?
DORFING TIME!
Send requests to this thread and you too can face life in a horrifying wasteland where the sun itself threatens to kill you! Reserve your seats today! They're going fast!

Requests non-refundable. BFEL and Axerings deny all liability for melting related injuries. Wasteland not guaranteed to be 100% horrifying. Seats not actually going that fast.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:42:40 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Wafflelordling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fort- Actually Digging Down....ADD Fort!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:45:28 am »

A creepy badlands with a necro tower  8)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:47:20 am »

Something outside your comfort zone but not by so much that you freak out :)

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:53 pm »

Terrifying glacier, zombifying, huskifying clouds/deadly rain, no metal, access to hostile civs and multiple necro towers sites, modify temperature in worldgen so that dwarves get frostbite if they stay outside. Just had to post this.

Also you can try an embark in a scorching area in a world generated with an extreme temperature range. But your dwarves' fat will turn into liquid oil the second you hit unpause >:D
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fort- I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire, but you do
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:53:25 pm »

Terrifying glacier, zombifying, huskifying clouds/deadly rain, no metal, access to hostile civs and multiple necro towers sites, modify temperature in worldgen so that dwarves get frostbite if they stay outside. Just had to post this.

Also you can try an embark in a scorching area in a world generated with an extreme temperature range. But your dwarves' fat will turn into liquid oil the second you hit unpause >:D

Actually did the scorching thing, the dwarves melting was hilarious. If you go on about 200 I think as the max temp it takes em a while to turn into dwarf slurry
and y'know what? I think you just won your embark world. This will probably take quite a few reclaims though XD

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Axerings- I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire, but I did anyway
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:49:45 pm »

Well started things up in Axerings, time for the first actual update, which also is a double post but screw it.
I'll leave any in-character things to the people who get dorfed.

So I embarked in our UV-ray wonderland (with open, haunted bar) with 7 picks, 7 dwarves who know how to use them, and enough booze and plump helmets to keep the bastards from making a suicide run into the sunlight for quite awhile.

Checked up on the units screen and no zombies, badgers, zombie badgers or other competition for sunburn anywhere in sight, so theres a quick relief (means I wasted the 90 points on that silver hammer though, ah well guess I can sell it for a mint.)

I love how no matter what you choose on embark the game gives you some random animals mobile food, should make it easier avoid tantrum spirals. Well as long as I get a butcher shop up before they die in the heat. I think I will do that now, right after burrowing the dwarves in their new home and getting all the rum inside.

17th of Granite 218(starting year) and just about everything is inside, no casualties and our horse and camel actually came inside as well. This is going surprisingly well.
Heres a pic of the actual area this fort is in right now (I use Pheobus pack)

Working on getting that drawbridge to operating standards when I remembered I need to set a raise direction for it, that was close, we want gobbos to melt in the heat while we laugh from inside, not have them run in here for a party.

Got all our stuff inside, now to work on farms, trade depot and the like. Used some wood from the wagon to make a training axe we can cut trees with once I get brave (and have some more expendable type labor)

Dug to the 13th z level, planning to set the bedrooms there and dig further down for workshops when all of a sudden....

Welp time to work on that bridge....aaaand then the fog refuses to actually appear....huh ah well maybe it was burned away :P Also slaughtered the meat stock and started producing some nice meals, that should liven up the dwarves and be a useful trade good...well if they ever bother getting the damn depot up that is.

Put the living quarters together (well I have them designated for mining anyway.

Next step is to cut some trees for beds but I need to turn in for the night so I'll do that tomorrow.

Indeed, I do this.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:16:09 pm »

Excuse me, but isn't it too hot for ANY traders to exist at all? Why do you need the depot?
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:33:48 am »

Excuse me, but isn't it too hot for ANY traders to exist at all? Why do you need the depot?
Traders exploding on their way to depot, isn't that great?!

I want a dorf, male, miner who would dig a great hall somewhere in the middle caverns.

And, can we test if how much it's dangerous to go outside? Like pasturing spare animals there and see if they burn.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 01:43:15 am »

I think that's only true about traders in extremely cold or remote areas, though I'm not certain about it.
I suggest OP to dig a 3-tile wide underground tunnel to the edge of the map and ramps to the surface 3 tiles away from the edge of the map and keep the original drawbridge closed. That will probably (?) make wagons come from there and survive.

My suggested design (though I've never done this):
~~~~~~~     Legend:
##+++##     ~ - Area outside the map
##+++##     # - Whatever type of tile, doesn't really matter
#=+++=#     + - Any type of floor/grass etc.
#=^^^=#     = - Channel with ramp removed
#+++++#     ^ - Channel with ramp
The floors at the bottom can be replaced with walls.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also I wanna be dorfed as one of the starting miners, if that's acceptable.
Name: Draraugh
Profession: Miner
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 01:45:35 am »

I'd like a cannibal dorf.

Name: Lecktor
Profession: Swordsdwarf
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 02:09:41 am »

Oh yeah. I'd lke to be dorfed too. Just put me in as a military or miner dwarf if you can. Name'll be Apiks.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 05:00:43 am »

I'm curious, so I have to ask. Did you mod the creatures or somehow mod the intensity of the sun? Or both?
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:38:47 am »

For some reason, I'm reminded of Darksun.

Please dorf me as one of your conscripts, keeping any possible unmelted invaders at bay.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 06:50:44 am »

done this before with Trialfires, you remember that right apiks? We had traders in that world right?...I think...

Traders exploding on their way to depot, isn't that great?!

I want a dorf, male, miner who would dig a great hall somewhere in the middle caverns.

And, can we test if how much it's dangerous to go outside? Like pasturing spare animals there and see if they burn.

Yeah planning to test the danger in a later migrant wave or such, I might have embarked somewhere not quite hot enough, not sure. It said Scorching which is what usually results in dwarfwax, but none of the starting seven, or even the two animals embark gave me, melted. I was SLIGHTLY disappoint.

I'd like a cannibal dorf.

Name: Lecktor
Profession: Swordsdwarf

once we get a swordsdwarf in a migrant wave you shall omnomnom on sweet dwarfflesh.

Oh yeah. I'd lke to be dorfed too. Just put me in as a military or miner dwarf if you can. Name'll be Apiks.

You got both military AND miner dwarf....unfortunately dorf!you cracks easily, is both trusting AND guarded, and generally kinda dumb...sorry....

I'm curious, so I have to ask. Did you mod the creatures or somehow mod the intensity of the sun? Or both?
-J-

The only thing I modded was I changed the entity files to make dwarves be ok with eating people. Oh they are also ok with making dwarf bone crowns and such. The sun is that intense because I genned the world in advanced mode with a temp range of 70 to 200 and plopped down in a Scorching biome.

Drabblegag is up, and hes even the expedition leader....and he has a fling already. Good job playa. :P

EDIT: fixed double image oops.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:09:53 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:37:24 am »

Yeah planning to test the danger in a later migrant wave or such, I might have embarked somewhere not quite hot enough, not sure. It said Scorching which is what usually results in dwarfwax, but none of the starting seven, or even the two animals embark gave me, melted. I was SLIGHTLY disappoint.

Has all the water in the murky pools turned into steam?  Does it say "Hot" when you create an activity zone? If not, the embark site might not be hot enough to melt your dwarves. I've already had scorching embarks in the past, and dwarves could stay quite long outside without melting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Drabblegag is up, and hes even the expedition leader....and he has a fling already. Good job playa. :P
You accidentally posted the same image twice.  ???
In addition, I wanna know my dwarf's lover, please.
Pages: [1] 2 3