Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Eugenics  (Read 4048 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenics
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 08:24:21 pm »

eugenics

So long as you're not killing or compelling people, it's probably fine.

Example:
Guy is short and wants kids taller than he is so they don't grow up being teased. He marries a tall woman.

Acceptable

Example:
Guy is short and wants kids to be taller than him so he goes and kills or forcefully sterilizes everyone under 5'6 so they they won't reproduce.

Not so good

Anyway, eugenics is a case of societal mass hypocrisy. Kind of like how "drugs are bad" but the majority of everyone drinks caffeinated beverages. (Oh...it's only some drugs, is that it?)

The eugenics programs in the US traumatized a lot of people, and so now it's socially obligatory to pretend that eugenics are bad. Just like drugs are bad. Except the ones we like and we don't call them drugs because drugs are bad.

If a woman chooses a husband or a sperm donor based on whatever arbitrary characteristic she likes: he's tall, he's handsome, he has money, he's intelligent, whatever...nobody complains much about that except the people who aren't selected. That's eugenics, but we don't call it eugenics.

I suppose for the average person with a weak grasp of the concept would probably draw the line at social organizations acting to promote/discourage particular traits. For example, if an individual chooses to have a baby with someone who is X, even if they admit and agree that the motivation is because of X, probably most people would be ok with it. Or at least not complain very much. But the moment any organized group started promoting it, for example...if somebody were to make a sperm collection facility that only collected sperm from people with X and admitted that their motivation was to promote X, that might bother people even if X was something they personally agreed was a desirable trait.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:22 pm »

Guys, this is not the place to discuss such things (you are in the wrong sub-forum), and I would advise you to drop the subject altogether.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 08:48:49 pm »

Chillax bro. Clearly there was a mistake made and there is some confusion into it. But there is no need to get all red texty and vaguely threatening. Take a pill.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 09:11:18 pm »

So, is this a suggestion game or a sign-up game? Are we a eugenicist or are we the ones threatened with being eugenized, or whatever the proper word is?

I assume it's the later. My char will probably want a weapon, to ward off the eugenicists after us. I'll pick either a Crowbar or preferably some sort of firearm is it's available. Who else is in the party?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 09:27:16 pm »

Who else is in the party?

I will be a black female disabled lesbian with diabetes, hemophilia, a cleft palate and Parkinson's disease...whose life goal is to use fertility drugs to complete with the octomom.

"Eugenics is wrong, sonny. Don't get in my way."

This post contains Intended Humor(tm). Please use responsibly. Intended Humor(tm) has been known to cause laughing, spilled drinks, sore facial muscles, angry people who didn't get the joke, and unwarranted moderator reports. Please don't use Intended Humor while driving or operating machinery.

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 09:43:56 pm »

Guys, this is not the place to discuss such things (you are in the wrong sub-forum), and I would advise you to drop the subject altogether.
Arms, for the Armchair!
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 03:47:24 am »

So, is this a suggestion game or a sign-up game?
I'll think something up.

Meanwhile, you wake up in a dark room, chained to a bed. The shackles are a bit loose.

Who are you?
What do you do?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 03:56:50 am »

Dex Hardy

A private investigator
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 03:58:29 am »

Harry Goodwood

Chained bed tester.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »

Dirk Lovestrong, millionaire playboy.

And we SERIOUSLY got to stop doing all those drugs - how do we keep waking up like these?

DAMN, though, we can't be held responsible! It's our meddlesome irresponsible genes that keep getting us into messes like this!

We hope it at least turns out to be a kinky mess.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 02:37:06 pm »

You remember your name - you're Dex Hardy, a private investigator! And quite good at your job, too.
But you can't for the life of you remember how you ended up here - all you remember is going out for a walk and stepping into a bar.
But first, you should get out of these shackles and into a nice suit; you are currently in your boxers. The bedframe doesn't seem overly stable, and you might be able to smash it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 02:38:50 pm »

Rock back and forth.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 02:44:52 pm »

You rock back and forth, and after a while, the bed collapses.
You are now stuck with the headboard stuck to your feet and the footpiece stuck to your feet. You can move around, but only slowly.
The Bay12 postcard club

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 02:47:41 pm »

Break the boards by slamming them on the wall.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 02:51:18 pm »

You slam the boards against the wall, and they break into pieces. The shackles still are around you arms and legs, but now are nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

Try to remember: What were you doing last night?
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 [2] 3