Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: wtfembark: A hole in the ocean  (Read 19673 times)

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wtfembark: A hole in the ocean
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:39:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see there's a volcano peeking through. I've scummed a few times to see what happens and it caps off with obsidian as expected. Still, it's pretty unique and I'd like suggestions for RP ideas or megaproject ideas. I think I need to build a bridge that goes there of course, and then pump out the water and mine out the cap. But then what?

The water biome is benign but the southwestern land biome has zombie elephants.  8)

If you want to play it you can DL my whole DF folder at

https://hotfile.com/dl/188276922/d98913e/DF.rar.html

I haven't unpaused yet in that save, but I've set up everything except designating mining. The military is 2 axe dwarves half equipped but the one armorsmith dwarf needs to make them 2 mail shirts, 2 greaves, and 2 shields from the bars I brought.

If you DL my folder you ought to check out the world params I have for "Advanced World" --> "Medium Region". It makes good worlds.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: wtfembark: A hole in the ocean
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:13:03 pm »

You should pump out the magma, make an island, and live on it, expanding as needed to get to the ocean floor. S'what I would do if I had the time. and patience.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:04:30 am »

Can't wait till DF has ocean geography... And adventurers can hold their breath >_>

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:29:50 am »

Can't wait till DF has ocean geography... And adventurers can hold their breath >_>
Ah, the legend of the people who can hold their breath...
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:52 am »

It's not the end of the world... but you can see it from here.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:02:03 am »

Build your fort over the top of it and find some way to force the magma down and build your fortress in the magma tube.

I'd imagine you could do something like go out, build a retaining wall to keep the ocean out (with pumps keeping the ocean out while you do) then preparing the obsidianized layer with hatches linked to a lever or something and pump water back in and then pop all the hatches open and obsidianize the next layer down of magma, dig down, prepare that level, repeat.

Of course, I think if you popped open whatever your bottom floor is for magma forges and such, that it would start filling back up through the hole in the floor, so you'd probably have to sequester some magma off to the side to use for forges once you're below the ocean floor.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:21 am »

The water biome is benign but the southwestern land biome has zombie elephants.  8)

Not once you get to the Magma it hasn't!
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 06:59:30 pm »

Your first step is going to be warding off the zombie elephants. Holy shit.

After that.... magma pumps to obsidianize the whole of the ocean. Yes. The whole ocean.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »

Your first step is going to be warding off the zombie elephants. Holy shit.

After that.... magma pumps to obsidianize the whole of the ocean. Yes. The whole ocean.

Flatten the ocean is Phase 1 of Clearedpages's Master Plan.

Things quickly became quite a nightmare. I was able to throw up some walls, a channel, and a drawbridge and get my initial 7 walled in. Migrants came and were slaughtered by the elephants. Here's my entrance.

We have a plump helmet farm in the soil layer and the beginnings of a fort in the first stone layer. A still, a forge, specialized masonry shops (obsidian, microcline, and conglomerate), carpentry, jewelry, and an atomsmasher. The next step is going down to the caverns for wood.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:02:28 pm »

My immediate reaction is that the easiest way to work on this thing will be to undermine and create a trench a few Z levels deep at the most North-Easterly peninsula. You'll then be isolated from the Zombie Elephants and be able to work (and use them as Marksdorf practice)

Does everything in the evil biome spontaneously reanimate?
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:26:39 pm »

♪There's a hole in the bottom of the sea♪
♪There's a hole in the bottom of the sea♫
♫There's a hole; There's a hole♪
♫There's a hole in the bottom of the sea♫

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 08:50:32 pm »

My immediate reaction is that the easiest way to work on this thing will be to undermine and create a trench a few Z levels deep at the most North-Easterly peninsula. You'll then be isolated from the Zombie Elephants and be able to work (and use them as Marksdorf practice)

Does everything in the evil biome spontaneously reanimate?
Yea it does, OH GOD it does...unless you have a way to clear out the bodies quickly and safely (big, well equipped, military) everything that dies out there is going to get back up and try to murder the ever-loving-hell out of anything with a pulse it can get to. Also zombies don't breathe so secure any water access your fort has. If you aren't careful about corpse disposal you can very quickly have a horde of zombies out there that is big enough to quickly repel sieges and megabeasts...which will then reanimate.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:36:25 pm »

Everything in the land biome reanimates. But everything in the water biome does not. That means I can have butchery, bonecrafting, and leatherworks if I place those stockpiles and workshops in a more northern area.

I've gotten to the first cavern layer and I'm working on securing a large area of it for the wood resources. Parallel to this I'm digging out future tree farms in the soil layers. For the time being my only goal is cage traps. When I clear out the zombies and start getting migrants I'll work on a more elegant solution like marksdwarves. The first 2 migrant waves and the first caravan joined the ranks of the undead and there will only be exponential increase unless I get things under control! Elephant corpses, yak corpes, boar alpaca horse hippo dwarf corpses. Yeah there's no way direct combat will work until I get more dwarfpower!

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:17:22 am »

*insert logical plan here* Reboot PFTW.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 04:33:46 am »

A cage trap is fine too

no really. Build a gazillion cages (you have sand right?) and lure in, like, 10 or so zombies. Cage them. Pit them and obsidianize them. The magma won't be lethal but the turning-to-stone part should be. Then just reinstall the cages, lure a few more zombies in, rinse repeat. Alternatively, leave the land biome for later and just stay underwater forever.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8