Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapons that gain names  (Read 1991 times)

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapons that gain names
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:32:41 pm »

Do weapons that dwarfs name gain the x3 artifact bonus?  Does this stack with its original item quality, or would it replace it?
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons that gain names
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:51:56 pm »

it becomes some kind of psuedo-artifact. it maintains it's original quality and everything. really just a flavor thing, And weapons that gain names are basically the next closest thing to that soldier after their wife/husband.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:32:21 pm »

Yes, take Bilbo's normal everyday iron dagger he looted from a dead orc's hoard. He named it sting because he had an adventurer high from killing many un-indigenous Giant Cave Spiders in a forest. Which saved 13 historical dwarf figures.
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:54:40 am »

it becomes some kind of psuedo-artifact. it maintains it's original quality and everything. really just a flavor thing, And weapons that gain names are basically the next closest thing to that soldier after their wife/husband.
Well currently they don't give a shit if you take their dragon-slaying axe and give it to Urist McRecruit, or crush it under a bridge for that matter. I expect that will change in an update or two.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 10:16:55 am »

Well currently they don't give a shit if you take their dragon-slaying axe and give it to Urist McRecruit, or crush it under a bridge for that matter. I expect that will change in an update or two.

Yeah, but damn is it satisfying when you get that announcement, especially when it was something awesome like killing a giant noseless cyclopic horse with deadly spittle using a glorified copper toothpick. Or beat a giant skinless gila monster to death with a bronze mace.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:22:27 am »

Yeah, but damn is it satisfying when you get that announcement, especially when it was something awesome like killing a giant noseless cyclopic horse with deadly spittle using a glorified copper toothpick. Or beat a giant skinless gila monster to death with a bronze mace.
Concurred. I once had a named copper battleaxe with over 30 goblin kills and two forgotten beast kills.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:51:07 am »

Yes, take Bilbo's normal everyday iron dagger he looted from a dead orc's hoard. He named it sting because he had an adventurer high from killing many un-indigenous Giant Cave Spiders in a forest. Which saved 13 historical dwarf figures.
Perhaps it's off-topic, but it wasn't quite "normal everyday". It did, after all, eventually manage to "put a pin in Shelob", not to mention how it would glow whenever orcs were around. It was made in Gondolin, as I recall, which was in Beleriand.

Less off-topic: Splint's right - weapons don't gain any special qualities when they're named.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:10:57 pm »

Funny enough I just read "the Hobbit"again, and I recall Sting being elvish make.

And you guys are lucky, all my dwarves name their weapons by sparring before they even kill anything.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »

The copper spear and mace were actual occurances. The spear was even that soldier's first kill. The mace.... i think it was my champion's what, 90-somethingth kill, fourth FB.