Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: wtfembark: A hole in the ocean  (Read 19707 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: wtfembark: A hole in the ocean
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 03:33:16 am »

ZOMBIE hippos will fuck you, sure. But regular old hippos don't give an ass about dwarves, and vice versa.

Also I don't get cavy. I get full-on pigs. And they shred me. Hard.

I want to edit my raws to make pigs trainable for war. Because holy shit. They're already Best Animal (milkable and non-grazing), and they're scary enough in the wild that farming them for war would be legit.

On the subject of magma, I actually didn't bother digging in from the top first... but that's because I REALLY needed magma forges and glass furnaces, to get cage traps, to stop the god damn zombies from marauding across the river and CANCELING EVERY JOB EVER. I dug in from the side.

First time, I burned a miner to death by accident. Second time I scummed early because I just did my math wrong. Third time I didn't kill anyone, but made a bridge out of andesite instead of what I thought was anhydrite. Ooooops. Oh well, only problem was that the lava flow didn't have an "off" switch, and I had to sacrifice a useless peasant from the most recent migration wave who got himself half-impaled on a zombie pig miner to obsidianize part of the magma channel, just before where the bridge was. I'll probably use minecarts or something similar to nuke the above part of the ocean in case I want to dig in from the top, but, that's a later project.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:35:12 am by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 04:02:00 pm »

If you're having trouble with pressure, then you should make your cisterns like so:

Code: [Select]
XXX
~~XXXXX
XX~~~~X
 X~~~~X
 XXXXXX
X = Wall, ~ = Liquid
The diagonal movement removes the pressure from the liquid. I've used this in almost every fort I've made and it works every time.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 09:53:50 pm »

Calamity!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I built a square floor out of obsidian blocks that exactly corresponds to the area that I carved out around the volcano tube. The water reactor dangles from a flooring connection on Z+1.

I removed all of the stairs in the hollowed out area so only open space remains.

Z0:

Z-1:

Z-2:

Z-3:

Z-9:

At the lowest z-level I smoothed everything and carved fortifications in the north and west walls so that the downflowing water will flow off the map.

When I deconstruct the tile holding the whole squarebridge together it plummets down and punches through the ocean floor around the tube. This causes all of the water on Z-1, including the water on top of the volcano, to flow into the chasm.

But a miscalculation causes a cave in into an unrevealed section of the cavern which releases a forgotten beast that was lurking there for years!

Before:

After:

But what is Dwarf Fortress without it's miscalculations? Only a minor setback I say. Whatever the case, I am now free to build down:

And clear the last barrier between me and the sweet, sweet...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2013, 06:35:57 am »

Truly your mountain has forsaken all good in your world. It is as much obsidian as it is made out of the corpses of dead Dwarves.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 07:49:42 am »

What good mountain isn't?

Now that you have magma and an infinite supply of water, your wood worries are ended. Why? Now you need no fuel and you can turn sections of ocean into tree farms with obsidian and water. Or simply abandon the world to the depredations of zombies and rise above the waves!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 08:04:09 am »

Ah, that's what the huge staircase was for. Very clever. Very clever indeed.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 09:51:10 am »

This is Dwarf Fortress at its finest. :D
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 06:37:54 pm »

I don't believe trees or vegitation will naturally grow on muddied cast odsidian...

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 08:26:18 pm »

I must say, you were very unlucky with all the trouble you had with the embark. What I did was moat off my little starting island (well, now it's an island) and selectively choose when to let bridges down, and I've already got the two first migrant waves in. I guess it would be more of a problem if you started to build up a undead population up top, but if you don't get it going it's rather easy. Frankly, starting on the peninsula gives you a huge advantage.

Also, the ocean is extremely shallow so you can just build your fortress under it (layer -3). And it's not haunted.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 10:23:03 pm »

Turning the ocean (in whole or in part) into obsidian is also a good idea.

Because !!!MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAGMA!!!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 12:30:04 pm »

Unearthing the final layers of obsidian between us and the delicious magma proved to be yet another challenge for the overseer. The whole world seemingly grinds to a halt as the ocean is penetrated and drained into the abyss. Days seem like years. Dwarves move at a snail's pace as they dutifully march back and forth across the great bridge. Perhaps the sight of such flowing water causes feelings of sobriety? But it is a necessary evil for the time being.

Using such crude techniques as cave ins meant any flood-cancelling system such as bridges or floodgates would simply be crushed under the collapse. To permanently stop the torrent is a task only magma can fulfill.

But it proves elusive.

The first step was clearing away as much accessible obsidian as possible, but it is no easy task. Miners near the surface are pulled into the vortex by the currents and pile up in the flooded crypt deep below. Deeper, on the penultimate level with magma only inches below their feet, the bravest miners channel away obsidian here and there but this runs a chance of a minor eruption straight into their face. They are working at a z-level that is below the volcano's natural equilibrium (the ocean did quite a number on this magma pipe) so lava can spawn out of thin air into any tile that has no floors below it. It is a hostile environment where a ball of lava can explode in your face with absolutely no warning.

As dwarves combust and leave their singed belongings behind it only encourages the unware to claim their treasures and trek into the inferno themselves.

Meanwhile masons build a rigid square dike at the perimeter so that when the water flow eventually stops, the ocean's waves will be held at bay. It requires scaffolding and some careful planning around the corners, but work progresses despite the more stupid dwarves walling themselves in.

Forgotten beasts with poisonous vapors plauge the main fortress 3 times in a row, sending peasants and warriors alike to hospital ward to have their melting skin operated upon. The goblins never cease their attacks and occasionally lose battles to their own reanimated comrades, fueling the exponentiation of undead rebirth.

And lastly, a terrible consequence! The overseer demands perfection in all his creations and the miners are leaving behind terrible scars on the magma pipe. Every attempt at channeling leaves unclearable ramps on the zlevel below. There are also a few tangled stains of completely innaccessible obsidian caused by the chaotic liquid mixings at the beginning of the embark.

There is yet again only one solution to completely clear everything away.

A tremendous effort. The fortress dwindled from 110 dwarves to 80 amidst the chaos these last 2 years. But the reward is so, so worth it.

A war with water to win liquid fire. It's time to end this.

Prepare the Reactor.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 12:51:38 pm »

You're insane.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:36 pm »

It's awesome.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 01:30:03 pm »

Very nice, very dwarfy.  May the red gold bring !!fun!! to your enemies.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2013, 02:25:40 am »

May the best fluid win.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8