Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: wtfembark: A hole in the ocean  (Read 19692 times)

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wtfembark: A hole in the ocean
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 08:13:38 pm »

Update.

Migrants finally arrive again, for the first time in years. And they don't stop coming. Caravans arrive too, and they don't always die every time. The sacrifices those dwarves made before paid off for itself. There truly was no way to succeed in this land without purging it first, and now I consider it conquered. The marksdwarf squad is stationed above 90% of the time and picks off everything. But it wasn't easy. There were still walls and bridges to be made and between the goblins and zombies it left little time for securing the fort. Dwarves would go out carrying a block and die to some lurker. The hauler dwarf would drag his body to the disposal while the next mason in line would take his try at laying the brick before dying.

But regardless, industry explodes as the population rises and rises. Dwarves continue to die to any imaginable thing, of course, but the migrant waves always replenish and the population has finally reached an important threshold. Perhaps we can expect seige...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't let the population number fool you; I lost more than twice that amount of dwarves in the in-between years!

And don't let their job titles fool you either. This fort has no trappings or fluff. No one is crafting. No one is jeweling. No one is weaving or coin making. No one specializes except the smithies.

Miners strip the layers for the minerals and masons make blocks and slabs. Loggers clearcut the underground forests and we burn the logs faster than they can supply it. A good 25% of the dwarves have farming, brewing, and cooking set to make sure that stuff doesn't stop. And mechanics and metalsmiths make preparations for the breaching. Everyone else is military.

We don't need to waste any labor on profitmaking because the hundreds of dead left their treasures behind. Clothes, goblinite, caravan goods, even animals to butcher (or train) from the elves. Here are our trade stores. We send away maybe 10 bins a year to buy iron, steel, and ammo.

The land is mine.

And soon the sea.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:04 pm »

Who needs to bring bags? Kill it, skin it, make bag with leather.

Yes, the bag will likely come to life and try to eat you, but that's just life in the fortress.

Wrong. Tanned skins aka leather doesn't reanimate. Nor do hairs, if spun in time.

It's called sarcasm you dolt.

also I feel like making leather bags is a waste of valuable leather. All leather goes towards making quivers and stockpiling for moods, and MAYBE light armor if that's a thing. We have plant-based fiber for a reason, people!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 10:42:54 pm »

Most impressive. How did you get a cavern layer like that, by the way? Max openness, minimum passages, or something?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 11:14:35 pm »

I am incredibly impressed.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 11:20:08 pm »

Most impressive. How did you get a cavern layer like that, by the way? Max openness, minimum passages, or something?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Advanced_world_generation#Cavern_Parameters

I set openness to 100 and density to 0. I think it might just be luck that it's mostly on 1 z level though.

As for the embark points setup... I was experimenting ok! I was trying to come up with something that could survive a zombie raven onslaught while miners deramped a volcanic mountain before digging even digging a single tile. But then I just happened to stumble on this place when I was hopping between sites.

Also I've never been a glass guy, dunno why. But I'll definitely utilize it sometime. Maybe in this fort if you think it's better than obsidian and metals for something. First I need magma, and I said I wont use magma until I directly dig out the caldera. So this is going to be a bit of an engineering experience for me to pump this water. The river at the bottom doesn't flow for for water pumps, and neither biome has wind :(

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 08:41:14 am »

That's why people invented DWR. Also, I just noticed your dead/missing counts was over 1300. Ouch. (Including merchant and zombies and everything, I know).

I just had to resist a necromancer ambush that snuck into my fortress because I had mislinked a lever. This was my Stalingrad moment, all my military fell, then all my miners and woodcutters, then waves upon waves of civilians, drafted to slow the zombie onslaught while masons were flooring the top of my central staircase. By the time the cover was up, my population was down to 19 from a high of 124.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 09:40:21 pm »

I have yet to play in absolutely forever, but this looks cool, so i'ma play it.

As a refresher.

To ease myself back into the game, yaknow?

Maybe breach the cavern for the first time <.<

Or use magma for the first time >.>

Try out a haunted embark for once <.<

You know, get my first hopefully working military going :D

... On a scale of 1 to boatmurdered, how screwed am I?

<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 10:38:30 pm »

I think the reanimation's going to put you pretty darn close to boatmurdered... I most definitely am not going to try that one yet as I have yet to survive embark on anything more lethal than profane dust and thieving monkeys...
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 10:52:31 pm »

Well, zombie elephants are definitely worse than just elephants. But boatmurdered was a while back and didnt have z-levels you could utilized. I'd say on a scale from 1 to boatmurdered you're just shipwrecked.

Update

Unearthing a sunken volcano is exactly as formidable a task as I had anticipated. Without magma (we have to earn it first) there's no simple option of simply obsidianizing the problematic water layer. I knew we'd need power so I built a reactor.

And I tried many different pump setups but nothing really worked. At one point I had 15 pumps pulling water from a 5x5 square area but it still wasn't enough to allow me to build downwards. Oceans have a lot of fucking water. Even a 2/7 water tile flowing past for a tick is enough to cancel building the upstairs on the level below. I'm sure a more qualified engineer could tackle these fluid dynamics but it's just not my forte.

Feeling set back, but not defeated, I decide to take a more direct approach.

And...

As the construction crew prepares for this excavation the fort continues to grow like a cancer, carving through stone and forest to supply it.

I also finally took care of that webshooting beastfly.

And dwarves from all the world flock to Clearedpages, the fort of Legend founded at the dawn of time in year 4.

110 strong with a military of 24.

And a treasure trove of artifacts to horde.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:40 pm »

The biggest problem isn't getting killed, it's getting so many job cancellations that I can't build any defenses. The elephants are on the other side of the river but it's scaring my guys so much they can't even get to the stockpiles that were originally set up and they are all about to die of thirst.

Well, then on the second try the problem was getting killed. Turns out zombie hippos can swim.

TRY THREE INC.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:30 pm »

The fetid ripper?

I wish I got so lucky with my artifact names.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 11:32:20 pm »

Question; I can't seem to turn the zombies bones into bolts o.O

Is this a bug?

On topic, your method of volcanic extraction is brilliant.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:12 pm »

The biggest problem isn't getting killed, it's getting so many job cancellations that I can't build any defenses. The elephants are on the other side of the river but it's scaring my guys so much they can't even get to the stockpiles that were originally set up and they are all about to die of thirst.

Well, then on the second try the problem was getting killed. Turns out zombie hippos can swim.

TRY THREE INC.

Indeed it's the designation canceling. Thats why it took years for me just to connect all the broken islands and get everything atom smashed. One thing you can try is playing with the spawns. The initial save has never been unpaused, which means the first animal spawn is random. You could get lucky and the first spawn would be Hippos or Otters or Osprey from the water biome.

edit: all refuse, including bones, is set to "Dump" in the "Orders" menu. o->r->b will toggle it

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 11:36:00 pm »

TRY THREE INC.

Indeed it's the designation canceling. Thats why it took years for me just to connect all the broken islands and get everything atom smashed. One thing you can try is playing with the spawns. The initial save has never been unpaused, which means the first animal spawn is random. You could get lucky and the first spawn would be Hippos or Otters or Osprey from the water biome.

Or I could get cavy boar. Like I just did lol.

Hippos would not be a lucky first spawn. They can swim, and a single hippo destroys the initial military.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 12:11:24 am »

Dude, that artifact steel axe is just completely brutally metal. punny? The Spiral of Evisceration? Hellooo power metal band name.

Feeling set back, but not defeated, I decide to take a more direct approach.
And...
Huh. I don't see what's going on here. I can see a massive staircase around the volcano, I get that, and it's z-levels, but I don't get what's supposed to happen with water, magma, and carving a gigantor staircase around the magma pipe.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8