Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: wtfembark: A hole in the ocean  (Read 19531 times)

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wtfembark: A hole in the ocean
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2013, 02:53:32 pm »

Building scaffolding is a bit wearisome task so I've found some activities and sideprojects to poke at inbetween designating the obsidian block staircases.

First was metalsmithing. Behold the power of minecarts!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A nice neat little forge area. The large stockpile (no bins allowed) accepts charcoal, flux, pig iron, and any metal item (except bolts and cages) that is not masterwork or artifact. Then it gets dumped in front of the awaiting smelters, who melt all that crap and in turn provide bars to be sent down over to the smithies. One of those forges is set to only allow legendary workers because it's made from an artifact steel anvil and an adamantine bar.

I've also finally got the carpentry moved to a more appropriate location instead of just throwing the wood stockpiles into any open hallway.

But there's still more tidying and clutter to deal with! Mainly food and booze; cooks brewers and almost constant butchering a dogsplosion are causing an almost ridiculous food surplus.

I'm basically stuck throwing up a (p)->(f) stockpile into any open space I find. I'm considering quantum stockpiling all this crap, but I think instead I'll just have to make an absolutely massive dining hall complete with kitchens, stills, misc workshops like fishery, and of course some enourmous food stockpiles. This clutter has to go!

Why's the brewer throwing a tantrum? Why are there so many dwarves with red arrow bad thoughts? Why are their corpses in the dining room?! Why's all the nice furniture getting broken?!?!

Well I wanted to set up a glass industry down in the first cavern:

It's got everything I need. There's a white sand floor under the cave moss. I can make bags out of the captured forgotten beast silk (or just regular cave spider silk if I'm feeling lazy sober). There's trees to make into ash if I want different kinds of glass. And the magma is flowing in right now.

But a lot of things happened simultaneously; here's how it went down:

First, you can clearly see I carved out a huge chunk of the cavern pillars and the cavern floor just because I thought it looked ugly and I like right angles. Seeing as I have so many dwarves I didn't really worry too much about the occasional cave-in, but a few did die or get sent to the hospital. Meanwhile a firebreathing forgotten beast attacked and torched a few dwarves before the marksdwarf squad put it down. Then it came back as a zombie and ate a few more before it died for good. Right as my attention was occupied a Giant Olm somehow snuck up to the mainlevel and pathed towards some buildings it could destroy. Those buildings?

SLABS

It tore apart the mausoleum and released a bunch of old ghosts that were put to rest years a go. About 20 ghosts instantly popped into existence and a few of those are murdering ghosts. A legendary axedwarf was scared to death and the mayor's wife was killed by one. The mayor went insane and died in a fistfight. This caused two of his friends to go insane, and a few other dwarfs started throwing tantrums. There's still bodies to be hauled to the atomsmasher and a new forgotten beast has just arrived.

So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2013, 02:56:46 pm »

You are a legend.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2013, 03:03:36 pm »

So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!
Losing is Fun.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »

This may be the most dwarven fort I've ever seen.

When Armok looks upon it, he cries tears of the finest booze. Booze tears of joy.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2013, 03:45:22 pm »

Ah, you've suffered worse. You've got plenty of dwarves left to re-slab!

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2013, 04:24:48 pm »

Ha, literally only a minute after posting that last update, a goblin seige hit just in time to join the fun. They were defeated, but it's just fuel for the fire.

60 dwarves and spiraling! This is great though, I'll be completely honest and say I was actually going to engineer some accidents if things were stable for too long. Bedrooms are freeing up. I can turn off farming, brewing, and cooking for a few years. The survivors will get the "doesn't care about anything" trait. FPS is increasing. I might even get a fell mood out of this. Let's go!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »

My God this is simply awesome.

makes a great read too!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2013, 08:21:38 pm »

Looks like you don't need to dig deeper now.  :P
When this fortress finally crumbles, do you mind sharing the save again? So a few of us can read the legends or try to reclaim it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2013, 10:49:42 pm »

We continue.

Most of us have had a tantrum spiral before, but have you ever had a tantrum spiral in a reanimating biome during a goblin seige? If not, you should aim for it, because it's damn fun as hell. I always enjoy a cataclysm that brings a fortress down to its strongest individuals. All of the useless lollygaggers, drunk goodfornothings, throw tantrums when shit hits the fan and end up dying in the chaos. Fuck you I say. If you'd rather cry and break things while there's ramparts to defend and goblinite to smelt, I'm more than happy to have someone drag your corpse to the garbage disposal! Meanwhile the real hardened dwarves, usually those who have been around and know how things really work in this fort... they live on.

The population hit a low point of 25 but eventually bounced back. Migrants have arrived, despite the danger!

40 dwarves, but 8 of them are children, leaving only 32 working bodies.

My military consists of 4 squads: An axe squad, a "choose your own melee weapon" squad, and two marksdwarf squads.

EVERYTHING GOT OBLITERATED except for 2 legendary axedwarves in the first squad, but I'm slowly rebuilding.

Ares, one of the initial 7, continues to lead his military against the hordes.

Without the bodycount there's no real work to be done, so instead I've done my best to tidy up the fortress, get everything organized and color code the workshops, smooth things, replace all the tantrum-destroyed furniture, and make more centralized stockpiles. Finished up a massive dining hall as well, with 120 tables and 120 chairs. It's huge, which means dwarves are less likely to stand on the same tile (and socialize). I moved all the artifacts into a secure area and surrounded them with tigers jaguars and dogs. I also completed a plantprocessing/kitchen/brewing/butchering/leather/cloth factory area right under the dining hall and right above the caverns. The only industries I havent started up are glass, clay, seige engineering, dyeing, and soap. Maybe the most important little side project has been putting doors everywhere, even lots of redundant ones. Sometimes you can use this to contain a tantrum spiral. I think the one that happened to me was mainly caused by the mayor dieing. If he had died in a room with doors, I could have forbid the doors and his death would have gone unkown.

Visit the fortress here:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11560-clearedpages

It's an empty shell with a comical abundance of booze, food, open bedrooms, wide empty halls, and only a dedicated few to continue expanding it.
And the most recent development? I finished building bridges in the 2nd cavern and there's a shit ton of gold to pull outta there.

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2013, 11:46:55 pm »

I got your original folder and have been playing the crap out of it. It's been very instructive, and showed me several interesting things about DF that might not be so obvious to the average player.

Strangely I had very little trouble dealing with the indigent creatures, except there were constant interruptions. But everything subsurface was done well.

One thing that has not been tried is abandoning the fortress right away at start, then when you reclaim, the magma should rise 1 level... would that have been enough?

Anyway, my constructions were similar to yours, except I messed up at the volcano, and much of the center of the map was magmafied, causing obsidian peninsulae and archipelagos.

After a tantrum spiral hit, followed by inevitable abandonment, I decided to reclaim. But I wanted more land, so I started one square to the south, and using Embark Everywhere, tried to take over a 3x3 portion of the old site, with some extra land.

Except... the game wouldn't accept that. It insisted I get the whole 4x4 map, either because I had constructed to the north or because it had to load all the junk it had to throw around randomly. Which gave me a 4x5 embark (WITHOUT the large embark warning).

Also, now the magma was GONE and replaced with water. I guess it didn't save correctly? AND, now I embarked on a very narrow wavy obsidian platform in the middle of water.

At this point it became impossible to handle everything. Even though it WASN'T a reclaim, just a regular embark on a former site, everything was strewn everywhere. So I had to pick it all up, PLUS pick everything from the narrow obsidian ledge (including some very confused chickens), AND get constantly interrupted by more of teh evil goodness.

At this point I was getting a lot of undead, and my new dwarves, even well-armed and in a military, were scared of them. They kept running back and forth on the obsidian shores, not getting anything done except a new season of Benny Hill.

Then, suddenly, fall hit and all the animated evil biome plants changed into generic red trees: T TTT TTT TTT and the game crashed. More stuff that didn't save properly somehow.

Of course I like your story better... but what a wild and instructive ride! And now I know not to try to partially re-embark... although the worse FPS drain was when the water and magma were fighting it out, not from the larger mapsize.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:54:19 pm by Baccar Wozat »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2013, 03:20:47 am »

For one thing at least; I think on reclaim or re-embark, or even sleeping in adventure mode, an ocean biome will try to re-fill with 7/7 salt water all tiles that were considered ocean before. This was a consistent issue with my island fort attempts. As well, any tile that has been mined out, even down in the caverns, will try to spawn 7/7 salt water when you re-claim, re-embark or sleep in  adventure mode unless you've built something solid there. So far as I've seen at least.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2013, 12:45:58 pm »

Military Industrial Complex

Only this can describe the situation at Clearedpages. As migrants come and children mature they are immediately conscripted to the military. After the nuclear meltdown left the fortress hanging by the skin of its teeth, we've rebounded to a more strict and streamlined architecture. But Spartan life is not without its rewards. An intelligencia class easily provides masterwork furniture, clothing, armor, food, and drink for all. Military dwarves are free for 6 out of the 12 months and may try their hands at the craft of their choice, or simply throw parties in any of the multiple dining halls. The barracks is stocked full of masterfully crafted steel armor and weapons; we take care of the soldiers!

I organized everything into 8 squads. There are 6 melee squads ( axe, sword, spear, mace, hammer, and wrestling) and 2 marksdwarf squads. I'm always prepared for the situation! If there's a zombie outbreak I can use the mace and hammer dwarves so there aren't excessive limbs reanimating. If a forgotten beast shows up that's a task for the axe and spear dwarves. If there's a goblin seige I can rely almost exclusively on the marksdwarves! I very much like having everything so neatly organized, and with fairly small squads (less than 5) they are almost always finding time to train with a partner.

Ares continues to be the champion of Clearedpages. Here he is practicing in the barracks.

He wields The Spiral of Evisceration, a steel battleaxe, in his left hand, and The Simplicities of Onslaught, a steel shield, in his right. He has adamantium threads sewn into his arm and artifact candy greaves protecting his legs. He has two hundred and thirty four kills to his name.

The population is 50, 28 are in the military, and 7 dwarves are children, which leaves only 15 dwarves who are always free to mine, cut wood, forge equipment, or build new furniture. Food easily takes care of itself with only one farm plot down in the caverns. It is set to plump helmets in the spring and winter, but pig tails in the summer and fall. Here's the first cavern, now fully functional with glass, clay, farming, yak pastures, a hospital right near the water's edge, and the mayor's room up at the top near the magma.

You can probably guess why I put the mayor up at the magma pool. I've gone through no less than 5 mayors since the last update. The first one that I had was really awesome; he always demanded slabs to be built! But he died in the catastrophe of year 24, and his sucessors were... less than adequate. I finally have one that likes coins and only forbids export of coins. Before I had nobles forbidding exports of crafts! Of bins! ...

Unfortunately, I may be stuck with only a mayor for a very long time. I had a baron for about one month before he died, and they are irreplaceable. Therefore, the only higher nobility I could have is the King. No less than 10 artifacts depict his ascension in year 1. His name is Shorast Shootspun. The dwarves here labor to build him an obsidian castle above the terraformed ocean. But there is an unfortunate problem. The most important requirement for the king to arrive is your fort's population. You need around 140 dwarves.

This fort has driven dwarfkind to the brink of extinction.

Worldgen was set to end at year 2, and Clearedpages was founded in year 4. There was only 1 civilization, The Square Lances. I started with 7 dwarves and 2 of them had a baby. Then I got 2 hardcoded migrant waves in the first summer and fall. After that, all of the dwarves are immigrants from the mountainhome.

It is year 30 and every single dwarf has died except for the 50 here at Clearedpages. Migrants tapered off around year 27 or so; I was only getting 3 or 4 at a time. By 28 they stopped coming. Everything died. My units list has over 3000 dead/missing! I've done everything I can to attract migrants; I export silver and gold crafts and filled the fort with awesome decorations. Sieges are killed quickly and all the caravans, even the elves, are well protected. I actually havent had one death in over 2 years.

There are dwarves out there of course, but only liasons, caravan guards, and the king. I honestly think every available migrant has already arrived, but I'll keep holding out. I'm actually genuinely interested in this kind of endgame scenario. Perhaps much later on, if I lose the fort and begin another one, that fort will never get migrants after the first year? Sounds like a great sequel, but who knows, this fort is still chugging along and transforming the land, both above and below.

If I want that king to arrive, I might have to produce 140 dwarves "naturally". Anyone know how to encourage dwarfy lovin?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »

3x3 room + couple, forced together for a year.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2013, 01:03:12 pm »

I wish I had some advice. I don't have any of this sort of experience, though, as I generally try to avoid children. And they take several years anyways.
Though I'm betting bedrooms of "<No descriptor> Bedroom" quality or better would help, as well as multiple high quality dining halls. And statue gardens. And having crypts for everyone, even the living and not-yet-born dwarves.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2013, 01:10:36 pm »

If you want them to love, you need them to bond. If you want them to bond, you need them to have free time spent ine the same room. Not necessarily couple by couple.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8