Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I tried to colonize Hell. It didn't go so well. A postmortem.  (Read 11252 times)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I tried to colonize Hell. It didn't go so well. A postmortem.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 03:57:58 pm »

I'm very interested in the excessively complicated idea of making a repeating cave in trap for demons. You'd need a freezing biome like a glacier (because why the Hell not), but basically you just allow water to flow into an exposed tile a little bit at a time, it forms a floor because there's less than 4/7 water in the tile, and it collapses because the tile is surrounded by bridges/floodgates rather than proper walls and floors.

But, having built all that gearing and stuff, you could reliably cage trap demons. Without manually reloading the trap each time. Which would be nice. I originally thought of it for FBs actually, but demons are basically the same thing.

Code: (blueprint) [Select]
Z LEVEL 3

---
~B-
---

Z LEVEL 2

----X-
-+BH.X
----X-

Z LEVEL 1

--------
----CCC-
---D++CP
----CCC-
--------

Code: (key) [Select]
- wall
+ floor
. open space
X floodgate (always closed)
H floor hatch (always closed)
~ water source
P pressure plate
B bridge, raising on z2 and retracting on z3. Both linked to the pressure plate
D a door or any other furniture
C cage trap

All aligned to the left of the blueprint. The extra space in the water airlock thing is so that the 7/7 water spreads out enough to only be exposed as less than 4/7. Also that open space on z2 has to be exposed to the sky, else the whole thing is an excessively complicated waterfall decorated with cage traps.

I have yet to embark on a freezing biome and actually enjoy it long enough to get this built though so if someone would like to do this and report their findings I'd be quite happy :)
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 04:12:54 pm »

Wouldn't demon flight and temp be a huge problem?

It seems like either a flying demon would 'take the hit' helping others sneak through or the temp from the demon would melt components of the design and/or boil away the water or something of that nature. At the very least it seems like you'd need an object made of something extremely temp resistant.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 04:36:34 pm »

I've never heard of a high temp demon or FB melting ice before. Is that a thing? Also the temp would have to be incredibly high to boil off water it's not in contact with, since even magma filling the level below won't do that. If the water doesn't boil off, the ice will form, and since cave ins are instant there is no chance of it melting on the way down or something. The only concern is the cages and the mechanisms for the traps and pressure plate. At the very least, steel would take temperatures as hot as magma, and Adamantine would definitely be resistant enough, right?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2014, 09:54:01 pm »

Are there any demons that will boil water?

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 11:25:11 pm »

I don't honestly know. The fire ones got picked off by my marksdwarves before they reached the watery battlefield in my last attempt. I do know that they can cause booze to boil very explosively though.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 11:42:10 pm »

I once killed a demon Lord during a goblin siege (he had a deadly dust that put everyone to sleep, including gobblos. My hammer dorfs had such fun.) I breached hell and lost like half the fort and built a tomb at the bottom for that Lord. No regrets.

Advice for anyone wanting to colonize hell, build an archer platform where your staircase exits the spire, with fortifications and all. Your markdorfs can cover your workers as they hastily build a fortified pillar downwards.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 2 [3]