Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a dragon!  (Read 2509 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a dragon!
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:33:11 am »

I'm not new to DF, I've been playing for a few years, but...I've never seen a dragon.  Not once in what's probably been 30 or more forts.

I was so excited when one showed up I jumped out of my seat. 

The front gate was closed, and I definitely wanted to trap him rather than fight him, so I sounded the civilian alert and ordered the military squad that barracks in the courtyard to station inside beyond the cage traps.  While I was waiting for everyone to get clear so I could open the outer drawbridge I noticed the dragon was moving. 

That's odd, I thought.  Then I noticed that he was chasing a dwarf!  WTF!?  How is there a dwarf outside?  It's not possible! 

Then I realize it's the liaison who's been waiting patiently forever for me to open the gates.  Now he's running from the dragon but headed straight towards my gate.  "OPEN THE GATE!" I yell.

I give the order to pull the lever.  The liasion reaches the closed gate.  The fastest dwarf in the kingdom reaches the lever and pulls.  The dragon arrives and...

...belches heavenly, glorious fire all over everything!  The liasion is instantly incinerated; there is nothing left of the drawbrige but a lone mechanism; everything is on fire or ashes.  I've never seen anything so beautifully awesome.

The dragon walked into the courtyard, destroyed the barracks there, destroyed the trade depot, and then marched directly into a cage trap.  (Hey, I said it was my first dragon, not my first game.)

I'm so giddy with excitement, I'm beside myself.  I'm going to build a "dragon gate" to welcome the next seige!  OMG, what fun!

(Now if I can just find it a mate...)
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: I have a dragon!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:37:33 am »

Nice! I just hope you're ready to wait a while for any potential eggs (someone knows how to do it) to grow to full size, what with the 1000 year growing up.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:29:18 am »

Nice! I just hope you're ready to wait a while for any potential eggs (someone knows how to do it) to grow to full size, what with the 1000 year growing up.

Population cap: 40 so the game runs at several hundred FPS (if your computer is worth anything), kill all the excess dwarves, get everything automated and sealed up so nothing can get in, turn off anything that might auto-pause the game and leave the game unpaused for a week real-time.  You'll be there soon enough.

Be sure to leave the ability for them to breed or your dwarves will all die of old age, though.  This is what happened to a similar attempt at this that I made.  :(
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:39:16 am »

Population cap: 40 so the game runs at several hundred FPS (if your computer is worth anything)
I don't think you know anything about DF...
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:43:09 am »

Population cap: 40 so the game runs at several hundred FPS (if your computer is worth anything)

With 40 dwarves I get 600 FPS on a 6x6 embark with an average number of items.  I'm sorry your computer is weaker than that.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:46:15 am »

With 40 dwarves I get 600 FPS on a 6x6 embark with an average number of items.  I'm sorry your computer is weaker than that.
Dwarf Fortress is extremely laggy. If you can get 600 FPS, you are not at all dwarven. Get some megaprojects going. :P
My computer is shit. Pretty old though. Atleast it still works. And you just made yourself sound like an ass.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:50:55 am »

Dwarf Fortress is extremely laggy. If you can get 600 FPS, you are not at all dwarven. Get some megaprojects going. :P
My computer is shit. Pretty old though. Atleast it still works. And you just made yourself sound like an ass.
I do build megaprojects.  You don't honestly think I'm still getting 600fps at endgame, right?  It doesn't ever really lag, at least for me, unless I'm using truely vast quantities of liquids such as drenching a mountain in lava or massive cave-ins.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:42 am »

Quote from: Vehudur
  I'm sorry your computer is weaker than that.

Lies!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:13 am »

What kind of megaproject are you doing if your fps is so good?

Really though, everyone who has played dwarf fortress for a good time on any fort knows it will cripple your fps. Especially like I play it. Exploiting every single resource to the max. Churning out crafs and engraving everything. Having large treefarms and fighting large arriving armies. Like I said, its very obvious if you play for a while.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:38:34 am »

How can anyone play efficiently with 600FPS? It would be like playing StarcraftII on 16x speed, you'd be dead before you know it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:42:30 am »

What kind of megaproject are you doing if your fps is so good?

Really though, everyone who has played dwarf fortress for a good time on any fort knows it will cripple your fps. Especially like I play it. Exploiting every single resource to the max. Churning out crafs and engraving everything. Having large treefarms and fighting large arriving armies. Like I said, its very obvious if you play for a while.
Well, currently I'm attempting to dig out an menacing tower of doom out of a volcano.  This tower menaces with spikes of obsidian and rivers of magma. 

I'm nowhere near done - I have not even finished all the digging yet, much less begun casting the tower.  But it's still getting 120 - 200 FPS because I build the fort itself to optimize pathfinding and destroy needless items, as well as limit the flow of liquids whenever possible.  During sieges, it drops 5 - 20 fps, depending on a great many factors.  I have atom smashed thousands and thousands of stones already.

As one example, I use quantum stockpiles so I can build the fort denser and thus have less for pathfinding to check.  Put frequently used stuff close together.  While it makes the game less FUN, and lava less hilarious, disable temperature when you don't need it.  If you feel it's cheating, turn it back on whenever you have an enemy that uses fire on the map.  Use DFhack to clean contaminants regularly.  Most of this is all very obvious when you think about it, but when done properly you will run faster, happier forts.  There's a wiki page on it:  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Maximizing_framerate

While your tree farms are growing, wall them off and make sure there are no items there your dwarves may wish to path to.  That way areas you are not using are less likely to be checked by the pathing algorithm.

How can anyone play efficiently with 600FPS? It would be like playing StarcraftII on 16x speed, you'd be dead before you know it.

This is actually very accurate.  Traps are your friend because unlike your (and my) reaction time in deploying squads, they work fine at high FPS.  But if you get something TRAPAVOID that is able to get past whatever basic guard you've got at the gate all the time, well..   at least it will be fast.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 03:18:27 pm »

I get a good 100 FPS with 100 dwarves regularly. My computer is badass, but I think it's mostly using traffic zones to reduce pathfinding and building the fort largely vertical. I only ever really use one or two embark tiles, though I use the default embark size so I have a large bit of countryside around the fort for hunting and such.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.