Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would a Magic the Gathering mod need wizards of the coasts permission?  (Read 2013 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Would a Magic the Gathering mod need wizards of the coasts permission?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 03:19:44 pm »

The problem is that your confidence is not based upon modding knowledge. I can think of adding some entities and creatures from MtG for fortress mode, but 99% of the game does not translate well into DF.

I wasn't thinking of fortress mode to be honest, after all planes-walkers are usually on the move. The question would rather be how you show the spells taking effect.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 04:51:54 pm »

interactions, There is a Thread called the "Spellbook" the search function should bring you there, if there is any other help for effects, I got some cool ones in my boneyard that I dig up (attacks that make pretty effects)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »

If you use their ideas directly, including names, places and things, then you have to get their permission.  That's really all there is to it.  Considering that it's just a mod for a relatively unknown computer game, they're unlikely to care however.  If if they do care, the worst you're likely to see is a message from their legal department demanding that you take the mod down.

It is technically illegal though.  Arguably it falls under fair use, but I don't think this has been demonstrably shown to be a legal defense.

Considering the amount of mods based on existing IPs, I sincerely doubt it will matter though.

If you are actively mocking them it is protected as satire.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 10:30:30 am »

Hm, and DF can pretty easily be seen as satire of every mod made for it, what with everything being innately dismemberable, biscuitable, atom-smashable and all that stuff.

More on the actual topic, basicaly what everyone has been saying. Nobody is going to mind a DF mod, but while I havnt played MtG myself I doubt all that much of it will translate to DF. DF raws basicaly only allow for adding more instances to existing game mechanics, and Toady has explicitaly stated he does not want us messing with the games source code (which is thus also not available).
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 11:13:35 am »

However, by the time planes are implemented it should be plausible. We'll just have to wait.
Reading a thinner book

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 12:01:28 pm »

Ah, so this is future talk. Missed that part.

Yeah who knows what we can do by DF 1.0... heeeheehehe yeah...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 02:54:17 pm »

What would be your pet mod by then?
Reading a thinner book

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 03:02:42 pm »

What is a pet mod ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 03:14:07 pm »

A pet mod would be something that I am doing "DF RTS" it's just something to play around with, have fun (Not like the main mod like Regen is not fun, but it can be stressful)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 07:19:37 pm »

Yeah, my pet mod switches from time to time.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »

Are you making a profit off of this? No.
Are you tarnishing/slandering the name of MtG? No.
Are you confusing people about which is which? No.
Are you hurting their sales? No.

Can you do this? Yes.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 07:13:22 pm »

There's multiple third party MTG Online knock offs that use the official cards. Those cards have images on them copyrighted to many artists. I doubt a dwarf fortress mod would be worth their lawyers' attention.
FYI
The card images come from Wizards themselves, via Gatherer.
Creating a program that pulls a list of these images, and allows you to arrange them into groups, colloquially known as decks, is not illegal.
Creating a virtual tabletop to let people play the game as they would offline, using these groups of images, is not illegal.
Copying the game rules is illegal.

Cockatrice, in particular, intentionally doesn't arbitrate the game whatsoever, in order to stay within the legal limits there. I can't speak for the others, but I would expect they're the same way.

Vherid summed it up quite nicely, I think.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

krko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 08:45:27 am »

There's multiple third party MTG Online knock offs that use the official cards. Those cards have images on them copyrighted to many artists. I doubt a dwarf fortress mod would be worth their lawyers' attention.
FYI
The card images come from Wizards themselves, via Gatherer.
Creating a program that pulls a list of these images, and allows you to arrange them into groups, colloquially known as decks, is not illegal.
Creating a virtual tabletop to let people play the game as they would offline, using these groups of images, is not illegal.
Copying the game rules is illegal.

Cockatrice, in particular, intentionally doesn't arbitrate the game whatsoever, in order to stay within the legal limits there. I can't speak for the others, but I would expect they're the same way.

Vherid summed it up quite nicely, I think.

Copying the game rules is, in fact, completely legal. What is illegal is copying images and text (which is what cockatrice is doing. Wizards is just turning a blind eye). In other words, distributing pdfs of D&D rulebooks is completely illegal, but reading them and then using the rules to make a video game/another RPG is perfectly legal.
Pages: 1 [2]