Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385585 times)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: Moltenchannels - Rising from the ashes (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 05:02:25 am »

I would have thought Britain would be acclimatised to snow. It's not like it's never happened before. And "the nation just shuts down"!? Sodding hell, it's snow. Here in New Zealand (where it's warmer than the UK) we say "Snow? OK, I'll wear warm clothes", not "OH GOD SNOW EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE CALL THE FIRE BRIGADE THEY HAVE FIRE RIGHT!?".
So you'd think; but as a whole the nation is paranoid about the weather and yet, paradoxically, also loves to talk about it. There is truth in the old saying of "When two Englishman meet, their first talk is of the weather.". Its even more important than our peculiar conformity to queing in neat lines for services.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 12:28:05 pm »

Did you really think you could escape McDuck so easily?

Requesting a turn, please.

Spoiler: On Snow (click to show/hide)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 01:23:18 pm »

Armok's beard be set on fire, the Duck has awoken!
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 09:39:13 am »

Mmh, should we skip the turn if it's still in day 14 by monday?

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 10:09:27 am »

Actually, it's mid fall. I had some strange FPS issues, but now, everything is working even faster than before. I have my updates writen in a notepad, just didn't want to post them in case of savescum. But FPS is now okay, so I don't have to do it.

How do I magma? I have no idea how to use them bridges ._.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2013, 03:17:19 pm »

Spoiler: Le Spring update (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:25:47 pm by ☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼ »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2013, 03:35:32 pm »

Those noble feline magmanauts, if they were named I'd commemorate them with stone slabs, but I assume that you didn't actually use someone's pets.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2013, 04:28:35 pm »

iton Urvadlurit... legends don't say much about her, except she spent a while hunting giant beasts.

Since I was already in Legends, I looked around a bit, and found:

* Camela Sweetnesswildness the elf, born before time and still alive, who killed 98 goblins while scouting.
* Mame Washdunes the Fabulous Tornado of Abatement the elf, queen of The Thunder of Lords, born before time and still alive, who killed 9 unknown creatures, 18 humans and 270 goblins.
* Sarvesh Girderbold the Tenacious Princess the dwarf was abducted twice by goblins and by an unknown creature, killed 6 unknown creatures, 88 goblins and 28 dwarves.
* Osnun Doomedweak the Musical Trail of Sway the female goblin, who killed 8 unknown creatures and 422 other creatures, mostly elves and humans.
* Astri Allyposts the Infinite Patterns of Dust the human, who killed one dusk horror, one vile troll, one dusk creature, one freak mate of the night and 393 wild critters.
* Osman Abyssdead the Crypt of Burying, the freak of the night, who had 84 kills, almost all of them unknown creatures.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »

What are these unknown creatures?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:37 pm »

Oh ffff....
"Dwarf Fortress has stopped responding"
NO. PLEASE NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~

Save corrupted... Do you want me to post summer, fall and winter updates too even if I can't give you the save? Sorry guys...
(BTW - Saint has created 7 masterwork barrels. Stephano, you know what to do with him...)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2013, 08:47:18 pm »

I'll take the old save and do your year for you. Then you take my slot.

(Warning: I have just had two bags of [entirely legal] coca tea. In a few minutes, I'm likely to be slightly high, so I don't know how this will turn out.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:49:48 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2013, 08:55:07 pm »

Note to myself - Do my turn as soon as possible, don't wait for "technical issues"...
Sorry again :C

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2013, 09:28:23 pm »

The Journal of "Sebastian Flyte" Dikegales, 1st Granite, 1082

I had a dream last night.

I dreamed that Troll Fur Sock had been chosen to lead the fortress.

I dreamed of kittens drowning in magma.

I dreamed of aqueducts.

I dreamed we found adamantine...

...and then it all dissolved. I think it was fall when I was woken up, by Udib Wastedlabor himself.

"Hey, Sebastian."

"Nggggrrrrr..."

"It's New Year's Day!"

"Oh, uh...is it?"

"Yeah?"

"We must have been drinking a lot of uh...wine...chaaaampagne..."

"Anyways, you're leading the fortress now. I wrote up a memo. It is hanging in my office. Go read it."

I went back to bed, too hungover to care.

That afternoon, when I woke up again, I walked into Udib's office and read the memo.

Dear Sebastian, it read.

Apologies for appointing you at such short notice, but, blast it, I asked Troll Fur Sock if he would take up my mantle after me, and he agreed to; then, at two hours to midnight, he told me he'd rather not. You were partying at the time and I didn't want to disturb you. I'm sorry you've had greatness thrust upon you in this way, but I really do think it's for the good of the fortress. If you think you can't handle it, you can ask someone else to do it, though I'd prefer you run your choice by me first.

Here is the gist of the matter. Your jobs are threefold. Expand the magmaworks, if possible. Keep the fortress running and expansive. And, above all, for god's sake, man, protect us from the second coming of Urist McDuck. The future of Moltenchannels rests on your shoulder.

-Udib Wastedlabor

I read the memo two, then three times, considering turning over the job to someone else...but...

"No," I said. "I will lead Moltenchannels to a new and glorious future..."

And I'm going to. Right here, and right now.

First on my list: Bedrooms. Also, apparently, we have all of eight drinks. Magma is important, but right now I'm going to work on rectifying the food and housing situation. Moreover, I note that absolutely nobody is keeping the books, and so we have absolutely no real idea what we actually do have.

27th Granite: Mosus, the guard, has been taken by a fey mood. Let's see what he makes...

In the meantime, I've assigned TrollFurSock to mine. We desperately need better food facilities.

4th Slate: Mosus finished today. It was a millstone named Sunkmanor, worth only D$2.400. Whoopedy-do.

20th Slate:

We have congratulated her on this achievement. She has named the child Logem Booktatooed. May he grow into a strong citizen of the fortress.

12th Felsite: The elven caravan has arrived.

A quick search of the fortress stocks reveals that we have nearly nothing tradeable not made of wood. We will have no choice but to seize their cargo. They may retaliate in a few years, but that won't be my problem.

16th Felsite: I checked with Udib. We seized D$1.675 worth of seeds, booze and fruit. It was regrettable, but necessary. We now have over a hundred booze, enough to last us until the new food quarters are up and running.

24th Felsite: Ingish, the woodcutter, got a few cuts fighting a kobald today. She'll probably be fine, but she was taken to the hospital.

Uh, do we have a hospital?

20th Malachite: Development of lodging and food is going swimmingly. We're swimming in booze. I am now ordering a set of works to ferry magma underneath the forge and smelting room.

21st Malachite: I spoke too soon, having forgotten that we had no well...

I shall order a coffin built in the new lodging quarters and her body lain to rest.

11th Galena: Cutey, the Nurse, has withdrawn from society and claimed a mason's workshop. Let us hope she produces something of value.

This reminds me that I ought to get a power source hooked up somewhere so we can build a millstone; it can be expanded later to meet other needs. I have also ordered one of the miners to dig into the volcano to drain into the lower chamber of the metalworks, barring having spotted a last-minute problem...oh wait, there is one: dacite is not magma-proof. Alunite is, however, and so I've ordered a special set of alunite mechanisms, floodgate and door constructed.

18th Galena: Work on the new magma equipment is underway. Also, Cutey finished her work today: a native copper quern named Griffonspoils the Riddled Sparkles, worth D$8.400.

10th Limestone: I just noticed the humans have completely failed to show up. Oh well. Fingers crossed...

...My wife failed to escape in time.

Alas. I shall never have children.

Alas, alas.

26th Sandstone: We can finally start metalworking. The first task, I think, is to smelt some copper ore, and construct furniture for the newly dug-out dining room. As well, we can make some copper cabinets for the bedrooms.

19th Timber: Smelting of copper is underway. The caravan arrived today; we'll finally have some things to trade them...

5th Moonstone: Damn. Udib became possessed in the middle of negotiating. Now the diplomat has left unhappy...On the bright side, we've bought some bars, booze and anvils.

It is also time to start thinking about my legacy. I have appropriated the aluminum bars that I smelted to be turned into statues for a brand new tomb/dining room/bedroom to forever be a testament to my power and pointless megalomania. We don't have much in the way of good metalworkers, yet, but what we lack in talent can be made up for in ostentatious materials. I have even ordered a gold vein we struck dug out to fund the venture.

10th Opal: Erush, the fishery worker, has given birth to a girl she has christened Ònul Boattome. More importantly, my palatial complex is coming along splendidly.

28th Obsidian: It has been a quiet winter, and my complex is finished; it needs only to be smoothed out and, perhaps, engraved.

Here is the magma level:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is my megalomaniac home:

Here are the lodging quarters, as yet unfilled:

Here is the space for the will-be dining room:

So...I dunno, all in all it was a pretty good year. I didn't get as much done as I should have, I think. I should have expanded lodgings more, actually put in beds, maybe worked with the military a bit.

Next overseer, here's your job.

-Specialize, specialize, specialize. There are dwarves running around with half a dozen skills, none of which really fit them much, and lots of overlap. Go through the dwarves and start sorting them into jobs.

-Clean everything up a bit, there's crap everywhere.

-Expand the metalworks; I bought us some anvils.

-We didn't get any migrants this year, I noticed, so hopefully you will.

-Get the dining room set up (copper furniture was my plan), and some better lodging.

-Maybe wrangle with the military a bit?

-Don't fuck with the shrine to me.

Save is here. Have Fun!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:48:40 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »

Do I sense some queue jumping here? Actually I'm just glad things are moving along. Strike the Earth, swiftly, and with regular updates and uncorrupted save files.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »

I asked Troll Fur Sock if he would take up my mantle after me, and he agreed to; then, at two hours to midnight, he told me he'd rather not.
I see what you did there...
And, actually, "she".

Update right after start of a new turn? Damn, get me some of that coca tea. I didn't have enough enthusiasm to start before... err... third day in a week... mon.. satur... free...
Ffff. You know. The middle one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 100