Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385764 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Rising from the ashes (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2013, 01:43:58 pm »

I forsee many engravings of the Skewered Basis of Beards in the near future.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2013, 05:25:37 pm »

What a cunning necromancer, following the goblins and waiting for McBadass to provide the fodder for the undead army. :o

No shame in her death. A life hunting beasts is not the same as facing single handed the combined the forces of evil. At least she died as a Axe Lady hero. :-\
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2013, 06:16:55 pm »

Hope you guys dont think I was eating that whole time, some stuff came up. Anyways...
---------------------------------------

Journal Entry of UristTheGrey, Overseer of Moltenchannels in the year 1084

Summer now. Undead have breached our 1st security level and now the second set of drawbridges has been raised. We're just trying to hold out but I dont think we can because of the food. Food stocks are very low and we wont last very long holed up in here. We must fight.

Urist McBadass is gone. A donkey skeleton found her unconcious body and murdered her on the spot. McBadass WILL be avenged

Our crippled military is preparing for war. I can see it on their faces. Fear. Panic. They know this is our last chance. We cant run now.

We've cleared out the 1st level of undead. There are still many undead to the southeast but..

Urist McLookout: "Sir, We caught her! Trying to sneak in through the back!"

Her?...Yes. We did it. We caught the necromancer responsible for all this. Ill send her to a quarantined area where we will decide what to do with her. In the meantime we must clear the area of undead. Now where is that donkey? What? Oh no..Saint has been murdered...by the very same donkey that claimed McBadass' life! Something meaner always seems to come along..

We've caught the bloodthirsty donkey along with its necromancer master. What to do with them?

15th of Hematite

The Undead are all completely disposed of save for our caged prisoners. We lost alot of good dwarves..now I need to repair our military. Only 5 military dwarves survived the attack, 2 in critical condition. And to make it worst, the elves got away and we dont have much food left. Dark days are ahead for Moltenchannels

1st of Malachite

Things are slowly improving. Food stocks are steadily rising but still very low. Migrants arrived. I got my hopes up to high, more useless dwarves. Since our military is in shambles, Ive created another squad of dwarves. A gladiator squad. Migrants with nothing to contribute are assigned to this squad to train 24/7. Since their is so much goblinite laying around, this gladiator squad will use whatever weapon and armor it can pick up. Each dwarf will fight to the death in frequent battles against whatever caged creatures we find. Once a dwarf has gotten 5 notable kills, the dwarf can join the real military and aid in its battle to defend Moltenchannels. The rankings are as follows : gladiator trainee > gladiator pro (once 2 notable kills are reached) > gladiator master (4 kills) > military ranking (5 kills)

This is my attempt at rebuilding the military. Only the strong will survive. A gladiator arena is already being built.

We had one notable dwarf in the migrant bunch. A marksdwarf with over 250 kills in the wild. Reminds me a little of McBadass..

11th of Galena

Still just trying to survive..There'll come a day when this fort will begin to prosper. Today doesnt seem to be the day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another undead siege, this one dwarfing the size of the last

The time is coming, will Moltenchannels fall? All the ones Moltenchannels taught me to love..my family, my militia..we must stand our ground. Completely surrounded. 100 undead. We wont survive. Not unless we harness the magma, but since security has been breached, we need to get a bit creative..The rest of our time must be spent underground

Wait..OH ARMOK

Moltenchannels truly is cursed!

-----------------------------------------

Sooo  ::), we're in a real mess here. 4 sieges in two seasons. I think we can get out of here, but its gonna take quite a bit of work. Probably into the next overseer. And we have no way to get to the magma so we have to go to it from underground. We cant build any properly placed windmills because of all the undead so should we just try and hold out? Im open to ideas, this is pretty bad

Also all the goblins are riding giant toads so this will be fun to watch
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:23:38 pm by UristTheGrey »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2013, 06:41:02 pm »

Surely you have a way to flood the countryside with magma? Y'might even think about installing a magma piston; it can't really be reused, but as a one-off method to release vast amounts of the stuff at once, it can't be beat.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2013, 06:45:13 pm »

There isnt a magma flooding device built, so I guess I have to make one nyself. Ive never used pumps or a magma piston. Ever. Well I suppose if there was ever a time to learn, it would be now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2013, 07:02:04 pm »

There isnt a magma flooding device built, so I guess I have to make one nyself. Ive never used pumps or a magma piston. Ever. Well I suppose if there was ever a time to learn fail magnificently, it would be now

FTFY

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2013, 07:24:55 pm »

Being more cautious I would have just weathered the seige, diverting more dwarves into agriculture and butchering some of the endless supply of cats. But your way probably makes for a better story!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »

Glass terrarium cage traps. Gotta catch 'em all.

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2013, 08:57:57 pm »

Ok, this magma thing has me beat. I think Ima just wait it out and turn the fort into an underground one. Reclaiming the surface is a job for a more competent overseer
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:17:54 pm by UristTheGrey »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2013, 04:46:57 am »

Ok, this magma thing has me beat. I think Ima just wait it out and turn the fort into an underground one. Reclaiming the surface is a job for a more competent overseer
Looks at this. Looks at turnlist.

Oh Whoopiesnippycabbages.

As an aside, if my turn is next, chances are I won't be able to get much done until next wednesday at the earliest; I've got a full work schedule sadly. But, Urist has a couple days left at the moment, right?
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2013, 08:35:50 am »

It's only three more years before McDuck has a go. We can hold out that long, right? Right?

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2013, 09:30:17 am »

So, is this the fall of Moltenchannels? Or we only hide underground to train, train the ones that have survived, and finally unlock the gates, unleashing our army of legendary, berserker biters?
I can't wait to see myself beating gobbos to death with bin full of mechanisms.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2013, 09:37:04 am »

So, is this the fall of Moltenchannels? Or we only hide underground to train, train the ones that have survived, and finally unlock the gates, unleashing our army of legendary, berserker biters?
I can't wait to see myself beating gobbos to death with bin full of mechanisms.

Oh, it's far from the fall. We can solve indefinitely underground, of course, the question is simply whether or not we can defeat the forces aboveground before we start getting bored with getting stuck under there.

I'd actually recommend flooding the countryside with water, if it can be pulled off, since it will freeze, and although any creatures on the tile will die, their stuff will still be there and can be gathered when chipped out (or when spring comes and the ice thaws.) Since the river refills much faster than the volcano, and once the ice thaws the flooding problem will take care of itself within a month or so as the water flows away, water's probably a much better choice for mass flooding than magma is. And you certainly can build a gigantic water piston that works the same way as a magma piston.

(Dear god, I have just proposed flooding the entire map with water and turning it into an ice cap. There's so very many things that could go wrong with that. But surely, if we must have a megaproject to match Ardentdikes' fire, why not use ice?)

Probably it's too late to install one now, but the next overseer could try.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:03:11 am by dhokarena56 »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2013, 10:07:29 am »

I don't think we have ice in winter there.

Actually, we don't have a river either.

This isn't an evil biome, so corpses won't be reanimating all the time. If the invaders don't defeat the undead, they can be taken out from the walls with crossbows.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2013, 10:23:01 am »

Clearly I was thinking of some other fort. Dammit, because that would have been an awesome sight to behold. Carry on, carry on.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 100