Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385583 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The cursed bookkeepers (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2013, 09:56:28 pm »

Blah, forgotten beasts. I'm sure we're safe. Unless they figure out how to open doors.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:58:12 pm by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:10 pm »

Blah, forgotten beasts. I'm sure we're safe. Unless they figure out how to open doors.

I wish someone pasted the ASCII dwarf symbol over the kids faces and FB symbol over the dinos

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2013, 12:11:37 am »

It's imperative, in all cases, to do just the absolute minimum required to make sure absolutely nothing could possibly go wrong. There's never any reason to do anything more.

Ever.

What is this "going wrong" you speak of? Things go right, and then they go better. Then they go on fire, if you've really done your job.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2013, 01:55:00 pm »

It's imperative, in all cases, to do just the absolute minimum

I would say the opposite. Try hard. The harder you try, the better.

Ardentdikes was megalomaniac and complex enough that fun happened even when trying their best. Each overseer has some good skill at certain play style, and when they try hard that style works fine in a delicate equilibrium until the next overseer comes and stuff gets loose.

So go ahead and build pump stacks and goblin grinders, weaponize necromancers and form an adamantine army. Create a fort capable of stopping the old McDuck or fail trying.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2013, 03:24:44 pm »

I would say the opposite. Try hard. The harder you try, the better.

Ardentdikes was megalomaniac and complex enough that fun happened even when trying their best. Each overseer has some good skill at certain play style, and when they try hard that style works fine in a delicate equilibrium until the next overseer comes and stuff gets loose.
Indeed, personally I always try my best to keep stability. Anything less; setting to fort up to fail, seems foolish. Fun is inevitable, but should never be invited.

I like to think of myself as good at greasing the gears of this thing. Much of my time so far has been clearing up old messes whilst improving our dwarves quality of life, which has taken a good upturn. As of autumn, all of the populace is now at least Content, alot of the halls have been smoothed, roads added, many more meals and facilities have been created, and so on.

Of course, if it all crashes in the next guys hands, I can be satisified with the fact I left it in good order!

Anyway, just sorting out the caps for the next segment, will be posting it up shortly.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »

Diary of Sauvage, Tooth Collector

We waited in anticipation for what seemed like hours whilst a scout of ours kept an eye on flaming beast that had appeared in the caverns. However, despite it setting fire to an area a few yards across, it seemed content to sit and sleep... and reports indicated that nothing has changed...

Some days have passed since then, and the beast still hasn't stirred. All the ground around it has turned to ash and charcoal, but that is all.

As a result, I dismissed our military once more. We should keep an eye on the area, but it seems the thing is passive. It's certainly good that it chose not to fight; though as a warrior I'm a little frustrated that I didn't get to use my hammer.

Whilst we were out in formation though, I did notice a hole that seemed to lead into deeper caverns very close to our walls. Given the scare of this beast, who knows what else lurks in these caves? I ordered our mason to seal the hole off with stone for now. Perhaps in later years we can explore, but for now...

In any case, as the scare of the flaming creature became a mere ember of doubt, some hardy migrants arrived. I spoke to each of them and was rather glad to hear that two were respectable hammerdwarves, and three could use a crossbow. Armok knows we need some capable military dwarves.

Some days later, a human caravan finally arrived. Their representative was a little miffed that he couldn't bring his carts over to the fort, and I deigned to look into the issue of the rather shoddy lava moat later, and create a better access route. I traded away a large selection of crafts and cut gems, as well as more broken clothing, for a top up of many exotic meats, dyes and drinks from far away lands. The merchants left seeming quite happy with the proceedings.

Before they started to pack up to leave, I had another report of a strange creature...

A boy said he saw it appear from the lowest cave and rush from the direction of the now walled up cavern (glad I ordered that done). As it could no longer proceed to attack us, it dashed in the opposite direction and attacked some lizardman tribe resident down in the lower cavern. The fight between them went on for some time...

But the Lizardmen eventually surrounded it in a pincer attack and thrust a spear through its head. I was suspicious of how the boy was able to describe it in such detail. Apparently there are still some ceiling holes around; but none of them are large enough to do more than watch through, so I suppose that's okay.

After the caravan had left and autumn was in full stride, I heard of yet another strangely-mooded dwarf wanting to claim a workshop...

As soon as I heard he wanted to make some jewellry, I immediately shot over to the stockpile and "encouraged" him that using the new star-sapphires our miners had dug up last season was in his best interest. Since he just seemed to eager to claim any rough gem, he didn't argue. I'm glad I forbid him from using the prase and tourmalines, because the result was a truly beautiful gem...

Our appraiser whistled upon seeing it, saying it was worth a huge amount. Not that we'd sell such a prize jewel!!

Of course, the value of this and other artifacts reminded once more to review the moat. It has several obsidian bridges that mean our little island could be attacked from many angles. I ordered all of the slopes to be carefully removed, leaving only sheer obsidian faces only accesible by ladder. Much better. I also ordered the construction of a large bridge over the lava complete with mechanisms to secure the island entirely behind the moat. For some reason, the bridgebuilder decided that a rose gold bridge would look fabulous with the underglow of lava. I was concerned such a bridge might melt, but he said that wouldn't be an issue as it had copper parts and alunite bracings, apparently. I did concur that the pink and red looked eerily... well... interesting...

There's also a nice, easy to understand lever mechanism for it in the main courtyard, but I labelled it just in case.

Autumn is starting to come to a close, so prior to the Winter I reorganised our military, adding the new recruits properly and cancelling the extended shore leave I granted in the spring. I assigned a new patrol route and revised garrison schedules to match. Everything is alot more orderly now. It's still not as disciplined as I'd like, but its a start...

"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Our lizardmen are badass (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2013, 11:04:32 pm »

Sorry, I didn't mean in terms of projects. I was referring only to safety precautions.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2013, 04:50:10 am »

As an aside, amazingly, none of the six lizards were even especially injured by the bites they sustained, so their badass is well warranted. The battle went on for 59 pages of attacks (soundscape was spamming battle sounds FOR AGES!) presumably due to them using wooden weapons. The blowgunner got the killing blow and is now called Rudslobu The Amberthrows.

EDIT: Anyway, just preparing my final report as I've just finished playing. Gotta dash out to see a friend though so it might be a few hours.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:53:27 am by eharper256 »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2013, 09:31:38 am »

Diary of Sauvage, Tooth Collector

Autumn is fading, as as the leaves wash around us, I was informed of another set of migrants, so I once again went to interview them.

Again it seems there's a couple of dwarves with some military skills, which is good.

The dwarven caravan rolled in on schedule, and as they did, a goblin ambush was spotted in the south by a wandering pet cat (!).

It attacked the caravan but was cut down by the guards. Unfortunately, our cat was riddled with arrows and died, but at least it was the only casualty. At least this time the caravan was able to bring all of its wagons. The bridge held up nicely and the extra choice of supplies available to us as a result was appreciated. I mainly focused on meats, seeds, and cheese to stock up for the Winter. Though we have a fair few meals prepared now, one can never have too many. I also picked up steel bolts aplenty.

A few days later, we had another dwarf with a peculiar mood.

There's certainly a fair few of them around. Again, I encouraged him to use the best quality materials from our stocks; and the result was a very valuable rat-bone amulet:

In the meantime, further projects to increase the efficiency of the forts runnings have been completed. Our stockpiles are considerably more organised with alot of neatly stacked bins. Considering the vast amount of ingots we had strewn all over the place before, I'd say this is quite an improvement:

Similarly, the roads out to the wilderness have been completed, along with an outer curtain wall between the inner courtyard and the new lava moat bridge:

And finally, because I'm a stickler for good imposing sculpture, I examined some of the more interesting statues that had been constructed recently. Some were generic, but several stood out, including the following:

The founder WastedLabour is a popular muse. Amusingly, though, this induction statue is right next to this one:

And just down the corridor from this:

I'm not sure whether to be alarmed at this... embrace...

Winter had been mostly uneventful... at least until tragedy struck once more with the appearance of a wholly more threatening and hostile creature from the upper caverns:

I had initially thought this one would also be passive as it was unmoving for some time like the still-hibernating fire beast. I regret now that I should have watched it more closely, for all of a sudden a month after its arrival it somehow infiltrated the lower area of the masoleum, chasing a child around...

I was caught in a panic; and so was the military, so we engaged it in a haphazard fashion. The result was fairly bad, with the immediate death by decapitation of Bembul Nazomoltar; and Urist McAwesome lost their leg...

Due to its poisonous bites, Urist died feverish and throwing up her guts the next day before she could even be properly diagnosed by our medical dwarves...

Not exactly a stellar way to end my tenure as overseer, but I guess these things will happen.

Dear New Successor

I leave these diaries and this attached city report for my successor.

I hope you will continue to improve upon the efficiency I have steadily beaten into this place, and not be taken with strange fancies.

Yours Faithfully
Sauvage

The Save
http://www.mediafire.com/?4bctrctwmsb3fv9

Unfortunately DFFD doesn't seem to want to accept uploads from me so its on mediafire.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:39:37 am by eharper256 »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2013, 09:43:14 am »

As an aside, I have no idea where all that meat suddenly came from; I only got a few pieces from the caravan.

I'm guessing its either that our lazy butchers finally got around to slaughtering all the caged emu's we have...

...or we're eating one-eyed crocodile from the forgotten beast!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2013, 10:39:35 am »

This was a good year for lizards, and a bad year for Urists...

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2013, 10:44:04 am »

Dis gun b gud. Of course, if FBs won't decide to attack at the moment I'll unpause the game...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2013, 04:23:38 pm »

Udib's interlude.

The fortress has made progress ever since politics forced me to leave the lead position. I promised to guide these dwarves to blessed land, and they have been cursing me ever since. I guess they don't enjoy waking up to find their friend Erush was killed by a zombie elf with a llama wool shoe. As a reminder, they placed the memorial right near the door of my office.

On the other hand, this has left me with more free time to research and investigate.

I've been very interested in the war between goblins and necromancers. I walk every other day to the cage of Aban the necromancer and try to pry out some of her secrets, but her lips stay sealed.

During the relative peace of this last winter I weathered the chilly mist and went out to rummage the goblin remains. The invaders belong to a group called "The Walled Fiend", and the symbol on their breastplates is a coffin. Could they be worshippers of Urist McDuck? If that's so, the necromancers clearly aren't happy with the idea of letting them take over Moltenchannels. Maybe they have their own plans for the poor dwarves banished in Ardentdikes.

There's still a vampire on the loose. The dwarf ņnul was found drained of all blood before New Year. Yet another cursed mystery to solve.

Our sculptors seem to be specially sensitive to this strange aura. I'm welcome by statues of skeletal Kodor, our deity of death and rebith, laughing maniacally, of dark crones and grime brutes ―among the figures adorning our cemetery's main hall, I keep being drawn to a scorpionfly brute in alunite. I asked Asėn Athelisan where she got the inspiration for it, but she has an iffy memory. Could be something imagined by one of her children while playing near the caverns.

I have to make sure the fortress doesn't forget why they are here. Fortunately, next year my lover Troll Fur Sock will be at the helm of it...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:27:25 pm by Wastedlabor »

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »

my lover Troll Fur Sock
Let us never speak about this again...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2013, 05:29:59 pm »

Let us never speak about this again...

"She is absolutelly inexhaustible".  :P
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 100