Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385599 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The left hands of darkness (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2013, 03:05:49 am »

Sorry, but it's buried in the north east corner of the magma and I'm not going near it.

In other news, I've completed two huge sections of water lift for the Pressure Tower. Draws all the way from the second cavern layer, and I lost only one miner in the process. Just waiting on some more glass tubes.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2013, 12:37:06 pm »

Sorry, but it's buried in the north east corner of the magma and I'm not going near it.

In other news, I've completed two huge sections of water lift for the Pressure Tower. Draws all the way from the second cavern layer, and I lost only one miner in the process. Just waiting on some more glass tubes.

So...while Ardentdikes was cleansed with fire, we shall cleanse with water?

Sounds kinda pansy.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2013, 12:55:35 pm »

Ngebzo the goblin wasn't among our prisoners at the start of the turn, she must have escaped alive. :o

Also, we have Soundtroubles, the zombie donkey that killed Saint and Urist McBadass. I suggest it's banished to some deep dungeon. >:(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:59:27 pm by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »

So...while Ardentdikes was cleansed with fire, we shall cleanse with water?

Sounds kinda pansy.

Ardentdikes had a water stack too. We spent more time fixing it and digging out frozen dwarves than using it, though.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2013, 05:03:44 pm »

My pressure tower runs hot AND cold. Speaking of:

---

Summer has arrived. The pressure tower feeder is dug and being fitted with pumps to lift the water. Magma is much closer and will have to be monitored carefully that it does not mix with the water. Two levers will need be thrown before the fortress can be cleansed in water or fire.

The Minecart track is complete and soon refuse will be sacrificed to the great volcano. Elves have come but in our weakened state we could not match them. The next overseer must strengthen the armies. I build destruction, but I have not the talent to build the dwarven mind for it. Instead I must work with Armok given materials to do my work. But I SHALL DO MY WORK!

Oh, gods, was that my scribble? I need to get out of here. As soon as my tenure is over, I'll flee this accursed place. The world is not right. Others cannot see the truth, but I do. I watch with childish glee as the first minecart is pushed to the end of the track and the corpses are dumped, never to rise again upon this accursed world. Fittingly, it is a child, coming into it's own responsibilities who takes up the task of the first dumping and another who goes to retrieve it.

Another artifact has come, a beautiful pyrite door. I've ordered it erected deep within the bowels of the fortress where it will not be stolen by thieves.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2013, 07:52:55 pm »

Two levers? Really? I'll have to fix that on my turn. What, after all, would be the point of a gigantic doom machine if it wasn't possible for it to malfunction?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2013, 10:02:36 pm »

Never said it couldn't malfunction, only that it requires two levers to be pulled to activate it on purpose.

Assuming I can get the pumps to stop randomly deconstructing long enough for it to function. After all, if it doesn't work, it can't work incorrectly.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2013, 11:28:04 am »

Summer: Summer wasn't so bad. Humans came, brought stuff, offered to bring more. I took them up on the offer.

Lost a dwarf or two, had a minor fire while reconnecting the moat. Seemingly there was some water when the moat was originally channeled and it obsidianized.

Upside, all the plant growth to the north is out of the way, and I've ordered trees mowed for clear shooting.

Sadly, it turns out that while the water lift is properly functioning, I've messed up two mildly critical things. One is the design of the pressure towers surface component. I'll leave that to my successor to finish however. The stress of steering this disaster area is making me ill. The sooner I put it behind me the better. However, I will finish my term.

Mid-august rolls around and the reactor to power to primary power system is under way. I also ordered the pressure control room floored to prevent wood growth.

One minor problem is that I've found and convicted two vampires. Whether they are or not, having them convicted seems to mollify the populace.

The dwarves finally arrive, shortly after the initial reactor comes online to power the primary reactor. Magma is going to be powered by surface windmills, though if other overseers have a better idea, I hope they implement it.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2013, 12:48:47 pm »

Autumn-Winter: Frustratingly, the Humans left, but not until after the Dwarves had arrived. This lead to a serious issue when they tried to leave and enter at the same time, through the same three wide space. This meant that the two caravans both left, and no one traded. *sigh*

Fortunately, it won't matter to me much longer. The water lift stack is completed, the initial infrastructure is in place. The pressure tower is incomplete and it's lower levels need a sharp redesign. All levers are in place, but most are disconnected. The next overseer will want to test to ensure that it's getting enough power, but first it needs the primary power reactor completed. The area is dug and it's designated for filling. At the moment more buckets are being produced to speed the filling.

Edit: Turn complete, I'll upload the save tonight.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:31:51 pm by Triaxx2 »

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2013, 02:55:37 pm »

Looks like I'm up next. I probably won't be able to start until Friday -- my advisor surprised me today by telling me that I'm teaching his class tomorrow, on a subject I only barely understand. Fun times ahoy!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2013, 04:47:00 pm »

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The duck returns - NEED MORE OVERSEERS (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2013, 06:09:13 pm »

I don't get one thing.
Did you notice that Urist's McDumbMason partial skeleton on our walls? It looks like he has trapped himself building second floor of that... shrine-something?
"Urist, jump! You've been sitting here for 3 months!"
"But I'm afraid of heights..."
"Think about your family!"
"But what if I'll break my finger and get an infection?"
"Your cats are being struck by melanholy, do something about it!"
"I don't want to die with a rotten finger..."
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2013, 07:15:23 pm »

I paid no attention to that it seems. Oops.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2013, 08:00:35 pm »

Udib scratches his beard, stretches his arms and walks out of his office after many months of study. For some reason the jobs queue has gone empty, so he decides to go investigate what are the dwarves doing, and update the inventory on the way.

He wanders around, taking notes while the the dwarves come and go. Works have continued in parts of the fortress Udib rarely visits, and a constant stream of haulers carry water buckets to somewhere else. He can't even start to figure what the dwarves are doing -- they groan something about pump stacks and power plants. Udib wonders if these former peasants can even read their own blueprints.

Walking through the madness, he crosses paths with several ghosts pitifully wandering around. Every season the fortress looks more and more terrifying.

"By Kodor, this fortress is chilly with all the draft coming from the caves. I could use some wine. Now, where did these dwarves hide the cellar this time?"

Udib's search quickly becomes frustrating. Every barrel he peeks into seems to be full of unicorn and emu meals and... plump helmets. Dozens of plump helmets, hundreds of plump helmets, plump helmets everywhere!

He pulls his hair and stops a brewer carrying empty buckets. The brewer stares at him with a very bad case of eye circles.

"Brewer! The wine! It's gone!"

"He's chasing me... my dead son! I can't stop, I have to go!"

"I... the wine... where it is? By Ilon, there's a thousand stones of plump helmets! Where is the wine!"

"The last overseer needed water. We are all hauling water. Water! My son! I must store these buckets..."

The brewer runs away, Udib whimpers, and starts to search hopelessly among the random stockpiles, careful not to have his fingers bitten off by one of the caged zombies. Finally, he finds one last shot of rancid wine inside a gray langur leather waterskin laying around. That's all there is!

And then, of course, he's interrupted by the news of the resignation of the previous overseer. With a vague hope that there may be better wine at the meeting, he drops the waterskin and heads to the hall.

The veterans are quickly gathered to sit down in a council. The candidates walk around the cascade in the center of the hall and are interviewed by the mayor. The mugs are all full of water, but Udib doesn't even notice it. His eyes can't move away from one of the candidates --there's something strangely familiar about him.

Later on, he finds the strange dwarf had been elected for the position of overseer. The prisoner necromancer laughs randomly at him as he drags his thirsty, worried feet back to his tiny office.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:04:57 pm by Wastedlabor »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:12 pm »

Signing up for a turn please. Name: CaptainArchmage. Profession: Archwiseard. Preferably a metalsmith (weapons or armor).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 100