Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386179 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The duck returns - NEED MORE OVERSEERS (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2013, 10:03:03 pm »

Added to the turn list.

I keep skipping KJC3 and InsanityIncarnate as they didn't want to take a turn yet, but said they might at some point.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2013, 11:40:08 pm »

I keep skipping KJC3 and InsanityIncarnate as they didn't want to take a turn yet, but said they might at some point.
Hrm. I'll take a turn when the fortress is in its death throes. I like the challenge.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:11 am »

The cloaked figure fled across the fortress, and the guardsdwarf followed.

The fortress was the apotheosis of all fortresses, huge, sprawling across the landscape for what looked like eternity in all directions. It was twisted and random and without order save for the old, well-planned halls of the first overseer which still stood out amongst the chaos. An occasional engraved sign noted points of interest, for once the hulking monument that consumed the valley had been a wonder. Ambitious overseers had flocked to it.

The world had moved on since then.

The guardsdwarf put on a burst of speed. The Last Overseer had charged nine loyal dwarves to stand guard over Ardentdikes, but they had become aware of others lurking in the enormous fortress. This one had been spotted stealing from the beverage stockpiles, and the guardsdwarf meant to catch him.

The figure suddenly turned, a dagger flashing in its hands. The guardsdwarf had no time to dodge, but his =Steel Chain Shirt= stopped the blade. The guardsdwarf struck out with the haft of his spear, knocking the dagger from the figure's hand, then sweeping his feet from under him. The hood fell away, revealing a dwarf's face, covered in sweat and grime.

"What in Armok's name are you doing here?" the guardsdwarf demanded, placing the tip of his spear against the dwarf's chest.

"You can not possibly comprehend what we are doing, guardsdwarf!" the dwarf spat.

The guardsdwarf regarded his captive, who began to rant and rave about "the coming of Them Below." The dwarf was clearly a fanatic, and borderline insane to boot. He'd never tell anything useful, and wouldn't hesitate to attack one of the Watch in a suicidal charge. There was no point in taking him back to the guard post alive.

"You are imperiling the Eternal Watch placed over the prison of Urist McDuck..." the guardsdwarf began.

"Ha!" the dwarf barked. "McDuck! What do we care of an old dwarf locked in a closet? The world has moved on, guardsdwarf. Other powers stir--"

"In the name of Unib Wastedlabor, Last Overseer of Ardentdikes," the guardsdwarf continued, speaking over the other's villainous monologue, "you are sentenced to death."

"We are but the Vanguard, guardsdwarf! THEY are coming, and you will wish for death before the e--" The spear pierced the strange dwarf's heart, silencing him.

The guardsdwarf heaved the dead body over his shoulder and headed back to the guard post. Perhaps the Watch could learn something from the dwarf's belongings.

Journal of Urist McDonald, Aspiring Chef

Well I'll be. When Triaxx stepped down from his position as overseer and a successor was to be elected, I went ahead and threw my name into the hat. I didn't think much of it -- who would vote for a talentless dwarf with nothing but a head full of dreams?

But you know how they decided who the next overseer would be? They picked a name out of a hat. My name, as it happened. I don't think anybody was more surprised than I -- except maybe old Unib Wastedlabor. He kept looking at me funny, as if he expected me to go crazy and kill everyone. Why would I do that?

Anyway, now I'm the new overseer. And I've got big plans for this place!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first order of business was to assess the current state of the fortress. I looked through the fortress records and was shocked at what I found:

Our Refreshing Beverage levels were critically low! I inquired as to what all our brewers were doing, and it turned out that they (like everybody else) were futilely trying to fill an enormous trench with water, one bucket at a time. I'm afraid that just isn't going to happen -- I've rescinded all orders to fill the "pond", though I've drawn up some plans to dig into murky pools to flood it at a later date. The brewers will be working 'round the clock until we've got a sufficient alcohol reserve.

Much as I'd like to get straight to work on making my dream a reality, there are some other issues that need addressing, first. I can wait a bit longer -- I want to do this right.

First, there are the cats. This place has so. Many. Cats. I normally don't mind cats, but we're tripping over them in the halls. I've ordered them all rounded up and confined to a single cage, before we wind up knee deep in kittens.

Second, there is the militia. We only sort of have one. I've checked our stockpiles, and we've got enough equipment for a marksdwarf squad. I've rebuilt the fortress guard into a 10-dwarf marksdwarf squad, and I've ordered the smiths to work double-time on forging more equipment. I've consulted Urist McTzu's The Craft of War and he says that silver hammers are among the finest weapons a dwarf can have. We've got plenty of silver, so I've ordered up several silver war hammers. In the meantime, I've conscripted a bunch of lightly-armored speardwarves to support the guard in case of an emergency.

Third, there are a couple of ghosts floating around. They seem pretty harmless, but I'm not taking any chances.

Finally, there's Litast's corpse, up on the walls. I've ordered some scaffolding put up there so we can get him down.

With those necessities out of the way, I can start working on my own project. I'll start small, but someday, I'll be providing affordable, high-quality food to dwarves the world over!

Edit: Deleted "'t" in the last line.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:00:56 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2013, 12:44:52 pm »

... awesome.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2013, 01:00:36 pm »

Hey! They were doing just fine when I left them. :D Besides, I did the math and I'm not sure that the ponds up there will have the water in them to do more than wet the bottom of the reactor with 1/7. If the lazy little blighters would have gotten to it, or had enough buckets to start with, you'd have a filled reactor system to work with. But no, they couldn't be bothered. No, they have to 'eat' and 'drink' and 'sleep'. Slackards.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 02, 2013, 11:14:56 am »

At beggining of my turn, we had 200 plants.
Now, 1200. Industrial-scale farming helps, doesn't it?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2013, 12:03:01 pm »

The slain dwarf's effects were laid out on the table.

"He seems to have scavenged these from all over the fortress," the Commander said. "Look -- this is a goblin dagger, and those socks don't match."

"That doesn't really fit with the notion of a cult or similar group," Obok pointed out. "I would think they'd be better organized than this."

"The cloak doesn't look scavenged," Zuglar noted. "Perhaps that's where they've focused their efforts. Can't be a proper cultist without a sinister hooded cloak."

"Regardless, there are clearly more of them, and they must be dealt with," the Commander said. He turned to the guardsdwarf. "Take one of the dogs and see if you can't follow this guy's scent. Maybe it'll lead you to a base of operations or something."

The dog led the guardsdwarf all over Ardentdikes -- to rooms full of old clothing, piles of decaying furniture, empty barrels, and the other detritus of an abandoned fortress. For the most part, the dwarf had stayed away from the guard post -- the morning's raid on the beverage stockpiles was the closest he'd ever come. The guardsdwarf supposed that the cultists had been drinking from one of the innumerable wells in the old fort, but that this one, tired of water, had decided on making a side-trip during a scavenging run.

The dog abruptly stopped, sitting down and wagging its tail. The guardsdwarf hauled on its leash, pulling it forward. It got up and started walking, nose to the ground. It travelled in a tight circle back to the same spot, and sat down again. The guardsdwarf looked around. There were no doors or hatches, just plain stone walls all around. He examined them more closely, for long ago he had been a mason. He remembered enough of the old stone-lore to recognize what was in front of him.

One section of the wall had been built far more recently than the rest.

Journal of Urist McDonald, Aspiring Chef

15 Granite, 1088:
Things are going pretty well in my first two weeks as overseer. Our alcohol reserves are growing to a more comfortable level, and we've dealt with our troublesome ghost problems.

I've had some more time to reflect on what this fort needs. First, I've realized that hardly any dwarves have rooms of their own. I plan to rectify that with a new residential wing.

Second, I feel that it is important for our finest craftsdwarves to have a place to work that is free of the distractions of the fortress. As such, I'm setting up a Masters' Ward, where only Master-level craftsdwarves may work.

In the meantime, I've had some time to perfect my recipes.

2 Slate, 1088:
It's come to my attention that there are no less than three ways to cross the magma moat. There should be no more than one way to do so. I've ordered the smaller paths walled off -- the drawbridge is now the only way in or out. The fort will be more defensible that way. I've also ordered the construction of two small guard towers overlooking the drawbridge.

16 Slate, 1088:

Excellent! It seems that the rumors of danger in Moltenchannels are fading. That's good, as I want my soon-to-be-built restaurants to be associated with safety and calmness -- a relaxing place to have a bite to eat.

There are three new arrivals -- a miller, a mechanic, and a "trader" -- but the latter is just standing around. Perhaps he is shy.

20 Slate, 1088:
Setting up a system to dump corpses into the volcano was an excellent idea. However, I'm a bit worried about what might happen if corpses waiting to be dumped were to be reanimated. I've walled off that stockpile, so that we can lock it up if any of the dead get restless.

24 Slate, 1088:
I was passing our hospital today, and noticed one of the patients complaining about not being fed. I've assigned two of our doctors to devote all of their time to caring for patients, so that the injured will always have somebody around to help them out.

And while I was looking through the hospital records, I noticed that Ast Migkilmedtob has been in traction for the last four years.

I've let the poor kid out.

16 Felsite, 1088:

I readied the militia, in case of a surprise attack on the caravan, but they made it to the trade depot without incident. The elves gave us alcohol, cloth, bows and arrows, and thread in exchange for the privilege of hauling off our dirty laundry.

24 Felsite, 1088:

Dumat suddenly leapt up from his still and started speaking in tongues today. I chased after him to try to tell him to get back to work, but he was racing all over the fort, grabbing things from various stockpiles and sticking them in a leather works. I got tired of following him and left him to it.

1 Hematite, 1088:
I've formed our first squad of regular troops, The Shins of Oil. They are clad in iron plate and wield silver war hammers. Militia Commander Sauvage, a Skilled Hammerdwarf, has them training three months out of four, because they need to get up to snuff fast.

3 Hematite, 1088:

What do you know, Dumat finally started working again. Not on what he's supposed to be working on, but I'll take what I can get.

4 Hematite, 1088:
I'd been hearing rumors of a troll in the fortress.

On further inquiry, I've traced it to the cavern levels.

I've ordered the militia to take it out.

5 Hematite, 1088:
One of the soldiers was perhaps a little too eager. You'd think he might stop to pick up a weapon, or some armor, but nope! He charged straight after the troll with his bare hands. Unfortunately, the troll has bigger hands than he does.

Eventually a more thoughtful soldier (as in, she thought to grab a weapon before attacking the monster) showed up and bashed the troll's head in.

It was too late for poor Udil, though.

6 Hematite, 1088:
I drew up some orders to have cage traps placed in front of the doors in the cavern levels, to try to avoid a repeat of the troll incident. Shortly after issuing them, one of the miners came into my office.

"Do you really want us to dig this thing out?" she asked.

I had no idea what she was talking about. "I have no idea what you're talking about," I replied. "Dig what thing out?"

"This," she said, handing me the stone tablet I'd chiseled my orders on and pointing to a part of it.

"That's… odd," I said. "No, don't dig that out, just put up the cage traps. One of the children must have gotten hold of this and doodled on it."

Kids these days.

8 Hematite, 1088:
Dumat finally emerged from the leather works, bearing the "fruit" of his labors.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice shirt,

I just feel that his time might have been better spent elsewhere, especially since he "can't remember" how he did it and so he can't make any more like it.

20 Hematite, 1088:

RED ALERT!

EVACUATE THE CAVERN LEVELS! ALL DWARVES TO BATTLE STATIONS!

21 Hematite, 1088:
Onu has come straight for us. We've barred the doors, but they will not hold for long. The militia is positioning itself to meet the beast -- speardwarves and hammerdwarves poised to meet the charge, marksdwarves positioned on the staircase overlooking them to provide ranged support. But our militia is thoroughly untested, and not everyone bothered to pick up a weapon…

Edit: "to" -> "two"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:08:51 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2013, 03:11:41 pm »

Oh gawd, a giant tick. Does the militia at least have helms to prevent facepunches?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2013, 06:40:15 pm »

*heh*

Hey, anyone notice that one of the beasties running around (Hiding in the water) is Zolak, same as one at the end of Ardentdikes? Curious...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2013, 06:01:39 am »

I don't suppose my namesake the raw-recruit soldier somehow managed to survive the various bloodbaths of the past couple of years? I'm guessing he/she didn't- given the general pattern of "Every time a militia gets formed it is suddenly wiped out by something."- but I can hope that my bloodied and battered body is resting in peace somewhere...

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2013, 07:00:20 am »

No, dead :<

The vampire Deduk Cobaltrushed the Proliferation of Rampaging drank your blood in the spring of 1086.

Edit: Also your husband Onget Channeldusks was killed in autumn 1086 by a zombie goblin. Your sisters Udib Lashconstruct and Sodel Spikeswhip were still alive at the beginning of the turn.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:08:46 am by Wastedlabor »

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2013, 09:33:07 am »

The Watch set out in force. The Commander had taken the risky step of leaving McDuck's chamber unguarded so that they could attack these mysterious cultists with everything they had.

The guardsdwarf had finished disassembling the false wall, revealing a roughly carved, downward-sloping passageway.

"Watch out for traps on the way down," the Commander said, before gesturing for the guardsdwarf to take the lead.

The Commander's warning had been unnecessary. There were no traps or other surprises in the narrow passageway. They had brought along the dog in case they encountered mazes or more false walls, but there were none. The cultists had apparently relied solely on the disguised entrance to conceal themselves. The Watch followed the passage deep into the bowels of the earth, until Obok reckoned that they were at most a few yards above the magma sea itself.

Finally, the passage leveled out. Other hallways branched off, leading to crude rooms with roughly-fashioned beds. In one, a clothier's workshop had been constructed, and dozens of cloaks hung on hooks ("I told you," Zulgar whispered). But they found no living thing in any of the rooms.

"Perhaps they fled their hideout," the Commander said, looking around. "Right, let's head back to the guard po--"

He was interrupted by the dog, which had begun growling at a statue in a corner. The guardsdwarf inspected the statue -- which depicted some sort of horrible, be-tentacled monster striking down dwarves -- more closely.

"There's a staircase here," he said. "Come on, help me move this thing."

The statue was enormously heavy, but together, the nine dwarves of the Watch were able to heave it aside, revealing a stairway. The Commander silently gestured for them to head down it. They descended further, until they could feel the heat from the magma sea just inches below. The guardsdwarf, in the lead once again, was the first to the bottom of the stairs, where he found a heavy stone door. Holding up a hand for silence, he pressed his ear against it. Dimly, he heard the voices of many dwarves.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh HFS Inala wgah'nagl fhtagn."

He shoved the door open and rushed into the room, spear at the ready. Hooded figures stood in a circle around a table, to which a thin and wretched dwarf was chained. The guardsdwarf was just in time to see one of the figures drive a knife into the captive's heart.

"You are too late, guardsdwarf," the figure said without turning towards him. "The way is opened. They come."

The earth began to shake, and the cultists began falling to the ground. Flames leapt up around each of them, consuming them, and they cried out in ecstasy as they burned. Pieces of the floor began crumbling away, and a deep red light emanated from the holes left behind. Horrifying screams echoed up from the depths.

Onu burst through the doors. The marksdwarves began shooting immediately, but their panicked fire came nowhere near the beast. The time had come for Thob Rakustthusest, Captain of Moltenchannels, to show her quality.

"For the Strategic Bodices!" she cried, and rushed the beast. It swept one of its many legs at her, but she parried the blow and struck back, driving her spear through the limb. The beast let out a horrible roar and lunged at her. She caught the blow on her shield, but the force of it hurled her to the ground. Onu reared up over her, but before it could come down, Datan Astellor clambered up its side and brought his hammer down on its skull. The beast stiffened, then toppled to the ground, dead.

Journal of Urist McDonald, Restaurateur

22 Hematite, 1088:
Huzzah! We have slain the beast, with no losses on our part! Captain Rakustthusest and Hammerdwarf Astellor will both be given official commendations for their valor.

I've decided to celebrate this joyous occasion by opening my first restaurant. I wasn't sure whether to name it after myself, but in the end I decided that I had to show the world that I was not afraid to have my name associated with the restaurant. So welcome, friends, to the first ever…

…McUrist's! We're serving up fine food for hungry dwarves! Chief Medical Dwarf Cutey complained that our food is unhealthy and "too fattening",

but I don't think anyone is paying attention to her.

25 Hematite, 1088:
I've been reflecting on our battle with Onu, and I realized that if we'd encountered any of its noxious secretions, I'm not sure how I would have cleaned out the fort. It looks like previous overseers have made some plans for this, but I sure can't figure them out. So I've started building a system of my own. It'll take magma from the caldera and dump it into the courtyard, where it will trickle down into the rest of the fort.

And speaking of building new things, I'm planning a big watchtower in the northeast. It'll take a while to construct, though.

15 Hematite, 1088:

Great! The newcomers included a carpenter, a siege engineer, and a stoneworker.

5 Galena, 1088:
Terror stalks among us.

Fortunately, the foul creature was not as careful as it might have been.

The Fortress Guard caught it and chained it up, but apparently only for 200 days! If we let that thing go, it'll just strike again -- I've ordered it sealed into its cell.

15 Galena, 1088:

I've ordered the militia to prepare for a possible ambush.

18 Galena, 1088:

The kobold blundered straight into our militia, which was still on guard against an ambush. It did not live long.

19 Galena, 1088:
Another one!

Several children say it was Ustuch Arzuntir, who has a prior murder conviction.

This one, too, has been sealed in a cell.

20 Galena, 1088:
We traded with the humans today. We gave them old clothes in exchange for alcohol, cloth, leather, thread, and cheese (I've got some good recipe ideas involving cheese).

In other news, we're making good progress on the new residential district.

Now we've just got to furnish all of those rooms.

2 Limestone, 1088:
After trading with the humans to get some more bows and arrows, I've reconstituted the old bowdwarf squad -- only now it has ten members, instead of three. They call themselves "The Ignited Busts".

11 Limestone, 1088:

I've been told that one of our miners has not reported in in some time. I've made some inquiries, and it seems he was last seen being attacked by a magma crab:

I can only surmise that it killed him; perhaps he fell into the magma.

13 Limestone, 1088:
While trying to trace the lost miner's movements, I came across the following engraved on one of the stone tablets in the records:

I'm going to have to have a talk with the parents among us -- they need to prevent their children from chiseling on the official records!

14 Sandstone, 1088:

Poor Ézum had lost a foot in an accident some time ago. She'd gone to the hospital, but none of the doctors had helped her because she "wasn't resting." It seems she finally snapped after months of lying in bed unattended. Of course, now that she's crazy, she's gotten out of bed and has no problem crawling around the fort.

18 Sandstone, 1088:

It looks like Udil Kodvutok, the soldier who went mano a mano with a troll back in early Hematite, is upset at how we remember him (with a snigger at his stupidity, usually). I'll have a proper slab carved out so that he'll leave us alone.

1 Timber, 1088:

There are a lot of them this time: a fish dissector, an herbalist, a jeweler, a leatherworker, a ranger, and an architect, along with another of the curiously shy traders.

2 Timber, 1088:
I heard reports of some sort of dangerous creature wandering the residential district. I realize that our defenses can't be perfect, the Guard can't be everywhere at once, etc., and sometimes things will slip through our perimeter. Nonetheless, I would like somebody to explain to me how a bear got so far into the fort without anyone noticing!

Fortunately, there were plenty of armed soldiers around, and they surrounded the bear and brought it down with their spears without much trouble.

11 Timber, 1088:

Everybody inside!

12 Timber, 1088:
Everyone made it into the fort except for an unfortunate woodcutter. The militia is assembling in case we need to make a sortie.

15 Timber, 1088:

I'm not sure that the caravan guards can handle the goblins on their own. I've sent out the militia to help.

17 Timber, 1088:
Our soldiers may not be very skilled, but they sure are numerous! Massive volleys of bolts and arrows ripped across the battlefield, and each one of our enemies was met by a half-dozen iron-clad dwarves. The goblins have been driven off, with no losses on our side (though we have two wounded)! The caravan is safely inside.

The soldiers have some troubling reports, though. There were humans with these goblins -- easily identifiable by the way they towered above the battlefield. But more disturbing still, there was one opponent who was particularly tough. When our soldiers knocked her helm off, they were shocked at what they saw:

There was a dwarf fighting alongside these goblins! What is the world coming to?

Edit: Added some missing words.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:22:55 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Psuedonym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2013, 02:04:49 pm »

Sign me up! I have a very dwarven idea in mind, heheheheheheheheheheheeeeee*distorted-croaking-barely-recognizable-as-laughter*
Also, obviously, dorf me please.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:46:54 pm by Psuedonym »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2013, 03:39:24 pm »

Can I be redorfed as 'Urist McKiwi II' some time? I wanna see how often I can die in this fort.....

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2013, 05:50:48 pm »

Dwarfing:
- CaptainArchmage is a weapon smith.
- Urist McKiwi II is one of the militia's new recruits.
- Psuedonym is an architect.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 100