Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386580 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The duck returns - NEED MORE OVERSEERS (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2013, 06:20:34 pm »

I'm glad to see the fort be taken into bold and exciting new directions. Cutey must have been talking from experience, being very fat herself. Not to curse her good luck, but are many of the original seven dwarves still alive?

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2013, 06:42:02 pm »

Question: Was I ever dwarfed again?

Im surprised I havent heard any news of my second death yet so Im very curious

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2013, 04:57:29 am »

So last time I got dorfed as a raw recruit I got drained of blood, probably before ever seeing battle.

If I get killed *in my first* battle this time, I'm making some good progress, and by Urist McKiwi V.5.0 I might be heading towards 'almost a decent soldier' before I take a bolt to the face or something....

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2013, 05:35:27 am »

but are many of the original seven dwarves still alive?

The woodcutter, the woodcrafter and the undorfed guard are dead. At the beginning of the turn Udib, Cutey, AnimaRytak and Troll Fur Sock were alive.

Question: Was I ever dwarfed again?

I don't think so.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2013, 07:19:03 am »

but are many of the original seven dwarves still alive?

The woodcutter, the woodcrafter and the undorfed guard are dead. At the beginning of the turn Udib, Cutey, AnimaRytak and Troll Fur Sock were alive.

They are all still alive. Also, UristTheGrey II is now one of our marksdwarves.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2013, 11:01:41 am »

They didn't die horribly? What a shame. It's not dwarfish to live a long life.
Kill me.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The duck returns (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2013, 01:38:51 pm »

The guardsdwarf stumbled and fell to the ground again. He managed to pull himself into a corner and turn around, spear held out before him. It was clear that he would never escape the demons. He watched their ranks approach, vowing to impale at least one before they took him.

"Go!" the Commander had shouted to him, as demons swarmed up from below. "Take Zulgar and collapse McDuck's chamber, before it's too late! We'll hold them here as long as we can!" Zulgar and the guardsdwarf had raced back up the stairs, leaving the sounds of battle behind them.

But it had not been not long before they began to hear the demon horde surging up the passage behind them. As they had approached the end of the hidden passage that led to the cultists' lair, Zulgar had said that he would hold them there. "You're faster than I am," he had said, when the guardsdwarf protested. "Without me holding you back, you just might make it in time." Readying his crossbow, he had taken a position behind the pile of stone blocks outside the entrance. The last thing the guardsdwarf had heard from him had been laughter, before a massive explosion had shaken the earth itself. The guardsdwarf had been thrown to the ground, suffering bruises and, he thought, a broken foot. The sounds of pursuit had quickly resumed.

As the guardsdwarf steadied his spear and prepared to make his last stand (figuratively speaking), a solitary figure appeared from a side-corridor and strode out in front of the demonic host, carrying an axe. The demons surged forward.

The guardsdwarf watched in fascination as Urist McDuck began cutting down demons left and right, moving like smoke through their ranks. He seemed almost indifferent to the foes before him, only bothering to kill them because it was slightly faster than stepping around them. As McDuck advanced relentlessly through the horde, the guardsdwarf remembered the last words of the leader of the hooded dwarves:

"The way is opened…"

The moronic cultists hadn't just given the legions of Hell a way into the world; they'd also given McDuck a way out of it.

The guardsdwarf heaved himself to his feet, supporting his weight on his spear. His duty had been to prevent McDuck's escape. In that, he had failed. But he could follow in McDuck's wake and leave this dying world, to bring warning to others that Urist McDuck was on the loose in the multiverse.

Journal of Urist McDonald, Restaurateur

18 Timber, 1088:
On receiving news of our victory over the goblins, Monom Adagbomrek (one of our traders) became peculiarly secretive and stopped talking to anyone. He's piling up various items in one of our craftsdwarf's workshops.

24 Timber, 1088:
We traded with the dwarven caravan today. We gave them lots of fine bone crafts in exchange for alcohol, cloth and thread, meat, and cheese.

In other news, Monom started working on something today.

28 Timber, 1088:

Monom emerged from his workshop bearing an elaborate wooden crown, "Crabembrace the Bristles of Stopping":

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

11 Moonstone, 1088:
I heard some moaning noises as I passed by the hospital this morning, I took look inside, then decided to track down the doctors and find out why they weren't helping the wounded.

"Can't you see I'm drinking?", Vabok shouted at me. "It's my break," Vucar informed me. "Union rules say I get a full two weeks off regardless of the circumstances."

Well, pardon me! Armok forbid you interrupt your free time to tend to the dwarf with a sucking chest wound.

27 Moonstone, 1088:
A dwarf called Thikut Oddomrinul decided to hunt the "big game" in the caverns. It was a little too big for him, though.

I've dispatched the militia to end the earthworm menace,

but in the future no dwarves are to roam around the caverns.

28 Moonstone, 1088:
Letterdrummed is an ex-worm.

1 Opal, 1088:
It has come to my attention that there are no fewer than four diplomats wandering the fortress, waiting to speak with mayor Morulrigoth. He claims that he's "too busy" to meet with them, so I've had him confined to his chambers until they are all satisfied and go away.

20 Opal, 1088:
Well, it took almost three weeks, but that's one diplomat gone.

Now he can meet with the next one.

23 Opal, 1088:
The liaison has announced that the queen wants to make Moltenchannels a barony!

Of course, we can't be a barony unless we have a baron, and I know just the dwarf for the job!

In other negotiations, we requested steel, pig iron, and flux stone from next year's caravan.

26 Opal, 1088:
The northeastern watchtower is complete! During times of war, our marksdwarves can fight from its top level, raining death on our foes.

And during times of peace, they can go down to the second level to relax and grab a bite to eat at a newly-opened McUrist's!

Furthermore, the watchtower can be sealed off from the rest of the fortress in an emergency (though at the moment it is far from self-sustaining, so don't count on being able to live there indefinitely)

15 Obsidian, 1088:
There's a cloud of dust on the horizon, like a lot of people approaching! Customers, perhaps, here to partake of the fine cuisine at McUrist's?

I guess not.

18 Obsidian, 1088:
We've the sealed the fortress. We left the drawbridge open as long as we could, but we had to leave two unlucky dwarves outside, and they fell to the undead. A handful of zombies managed to get over the drawbridge before we raised it, but the militia met them with overwhelming force and put them down.

19 Obsidian, 1088:
Scouts report that even more undead have appeared.

There are now no fewer than five necromancers in the field.

21 Obsidian, 1088:
The zombies are rather futilely assaulting our gates. A couple of them have fallen into the moat, including one elf corpse that shows no signs of giving up, despite being little more than a vaguely elf-shaped pile of ashes.

Meanwhile, our marksdwarves and bowdwarves are mowing down the zombies out front.

The zombies just sit there and take it. It's good target practice, I suppose.

The necromancers (there are only three now; the other two seem to have wandered off) have set up camp a ways off, and are doing nothing to support the attack.

23 Obsidian, 1088:
I'm out of my depth here. I'm a businessdwarf at heart; I'm not the one to command troops in a battle against the living dead. I'm preparing to step down at the end of the month.

27 Obsidian, 1088:
Just as I was putting the finishing touches on my notes for the next overseer, I got word that one of our jewelers had gone all quiet.

He grabbed a single gem and began furiously working at it.

28 Obsidian, 1088:
Today is my last day as overseer. For my successor, here is a summary of the status of the fort:

The undead are still here. At the recommendation of Commander Sauvage, I've begun readying a potential surprise attack on the necromancer camp.

If we assemble the militia here and seal the passageway behind them (in case things go wrong and we don't want to let the zombies into the fort), we can dig up into the middle of the necromancers' camp. There are zombies within easy call of the camp, but none in the middle of it, so our militia may be able to overwhelm the necromancers before they can call on their minions for aid.

The magma-cleaner is largely complete. All that remains is to provide power to the pump stack and to finish extending the nozzle so that it dumps magma into the courtyard. Don't forget to include a way to turn it off!

Here's the final report on the status of the fort:

And here are the results of the most recent census:

Oh, and one more thing. While I was going through the tablets detailing the orders for each level, I noticed something odd on one for one of the very lowest levels (beneath the magma sea; it's extraordinarily unlikely that we'll ever reach it):

I've no idea what to make of it.

Anyway, best of luck to you, oh Anonymous Successor! And if you ever need to grab some food while you're on the go, stop by McUrist's! We're opening new locations all the time!

While I won't go so far as to say that my turn was uneventful, I do seem to have gotten pretty lucky and none of the potential disasters became an actual disaster (the scary forgotten beast was taken down immediately by a lucky shot, the ambushes and sieges came at times when almost everybody was inside, etc.). Of course, that just means that the next turn will have to be twice as much Fun as usual to balance things out. The save can be found here.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:35:59 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - We collect diplomats and necromancers (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »

I bet you a barrel of sunshine we'll end with yet another unfinished flooding mechanism. :P

That was an awesome turn, and I loved the side story. I'm looking ahead to all the headaches our new baron will give us. ::)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:01:24 pm by Wastedlabor »

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2013, 05:17:50 pm »

Wow.
I haven't been by here in a long while (changed jobs, moved houses, went broke, went unbroke, wrote a book, all sorts of stuff), and I'm flabbergasted to see Ardentdikes lives! Not through any virtue of my own, of course, all the epicness was due to other people.  But I'm still amazed!
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2013, 06:12:58 pm »

I love our new flaming skeleton elf swimming in the moat. I hope we get to keep it :u

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2013, 06:20:09 pm »

I haven't been by here in a long while (changed jobs, moved houses, went broke, went unbroke, wrote a book, all sorts of stuff), and I'm flabbergasted to see Ardentdikes lives!

This necromancer plagued fortress brought the Duck back to life, and now Daetrin. :o

Edit: Since Daetrin didn't, I'm requesting the dorfing of Ardentdikes' starter myself.

Edit 2: Duck's save has different raws. Uploading one with the same raws as the initial save.

Edit 3: Here, if you see yellow meals as walls, try this save.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:49:31 pm by Wastedlabor »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2013, 06:53:01 pm »

Hey! I did the hard part of the flooding machine. I got the entire lower stack built and it should all run in the right direction. All it needs is some power and a minor correction of the tower. The underground section. The constructed surface section should run without a problem. Run it up another level or two beyond the top of the fortress so it'll pressurize up into the towers.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Oh, might also want to see if McDuck turned off the Glass Furnaces. We might be swimming in glass pump components. I know I never turned them off.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:55:27 pm by Triaxx2 »

Psuedonym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2013, 07:29:59 pm »

Vanilla + fixdiplomants + fixmerchants + a few changed veins because I forgot to adjust mineral scarcity, d'oh!

Ok, I'm slightly noobily lost. I've got vanilla, now do I have to do anything about the other things, or is that part of the save file?

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2013, 10:10:04 pm »

To be honest Idk if the original is running vanilla vanilla or actually IronHand's. The other stuff is modded in the raws, you don't need anything and it doesn't really matter.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2013, 10:58:32 pm »

I've taken a look at the save... a good job has been done here! The only thing is the zombie siege and the low FPS. I'm getting 25 on start. What are other people getting?

I'm not getting any of the totally messed up tiles that seem to come up with graphics pack conversions when you run them on an ASCII setting (which I am using), so that's fine.

Edit: I see there are coins. Does anyone think we should have a run of coins each year if possible, just to see what comes up on the designs?

Edit2: Oh God the Unicorns
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:10:38 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 100