Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385287 times)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - We collect diplomats and necromancers (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #330 on: March 11, 2013, 10:10:30 pm »

My guess? Incredible developer involvement, and even more complex mechanics.
Myself and Eve have a very complicated relationship. Very on and off. Been tempted to give 'er another try one of these days...

Heh, imagine trying to command a battle in Eve in which all your ships are piloted by players doing whatever --that's Alleg.

80% of the game is teamplay and stealth tactics, all player-skill based, nothing you could grind. I really had to use my brain every second of it (here's some nsfw audio gameplay). I'm retired ever since I moved to Linux, I wish someone made a modern version of that game.  :-\

(Sorry for the off-topic interlude, just killing time.)

Ive been playing eve since beta, and its awesome. Its rather interesting since i tend to do logistics and small gang stuff. Ive run large fleets before, and its like herding cats. Angry, drunk, moronic cats, with a massive superiority complex.

Awesome log btw CaptainArchmage
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2013, 11:08:30 am »

Can you dwarf me I don't want a turn just a Dwarf
Oop's Wrong Lever!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2013, 11:52:42 am »

Can you dwarf me I don't want a turn just a Dwarf

I'll assume this doesn't count towards the five personally-named dwarves. We need more dwarves in this fortress. What kind of dwarf do you want? We've got just about every profession under the sun here besides hunters and soap, cheese, potash, and lye makers.

Official log of the Archwiseard, Felsite

Today I have made some major changes to employment. Dwarven mechanics are not to do any other work besides mechanics. Siege Engineers are also to perform mechanical duties and will not be hauling anything either.

Firstly, we have a lot of dwarves assigned carpentry, those who are woodworkers are going to continue in their profession and will be cutting trees if possible. Carpenters without wood-cutting or bow-making skills will be hauling wood around. Woodworkers who carry military-issued weapons will be hauling wood and not cutting down trees.

Apparently two of our carpenters have decent skills, the rest have a low level of competence. For a fortress such as this one, we will need to get highly skilled craftdwarves.

Secondly, we have a lot of dwarves assigned glassmaking. None of the carpenters are going to be making glass objects, and we will stick to using qualified individuals.

I have also made some important changes to the sector overlay of the fortress. We currently have five zones, the Fortress Interior, Guard Towers, Upper Levels, Mayoral Chambers, and Baronial Chambers, which are in need of updating along with the alerts.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:32:20 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2013, 12:55:14 pm »

Nah dorfings don't count, the five are so you can set up your little squad of swimming blowgunners or whatever. :3
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2013, 04:24:54 pm »

The alert system was a mess, so I added three more alert levels and three new burrows to deal with current needs. I also adjusted existing burrows somewhat, so the fortress interior contains some of the expanded areas.

We have an Underground borrow that covers everything underground, along with the entire volcano, the area inside the magma moat, and some of the murky pools. We then have the Aboveground Fortress Area, which contains everything that is aboveground and behind walls or a magma moat or in the sky above the aforementioned areas, which is less restrictive than the "Upper Levels" burrow, which keeps dwarves within the fortress walls. Finally, we have the Reclaim Zone, which is a special burrow to expand outside the fortress area for siege cleanup.

We have three new alerts which constrain dwarves to anywhere underground or in the aboveground fortress area (7), or anywhere underground and within the fortress walls (6), or anywhere in the underground, in the aboveground fortress area, or reclaim zones (8). Finally, I added the underground burrow to the underground station alert, since that wasn't used for anything.

To carry out the cleanup, we're going to what is currently "Alert State 8" to allow reclaiming the outside.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 14, 2013, 09:10:27 am »

Less plans, more action!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2013, 02:41:10 pm »

I took the fortress up to Alert 8 and opened two holes in the wall, and created a reclaim zone over the fortress entrance. The first hole allows access to a walled off part of the island. The second hole allows access to the retracting bridge, as I did not want to lower the main bridge since it would smash a lot of AnimaRytak's silver bolts. The last surviving kobold fled the map just before we got out for the first time in months, and the constantly burning zombie elf was shot, collapsing into the lava.

After digging out Reactor 2, our miners had no further work to do so I assigned them to a special project in the caverns.

When deconstructing the walls, some strange teleportation accidents happened. All our cages and some of the skeletons were teleported to the place where the dwarves dumped the stone blocks. For some reason they did not find this odd.

I'm forbidding a lot of the scattered ammunition, as our marksdwarves keep trying to grab stuff on the other side of the outside area.

Further journal entry, sometime in summer

I've lowered the main drawbridge for further access and maintenance. The mining project in the caverns is doing pretty well, and I think we could establish some further settlements down there. The glory of this fortress is yet to be realized.

As of today, no active miners are to carry out hauling duties.

I've tasked our now-inactive woodcutters with cleaning the junk off the surface.

One of our masons got possessed and is now making an artefact in the second cavern layer.
Complete! We now have a granite armor stand with an image of a zombie being killed by a draltha leather sock. A most fitting piece to glorify our fortress.

I have removed the mayor from the Fortress Guard as this appears to be causing conflicts with his diplomatic duties. His position on the squad (4) has been taken over by Äs Istrathbomrek the Tanner.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:35:38 pm by CaptainArchmage »

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Holy Socks, Urist! (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #337 on: March 14, 2013, 10:54:44 pm »

Only in Moltenchannels would I be sad to learn that the elf corpse burning in our moat for several years finally died

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #338 on: March 15, 2013, 12:30:05 am »

Only in Dwarf Fortress can a corpse die.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 15, 2013, 12:44:02 pm »

Only in Moltenchannels would I be sad to learn that the elf corpse burning in our moat for several years finally died

The elf corpse came with the zombie siege. It was actually the one thing keeping the siege tag up left on the map, after the Necromancers decided to siege another castle instead and a few goblin and then kobold ambushes ran into the undead. In fact, there was only one kobold left alive on the map after all the ambushes, having cleared out all the undead except for the the burning elf in the moat. That kobold decided to bug out just before the bridges were lowered.

The magma channel is being branched, so one end will go into the fortress (as in Ardentdykes) and the other end will be used to flood or burn the rest of the map.

While the map is bisected by a road on one end, as long as the fire starts somewhere on the mainland it will spread across everything there if there's grass. We could probably fill the magma moat more easily this way.

I'm actually disappointed by the moat and the design choices we've made. I believe a proper moat should have spikes at the bottom so in the likely event that something (read: Undead) survives the fall into the magma, they will have to deal with a pointy landing.

Only in Dwarf Fortress can a corpse die.

OK, deanimate. Collapse. Stop moving. Whatever you want to call it, as long as its not punching our dwarves brains out.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:45:46 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 15, 2013, 01:05:53 pm »

Fortress Journal,

A giant thrips is under attack by a magma crab deep inside the volcano. Apparently these magma crabs can seriously injure persons in the area about the volcano, so I'm glad we're using a reclaim zone. The main chamber of my tomb is finally hewn out in the caverns. I have decided to expand that settlement area.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 15, 2013, 03:52:51 pm »

So, I guess that we will soon have lots of engravings depicting "elf's corpse corpse corpse left arm third finger striking down Urist McHunter"...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 15, 2013, 04:04:20 pm »

I'm actually disappointed by the moat and the design choices we've made. I believe a proper moat should have spikes at the bottom so in the likely event that something (read: Undead) survives the fall into the magma, they will have to deal with a pointy landing.

When I made the raised bridges I thought someone would pick the hint and build a second wall to fill it with magma. :'(

But alas, we ended with magma channels instead of magma dikes. I guess that makes sense.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 15, 2013, 04:21:57 pm »

So, I guess that we will soon have lots of engravings depicting "elf's corpse corpse corpse left arm third finger striking down Urist McHunter"...

History must be recorded as it happened, for our children's children to know exactly how things happened.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 15, 2013, 06:38:05 pm »

We got a bunch of migrants! A metalsmith competent at all kinds of metalcrafting, a talented carpenter, two traders, a fisherdwarf, a miner, and a dyer. I had to DFhack twice because of migrant traders not showing up as citizens... hope this is OK.

I found the mayor hauling around items for storage despite not having any jobs active, so I locked him in the minecart-to-volcano structure with the outpost liason to prompt him to wrap up the meeting. At this point I noticed he was only wearing one sock. Hopefully things are heating up in there so we can carry on with dumping corpses and other items from the outside in there for sorting. He is still ecstatic despite having walked around nearly naked since his discharge from the Fortress Guard.

My tomb is finally dug out in the cavern layer. Now I need to find another mining project to keep the miners busy.

The fortress is now in an emergency situation as the Forgotten Beast
Oströt Strabo Ebra, "Oströt the Oceans of Murk" approaches the fortress in the second underground area. The only defences down there are doors, which can be beaten down. Oströt is an enormous blob made out of vomit and with a broad shell, undulating rhythmically. The lore says that it has poisonous vapors, so I prefer to call in soldiers with ranged weapons.

Edit: I'm going to upload a screenshot of this. The mayor has put on some clothes, all pilfered from the corpses in the said minecart-to-volcano room. There's another dwarf in there too.

Oströt only has two parts, a body and a shell. This could be tricky. I might need to wall off the underground section.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:00:45 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 100