Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385631 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Holy Socks, Urist! (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #345 on: March 15, 2013, 07:14:00 pm »

I had to DFhack twice because of migrant traders not showing up as citizens... hope this is OK.

As a DFhack user myself (and having used it to pick the location), I do recommend people to avoid using it on Moltenchannels unless it's force majeure. Try to roleplay the bugs if possible, unless they are game-breaking. :)
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 15, 2013, 07:38:45 pm »

Please excuse the wait, I've been trying to compile an impression of the situation. The junk you see here is a portion of the junk dumped on one tile, on which the Armorer happens to be standing. There's rotting corpses in there, the skeleton of a pet rabbit, and an unrotten pig cheese too. I've included information on the mayor's current job, skills, and inventory. The guy was only wearing one sock when he went in there. The other clothing has been taken from within the pile of stuff.

Masterwork Graphic

The thing with the traders is if they stay on the edge of the map, they also block any more migrants coming in, which is why I DFhack'd.

There's another bug or feature: Dwarf corpses from the undead also get buried in coffins. I've found a lot of coffins filled with dwarf corpses from the undead invasion. Probably should be reported on Mantis, does anyone know how you do that?

I've placed the foundations for some outside towers, made of brimstone. We might be able to make a proper dyke here! Also the moat intersects with some murky pools, which are a real pain. Some flooring is really needed over here.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:54:01 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 15, 2013, 08:34:42 pm »

Ok, someone has to draw that meeting, for real.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 15, 2013, 09:08:38 pm »

Ok, someone has to draw that meeting, for real.

Much happens in a Fortress with this many dwarves.

(A magical-projection presentation by Äs Jewelwhip the Tanner, made using equipment "borrowed" from the Archwiseard)

Last week in Moltenchannels, we had a gloriooooous plethora of Fun happenings! The Mayor was meeting the Outpost Liason wearing nothing but a sock, in a rather strange location! A forgotten horror from long ago was laying siege to the settlement in the second cavern layer! Let us find out what will happen-

(Tirist Savagerazors the Gladiator Trainee runs past behind him carrying some <<-pamphlets->>)

Extra! Extra! Underequiped squad takes on the terrifying forgotten beast in the mid-cavern layer! Read all about it! Dwarven baby found dehydrated in disk trap room! Extra! Naked mole dog washes down dining hall waterfall! Read all about it! Reactor Beta finished in record time! Extra! Reclaim zone expanded! Read all about it! Production of steel battle axes in full swing! Extra! Extra! The Archwiseard orders expansion down to the depths!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:10:14 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 15, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »

CaptainArchmage's fortress journal, sometime in summer

The Ignited Busts engaged the Forgotten Beast Oströt Strabo Ebrå in the second cavern layer, outside the walls of the fortress. This was the particular squad assigned bows, however, only one recruit brought any arrows to the battle, while the rest charged in melee using their bows as clubs. Some of the said bows were wooden. The beast was defeated without any losses, however, three members of the squad were hit by the creature's vapor, and developed a fever and full-body blistering. Here is a rendition of the battle aftermath:

Just after the battle, the dwarven baby Mistêm Zuglarvucar was found dead, dehydrated in a room beneath the dungeons, a room with a note on the staircase that it was to be filled with disk traps. Just how did things end up that way to begin with?

I expanded the reclaim zone to the south of the road, and unlocked the door of the minecart-to-volcano room so as not to hold up the dumping.

I removed some non-miner dwarves from the mining squads so they could do other things, such as make rock blocks and doors or cook meals.

Now regarding cooking meals, we have a serious situation on our hands. I did an investigation as to what the hell was going on with the background food production, and made a shocking discovery about the ingredients.

From now on none of the meals will use tallow, and we will make better quality meals given the abundance of food in this fortress. We have 1300 plump helmets, with the total number of plants standing at 1356. We have 3236 units of other food, 178 units of meat, and 96 units of fish. We have 1614 units of seeds and 811 units of drinks. In total, food stores are at 7291. That is well over the lever to justify making lavish meals. I have also managed to grow some sun berries, and I think we should start growing more to produce good quality booze.

Reactor Beta has been equipped with waterwheels. I will need to build a pump and drain, but otherwise the majority of the machine has been finished.

Finally, I have designated a hall and staircase descending to the depths, and our miners are busy clearing it out.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:43 pm »

Hmm. I've always wondered (well...since playing DF a lot) how one goes about making a biscuit out of meat....wonder if it's a failed attempt at  meat patties or something.....

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #351 on: March 16, 2013, 01:02:20 am »

Hmm. I've always wondered (well...since playing DF a lot) how one goes about making a biscuit out of meat....wonder if it's a failed attempt at  meat patties or something.....
It probably is, actually, because all the meat has to be finely minced beforehand.

And about the tallow stew... in my fortress Frosthall my dwarves dine on masterwork crundle tallow roasts. The ingredients are usually about 5-6 lumps of masterfully minced crundle tallow.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 16, 2013, 02:25:19 am »

Summer? Didn't you meet with the outpost liaison in the previous update?

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 16, 2013, 06:32:13 am »

The outpost liaison has been there since my turn.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2013, 09:56:15 am »

The outpost liaison has been there since my turn.

Let me correct that for you. There are at least two dwarf diplomats. As they mayor was on duty, he never met with them. There are also other diplomats around.

tl;dr: The mayor shouldn't be in the military when there are diplomats around, unless you want to start collecting them.

The reason I don't want to use tallow is tallow is needed for soap. Also, I think our dwarves could do with some lavish meals.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 16, 2013, 12:33:38 pm »

I always thought diplomas went insane if you ignored them for that amount of time. 
where is up?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #356 on: March 16, 2013, 02:37:06 pm »

I always thought diplomas went insane if you ignored them for that amount of time. 
They usually just sit on the wall and gather dust, as far as I know.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 16, 2013, 03:46:05 pm »

Traders go insane. Diplomats just hang around, but if your mayor changes or gets a strange mood they will leave unhappy. What happens when multiple diplomats from the same civilisation are on the map though?

Question unrelated to succession: has anyone done sufficient decompilation to determine how item count causes such a slowdown?

Confirmed activation in Reactor Alpha! We're generating 700 power and consuming 135. Floodgates have been closed and we have confirmation that the system is active.

In other news, the miners have broken through the cavern wall in the lower caverns, and have located a source of water. Fortunately, the breach was high up, so we can seal it off. I'm going to have to replan the entrance, but at least we know what the layout is like down there. We could, however, have sent a proper exploration team down through the floored-over passage.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:13:01 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 16, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »

I'm now imagining some poor young dwarf who's just won an election getting chased by a huge wild-eyed mob shouting "ATTEND MEETING!" at him as he runs down the finely carved halls, finally reaching his new office (which his predecessor sure as hell didn't ever use), slams the door and catches his breath before turning around...... to find a row of dusty statues slowly turn their heads and start moving slowly towards him....

"Attend.......meeting....."

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37:40 pm »

I'm now imagining some poor young dwarf who's just won an election getting chased by a huge wild-eyed mob shouting "ATTEND MEETING!" at him as he runs down the finely carved halls, finally reaching his new office (which his predecessor sure as hell didn't ever use), slams the door and catches his breath before turning around...... to find a row of dusty statues slowly turn their heads and start moving slowly towards him....

"Attend.......meeting....."

For some reason, the guy doesn't seem to be finishing his meeting despite being dressed now.

There was some fantastic action in the depths, which I unfortunately forgot to document, featuring some reptile man blowgunners and a gigantic spider creature.

Fortress Log by CaptainArchmage, Archwiseard, 18th Galena 1089, Late Summer

The human caravan has arrived, bringing with them a guild representative and six wagons. That's right, six wagons. I'm going to be selling at least a large quantity of the prepared food we have to buy their stuff out. After they are all inside, I will try to do some changes to the front gate to make this place safer.

While the caravan was arriving, a naked mole dog made of with a massive duck egg roast valued at over 4000 Urists. I sent the gate squad after it but they were too slow. I have since pulled them back closer to the gate.

All members of The Ignited Busts affected by
Oströt's Forgotten Beast syndrome have fully recovered now, which is pretty good. I also expanded the reclaim zone outside the fortress again, further to the south.

After forging ten steel battle axes, I created a new squad, The Decent Letters, lead by Avuz Konosshaketh who recently came of age. The ten-strong squad carries the new steel weapons and whatever high-quality armor could be found. We're lagging behind in quality armor, which is mostly from iron or bronze. Fortunately, we can remedy this by digging even deeper; marble has been found in the magma sea and bottom cavern layer.

My tomb was finished, with AnimaRytak forging some gold items! Reactor Beta is also ready to be activated. As with Reactor Alpha, Reactor Beta is also capable of generating 700 Urists of power.

I had to divert the digging operations to the depths. Unfortunately, the plans got scrambled and a little channel was dug before I fixed the errors. It looks messy but I can find some use for the channels. In the meantime, the forgotten beast Dösta Ungurasm Esnust Ngut, "Dösta Puppetsprincess the Hollows of Hobbling" arrived and totally wiped out the tribe of reptile people down there. It is a great scaly spider with a square shell, and it undulates rhythmically. Its emerald scales are blocky and close-set. According to the lore, it has a poisonous bite. As a spider, it can shoot webs. Fortunately the beast does not have wings so we should be safe for a while up here. I wonder if we can somehow trap it? In the meantime I have ordered the construction of some floor hatches so we can seal off the cavern layers if necessary.

I have designated a completely new settlement around and within the depths. It shall be called

New Townbrush

Mining is carrying on as we speak. The entrance to the depths has been mined out right up to the cavern wall, along with a channel magma-based defence system. Screw pumps are also being installed as we speak, thanks to the immense surplus of green glass corkscrews and tubes and gabbro blocks. I want to add in a minecart transportation system too, but one thing at a time.

Watch this space, I might add some more. I think Dösta got the longer title because it killed off a lot of reptile men, but the Archwiseard did not check that before the battle was over. The idea for trapping the beast is to seal it into a room with bridges that would trap it, but allow it to move around. We could use the room as a turret or for harvesting webs. Unique forgotten beast webs that nobody else can get their hands on. The plans for New Townbrush include a weaver's guildhouse, which I could expand on.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:20:17 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 100