Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383810 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Holy Socks, Urist! (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #360 on: March 16, 2013, 09:27:32 pm »

Aw, man... those reptilemen were badass. One of them was a friend of the fort.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - We have reactors and angry diplomats (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2013, 10:55:04 pm »

Next update will likely have to come tomorrow. We're now under siege by goblins, the gate closed just after the last wagon went in, and just before the trolls reached the entrance. The two gold statues at the entrance were knocked away, but not into the moat. Fortunately. We'll be able to trade, and let the wagons out into the cavern exit. I don't know if we'll get by the siege before the dwarven caravan comes though.

The siege consists of trolls and melee goblins. My solution may be lava-based, I'm not happy because I want to recover most things from outside though.

The first outpost liason finally finished his meeting with the mayor. Took long enough.

I'm going to activate Reactor Beta.

Stay tuned for more updates!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2013, 09:17:21 am »

Question unrelated to succession: has anyone done sufficient decompilation to determine how item count causes such a slowdown?

I asked Quietust's opinion on this a while back, since I noticed that using DFHack "autodump-destroy" on large numbers of items sped things up significantly in one fort, but did nothing in a test-fort that I ran.  Q's opinion was that what slows the fort down more than anything (except pathfinding and liquid movement) was spatter on items left on the ground.  It seems like temperature checks on these things are frequent and needlessly slow, and propagate temperature thrashing all over the map due to rounding issues. 

Try turning temperature off, and seeing if the FPS jump is abnormally large - that would indicate that this may be to blame for slowness.

The other big FPS killers I'm aware of are magma stack temperature issues (there's a workaround for that), and reclaim bugs.  Dunno if either of those are to blame here. 
where is up?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2013, 10:42:22 am »

Question unrelated to succession: has anyone done sufficient decompilation to determine how item count causes such a slowdown?

I asked Quietust's opinion on this a while back, since I noticed that using DFHack "autodump-destroy" on large numbers of items sped things up significantly in one fort, but did nothing in a test-fort that I ran.  Q's opinion was that what slows the fort down more than anything (except pathfinding and liquid movement) was spatter on items left on the ground.  It seems like temperature checks on these things are frequent and needlessly slow, and propagate temperature thrashing all over the map due to rounding issues. 

Try turning temperature off, and seeing if the FPS jump is abnormally large - that would indicate that this may be to blame for slowness.

The other big FPS killers I'm aware of are magma stack temperature issues (there's a workaround for that), and reclaim bugs.  Dunno if either of those are to blame here.

Let me correct that: The question was whether understanding of the code had reached the level where it was possible to hack in (i.e. create a binary patch for, as done to stop the "Too deep" countdown and introduce z-levels to the 2-D version) a solution that would speed up FPS or increase efficiency.

As to the succession, I now have to deal with a ridiculous amount of trading and deal with the goblin siege.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 17, 2013, 07:57:55 pm »

CaptainArchmage cancels Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Kerbal Space Program 0.19

After building a skycrane rover (read: Curiosity) and landing it on another planet, I got back to Moltenchannels.

The more time-consuming thing here is editing up the multitude of brilliant pics we're getting of the action, which features flying emu bone bolts, forgotten beasts, and things falling into lava.

CaptainArchmage's Fortress Log, 23rd Galena 1089

This is the entrance of Moltenchannels just after the gates shut. One brave Axeman stayed behind to fight off the hoards.

This is the state of the depths after the forgotten beast Dösta wiped out the tribe of reptile men. The white ichor or extract found is actually from another forgotten beast named En while the bright red is a mixture of reptile man blood and En's forgotten beast extract. I am unsure of its properties until I can find more of the lore.

To do something with our large gold reserves, I have designated a pyramid to be build over the central part of the fortress, with at least the base made out of gold.

As our fortifications are not actually complete, and the dwarves designated to rip up the roads in the entrance are being scared by the trolls. However, those armed with crossbows were firing them directly at the siege, so I activate the Fortress Guard squad and stationed them at the guard towers. I'm considering arming our entire population with ranged weapons anyways.

I count six squads in total, including the trolls. A few goblins decide to try balancing on a few block pillars in the middle of the moat. These are the same block pillars armed with traps, at least one goblin gets skewered and falls off onto some obsidian.

With the guard piling into the towers, the goblin Spearmaster Snodub âstongem, "Snodub Flinchjackals" comes under fire. He blocks two with his shield and doges the last masterwork donkey bone bolt into the magma moat and is incinerated.

Down in the caves, some crundles walk into cage traps. Twice. Without any spare storage, the cages are just being left where they are, so I have designated a large stockpile for cages. Much deeper down, the miners are busy carving out the outpost of New Townbrush, our new bastion and village down in the depths.

That's one update complete. A few typographical errors in the annotation, but 1) there is a toll for the goblins at the gate, show us your magma diving skills! 2) It is not a lake anymore since it is contaminated with forgotten beast extract. Yes, there's forgotten beast extract in one of the lakes in the depths now.

Onward, for the glory of Moltenchannels!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:57:18 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 17, 2013, 10:13:48 pm »

Moltenchannels Trading Report, Summer 1089 by CaptainArchmage, Archwiseard

Trading with Civilization: The Patterned Confederations, a human civilisation
Caravan Arrival: Caravan arrived Safely
Diplomat With Caravan (Safe Arrival): Yes (Yes)
Human Caravan Casualties on Arrival: 1 Axeman
Property Damage During Caravan Arrival:
•To fortress, caused by siege, two gold statues worth 3000 and 750 suns knocked down by trolls. Otherwise intact and recoverable.
•To caravan, caused by siege, 997 suns worth of equipment lost. May be recovered by our own forces later.

Merchants Commenced Trading: Yes
Banned Export List: Animal traps
Approximate Value of Items Sold: 60,000 Suns
Items Traded for Export: Leather Clothing, Cloth Clothing, Green Glass Pump Components, Totems, Rings, Scepters, Prepared Meals
Approximate Value of Items Purchased: 40,000 Suns
Items Purchased: Metal bars, Small Gems, Glass, Cheese, Fish, Plants, Barrels, Bags, Animals, Cages, Dye, Cloth, Thread, Leather, Anvils, Arrows, Leather, Weapons, Trap Components

With the amount of stuff we're trading, I'm doing it in multiple runs. The value of prepared meals traded off was about 40,000 Urists and those were only the meals contained in green glass pots. Somewhere there's a stack of 325 -horse's milk biscuits- made from well-minced forgotten beast meat and minced horse's milk, with a value of 8125 Suns. I wonder which forgotten beast that was?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:24:28 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2013, 04:00:12 am »

The meat is probably from the eight legged giant hedgehog on post #117.

En's ichor is from the forgotten beast the repitle men slayed on post #155.

So the goblins came and installed tolls in our roads. That's pure evil. :'(

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »

The meat is probably from the eight legged giant hedgehog on post #117.

En's ichor is from the forgotten beast the repitle men slayed on post #155.

So the goblins came and installed tolls in our roads. That's pure evil. :'(

Its amazing what we can do with typographical errors. Outside of the sectors where you have to correctly spell things for them to work right it can do brilliant things.

Double damnation! A tree grew near the intake for Reactor Beta, reducing water pressure considerably. This is preventing us from operating the reactor properly. As the intake is too close to the forgotten beast Isa, I'm not going to risk cutting it down. I have removed the grate over the intake and the engravers will cut a new fortification while the pump-operator pumps I'll have to find a way to get them to both stay down there, likely by locking the green glass hatch over the pump access.

As there were more items I wanted to obtain, I sold some of our green glass pump components. We can always make more of those, while we have a shortage of bronze and could do with some more of these imported metal weapons. Magma glass furnaces are to be run again. I have also ordered an expansion of the main entrance area to the north. Hopefully our dwarves will be able to complete it with the siege outside, the area is inaccessible from that side because of the magma moat, and most of the goblins opposite the area are dying from bolt-inflicted injuries.

(One of) The dwarven diplomat(s) finished his meeting with the mayor and left an export agreement. The next diplomat is one of the human guildmasters. Finally, I opened the road exit to the upper caverns for when the human caravan leaves.

Official Fortress Log by CaptainArchmage, 27th Galena 1089

The outpost liason, who finished his meeting with the mayor, left through the upper caverns.
Stesokcatten Orabkíddirimush and the surrounding lands have been made a barony.
It looks like Urist McDonald is now the Baron. His room requirements are already met. I also have confirmation the trade agreement has been formalised.

1st Limestone, 1089

It is now Autumn. The human diplomat exchanged a few words with the mayor before leaving, probably again through the caverns. The humans likely go underground to another dwarven fortress before leaving over the surface, on a proper paved road, but the Outpost liason went the other way. I don't know, maybe there's a shortcut for those not riding wagons.

In the upper caverns, Reactor Beta activates. Again. The engravers, however, are busy elsewhere. The mayor begins his meeting with a Herbalist, likely another outpost liason. Aboveground, the goblins have retreated to a safer place out of range of our guard towers, but they are still in the nearby area. The tall lava channel has now reached the main fortress area....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:47:22 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2013, 12:39:40 pm »

It is now Autumn. The human diplomat exchanged a few words with the mayor before leaving, probably again through the caverns. The humans likely go underground to another dwarven fortress before leaving over the surface, on a proper paved road, but the Outpost liason went the other way. I don't know, maybe there's a shortcut for those not riding wagons.

Does this mean there is an exit you're not aware of? May be worth checking and trapping/walling it.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2013, 12:49:53 pm »

Does this mean there is an exit you're not aware of? May be worth checking and trapping/walling it.

The diplomats are exiting through the caverns, which are not under siege. There are entrances at the edges of the cavern, with the caravan road exit being to the north (the walls go right through to the edge, so it cannot be accessed as an entrance unless something spawns right on it). The caravan will use the road exit since its the only exit through the caverns they can use, but the diplomats can use any edge tile to leave from. This is just the way the game works.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 18, 2013, 01:01:38 pm »

Oh... I haven't ever had diplomants or caravan be that deep, so actually did not know that. Did you construct the road, or is this simply a "Deep Road"?
The diplomats are exiting through the caverns, which are not under siege. There are entrances at the edges of the cavern, with the caravan road exit being to the north (the walls go right through to the edge, so it cannot be accessed as an entrance unless something spawns right on it). The caravan will use the road exit since its the only exit through the caverns they can use, but the diplomats can use any edge tile to leave from. This is just the way the game works.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its not even a worldgen road. Its just hall way that is at least 3 tiles wide going down from the depot to the upper caverns. The section leaving the cavern isn't a road, it is just dirt and rough stone with a wall to block it off from the rest of the cavern, and should probably be paved up. Caverns will not arrive by the deep road, they will only arrive by the surface. They can leave by the deep road, however.

Its really not the depths until we get to the deep caverns. I could probably designate a big road all the way down there, but our miners are too busy digging out New Townbrush. There is half the year left, however. If I don't manage to finish everything by the deadline (low FPS), I can just submit the save as it is.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:13:42 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm just imagining a dozen lost diplomats wandering aimlessly through the caverns, passing by the skeletons of all the previous ones.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:44:33 pm by Wastedlabor »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Moltenchannels Fortress Journal by CaptainArchmage
10th Limestone, 1089

The engravers finish their work and cut the new fortifications in the intake. The flow of water down here is still considerably lower, and its taking a while for the reactor chamber to fill up whilst the drain is active.

The expanded fortifications to the north are complete with no interruptions from the siege. This will make the main surface entrance more symmetrical as well as provide more room for expansion.

The Herbalist tells my mayor he is empowered to elevate the land, and then tries to arrange an export arrangement. I saw the one made with the previous outpost liason, and it was absolutely terrible. I put in an order for leather, wood, all types of cloth, thread, most kinds of meat, fish, plants, seeds, barrels, cages, all types of metal, all types of small gems, glass, blocks, miscellaneous products, and all types of stone. Highest emphasis went on fish, plants, seeds, leather, miscellaneous products, metal, wood, gems, blocks, and stone.

Now I do understand that I have gone all-out on the import agreement. However, we are under siege, we have a need for many gems, we need lye and extra wood, we need metal for many things, we need stone for the fortress, we need ore for more metal, we need barrels for storage, and we certainly need a good deal of leather and cloth for our new uniforms.

In other news, I have cut off the magma intake from the volcano to the forges. The rock remains hot inside the reservoir and if we begin extracting the lava from the volcano, its level may drop below the forge level. This lever, the cave exit road lever, and the corresponding floodgate and bridge have now been properly labeled.

Does anyone know what happens when multiple import and export agreements are made?

Edit: What kind of uniform color do you think we should have at Moltenchannels? There are three types of dye we have access to, blue, red, and green. To get access to black dye, I would need to hack the raws to generate some silver barb seeds out of thin air, before reverting them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:58:05 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The following entry is found in the Fortress Journal by CaptainArchmage, but it is undated apart from appearing in between entries. It is written in a slightly different hand.

Schisms, they come. They manifest here, just as in the lore. Once again, as dwarves dismantle a wall, where the block falls becomes a vessel. A vessel for transport. As the old north wall of the fortress was moved, the cages materialised where the blocks fell. Then the siege remains materialised where the blocks fell. The schisms are growing in number. It is only a matter of time.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 100