Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386258 times)

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think Archmage is a day past the time limit on overseer turns

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the next overseer is ready to take over I can't say no. The point of shuffling turns was to do a quick one. :-\
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

If the next overseer is ready to take over I can't say no. The point of shuffling turns was to do a quick one. :-\

I can post the current save as it is. Shall I go ahead?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fortress Log by CaptainArchmage, 16th Limestone 1089

The Baron's first action was to mandate the construction of two breastplates. AnimaRytak is our legendary armorsmith, and as far as I am concerned he will be forging the breastplates. I am going to hold off on using steel until we can obtain more, though.

The human merchants are now packing up, and will be leaving through the now-open cavern road.

Please excuse the wait time, IRL lifted time restrictions (imposed by other commitments) on my availability, and I'm doing my ph.D in Dwarven Physics with these reactors. The "drain reactor to waterfall" was as much of a terrible idea in Dwarf Fortress as in real life, but for different reasons.

The Archwiseard's Official Fortress Journal, 1st Sandstone 1089, Mid-Autumn

I have started assigning citizens rooms in New Townbrush. These are proper rooms, much larger than those elsewhere in the fortress, with provision for the installation of windows. Among the new inhabitants of our new outpost in the depths are Avuz Konosshaketh and her squad The Decent Letters, Monom Vabôkothlest the Carpenter, and ézum Timnärkadol the Miner.

The entrance to New Townbrush has been smoothed up in record time, so I set the engravers to work finishing of the rest.

The pump power levers have now been installed properly, but Reactor Beta is still down for modifications. On the surface, the on-island magma distribution network has reached the fortress walls. Some more work and we could create a magma trap right at the entrance! Dwarves will not focus extension efforts to the
"!!Shroud of Armok!!" Wildfire Creation System.

I have ordered the construction of bone bolts, giving our craftsdwarves employment in arming our military.

Official Fortress Log by CaptainArchmage, 17th Sandstone 1089, Mid Autumn

Shortly after the new month, AnimaRytak got possessed by unknown forces and took over a mason's workshop, demanding a bunch of items. I finally figured we were out of bones, likely because of the massive bone-carving operation to make more ammunition for the military. A bunch of cats and a water buffalo bull were slaughtered to obtain the required materials, and he is now working on some project.

I noticed there are magma crabs in the volcano which are acting like artillery. Despite there being protective fences around the volcano, dwarves are being bombarded from above. There must be some way to utilize these magma crabs in a weapon.

Once again, I had to reform the job assignments of the carpenters and settled upon restricting the use of the carpenter's shops.

The second outpost liason left, and we've been elevated to a county. I wonder what happens with the multiple import and export agreements?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:02:45 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, I'm the one that dug the 'road' to the caverns, and I intended to pave over that last section, but since most of it is dug through solid stone, it shouldn't need to be paved to prevent growth.

Also: Dwarf Fortress, where radioactivity is the least of our worries.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal Entry by CaptainArchmage, 21st Sanstone, 1089

AnimaRytak has finished his artefact. It is Siknung ûthir, a granite floodgate! That translates to "The Dwelling of Searing" to those humans out there. It is very appropriate given current projects.

In other news, I am working on a method for getting rid of the siege for good which doesn't involve a preliminary test of the !!Shroud of Armok!!.

26th Sandstone, 1089

Somehow, one of the conscripts managed to get washed down the waterfall to the dining hall. I'd better watch out where I station these people! On that note I'm taking their squad off-duty.

Level two of the golden pyramid is under construction. The Shroud of Armok barrel is nearly complete, all I have to do now is find a way to power the thing and put switches on the floodgates.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:42:12 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Official Fortress Journal by CaptainArchmage, 3rd Timber 1089, Late Autumn

The trees are starting to lose their leaves as we move towards winter. We may not be able to finish the siege off before the caravan is due, but we may be able to do a good deal of damage.

Note: I should be able to finish Winter tomorrow time. New Townbrush is getting the levers for the magma systems.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:12:09 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trying to finish this ASAP so there may be fewer images (I'll try to compile what I have at the end). I'd give completion time for this some 3-4 hours or so from now. Maybe more, maybe less.

Official Fortress Journal by CaptainArchmage, 11th Moonstone 1089

I executed my plan with the trapped hallway. We lost one granite door but the trolls and other sieging goblins took heavy losses, with another spearmaster dodging our bolts into the magma moat, and a troll dropping in while the bridge was being retracted. I noticed the weapon traps jammed up, and I think we should change the contents.

We carried out some cleanup outside, including the recovery of the gold statues, and I then called the dwarves inside to begin the rennovation of the entrance. The human caravan finally finished packing up and left over the surface, with the diplomat leaving through the caverns. Again. We did not clear the siege out in the for the dwarven caravan, but that means we can properly finish up the entrance. We will need to move the guard towers to do this.

The second level of the golden pyramid has been completed. Under dwarven regulations, walls, floors, ramps, and tracks are reinforced against temperature so while normal golden furniture and workshops would melt under lava, the pyramid will not. The door to the pyramid is made out of Orthoclase, which is certified as magma-safe.

The excavation of New Townbrush is complete, except for the Weaver's guildhouse, which I want to relocate. I have connected the floodgates in the magma distribution network to a control center there, and I expect that we should have a manually-operated network finished by the end of the year.

Fortress Log continuation, 17th Moonstone, 1089

AnimaRytak dismantled the bridge at the entrance, and our mechanics removed the old lever. The gold statues were dumped in the to-volcano room, but I plan to have everything useful recovered from there. I'll also have to sort our burial arrangements since we have an issue with dwarves in the undead siege being confused with our citizens, which will require filling out a lot of paperwork.

I want the new bridge over the lava moat to be made out of a proper material such as steel, which is laval-safe. However, there are not enough steel bars to do this yet. The guard towers are also being deconstructed.

Now there is a problem with the entrance. The road isn't actually symmetrical with the entrance, so rather than being able to have some large, grand towers we have to do a fork in the road. Changing the arrangements would mean realigning the foundations I made just after the zombie siege, but that is not much work.

28th Moonstone 1089, Early Winter

A giant cave spider and a giant cave swallow were spotted in the deep road exit, but I sealed the passage off before they got into the fort.

The new drain for Reactor Beta has been finished, and testing will begin now.

Moltenchannels Migration Record, 1st Opal 1089

We have received seven (7) migrants.
-Zefon Cogudesh, Former Outpost Liason (main skill trapping)
-èrith Ishlumcilob, Hunter (Polymath, has a lot of engineering skills)
-Amost Astkutam, Tanner
-Rigòth Gebrimtar, Milker (married to Amost Astkutam)
-Alåth Kadolbabin, Trader
-Obok Fikodtoêm, Trader
-Erush Tathurkilrud, Herbalist

Official Fortress Log by CaptainArchmage, 6th Opal 1089
I have settled the group of seven migrants in the outpost of New Townbrush in the depths, and I have settled the entirety of The Decent Letters down there as well. The population of New Townbrush is now 23 dwarves, with all rooms full. The quarters should be "Decent Quarters" when occupied, though I haven't yet added the cabinets and chests and satues to all rooms as I want to. There is a shortage of workshop space down there too, and we will need a place to store food. With the miners no longer occupied, I can schedule those expansions.

Reactor Beta failed, once again. I'm not sure whether it is to do with the design or something else.

Note: I have given some of the migrants a profession or title. In the case of the former outpost liason, I have just given him that title.

Nearly there, I am onto Obsidian now.

Official Fortress Log by CaptainArchmage, Obsidian 1089

We're approaching the end of the year. While Reactor Beta continues to have functionality problems, I am installing a branch of power to Lava Pumpstack 1 from the main distribution network. With any luck we will be able to saturate the lava pumpstack with molten rock, but there will be insufficient power to run both the lava pumpstack and the water pumpstack at the same time. To finish off my year, I am designating a plumbing network for water.

One of the kids got a mood. I had to slaughter another ram to produce the bones, which is kind of concerning. How do we have a shortage of bones around here?!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:36:32 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like another turn, perhaps down there at 14, unless someone wants to go ahead of me. I enjoyed this more than the last community fort I played.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Captain gets the Guiness to the most turn updates. I've given up on linking to every individual post. ;D

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Captain gets the Guiness to the most turn updates. I've given up on linking to every individual post. ;D

I'm also done now. Pretty much. There was a fight in the mid-cavern layer that destroyed one door and left another mangled. Warranty void in case of forgotten beast attack. One marksdwarf has a broken leg but nothing else.

The power distribution network is nearly done. I may just "oversee" its completion. There's a power switch for the lava pumpstack and there's intended to be one for the power branch. The whole power branch will need to be shut down to power the water pumpstack though.

OK I'm at Granite 1st now. I'm going to write up and post. Someone else will have to finish the pumpstack relay now (in game time), there are about three axels that need to be built and this is just managing the dwarves to move the stone off the locations.

End of Year Report by CaptainArchmage, 1st Granite 1090

The year is at an end! A few days ago, we had an attack by the forgotten beast Figul, who broke down one door and destroyed another in the middle cavern layer, but was shot down after injuring one of the fortress guard. I have run a few axels to distribute power to Lava Pumpstack 1, which will need to be finished. The reactor we have can only power the distribution network and lava pumpstack, or the water pumpstack, but not both. From now on I will be retiring to the role of Champion in the Metropolis of Moltenchannels.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7491
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:48:54 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Something really, really bad is going to happen.

really soon.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something really, really bad is going to happen.

really soon.

Come on, I'm not up for another couple of turns yet!

Although I'd have to agree. Lava-device is almost operational, the population's over 150 and we even have an axedwarf (only one?)....things cannot last.

As a BTW: if Urist McKiwi II gets eaten by a crundle or something, don't redorf just yet. I've got a cunning plan......

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PSA. The folder inside the save zip is named 1089, but it's year 1090.

One of our prisoner vampires is berserking, and the other one is haunted by a ghostly trader.  :o

Can some charitable soul give Udib proper quarters (tip: check R to see his current ones)? Preferably somewhere he can wall himself from all the fortress' madness. Edit: Also new clothes, he's wearing rags. D:

Captain forgot to mention our last artifact: Clinchyear the Defective Foot, a tower-cap cup. It has pictures of humans fighting elves and of a goblin snatcher dyieing in 1085.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:50:13 am by Wastedlabor »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Current aerial view:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 100