Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386278 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The bane of pancreas (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #495 on: April 24, 2013, 06:18:04 am »

Wastedlabor<--Actually, I misread it. It's actually a ribbonworm. With wings. And poison spittle.

Diary of Urist McKiwi II, Bombardier

1st Opal (Evening)

That planter is one of the off-duty hammerdwarves. He's got a silver warhammer with him....and he's armored. One of the archers held him at bay by smashing him with his crossbow repeatedly. When the swordsdwarves finally arrived, one of the recruits stabbed him in the head and killed him. That crisis is over.

The beast is roaring away in the cavern.....people are afraid. We don't know if it'll get in yet....I dare not allow the soldiers to rest. I'm ordering the smiths to produce some steel bolts.

4th Opal

While I'm not going to tell the soldiers to stand down, it appears that the beast has been driven mad by our scent wafting down the waterfall. It keeps trying to enter the fortress, only to be pushed back by the flow of water. I fear the day that the waterfall is stopped..... unless we find a way to kill that monstrosity first. Still, that's not my concern. The tome of the necromancer was most interesting. It seems my initial plan will not work: An individual ghoul will not be able to carry out the complex tasks that would be required to give me time to escape. However, I believe that if I dismantle the zombie and reanimate the individual pieces before sewing them back together.....I might be able to give them orders that would approximate the functions I require. It's all a bit of a gamble, especially since I'm no surgeon, and if this doesn't work I'll need to find some other method to make my decoy.... still. I have but barely glimpsed the wonders of this tome. Once I'm out of this hellhole I'll have the money and skills to go anywhere I want....and the skills to raise a zombie army. That'll look excellent on a job application.

Now I just need to work out how to leave the fortress unseen....there's a small pond interrupting the moat in the southwest corner. I'd planned to deal with it, but the other two moat-extensions took so long I could never work on the other breaches to the moat. If I use a rope....maybe tie it off on one of the ballistae...I can certainly lower myself down. But can I take all my kit as well? Might have to......

....wait, I'm missing the obvious here, aren't I? We have catapult batteries......
Maybe getting my retirement funds out of here is a lot easier than it seemed earlier. All I need to do is pack everything except the wheelbarrow and my backpack in some big metal pots or something with padding for the landing....I'll say I'm testing a new ammunition type. I'm a bombardier, no one's going to question that.....

7th Opal.

I've been 'Testing the new ammunition' in the evenings. No one's caught on yet.....From what I can see from the unfinished towers, they're partly burying themselves in the ground. Since I know where they are....they should be perfectly safe when I go to collect them. I'll just need a shovel.

The military continues to complain about being on duty for so long. Screw 'em. There's a giant poison worm with bloody WINGS down there, and they're complaining about extended duty.

MAYBE THEY'RE ON DUTY BECAUSE WE HAVE A BLOODY WORM WITH WINGS CRAWLING UP THE DRAIN!!!

Idiots. When I get out of here I'm bribing another necromancer to come back and torch the place. That arse of a priest, that spoiled brat of a Count.....ALL OF THEM.

Still. The necromancy is going well. I've finished dismantling the body I'll be using for the decoy, with the aid of "Cutey Alathkatthir's Illustrated Guide to Surgery for Beginners". Frankly I'm disturbed that such a book even exists, but it has proven very useful. The pancreas is missing. Of. Bloody. Course. Still, that's not the important part....I really only need the vocal cords, lungs and limbs to be reanimated separately. I can pack the rest of the body with coloured dye in case someone stabs it. Gotta keep up appearances when I'm killed in my sleep by some lackey of that bastard Wastedlabour.

8th Opal

That damned worm will simply not die. At all. It doesn't even seem to require air.....and it's getting smarter. It no longer tries dashing up the drain (in so far as a worm can dash). It's taking it slow, and securing itself against the wall as it goes along. It's past the point I'd set as the evacuation point. This is not good. I'm activating all squads. I hope this thing fights as badly as it thinks, because if it's actually competent......

9th Opal

It is nearly at the dining hall. Crawling up inch by inch. The soldiers are tired, hungry and thirsty.....and afraid. I'm throwing everything at this thing. I just hope it works.

10th Opal

It's here. The thing fires globs of frozen spit at our troops. They're fighting back, and fighting hard. They'll be rewarded well for this.....if they survive. One of our swordsdwarves is knocked down by the beast, but the other soldiers have slashed its body open. One of the wrestlers actually bit the damned thing.

The marksdwarves have taken one of the damned things wings clean off. Kind of impressive actually, the bolt must have glanced off something and hit the wing sideways. The beast lets out a scream of rage and pummels the soldiers.

11th Opal

The battle continues. One of our former overseers is wielding that old bone spear to good effect....although frankly him biting the damned thing seems more effective.

The beast is dead, finally. We don't know who finally struck it down....but one thing's for sure...

I AM OUT OF HERE AS SOON AS BLOODY POSSIBLE. These military guys are insane! They're complaining constantly now! I've given them all leave. Frankly they deserve it. But I am SICK OF THEIR BLOODY COMPLAINING.

Ah well. The fortress is safe for now. That cavern area is a deathtrap though. Were I staying here, I'd seal the whole damned lot. But I'm not! I've got the first few parts of the decoy up and running. Giving the commands that will make the assembled decoy mimic a dwarven body is going to take some time, so I won't have this thing running just yet....but I think this will actually work. My caches are ready for me to collect, and I've scouted out the pond in the moat. I should be fine if a jump in, as long as I'm not wearing armor. When I leave, I'll lower a set down next to it so I can put it on later.

14th Opal

Apparently peafowl blood is running down the waterfall. I honestly don't know why, and frankly I don't care at this point.

Wastedlabor tried to give me one of his stupid lectures today. Slammed my door in his face. Wish I'd done that earlier...it feels damned good.

16th Opal

While I'm here, I'll at least try improving the lives of the people here who aren't military. Or priests. Or restaurant owners. The cloth and leather workshops have been going full tilt, and some results are forthcoming....some people are actually getting clothes to wear now. I've also given one of the only decent guys in the military, a farmer who's pretty handy with a sword, access to the second adamantine breastplate we've made.

20th Opal

Huh. We have a door in the outer wall, opening out into the magma moat. I'd never even noticed that before. Guess I'll have it removed and patched....someone might get hurt. Hahahaha.

The tome interests me more and more by the day...it's almost hard to tear my eyes away. One part of it seems to be written in blood. I can't read the language...but there's certainly some odd pictures. Why would a necromancer be interested in ducks?

22nd Opal

I've ordered more traps placed around the place. I may be getting out of here before too long, but these poor bastards could sure use some extra firepower when things inevitably come crashing down around them. Those copper buzzsaws are all gone now......

24th Opal

Another day, another bloody monster. This one's humanoid....and made of green zircon. Meaning it's going be damned near impossible to kill this thing without smashing bits off it. And it's giving off fumes as well. Excellent! Just when I thought I'd survived long enough to make it out of this hellhole! It's not heading for the fortress just yet though, so we should be fine. Since we're down a couple of dwarves after the last attack, we could do with a break from attack.

Had a meeting with Udib. He's noticed the missing tome. Wants me to order a search for it. Fine. Everywhere outside my quarters will be searched. Heh heh heh. I can see why he's concerned, I honestly can. And I'll be happy to return that book......once I've finished the decoy. It's almost ready now....soon I'll just need to clean it up and start teaching it commands.

------------------
I may have gone slightly overboard with my means of getting McKiwi II out of Moltenchannels. But what were you expecting? Something sensible?
That said, the interview with the next overseer should go well.

"So I was wondering if you had any maps of the fortress I could-"
"GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH"
"Ok then. So this giant monster in the caverns. Is there anything I should-?"
"GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH"
"And the morale in our military seems to be-"
"GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

I'm very sorry indeed, but I'm going to have to leave the fort overnight and finish it in the morning.It's past 11PM and I'm pretty tired.....and what with the FB and low FPS, this month has taken a lot longer than I had anticipated. I'm also going to need to take the next month slowly towards the end so I don't miss the end of the year (It's not announcing seasons).

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 24, 2013, 05:21:17 pm »

Wastedlabor<--Actually, I misread it. It's actually a ribbonworm. With wings. And poison spittle.

I was having trouble imagining a moving featherworm. Like, it would pop out of the drain and tickle dwarf butts or something. A ribbonworm just makes it worse.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 24, 2013, 05:37:58 pm »

I was having trouble imagining a moving featherworm. Like, it would pop out of the drain and tickle dwarf butts or something. A ribbonworm just makes it worse.

That's quite a painful mental image.

If you want to make good metal bolts, use copper. Its dense and does a lot of damage. Steel is important to save for other things.

Is my dwarf still alive?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Now you will know why you fear the loo (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #498 on: April 24, 2013, 06:22:30 pm »

Archmage<--You were killed by a GCS, I'm redorfing you now. Edit: Done! You're a weaponsmith.

Diary of Urist McKiwi II, Bombardier

2nd Obsidian

It is ready. In 3 days, I will escape from the fortress under the cover of darkness.....the decoy will take my place.....and all will be well. Someone else can deal with the insane priest and the stupid military and the stupid, stupid count. I'll have a full set of adamantine armor and wheelbarrow full of loot and supplies to take with me to start my new life...where ever it may be.

In the meantime, I've ordered the miners to dig a new graveyard and do some exploratory mining. The burial space is sorely needed....one more reason for me to get the hell out of here while I can.

3rd Obsidian

Fired some food and drink over the wall in the evening.

5th Obsidian

Tonight I get out of here. Farewell, Moltenchannels! I've stuffed the necromancers tome into an old production record and installed the decoy in my chambers.

8th Obsidian

Well, it worked. I'm out of the fort. Didn't manage to retrieve all the adamantine I'd fired over the wall, but I've got most of it and the rest has sunk deep enough into the ground that it will never be found. I stumbled across somegoblins the other day. Told him where the fort was in exchange for them letting me go about my way. Seemed a nice bunch of chaps. Told me about a city some way away where I might be able to sell my goods.

Wonder what's going on back at Moltenchannels now? I bet that decoy has them all flummoxed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diary of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf

7th Obsidian

Something is gravely wrong with our overseer. For the last few days she's been a shadow of her former self.....unable to even speak! I fear foul sorcery......

8th Obisidian

Or it could be that she decided to abandon us to die and left a crudely-disguised zombie in her place so we wouldn't notice. We probably should have worked that out a bit earlier, to be honest. Still, she appears to have taught it siege engineering so I guess we'll be keeping it for now....not that anyone's able to decide that because no one is in charge here. Poor Udib Wastedlabor is filing orders left behind, and McDonald is preparing to meet the royals (He thinks we've given them enough that they may turn up at any time. No one has the bravery to tell him the caravan with our offerings hasn't actually left the fortress yet).....but we're leaderless now. I'm not really the sort to stand up and take control.

Apparently I've inherited a title from the last overseer as a result of her leaving her post, which is awfully nice. Even if she wasn't a very nice person, "McKiwi" has a decent ring to it that works well for a dashing woman such as myself. Very dashing.

10th Obsidian

One of the engravers has been taken over by a fey. Guess he's out of the running for the elections. Udib's been getting the little boxes and papers ready and all that. Bit of a waste of time, if you ask me....these things are probably rigged years ahead of the vote. Still, we need some leadership around here. I'm a farmer and a swordsdwarf, and a damned good one at that. Heroic too. And dashing. But I need people to tell me what to do. I've taken it upon myself to ensure that the last works on the schedule are completed before the elections.

11th Obsidian

After skipping around the fortress like a madman for a full day, e's claimed a workshop right on the surface. Jolly good. I don't think he'll be making us a nice sword or anything like that, but we could use a nice statue to make the place look nice.

We could really use a new dining room as well.....The old one's covered in blood and spittle and is far too small for everyone. Not to mention that's how that worm thing got in to cause havok before yours truly and her friends put an end to that. That was not a fun fight. But it was dashing in the extreme. Guess the new overseer will have to look into that. I'll give 'em a poke when they're elected. Us soldiers like a dwarf who cares for us, especially when we've been on active duty for most of a year.

12th Obsidian

Some children are ripping down walls so the order to seal the staircase can be finished. About time too.....some dwarves panicked at the sight of a crundle today and barred the doors into the cavern. If we knew where it was we'd arm up and take it out.....but no one's telling us! ARRRGH. How is one supposed to be dashing when there's no one to give orders?

17th Obsidian

The burial grounds are more than half-finished now. Someone suggested a "Community mural project" in the hallway outside it to take our minds off recent events. We've really cleaned the place up, and we've got some nice engravings turning up. Looks a little eclectic, but it's making people happy and that's what's important.

18th Obsidian

An ambush has come, just as we planned to let the caravan out through our walls. The marksdwarves ran off to shoot at one squad while we suited up. Guess I'll have to cut this short in case the commander puts us out there.

20th Obsidian

The bastards are after a turkey. They must have run out of food. We're all stationed at the gate, waiting for the order to move. They've got a squad of lashers and one of speardwarves. I don't think our armor is good enough for this.....still, I am a dashing swordsdwarf. If the order comes, then so be it.

21st

I can hear the count screaming from all the way out here. Something about needing a tin table in his dining room. Guess that's why the old overseer made his room in the shape of someone flipping him a middle finger......McDonald's a nice chap most of the time, but when he gets worked up like this he's just crazy.

22nd

Wait, is that SMOKE? What the hell is going on?!!

*ahem* Dashing......dashing....

There appears to be a fire somewhere outside the fortress. I shall investigate and report to my colleagues.

23rd Obsidian

Something sparked a fire across the volcano. We don't know what, but I guess it'll flush out any more squads that are hiding out there. I also guess it means we're not getting ordered out there just yet. Time to go have a drink. Dashingly, of course. The marksdwarves are staying put, because they don't have to walk through fire to shoot at things. Fine by me!

I walked past that engraver in his workshop today. Whatever he's making, it's going to be interesting....he's got EVERYTHING there....copper and gold nuggets, leather, cloth, wood, emeralds, glass...even one of the adamantine wafers the overseer had the smiths making (heh. She'd be apoplectic if she saw that...).

27th Obsidian

The election is underway! It's rigged, sure as hell, but in a few days we'll have an overseer again. And I'll be able to be properly dashing and such again!

Meanwhile, the landscape outside is a mix of dead corpses, dead undead corpses, ashes, goblins and fire. And bubble-bulb. I like bubble-bulb.

Unfortunately if this fire keeps spreading like it has been the whole place will burn up. That should take care of the ambush (and give those smug marksdwarves something less to brag about), but the landscape will look even more desolate than usual for a time.

28th Obsidian

The election continues. That engraver has finished his work. All those materials for a small copper ring.....it is fantastically pretty, though. Must be worth a pretty penny too. Wonder if I can get him to make me something. I'll save up some loot from the next few battles I fight. A dashing swordsdwarf needs to look the part, you know.

I think I'll take a break now....have a nice rest, come back in a few days and see who's ordering us around. My vote's in, but I don't think it'll really count for anything. I'm too dashing for democracy anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And so it ends for Urist McKiwi II, with a ladder in the night and a wheelbarrow full of stolen adamantine. McKiwi III is the best swordsdwarf we have (not that this says much), and has a candy sword and (hopefully) breastplate. And is very, very dashing. Also: Dashing.

This has been a pretty successful turn from my perspective. I've mined my first adamantine, learned how to use the military, stabilised the fort *twice* when it was looking like morale was plummeting, and built a really nice amulet. So I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.* :)

*On fire, covered in blood and with horrifically inefficient management.

I'm uploading the save and will edit the post with it when it's done.

Edit: Here's the save, and here's some pictures:

Important things for the next overseer:

1. Some of the "Seal the caverns!" projects got stopped by stray socks and bins and the like. You NEED to seal the cavern compound and stairs next to the dining room. Also, stop people wandering out into the caverns to reload cage traps next to a pack of crundles. I've forbidden the traps for now and locked some doors.
2. Likewise, our dining room is too small, covered in blood, and open to the caverns via the waterfall drain. The giant worm thing got in that way and we have been really damned lucky that none of these FBs have had deadly dust or something else that's actually dangerous.
3. The military really needs an overhaul. I've expanded it massively, but they've taken quite a lot of casualties and need more training, more dwarves and more equipment if they're to hold off the FB/Goblin/Kobold armada. We had 3 new FBs this year, and only one of them decided not to break in and kill people.
4. You''ll need to let the dwarven caravan out some time, but wait until AFTER the fire has killed the goblins and burnt itself out. They're carrying the offering that'll make us the capital (I think). We really need them safely on the road and out of the fort, but we can't afford to burn them to death by sending them out early.
5. Don't ask me how the fire started, I honestly don't know. I like to think McKiwi II went back and tried to torch the place after stowing her stolen goods somewhere safe.
6. The graveyard isn't quite finished, and you may wish to complete it given our average life expectancy in the military.
7. McDonald wants a tin table. His dining room is right next the adamantine mines and looks (very very roughly) like the room is flipping him the bird. He was being very annoying earlier.
8. It is vitally important that you
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:28:36 am by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 25, 2013, 06:02:14 am »

Awesome turn.

Anon Moltenchannels dwarf: "Oh look, the reanimated zombie goblin army is being burnt by a forest fire, again *rolls eyes and chews forgotten beast meat jerky*"

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:22 am »

We have lots of animals waiting to be tamed. :o

And lots of forbidden sand bags.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 25, 2013, 10:00:10 am »

And lots of forbidden sand bags.

Yeah... That's probably my bad. Left over from the mass bedroom designation
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 25, 2013, 10:06:19 am »

Eh wha? It's my turn? Aw crap!
I'll get to it tonight or tomorrow!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 25, 2013, 03:50:36 pm »

The other thing I should mention is that despite my best efforts, we're still quite short on clothes. We have a metric buttload of leather and cloth though, and I made a bunch of leathworks...so making enough shouldn't be an issue. Expect a lot of job cancellations due to "ERMAGOD AN OLD SOCK IN MY WAY!" whenever you build things though.

Actually, gathering up those tattered rags the dwarves have been abandoning and having them thrown into the volcano would do wonders for FPS. (I hope. It's slowed down over the course of the year)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:52:17 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The burnination of trees (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #504 on: April 25, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »

I'd actually been selling those instead, using them as trade goods when the merchants arrive. Gets them picked up and out of the way. Of course this requires the merchants getting in alive.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 25, 2013, 08:09:23 pm »

I'd actually been selling those instead, using them as trade goods when the merchants arrive. Gets them picked up and out of the way. Of course this requires the merchants getting in alive.

Oh, that's not so hard at the moment, just throw untrained soldiers at the problem until the marksdwarves turn up to kill everyone....that's how I dealt with the kobolds, and the military has grown since then. We've got 3 melee squads, 1 squad of marksdwarves (fewer trained ones than we had previously thanks to deaths [I think we lost our elite guy], but I filled the vacancies), and about half a squad of idiots with crossbows. We had a full squad of idiots, but then the giant ribbonworm happened.

The current problem is getting them out past the forest fire and angry goblins. Soon to be angry burning goblins if we're lucky.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 26, 2013, 08:03:38 am »

I saw one High Master xbowdarf with a badass name when I loaded the save. It's something.  :-\

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 28, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »

Does the Dwarf still Fortress?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 29, 2013, 03:56:42 am »

Does the Dwarf still Fortress?

Good question. it's been 4 days...technically that's past the endtime for skipping but he did give a possible start time....

Ingame, of course.......no. Mostly they're on break/complaining about the draft/rushing around to Count McDonald's insane demands/trying to avoid having McDonald punch them in the face or send them to prison for not rushing around enough/painting pictures on the walls with all the blood in the hospital and dining room.

McDonald is certainly looking like an excellant candidate for the next embodiment of Urist McDuck. They'll get along pretty well I think. Alternatively McDuck will either beat him to a bloody pulp or McDonald will triumph by giving McDuck a fatal heart attack after a few free meals at his latest McUrists branch. While punching him in the face because he didn't make him a platinum teaspoon or something.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 29, 2013, 03:31:56 pm »

Ok, CognitiveDissonance moved one turn down by request. Triaxx2's turn now.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 100