Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383881 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The burnination of trees (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #510 on: April 30, 2013, 06:33:15 am »

Then I shall download the save, and begin battling the evil of discarded socks, and other such annoyances.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:08 am »

Rattle. Rattle. That's the sound of my return. The rattling of my chains, the rattling of the cart. The rattle of the mail armor of the guards. The noise is so ominous that the goblins besieging Moltenchannels stand aside as we pass. I pay them no more mind than anything else. I have returned. And now I have plans. They decried my pit. My great machine and built their small things. Now I shall do as I see fit.

Trees have grown on the island, above the ground and below it. My first words are thus: Bring down the trees.

I have been returned in chains to serve my fortress, because I alone have caused it to prosper. They shall know the power of me. I shall serve and leave, to return only when I am required. Some laze about. Soon the call of my might shall see them whipped into motion. Whether an actual whip can be found or not. The goblins outside scream and die as the marksdwarves fill them with bolts. Others evade that to be slaughtered by a great fire. The cleansing has begun already.

My first action is actually to tap into the power reactor for the magma lifting system. I'll use that to power the primary water stack and pump into the reactor the main power. To facilitate this, and to prevent drowning of the fortress, I've had reactor Alpha's Power connection shut down, but have not drained the reactor. With the reactor shut down, I'll open the flood gates to the primary reactor for the water lift, then use the drain to empty the lift.

While that plan is being enacted, I've also set up the mine cart to dump again. Someone had reversed the flow, causing it to give things to the stockpile, instead of taking from it.

Things go well until the 3rd of Felsite. The king arrives, towing his entourage. It seems we are now the mountain home. Fantastic.

Umm... our queen is a Vampire. Who wants a bunch of Royal stuff. Lovely.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 30, 2013, 06:03:47 pm »

Whether an actual whip can be found or not.
The goblins had some you could "borrow".

Someone had reversed the flow, causing it to give things to the stockpile, instead of taking from it.

So THAT'S why all the body parts were lying around rotting...

Things go well until the 3rd of Felsite. The king arrives, towing his entourage. It seems we are now the mountain home. Fantastic.

Umm... our queen is a Vampire. Who wants a bunch of Royal stuff. Lovely.

You're welcome. I suggest putting her down by Urist McZombie's pad by the magma sea, in the marble layer and with a convenient way to kill her if necessary a glorious view of the sea itself.

Edit: Geeze I need to proof-read my posts before clicking the button...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:06:25 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 30, 2013, 06:08:37 pm »

Someone had reversed the flow, causing it to give things to the stockpile, instead of taking from it.

So THAT'S why all the body parts were lying around rotting...

Urist McJones cancels Store item in stockpile: Interrupted by avalanche of rotting corpses.

Edit: What happened to the forest fire and the goblins?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:10:18 pm by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The royal bloodsucker has arrived! (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #514 on: April 30, 2013, 06:16:13 pm »

The fire burned all the way around the fortress and incinerated the goblins. Even cooked off the last couple lingering undead. All that are left are corpses, and a few ghosts I need to engrave slabs for.

Also, it seems that the fire burns the road as well. Doesn't damage it, but burns along it as well.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 30, 2013, 06:53:56 pm »

Also, it seems that the fire burns the road as well. Doesn't damage it, but burns along it as well.
Could this knowledge be weaponised? Could we build an interlocking grid of roads across the land, to be lit from the volcano at a pull of a lever?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 30, 2013, 09:24:49 pm »

Could this knowledge be weaponised? Could we build an interlocking grid of roads across the land, to be lit from the volcano at a pull of a lever?

If we buy a whole bunch of charcoal/lignite/graphite, we could try making a firewall down in the caverns to secure them from the FBs/crundles/giant swallows. The trick would be in stopping random haulers and trap reloaders from incinerating themselves.

Edit: It also won't work against the non-burnable FBs. And the ones that are made of lignite/coke/charcoal would just become terrifying.
Edit2: i just want to say that I'm really proud to be part of possibly the only fortress that spontaneously combusts to ward off attackers. Even though we don't know how or why this happens, we've done a great job with that.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:33:08 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 02, 2013, 02:00:03 pm »

Stupid ambushes, stupid levers.

---

So to solve her Royal Highness' problem, I have summarily ejected a farmer from the rooms referred to by the cartographers as the Glorious Testes Suite, and given it to the queen. They aren't quite up to her standards, but I've assured her that they will be brought to spec as fast as dwarvenly possible. I'm doing this by having the magma glass furnaces fired up to produce large numbers of green glass statues. I've had our head glass maker removed from all other duties to produce the chests, and weapon racks her highness wants.

Some of the others have questioned her vampiric condition, but I've assured them we have other things to worry about. I am more right than I know.

It's not long before word reaches me of two horrible events. First the elves have sent a diplomat. He's ticked off at the slaughter of trees. I direct him to the queen. I hope she eats him. Meanwhile two ambushes pop up. One outside the gate. I order one of the military squads to give them a good axing. While they're doing that, another squad moves to shoot across the moat. I also order the drawbridge raised.

Somewhere, this does not happen, so we end up fighting inside the courtyard. As I'm directing more squads into the fight, the elven diplomat arrives informing me of merchants sighted on the horizon. I can see them, they're being attacked by one of the ambush squads. Finally, elves doing something useful. Then he demands we limited chopping down of trees to one hundred. My answer?

Sod off.

Yeah, that won't come back to bite us.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 02, 2013, 05:36:50 pm »

Any named injuries/deaths?

Udib: Keep that wine mug away. No! Not the greasy fingers, you animal! I'm trying to update the overseer on the stockpiled wood records! Elves? 100 trees? Who cares about angry elves. If they come to siege, cage them and bring them to me. This fortress must pay more attention to their sacrifices to Armok! I barely get enough quality blood for my enchanted seals!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 02, 2013, 10:52:38 pm »

Urist McKiwi III cancels Kill Goblins: Too Dashing.

Yeah, I told the elves we wouldn't cut down more than about 130 trees basically so we could get them as less-lethal test subjects for any lava weapons. Although I was fairly sure we had quite a lot of wood in storage anyway. They didn't even send a caravan to bait the undead away last year, so trolling them into war is totally reasonable in my mind.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:55:33 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 03, 2013, 06:03:35 am »

No named deaths, and we eventually got the gate closed. Then we bum-rushed the last few gobbos.

Wait, 'Bp920091' has been found dead, though I can't seem to find his body. I didn't get a message until after we'd finished them off.

---

Well that was... exciting? We lost a few, killed quite a few of theirs, and saw some elves get whacked. After I chased the popcorn eaters away from the viewing platforms, we started tallying the dead. No one of any particular importance got it, though some people have said Bp920091 was quite important, I'm not seeing it. After all, he didn't listen to the burrow alarm, so he must not have been that important.

Her highness wants a chair. Okay, we can... Okay fine, THRONE. We'll make a THRONE. We shall bend the will of this entire fortress to the construction of the Queen's THRONE.

Sheesh. I'd already planned on it, so it's not a big deal, but I'm not going to tell her that. In less horrifyingly violent news, one of the dwarven children has withdrawn from society. This is infinitely worse than when it happens to an adult. Why? Because adult's have friends who only mention things once. I have every single dwarven child in the entire fortress coming in every five minutes to tell me that he's withdrawn from society.

I need something a little stiffer than this dwarven ale. Finally, the spring has ended. I have never been so happy to see summer.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 03, 2013, 07:15:28 am »

We have so many artifacts.  :o

(Don't forget to name Bp920091's heir as Bp920091 II.)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 03, 2013, 02:53:37 pm »

Sure. What am I supposed to be looking for in a replacement, or just someone not dead?

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 03, 2013, 04:37:40 pm »

Whatever you want, I think it's more interesting when people can discover what some previous overseer decided to pick for their incarnation.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 03, 2013, 09:18:59 pm »

Ah, sweet. I'll play some more in the morning. Perhaps I can coax a little more speed out of my computer.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 100