Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386126 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Volcano of Accidental Burials (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2013, 10:16:04 pm »

Since this is a succession game.... we basically have no control over what *anyone* does short of save-scumming their turn into oblivion, which is serious overkill and basically unwarranted unless they vanish or deliberately kill the fort in an un-epic way. And that's the best thing about this type of game. We can certainly make small rules and the like, but I don't think we should go overkill on rules (I'm fine either way, Urist McZombie has a really nice tomb).

Dwarf Computer is kinda OOC in the Ardentdikes series.

Yeah. If people are going to go for the dwarfputer they should probably try tying it into the whole "McDuck on the loose" thing, or some other reason that the residents would actually build such a thing. Athough hell, a thinking machine to contain McDuck, powered by forsaken children and chained prisoners? That'd make sense with minimal RPing. Udib's already bent space-time (twice), so building a machine to do it after his death is entirely suitable. Our end-state is tied to the story that we make here, and the narrative will very much depend on how things go. EG. Some people want a nice, stable and optimised fort. Personally I want massive brushes with disaster, pancreas spread on the walls, and for McDuck to exact his revenge on the race that sealed him outside of time and space. Or at least try to exact his revenge. Finishing with "they all lived happily ever after and the whole 'McDuck' plotline never went anywhere" doesn't feel as satisfying as a brutal fight to the death as the fortress burns/drowns/collapses into hell. Especially if it can happen multiple times.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 26, 2013, 02:47:11 am »

((Will update with proper write up, this is just a follow-along to give you guys an idea of what's happening))

This Fortress is a bit.... overwhelming. I'm getting my bearing, and I'm EXTREMELY thankful for CaptainArchmage's summary.
I will get this done! :D

You know sucks? Being in control of everything. That may sound like a nice past time, and the power is appealing, but not of this place! This place is insane!

I have gotten away with doing nothing just fine for the last while, when all of a sudden - a ghost of a dwarf, rattling some chains, walks up to me and tells me to run the damn place.

Magma pumps? Goblins? AAAAAAH I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I'M JUST A PEASANT ON A SICK LEAVE!

On my way to the office, I saw corpses lying around. I have been trying so hard to ignore that... I guess I no longer can.

Okay, okay, calm down. Let's go over the papers. First, the animals are a mess! Let's train those up.

Next, the military files. There is a literal MOUNTAIN of equipment requisition requests, and I had to dig through those. That was kind of fun, actually.

And food production. We need drink and food over here!

With that handled, it would seem that CaptainArchmage helpfully left me some notes. I'll see what I can do.

What date is it, again?

This is an administrative disaster. Half the dwarves have no idea what they are doing, so many rooms are mis-designated... I have been going about everything and fixing it. It takes longer than it sounds.

The current date, by the way, is 2nd of Granite. Only the second day! Ahhh so much to do, back to work.

I have designated a new memorial chamber. We have many ghosts, and the dead deserve proper rest.

Urist McDonald has, in not very polite terms, reminded me of his requests. Apparently, he DEMANDS a tin table, and some short swords to be made. Well, what the hell. It's not as if we have anything else to do, right?

There are crundles in the caverns! The horrors! I sent our military to take care of it, let's see what they are made of.

I have found the cause for all the fires. There are a few unruly imps inside the volcano, who apparently delight at setting the surface on fire. Speaking of which, I feel bad for those goblins. They are cowering in the inferno, trying to escape. Too late, stupid invaders!

Also, the greenhouse was never completed. I have ordered 96 green glass blocks, and hatches built over the entrance. We need to be more secure than this.

What's this business with the towers? o.O I think I have found the problem. It was built with green glass, but we have run out. It seems that the person who planned that simply gave up then.

Well, I will finish this construction. We cannot waste that space!

Things are just chugging along now. Found quite a few wrenches in the glass and metal smithing machines, and fixed those. Animals are getting trained, and the military is equipped. No ground-breaking achievements yet -- but everything is improving.

The remembrance room is getting full. We have no more ghosts haunting us -- Moltenchannel remembers.
But there are so many lost, so many to memorialize... one at a time, though. It will be done.

I heard today that a lone blacksmith came to visit our fortress, and stumbled into two speargoblins still sitting outside. Why do we have goblins in fortress proper? After some looking, I found the switch to operate the lava moat. Sally forth!

While the troops were gathering, the goblins found a child. Now they definitely must die.

Some axedwarf was unfortunate to receive a lucky spear hit from the goblin - that's his reward for charging in. The rest quickly cleaned up the area, and the goblin threat is now gone. Now the caravan can finally leave, and we can look after the incredibly mess that outside is.

There were apparently quite a few weapons remaining in the ashes where the goblins were. Did we have a fight there that I have not heard of? I don't know, but we will reclaim them - after all, it was us who crafted them.

Also, apparently we are out of iron. And have no natural sources of iron. What is this?! Why has nobody taken care of this before?!

Speaking of angry, elves are here. Better go say hi!

I'm afraid we had an unfortunate accident. Some miner, when ordered to dig a new shaft for the well, has decided to literally stand on top of the channel he was digging. He fell quite a long distance into the underwater pool, and there he lay wounded while Neca Pelesetholatho feasted on him. I ah... have to be elsewhere.

((No image, sorry. Got lost :())

Why the well? After some complaints, I examined the water in the surface hospital. It tasted AWFUL! The water beneath was ancient and stagnant... so I had to clear it.

Does this mean the new well will now be polluted with the dwarf's blood? Armok damned idiot miner!

An ambush! Curse them! A whole 6 crossbowgoblins. Gah, everyone, GET INSIDE! They must have followed those idiot elves. I knew the elves were up to no good!

More goblins joined the fray. One of our marksdwarves tried to take on a swordgoblin, and was cut apart. Who trained those? How does the defense of this fortress work? It seems entirely undefensible, especially against ranged invaders... I must study this further, or we will lose a lot more.

((Seriously, how do you defend this?!))
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:35:04 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 26, 2013, 06:48:21 am »

We usually let zombies or forest fires to take care of them invaders. :P I guess that's why the fortress militia grew kinda lazy.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 26, 2013, 03:33:44 pm »

We usually let zombies or forest fires to take care of them invaders. :P I guess that's why the fortress militia grew kinda lazy.

More "The fortress militia has never been trained". There's about 2 trained squads, the rest are rookies.

Look for the trained archer/marksdwarf squad, and put them up in McDonald's tower north of the fortress so they can snipe from cover. Get the dwarves to stay inside the fortress, preferably below ground. If necessary, use the other marksdwarves on top of something else. If the goblins are south or west of the fort, swap that around so the elite guys can actually shoot at them.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 26, 2013, 03:35:18 pm »

First of all, did you even close off the drawbridges? If so and the goblins are outside, the fortress is secure.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 26, 2013, 04:09:47 pm »

It's not so much that we ran out of glass blocks, but that I ran out of turn and then there weren't any blocks around the second time. The tower is supposed to be so we can drown the fortress and thus it needs to be higher than the tallest tower of the fortress.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 27, 2013, 09:48:35 am »

Ahh... yeah, should have checked their skills better. I TRUSTED YOU GUYS!  >:(

More "The fortress militia has never been trained". There's about 2 trained squads, the rest are rookies.

Look for the trained archer/marksdwarf squad, and put them up in McDonald's tower north of the fortress so they can snipe from cover. Get the dwarves to stay inside the fortress, preferably below ground. If necessary, use the other marksdwarves on top of something else. If the goblins are south or west of the fort, swap that around so the elite guys can actually shoot at them.

I'll have a look for that. I currently have lost all faith in the dwarves, but if the area is properly fortified I'll give it a shot (hah)

First of all, did you even close off the drawbridges? If so and the goblins are outside, the fortress is secure.

I only had one down, and yes I did. I even managed to get the elves in!

Well, it looks like I have a goal - increase the defenses of the fortress. As you guys know, the major animal stockpile is aboveground, and the only way to it used to be by going outside of the main wall. Luckily, I JUST finished building copper doors into that location.

Also did you know we have no local iron sources? I didn't. QQ.

At least we have tin for the stupid mandates.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 27, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »

It's nice to see my follies having repercussions throughout the years: the easily breachable magma moat, the stagnant well in the hospital... I still think the mass bedroom in the northwest tower was a sound policy and I spit upon the names of all overseers that expanded the fortress downwards instead of up.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:16 pm »

It's nice to see my follies having repercussions throughout the years: the bridged and secure easily breachable magma moat, the bloodystagnant well in the hospital... I still think the reorganized mass bedroom in the northwest tower was a sound policy and I spit upon the names of all overseers that expanded the fortress downwards instead of up.

FTFY :P I'm incredibly excited to play this now after work

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 27, 2013, 04:21:47 pm »

Well, it looks like I have a goal - increase the defenses of the fortress. As you guys know, the major animal stockpile is aboveground, and the only way to it used to be by going outside of the main wall. Luckily, I JUST finished building copper doors into that location.

Why are we using copper for doors, anyway? If you have tin or zinc you can make bronze or brass, which is far better.

Also, using metal for bins means they get transported around slowly.

Also did you know we have no local iron sources? I didn't. QQ.

At least we have tin for the stupid mandates.

I think as there were no local iron sources, some veins were modded into hematite (or were they?). And bam, we have tin for bronze. No excuses with the doors 8)
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 27, 2013, 04:26:02 pm »

Why are we using copper for doors, anyway? If you have tin or zinc you can make bronze or brass, which is far better.

I think as there were no local iron sources, some veins were modded into hematite (or were they?). And bam, we have tin for bronze. No excuses with the doors 8)

because someone made a dozen or four ≡Copper Doors≡. I may as well use them now...

Also, modded iron ore? Which one's that?!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 28, 2013, 02:13:34 am »

I took the time to explore and prepare the map before the start, there should be some iron ore. ;D
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 28, 2013, 10:03:07 am »

I took the time to explore and prepare the map before the start, there should be some iron ore. ;D

Well then! DIG YA LAZY BASTARDS!
Update tonight, sorry about delays. Personal crap.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 28, 2013, 12:03:03 pm »

If you want to fix the defences, you may want to connect the floor hatch in the magma tower to a lever. That way you can fill the magma weapon.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 28, 2013, 03:33:38 pm »

I also remember seeing some hematite veins.....somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 100