Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385639 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Volcano of Accidental Burials (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #615 on: June 02, 2013, 08:01:28 pm »

Pigs aren't in pastures because pigs don't graze.

That big reactor I put up needs a serious redesign. It doesn't produce nearly the power it should. I'm not sure where I mis-calculated it. I think it needs some more pumps, but I don't know where. I typically only use small reactors of two-five wheels.

Current project: Massive road. The objective is to link all parts of the fortress with a big road, so you could bring a big wagon caravan in from the surface and go pretty much anywhere you wanted, to any cavern layer, through the fortress. That's what a proper Mountainhome should have. Given the number of mining dwarves we have, and the number of other dwarves, the process is fairly rapid after you find a proper path through the whole place. This is a bit more difficult because I want the road system to be stupidity resistant - where possible, at least one full layer of undisturbed stone above all sections. With the plans as they are, I'm also going to expand the archery range into a proper barracks, so The Blockaded Arches will get decent rooms.

I've got a horseshoe reactor design to test (using the infiniflow or zero-point energy trick), but I don't know if I will get around to that. It may be better to build the reactors on the surface because then I know with reasonable certainty that they will work 100% of the time (this is the phenomena that causes streams and rivers to be infinitely-flowing.

We breached the third cavern layer with the larger road bend, but the place is inaccessible except to flying creatures. I've got some floor hatches there so we can block up the wall.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 02, 2013, 09:44:01 pm »

We breached the third cavern layer with the larger road bend, but the place is inaccessible except to flying creatures.

In the same way that our dining room was totally inaccessible except to frozen-poison-spit-lump spitting flying ribbonworms. Better to fortify it sooner rather than later.

(Also, is the old dining room (with the waterfall, next to caverns compound) still a deathtrap?)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 03, 2013, 12:57:50 am »

We breached the third cavern layer with the larger road bend, but the place is inaccessible except to flying creatures.

In the same way that our dining room was totally inaccessible except to frozen-poison-spit-lump spitting flying ribbonworms. Better to fortify it sooner rather than later.

(Also, is the old dining room (with the waterfall, next to caverns compound) still a deathtrap?)

Think of it as dinner and a show.

"Urist, lets go down and see if someone falls down the hole. The betting pool is up to 250 gold pieces, and ive got a couple people that i know are clumsy and i want to bet on"
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 03, 2013, 04:20:19 am »

Think of it as dinner and a show.

"Urist, lets go down and see if someone falls down the hole. The betting pool is up to 250 gold pieces, and ive got a couple people that i know are clumsy and i want to bet on"

I think we've had an axedwarf fall up the waterfall (forgot to put that in my writeup, but I had a "slammed into an obstacle" notification from the waterfall 2 Z-levels above the dining room during the ribbonworm battle)...but we've never had anything fall down it. Yet.

.....Which is kinda good, given the number of bizarre monstrosities on that level. And the whole "drowning" thing.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Weaponized Forest of Burning (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #619 on: June 03, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »

New update!

The Archwiseard's Log, 14th Granite 1093

Work has begun on a large-scale road to connect all levels of the fortress. So far it has been designated from the future entrance in the depths, to just above the upper caverns. It will be dug out in sections, starting from the depths. I have designated a proper barracks to incorporate the archery range.

A new bridge made from orthoclase blocks has been designated in the mid-caverns. I hope it gets finished before any more trouble happens down there.

I've observed no less than three cat and kitten corpses in the dining hall in the middle cavern layer. Just what happened down there?

The Archwiseard’s Log, 16th Granite 1093

With the fortifications in most of the main structures demolished, I’ve designated solid walls in their places.

Today, I also receive word that the Dwarves of the Crazed Picks (i.e. Moltenchannels) know a few facts about dingo training. I took a look at our dingo population: We have two wild dingos, two semi-wild dingos, and single trained dingo.

I also discovered we have two new forgotten beasts in the upper caverns: One is a huge beakless bunting, and the other is a one-eyed lobster. I’m wondering whether I should just seal those caverns off for now. I have ordered the masons to seal up the tomb of my last vessel, to ensure it does not get disturbed. We will then look to defending the main entrance. The danger is the creature with wings may fly into the underground dining room. It may be safer for me to block up the waterfall, too.

While checking out possible fortifications against the forgotten beasts, I discovered the one-eyed lobster is stuck in a particularly dense patch of fungiwoods and tower-caps, and must leave the immediate area of the fortress in order to get to us. Repeated analysis of forgotten beast behaviour indicates they will not leave the fortress area after arriving. However, the flying creature could still be a threat to us.

Later in the day, two goats grew up.

Next up: On 17th Granite 1093, Moltenchannels becomes the Mountainhome.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32:30 pm »

Archwiseard's Journal, 17th Granite 1093

We are now the Mountainhome! The vampire queen arrived, bringing her entourage with her. She was particularly impressed with the trap corridor still littered with goblin remains and covered in blood.

My official page has been excessively detailed with the help and signatures of various individuals present and not-so present at the time. There's a lot of writing, signatures, bad spelling, and a beer stain too. I've inserted a copy in here so future individuals can figure out what was going on at the time.

I've noticed we have two spare adamantine short swords in the stocks list, one is a masterwork but for some reason lying in the location I had previously divined, some helpful person also wrote down a reminder about that on my official page documenting the event. We're going to be arming Iden and her guard properly. That kills list of about 30,000 goblins can always go higher.

I'm going to put a full record of the royal caravan in when I have the chance.

There, now I need to deal with all these new soldiers and so on.
P.S.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 04, 2013, 01:50:54 am »

That room is where the worm crawled up through the drain during my turn. It's possible that the frozen spit/blood is syndrome-causing, which killed the cats. You may have a problem if any of our dwarves aren't wearing shoes. Even though it's over a year since the battle, it's worth making sure. Keep a close eye on that place.

(Also, unless it's been rectified, the drain for that room is still incredibly dangerous since any FB that can fly *and* doesn't need to breath air can get up it eventually. EDIT: And anything that gets up it that *can't* fly will sit down there sniping dwarves as they come to eat their delicious tallow biscuits.)
Edit2: Wait, wait wait. Thirty-nine THOUSAND kills?
Does she have combat skills? (Edit3: As opposed to being merely really thirsty after a hard days work).....and if she does can we get this lady in the military as a last resort tool for when a rampaging queen powered by the blood of innocents is just what we need to solve a problem?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:21:44 am by Urist McKiwi »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 04, 2013, 10:21:05 am »

How many kills..? o.O

Also, I had a tainted blood FB invasion of my own, and built a wall to (mostly) cut off the affected area. Look for it alongside the main staircase.

Just remembered I never wrote a proper entry. My bad, I'll update it sometime.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 04, 2013, 11:58:48 am »

That room is where the worm crawled up through the drain during my turn. It's possible that the frozen spit/blood is syndrome-causing, which killed the cats. You may have a problem if any of our dwarves aren't wearing shoes. Even though it's over a year since the battle, it's worth making sure. Keep a close eye on that place.

(Also, unless it's been rectified, the drain for that room is still incredibly dangerous since any FB that can fly *and* doesn't need to breath air can get up it eventually. EDIT: And anything that gets up it that *can't* fly will sit down there sniping dwarves as they come to eat their delicious tallow biscuits.)
Edit2: Wait, wait wait. Thirty-nine THOUSAND kills?
Does she have combat skills? (Edit3: As opposed to being merely really thirsty after a hard days work).....and if she does can we get this lady in the military as a last resort tool for when a rampaging queen powered by the blood of innocents is just what we need to solve a problem?

She is a "Competent Axedwarf". Over 30,000 of the listed kills are goblins.

18th Granite 1093

I have the full list of individuals in the royal caravan now.

Western Caravan:
Iden Fokidisteh "Glazequests", queen vampire (Queen Vampire)
Adil âbirvabôk "Romanceorbs", Spearmaster/Weaponsmith (Imperial Spearmaster)
Tobul Atzulkikrost "Gladestockades", Axe Lord/Animal Caretaker (Imperial Axe Lord)
Zulban Logemonshen "Paintchanted", Fighter/Peasant (Royal Fighter)
èzum Eseshudil "Spunlantern", Mace Lord/Peasant (Imperial Mace Lord)
Cerol Lenodlogem "Seedpaint", Tanner (Royal Partydwarf)
Likot Dasëlcog, Swordsmaster/Suturer (Imperial Swordmaster)
Kogan Kodorkogan, Fighter/Peasant (Royal Fighter)

Eastern Caravan:

Tekkud Åblelthibam "Busthushed", Animal Caretaker (Royal Dungeonmaster)
Alåth Zanegroder "Relicbaldness", Trader (Aristocrat)
Unib Cerolgasol "Lensbreath", Marksdwarf/Butcher (Royal Marksdwarf)
Iden Tulonmåmgoz "Roaddragons", Marksdwarf/Diagnoser (Royal Doctor)
Reg Zasitoddom "Knifecoister", Trader (Aristocrat)

I've registered the dwarves' titles in parenthesis.

For some reason Iden headed off to check out the dungeons. I don't know why. Assuming no further dwarves arrive, our population is now 176.

With the new arrivals and the complete lack of a Militia Commander, I am going to need to re-organize the military.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 04, 2013, 12:28:10 pm »

I've noticed some troubles re-naming the monarch. If I name her "Vampire Queen" or "Blood-Sucking Queen" I always get "vampire" added on afterwards, which makes a lot of titles sound ridiculous.

The Archwiseard's Journal, 21st Granite 1093

Everyone is inside now, so I sealed off the fortress from the outside. I'd like to test out the Shroud of Armok, but there are important item scattered around outside that I do not want to lose.

For some reason, the royal guard dropped their military gear on their way inside the fortress, so we had to clean it up before the fortress could be sealed off. I'm a little suspicious of these guys, as they claim to be "Legendary" but don't have a single kill to their names. We desperately need some quality control regulations made before falling standards royally screw us over.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 04, 2013, 01:06:35 pm »

Is that Royal Quack going to replace Cutey as our longstanding head doctor (assuming she's still alive)?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:33 pm »

Is that Royal Quack going to replace Cutey as our longstanding head doctor (assuming she's still alive)?

Cutey is still alive, and I may just leave the noble arrangements the way they are.

I'm making a new squad. The preliminary name is The Royal Fists, but I'd appreciate input on that. It will be lead by CaptainArchmage II (i.e. myself), since I can't make the king a leader of a squad, but I can put her into a squad. The rationale of making a weaponsmith or two the leader of a squad or a member of a squad (yes, we have two weaponsmiths in this squad) is they will learn about the effectiveness of their weapons.

Because a lot of military equipment is sub-par, I am going to melt down some of the items we have, starting with boots. We will then re-forge them to better quality. I think we should also halt smelting until we have melted down enough items.

Edit: Does "Armor Level" do anything? If not, it looks like chain leggings are as effective as greaves, and there isn't really any point in making greaves either.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:39:29 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 04, 2013, 02:02:24 pm »

- Title the queen "Royal Pain in the Vampire"
- Consider adding additional magma smelters. Currently, there are 2 - which is significantly less than glass smelters+kilns. There are also vere few dwarves with smelter operation enabled, or at least there were
- From what I know, armor level affects the ability of armor to deflect weapons. Higher = better, but you can achieve similar effect with stacking non-shaped armors

You probably already are, but look here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Armor#Encumbrance
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 04, 2013, 02:34:08 pm »

Alright, more freakish stuff just happened, read the report.

The Archwiseard's Journal, 2nd Slate 1093

Today, Sodel Gusilalis, the Captain of the Guard was found dead. I could not find anything wrong with his body, it did not appear to be drained of blood at all! He was found dead in the barracks on the surface. I'm a bit concerned we might have a freakish poison from a forgotten beast present in our fort. I will now pick a new Captain of the Guard.

The barracks near New Townbrush is half-way complete. I had a bunch of doors installed in the mason's guild, and the drawbridge in the mid-cavern layer is now connected up to a lever.

I changed the employment system somewhat, so our carpenters will now get to work making more barrels and training spears.

Also, my vessel just gave birth.

Yes, CaptainArchmage II gave birth...

If the vampire queen drank the blood of the captain of the guard, would have just given "found dead, completely drained of blood"? The message was just "Sodel Gusilalis has been found dead". I did not see what happened, there were no combat reports though and no kills were added to the queen's list.

Edit: There's a big of forgotten beast meat lying around. Could that have been responsible?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:36:23 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Queen of Blood - 39,686 Kills (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #629 on: June 04, 2013, 04:36:22 pm »

If his corpse isn't already looted and buried, check his inventory immediately.

If he's not wearing boots (since you mentioned melting them down), we probably have a fatal extract on the floor somewhere and it's time to plan a quarantine/cleanup.

Edit: Also possibly some new soldiers and a team of medics to see if the current ones can be saved.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:39:25 pm by Urist McKiwi »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 100