Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385809 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Queen of Blood - 39,686 Kills (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #645 on: June 07, 2013, 09:54:49 am »

I've seen magma crabs in the volcano and magma sea before quite a lot...but short of lining a room with magma-safe cage traps and draining the volcano into it...how can we capture these little buggers*?They didn't seem to leave the magma at all while I was running the place.

What's wrong with doing just that? Sounds easy, and the little buggers aren't even trap-immune. Just need steel cages, steel draining grates (into water, for efficiency) and obsidian mechanisms.

Also a duck as bait.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 07, 2013, 02:50:38 pm »

Well fuck. It looks like Neca Suckerwaste's blood is elsewhere, including in the hospital and outside.

This is what happens when the military only wears one sock and one boot.

Edit: Who am I to complain? This magma cannon has a purge feature that can flood the courtyard.

10th Slate 1093

Today, I discovered that some of Neca Suckerwaste's blood is outside, having been washed off dwarves by the rain. It has also collected around the hospital well, which is no longer in operation. I don't know what it takes for dwarves to clean up these areas, so I declared them restricted to make dwarves less likely to walk through them. The problem is exacerbated by some military dwarves only wearing one boot and nothing on the other foot, even socks. The trouble is mostly to do with the assignment of gear; dwarves need to be assigned two boots and two socks of some kind, not just one. For some reason this does not appear to be the case with gauntlets and gloves. I have now changed this so where equipment is individually assigned, we clearly specify "wear two metal high boots" or "wear two high boots". I think the important thing is to get everyone socks and boots, since once their feet are covered the threat is mostly dealt with.

I have also ordered the upper caverns temporarily walled off.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:28:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 07, 2013, 03:42:20 pm »

I don't know what it takes for dwarves to clean up these areas, so I declared them restricted to make dwarves less likely to walk through them.

Well, damn. I tried hard to contain the blood, and even have a carpenter with everything but cleaning disabled. (custom profession: Cleaner) Doesn't seem to do anything...

Spoiler: wiki quote (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:44:20 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 07, 2013, 03:46:31 pm »

The trouble is the mess is outside, so it does not get cleaned up, and the rain adds to the problems. The underground is clean. It would be useful to have a DFhack plugin to have dwarves clean up an area under a special designation system.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 07, 2013, 04:00:28 pm »

The trouble is the mess is outside, so it does not get cleaned up, and the rain adds to the problems. The underground is clean. It would be useful to have a DFhack plugin to have dwarves clean up an area under a special designation system.

If necessary...
- Declare area restricted
- Build walls and roof to make it Inside
- Burrow a cleaning dwarf there

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 07, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »

The trouble is no tile outdoors gets cleaned, unless rain falls on it. Rain also causes the contaminant to wash off dwarves. I have not seen it multiplying yet though.

If people want, I can turn on contaminant tracking.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 07, 2013, 06:31:01 pm »

Eh, probably best just to find a way to keep the dwarves as clean as possible in future....make a crudload of soap, maybe a few 3/7 or 4/7 water-filled dining rooms or main hallways. They'd have interesting problems when/if the magma-purge function is used, but it'd stop the spread of future things.

And fix the boots, obviously.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 07, 2013, 08:20:53 pm »

12th Slate, 1093

Today, I’ve ordered an extension of the granite platform over the Volcano. This will allow us some working space and allow us to extend the wall around the fortress. It will also prevent the island from being burned by fire from fire imps. I believe we can fill the moat by building a structure to hold the magma around the volcano. As our volcano is full of fire imps, if any attacks occur I will halt the construction work.

I have put in an order for some high boots at the leather shops. The door to the pool of Neca Suckerwaste’s forgotten beast blood has been installed and the area completely sealed off. I have now sealed off the upper caverns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

15th Slate, 1093

Time to reset the “days since last forgotten beast arrival” counter.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

20th Slate, 1093

I’ve found an open chute leading to the upper cavern layers. The chute will be covered with a hatch as soon as possible to prevent any of the creatures in the upper caverns flying into the fortress.

21st Slate, 1093

Today, the Iden imposed a ban on the export of weapon racks.

23rd Slate, 1093

The tomb of Sodel Gusilalis, the former Captain of the Guard, has been completed and a rose gold sarcophagus installed. I’ve ordered the place to be smoothed and engraved, but the engravers are busy elsewhere. Hopefully they will do the job properly.

I have ordered some of the stray grazing animals pastured. I have also observed a cat and a kitten rolling about in the forgotten beast blood outside the surface dormitory.

26th Slate, 1093

Sodel has now been buried, and there is no sign of the engravers, who are busy with the road at the moment.

27th Slate, 1093

One of our stray cats is now covered completely in blisters, probably as a result of walking through some of Neca’s blood. There is a fresh kitten corpse just underground and nearby.

With the completion of the new barracks underground, the miners are going to continue digging the road.

28th Slate, 1093

We're on the eve of late spring, which means dealing with the elven caravan. I've noticed the quota on trees is -118/125 for 1092. Does this mean we broke their quota or what?

This month, we could be seeing elves. So tell me....... did we fixdiplomats and also run the other DFhack fixes?
Is there any DFHack tool to get the history of these forgotten beasts up (i.e. without going into Legends mode, find out what they have been doing)?

Edit: I've spoilered the images to deal with their sizes.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 07, 2013, 09:12:05 pm »

I think Wastedlabour ran fixdiplomats and some other hacks when he started....

To deal with the blood, I suggest we just pave over it. It's simple, we can use some trenches with water to clean the pavers off as they return to the fort afterwards, and it seals the muck away for good. Hopefully.

Edit: I just looked at the 'Quotes' section of the OP. It appears that I'm mounting a one-man assault on that section of the thread. I shall endeavor to say fewer quotable things.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:20:02 am by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 08, 2013, 07:27:09 am »

Guys, guys. Remember, you are playing Ardentdikes II.

If Ardentdikes was famous for something, it was for cleansing the fortress of deadly blood by flooding the affected areas with lava. That's why the opening post says:

The Ardentdikes style:
3. A device to cleanse the fortress with magma is mandatory. This is how Ardentdikes survived the rotting extract spiral. Twice.

;D
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 09, 2013, 04:36:17 am »

Guys, guys. Remember, you are playing Ardentdikes II.

If Ardentdikes was famous for something, it was for cleansing the fortress of deadly blood by flooding the affected areas with lava. That's why the opening post says:

The Ardentdikes style:
3. A device to cleanse the fortress with magma is mandatory. This is how Ardentdikes survived the rotting extract spiral. Twice.

;D

You have a point there. That said though, ardentdikes had an out-of-control contaminant that was rapidly rotting dwarves alive with no hope for their recovery. This fortress has splashed blood that turns cats into small fun-filled bags of pus and blisters. Flooding it with magma may be a slight over-reaction.

(Plus we'd need to make sure the courtyard contents (like drawbridge levers and the like) are magma safe, although I guess that's one way to test it.)

Edit: (Note to self: If the word I'm spelling is in the post I'm quoting, I'm not allowed to spell it wrong.)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 09, 2013, 05:54:31 am »

Supposedly if you designate a meeting area, idle dwarves will clean it. Could be a quick way to remove the blood once the footwear issue is resolved.

Also, my levers were all magma-safe. And if all else fails, we can install a second control room in the lower settlement to flood the main fortress, and wait out the draining.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 09, 2013, 05:09:06 pm »

Supposedly if you designate a meeting area, idle dwarves will clean it. Could be a quick way to remove the blood once the footwear issue is resolved.

Also, my levers were all magma-safe. And if all else fails, we can install a second control room in the lower settlement to flood the main fortress, and wait out the draining.

What new lower control room? All the controls for the magma weapons are in New Townbrush. We don't really have a way to drain the main courtyard yet, though, but I can always install one.

Given the number of highly skilled or legendary leatherworkers, a large number of military boots were produced in no time at all. Shoes are no problem, unless dwarves simply refuse to put on both of them. That is what happened with the military, because the military equipment said "only wear one boot and one sock".

We have the magma cleansing device installed. That rule says having one is mandatory, but it says nothing about its use being mandatory. Nobody has used the Shroud of Armok or the branch leading into the courtyard. The device has not even been tested during undead and goblin sieges.

We're kind of facing a disaster scenario given the size bug that was recently discovered. After reading about it I didn't manage to make progress, but I will give it a go now.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:11 pm »

We're kind of facing a disaster scenario given the size bug that was recently discovered.

I don't think there's any need to do anything, and the bug is not a big deal. Please don't touch the raws.

If any dwarf dwarf baby makes it thru 12 years in Moltenchannels into adulthood they are welcome to stay in the madhouse. Give them a xbow if you can or whatever.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 10, 2013, 12:21:52 am »

We're kind of facing a disaster scenario given the size bug that was recently discovered.

I don't think there's any need to do anything, and the bug is not a big deal. Please don't touch the raws.

If any dwarf dwarf baby makes it thru 12 years in Moltenchannels into adulthood they are welcome to stay in the madhouse. Give them a xbow if you can or whatever.

.....or we could stop giving them shoes and spread more extracts around the place so we can make up our population via migrant waves. Or just use them as cheap suicidal labour (You there! Engrave the entire lower cavern!) and save the able-bodied folk for more important work..... Surely there is some use for baby-sized dwarves around the place....

Given from memory we have about 60 children in a fortress of ~170, the bug could be problematic. Still, we can see how it goes, and blame it on McDuck.

Edit: Also with regards to that bug, does the size of a baby depend on the size of its parents? Because if so then...well....if by some miracle we last long enough to have 3rd or 4th generation Moltenchannels residents they're going to be small enough to be sold as novelty gaming miniatures.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:59:56 am by Urist McKiwi »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 100