Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383865 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Dark Towers of Blistering (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #705 on: July 02, 2013, 12:24:53 am »

McZombie is a renamed McKiwi II.... since there was no actual ingame way of creating a zombie decoy, I just renamed her and took on a new dorf. Put it down to really good DIY necromancy.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 02, 2013, 05:54:00 pm »

I'm done. I will take my time to write up the report. We have a shiny new entrance with all the decorations I could manage. Those entering the fortress will feel as though they are entering a proper mountainhome, rather than an experimental zombie-infested cave with random beds and coffins shoved into the corners. The construction of the gold walls and road has taken up a significant quantity of our resources. Smelting the remaining gold nuggets will give us about 200 more bars to work with. I did not think we would run out, but we ended up with about 50-70 bars left after assigning the gold to the walls and so on.

The fortress is, again, surrounded by the undead. There is a caged necromancer outside too. I think the other necromancers fled. The trouble is using the magma weapon (which was never used) will result in flaming zombies that never die.

I found we had 16 adamantine strands left. These became 15 adamantine wafers, because apparently some strands were removed in the hospital. We now have 16 wafers of adamantine, including reserves existing beforehand.

The bridge that caps the pyramid is made of orthoclase, not gold. This is because gold is not magma safe unless forged into a wall, floor, or fortification.

If you find the entrance artwork too offensive, you can always deconstruct it and put something else there. I wanted to use aluminium and gold, but the contrast was so bad I had to stick with cheaper materials such as black bronze.

All non-berserk vampires are now free and assigned to a burrow, which is the Vampire Burrow. This excludes all living quarters. If you make new bedrooms, be sure to remove them from the burrow. If you set the fortress to an alert, the vampires will be assigned to the same burrows as the dwarves, and you can have drainings.

Vampires can live peacefully with the undead and necromancers, so you can create a special fortress for them.

McZombie is a renamed McKiwi II.... since there was no actual ingame way of creating a zombie decoy, I just renamed her and took on a new dorf. Put it down to really good DIY necromancy.

We do have some necromancers in storage. Probably three or four, including the one caged outside.

Linky: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7802
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:19:10 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 03, 2013, 09:14:25 am »

Alright. notquitethere, your turn is up, and you have an expanded fortress to work with.

Edit: I've messaged notquitethere.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:29:18 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 03, 2013, 03:03:44 pm »

I will not let the fortress down.*

*[Full disclaimer: I may in fact let the fortress down]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:55:46 pm by notquitethere »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 03, 2013, 04:52:30 pm »

If you want to re-do the entrance art, that's fine. I've made it as though a modern artist took an impression of the cave wheat, which is the symbol of the civilization, and then was so sober they accidentally mirrored the image... or maybe they intended it to be that way.

The road branch that is unfinished is supposed to lead to just above the magma sea, and the barracks was supposed to be extended to include a store-room and some well rooms. I also wanted to fit in a minecart network, but that never materialised.

Apologies for taking so long. Right at the beginning of my turn, I was finishing up my work at university, and then I got very ill - I mean too ill for dwarf fortress ill. I'm doing much better now though. Thanks for your patience.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 04, 2013, 05:21:12 pm »

Thank you for the great turn again, and glad to see notquitethere on it already. :D

PSA: I started a new job three days ago and things are a bit hectic as I run in fixing a badly broken workflow. I'll be checking regularly to update the first post, but if I take a couple days to write a reply that's normal. :D I'm still hoping to play another turn myself later on.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 04, 2013, 06:31:36 pm »

I think I'll put myself down for another turn. There are many more ways in which we can expand the fortress downward. We really need more 5x5 or 7x7 or 23x23 bedrooms, complete with a zoo.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 04, 2013, 08:52:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cutey woke on her exceptional featherbed and stared at the gold hatch in the ceiling of her tower bedroom. Her head was still swampy from last night's swamp brew. It was the first day of the new year.

Dwarves were milling about in the hovel caves beneath the fortress, she saw their eyes struggle in the dark. It was time. Time to realise The True Vision for the fort.

"Och, all of ye! Ge' over here, yes you bairns as well. I has an announcement to make. It's been maybe ten years give or take since I ruled the roost. Was before most of yer's time, an I cannae say I talked to many of yer since. Aye, was my own fault mebbe for building a palatial room 'bove the hospital an staying there. No matter. I'm the Overlass this year, and it's about time we got back to The True Vision."

"The True Vision, 'wazzat?!', ye say?" here, she points to a faded engraving in which her original Overseerial declaration was made, the year she oversaw the creation of the four ordinal towers and the magma moat.

"Lessee here... ah, I said 'we're no going to grovel underground fer much longer! By year's end we'll have a bonnie wee fortress or my name's not Cutey Boltnourish!' aye and my name's still Cutey an' I promise by this time next year we'll none of us be grovelling underground no more. For now, WE STRIKE THE SKY!"

The other dwarves shuffle away, pretending not to notice her. They haven't seen the new work orders yet: everyone is now a mason and Cutey has retaken her role as chief medical dwarf.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 05, 2013, 12:21:00 am »

Nooooooo! My dashingness! A swordsdwarf of renown and dashingness reduced to a rock-hauler!

....although I very much approve of building up the towers. Currently Duck's the only person who's ever finished one...I think.

EDIT: Wait, how on earth did Cutey survive that much exposure to the hospital? There's even blood in her room!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:40:27 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 10, 2013, 11:44:22 am »

Bump!

Nooooooo! My dashingness! A swordsdwarf of renown and dashingness reduced to a rock-hauler!

....although I very much approve of building up the towers. Currently Duck's the only person who's ever finished one...I think.

EDIT: Wait, how on earth did Cutey survive that much exposure to the hospital? There's even blood in her room!

The blood in that room is not the toxic blood. You can get to the room without stepping in any toxic blood.

So.... any progress on this?  8)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 10, 2013, 01:06:44 pm »

(Expect another episode tonight in about seven hours time!)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 10, 2013, 07:37:03 pm »

"Waily waily waily!" bemoans Cutey as she beholds the slow dacite block production proceed as the annual fire slowly herds the undead clockwise round the fort and new migrants are rendered limb from limb before being optimistically chalked up as 'missing' by the fort's record keeper, Priest Udib, who through some rather suspicious early fenangling had managed to end up with about half the official titles going.

"Och, mebbe we should do somethin' aboot that?" ponders Cutey, sweeping a broad hand towards the legions of undead. The endless reports of forgotten monstrosities in the sub-basements had managed to penetrate her swamp brew stupor during these last few years and slowly, as the bismuth bronze gear turns, a plan formed in Cutey's mind..."

A few days later Trollfur had manically dug a tunnel straight to the middle depths where some particularly insalubrious guests milled about, foul weevils and fatal fish newts. The plan was simple: create a pathway directly from the surface, where the undead roamed, and the subterranean depths where great beasts roamed, no longer forgotten. Two unstoppable forces would go head to head, potentially ridding the fort of at least one problem.

The tunnel went ahead just fine-- doors were placed at bottle necks and the tunnel was opened up to the surface, all without fatalities or allowing anything nasty inside the fort. Soon the tunnel was carefully paved over and all doors left unlocked. At first, there was nothing. Would the undead need coaxing? And then, hesitantly, a single right elf hand slowly crawled down below.

"Foul tidings Overseer!" cried a fish cleaner at the wall.

"It's Overlass, and wae is it?" snapped Cutey. She wasn't best pleased after finding a dead child in a new tower bedroom accidentally set in the Queen's burrow.

"The dead have risen, necormancers stalk the land, we are surely undone this time!" said the over-dramatic citizen.

Cutey Boltnourish just rubbed her wrinkled hands together with glee. Soon...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:47:34 pm by notquitethere »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 10, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »

Correction: Its a burrow for all vampires. We have at least one other vampire in there.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 12, 2013, 04:59:21 pm »

"Overs-- I mean, Overlass, terrible news!" wailed the over-dramatic fish cleaner.

"Aye, and whet would that be?" glowers Cutey as she stalks the battlements, overlassing the installment of dacite and alunite block towers.

"The forgotten beast that dwells beneath..." the fish cleaner begins,

"Aye, which one?"

"The fell newt beast that dwells beneath, that slithers and gimbles amidst subterranean fronds..."

"Och aye, I ken the one ye mean."

"Well it has been felled by the necrotic host that marched through the lower halls carved by honest dwarven hands."

Cutey grins and wobbles enthusiastically.

"Smile not, noble leader! For though the fell beast was felled, now it has risen as a shambling squamous corpse, spreading its fatal ichor across the caves sullying the land for generations to come!

"Oh bugger."

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 12, 2013, 09:13:40 pm »

"Well on the bright side, the other giant lizard monstrosity, the one with the external ribs and poisonous bite, that one seems to be holding its own against the necromantic legions..." says the fish cleaner, "Oh no, wait, that one's undead now as well."

"Och, there's only one way to kill the dead and tha's with fire!"

And such it was the
Cutey's Folly arose, a series of intricately mined tunnels to pour magma straight from the volcano into the lower caves to kill off the zombies.

This was a disaster on several unique and horrible levels. First, the magma didn't actually kill the undead, it just set them on fire and encourage the non-flaming ones to spread around the caverns a bit more, creating a more authentic dungeon. The magma flow reduced the moat levels (though not fatally). Further, a scheme to drop an underground lake onto the ever increasing pool of magma in the second cavern layer managed to create a lot of obsidian but failed to staunch the flow.

"Och, it isnae so bad as all that," said Cutey, addressing the fourth wall. "I solved the forgotten beast problem, didnae I?"

Yes, she solved the forgotten beast problem, by turning the forgotten beasts undead and ending them closer to the fort, while marring the cavern layer with magma, water and dangerous blood.

(pictures coming soon)(EDIT 1: it's like half 4 in the morning here and I'm not thinking coherent enough to properly update yet, but in short the upper fortress has a lot of nice flooring, I dropped a second lake into the underground cavern and that solved all the problems and no one important died. Oh, and a giant forgotten mongoose beast managed to get inside the fort by climbing through a hole in a newly dried up lake, but some badass with a crossbow took it down while successfully dodging out of the way of its poisonous breath.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:41:14 pm by notquitethere »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 100