Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 382399 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Dark Towers of Blistering (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #720 on: July 12, 2013, 11:02:05 pm »

I'm always glad to see the 'interesting' stuff happen to other overseers.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 16, 2013, 06:32:16 pm »

[Micro update: it's early winter, only one death by misadventure so far this year (migrants don't count), zombie population is slowly declining while marksmanship is generally increasing, the above ground fort is more like a classic adventure world fort with a lot of pointless upstairs rooms, a leak was made in the volcano but it has now been plugged, there are a few zombies trapped in magma under layers of obsidian burning for eternity, and I have learned that forgotten beasts can still destroy doors when they're undead...]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:36:14 pm by notquitethere »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 17, 2013, 04:50:41 am »

How's my dashing swordsdwarf McKiwi III doing these days?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 18, 2013, 07:14:47 pm »

Still dashing. Admired a tastefully arranged trap recently. Doing well. Same can't be said for all the dwarves in the fort, especially after the Queen led a valiant assault out of the gates to drive back the undead horde... full write-up soon, but here's the save for the next person until then. Press F5 on loading the game to see a hint of what I've been up to...

THE SAVE

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 19, 2013, 02:40:52 pm »

I shall begin my turn shortly.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 22, 2013, 01:35:35 am »

Sweeeet. Also Dashing.

I think when it's my turn I'll see about exporting a full map of the fortress. Pictures barely did it justice in my last turn, and it's only gotten more convoluted since then.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 25, 2013, 08:01:31 pm »

Crap, so much stuff has come up. I've got too much work. Is possible I can have my turn moved down one?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 26, 2013, 06:42:56 am »

Crap, so much stuff has come up. I've got too much work. Is possible I can have my turn moved down one?

I can take the turn instead, but it'd be a few days before I could really do anything. There's always a bunch of lecturers who think that they can schedule their assignments sneakily to be handed in before everyone else to cut the student workload, and thus they've all chosen next wednesday as their due dates.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 26, 2013, 07:38:17 pm »

Ok, I've downloaded the save myself.....notquitethere, could you get your write-up done some time? It'd help me work out what's going on. I'm expecting !!Fun!! from what you've said already but the devil's in the details....

I'll probably get a short session in later today after I've worked on my essays.

Edit: SWEET MUSHROOMS BELOW! What did you *DO* to this place?!

From what I can see, we still have the worlds filthiest and least secure dining room, there's corpses everywhere filling the caverns with miasma, the caverns are mostly flooded (hah, I have plans to fix THAT), except where they are filled with blood....and...we have a nice new perimeter wall. And yes...... the forest is on fire. Of course.

I'll update this properly later on. Currently exporting a map.

Edit to the edit: Geez the map compressor doesn't like working. I'll have to keep trying. Maybe it's an old version I'm using. I dunno.

Edited edit to the edit: I have embarked on an ambitious program to deal with the flooded everything. It may kill everyone, but that's an acceptable risk at this stage. If it works, we will also be able to steam vegetables up to 800% faster than previously possible.

Edited Edit to the Edit Edit..um...thing: Anyone know where the lever for the western drawbridge over the moat is? I never used it in my last turn.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:23:03 pm by Urist McKiwi »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 26, 2013, 08:48:14 pm »

It's probably been months since I last looked at this.

...good lord.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 27, 2013, 01:38:00 am »

Okay, readjusting turns.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go ahead and slot me in after CaptainArchmage's next turn. My sanity has recovered from my last turn. :D

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf

1st Granite

Well, it's been a long time since I last had to make a cheese. A dashing swordsdwarf such as myself is just the sort of dwarf this place has needed. I can't even remember what happened over the last year....things happened so fast. Still, I got to smash one of those zombies the necromancers brought over. In a very dashing manner, if I may say so myself.

Alas, I fear the fun is about to end. Somehow when people were looking around for a new leader after Cutie decided to stand down, they remembered my brief tenure after McKiwi II fled....and I've been appointed overseer. I'm no leader! I'm a dashing swordsdwarf!

Still. Let's see. I've been on station down here in the caverns for a while, and while it's very dashing, it's also very boring. We need some way to deal with the undead that doesn't involve me standing around in the mud all month, and preferably take out the massive pool that's built up against our walls while we're at it. It's probably a good chance to secure the fortress a bit more while we're at it. While this is most undashing, I'll probably have to ask the engineers if there's a way to do this.

5th Granite

I have.....a fantastic idea. It should be possible to channel the volcano to flood the caverns with magma. I've never tried this before, but I think I can do it without destroying the compound. I'm getting the channels and valves sorted out first, so the system can be turned off. With luck, it'll vaporise the water and instantly destroy any undead that are lurking outside the compound. In future, it might also be a good way to fight the forgotten beast.

I should also put some kind of podium in there so I can dashingly fight monsters while surrounded by fire and lava and such.

6th Granite

One of the civilians came running up to me today. "Your dashingness!", he said. "One of the porcupines has gone wild!". It took me a few minutes to work out what he was on about. Apparently our animal trainers have been rather lax. While there are certain creatures that would do well as the companion to one as dashing as myself, porcupines are not among them. I'll see to fixing the training system.....later.

It's also come to my attention that someone has been scribbling profanities on the building plans in the hope of having their vulgar feelings immortalised in the fortress layout. I've ordered etiquette lessons for the entire fortress. How can one be dashing if one is not polite?

The semi-weekly forest fire is heading for the new perimeter wall. Since it was never finished properly, it is likely to burn directly into the outer compound.

8th Granite

Disaster! A squad went off to save a dwarf being strangled by one of the undead, and the civilians walled off their way out! I'm sending the military out to sweep the caverns to pick off individual targets.....at least, I will as soon as those darned walls are gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right, slow updates to start off with, since I'm still doing assignments. I need two bits of information.

1. How do I close that darned drawbridge on the left of the fort? I can't find the lever anywhere. For that matter, how do I open the brand new one on the far right of the fortress?

2. I think our corpse-handling system has reset itself again (that or the recent death rate has exceeded its capacity roughly 8-fold). How do I check it and fix it if it's broken so we dump things in the volcano again?

...plans for this year are 1. Flood part of the caverns with magma. 2. Build  a system that can flood more of the middle/lower caverns with magma, preferably without pressurising the system. 3. Fix the perimeter wall once the fires go out. & 4. Cleaning up the place. Metaphorically. It'll still be covered in blood.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:33:54 pm by Urist McKiwi »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

"Waily waily waily!" wails Cutey, the now ex-Overlass. "I wouldnae flood the caves with magma if I were you. Well, actually I would, because thass what I already did!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"I did it to burn out the zombos. Especially the forgotten beasties zombies. The ones I let down into the lower caves to fight the other beasties. An then the volcano was leaking forever so I had to plug it with the water!"

"Och, and what I figured out was that it doesnae kill the bastards. They just burn forever, prolonging the siege. That's why I started throwing puppies and kittens and wee babby goats over the wall to lure the zombies close so the marksdwarfs could shoot 'em all to bits. An it worked an all until I got cocky and sent the Queen out t'kill everything. Aye, and she did until she went up against the wee flame beastie. Och, an we're still cleaning up the ash queen confetti. On the bright-side, we murderised the mongoose beastie with narry a death."

---

[The lever you see in the last image controls the flood gate that floods the lower caverns with water. After a while, the water will spread off the edge of map. There's not that many zombies left so you could easily continue the policy of shooting them from the wall (look at the marksdwarves  scheduled stations). Outside used to be crawling with them, but by trapping most of them underground I made the surface safe. Unfortunately, we're now stuck in a permanent siege. You might be able to end it by executing the captured necromancers, or else killing most of the rest of the zombies should do it. Magma won't work. Seriously, check out how many zombies are permanently burning under the new layer of obsidian in the lower cave.]

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. Guess I shouldn't have re-organised the military placements already. Ah well. Not as if we need a safe fortress. Since I've never worked out cages and executions, I'll just leave things as they are. I spotted your work earlier while I was digging my own system. I'll put that on hold....

....I will, however, make a device that can flood the caverns with magma. I will thoughtfully include an "off" switch. Probably. Might not have a drain though. I think if I aim it right I can obsidianise one of the FBs.

I'm using lecture time to do all my designations, so no time is actually passing ingame. When time restarts, I'll do more updates. Current new plan is to mine (I've got a nice iron-mining area worked out that should net us a bunch of haematite), get some coke/charcoal, make steel, re-equip the military before the end of the year (I've filled some gaps in the squads with new recruits, appointed McKiwi III as militia commander and tweaked the equipment the Royal Fist uses), and do some construction to fortify the underground areas. Also more traps. Lots more traps. And coffins. We need many more, since our corpse-burning system is broken and I have no idea how minecart systems work. THere's been a few skirmishes with the military, but overall things are fairly peaceful. We're burning through crossbow bolts rather quickly, which is annoying since we're using the steel ones right now, and can't make any more steel until I get some coke sorted out.

I wish we could have an extra squad.....we've got a lot of pikes, spears and whips lying around. I'll chuck the cheaper ones in weapons traps. Might give the expensive awesome ones to one or two of our more interesting soldiers to see what they do.

Unfortunately, the job settings are messed up and I don't use DFHack or Dwarf Therapist, so getting things working  to my whims could take some time (We've got 185 dwarves, and I have no external utilities. This is gonna be a fun 60 years of going through menus). I'm sad to say that certain managerial roles will be reassigned in favour of getting things done, as opposed to continuing the "Udib does everything" tradition. Job orders aren't going through fast enough, so I'll be cutting down his other jobs.

Edit: I see Udib's already lost the job of manager. I think the bottleneck is due to the insane number of hauling jobs.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:34:38 pm by Urist McKiwi »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 100