Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385727 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Check the settings on the mine cart. It should be guided back and forth, and make sure the directions are running properly. It wasn't when I took my turn, and I don't know if CaptainArchmage fixed it. When I did it, it was set to push south, which is backwards and useless because it's going up slope.

Also check to ensure it's taking from the refuse stockpile.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit: I see Udib's already lost the job of manager. I think the bottleneck is due to the insane number of hauling jobs.

Ten years of managing the fortress and all I got is a lousy silk sock.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey! Who dropped that sock where he could get hold of it? Someone get a wrestler to take it away.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit: I see Udib's already lost the job of manager. I think the bottleneck is due to the insane number of hauling jobs.

Ten years of managing the fortress and all I got is a lousy silk sock.

I'll make you a fantastic tomb if you don't already have one. Hopefully you won't be needing it any time soon but eh, surprises happen. I downgraded my lodgings to the ones I built for McKiwi II back in my last turn. I'll spruce those up later. Couldn't even find my current ones, although I did find the room that Archmage and Urist the grey II are sharing these days.

Tomorrow I should be finished this wonderful pair of assignments (1500 words left to write, utter mindblank, little hope, due half way through tomorrow. Yay.) and I can get to work actually playing the game, rather than just doing massive designations.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:35:26 am by Urist McKiwi »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

I hope you are designating more above-ground towers, otherwise you and I are going to need a serious chat about fortress priorities.  ;D

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hope you are designating more above-ground towers, otherwise you and I are going to need a serious chat about fortress priorities.  ;D

First I'll designate "PUT SOME CLOTHES ON", with a firm glance in the direction of the Royal Fist. That will stop the current epidemic of mysterious blindness episodes and work-hours lost through sniggering. Then I'll see about putting out the fires and walling off the unstoppable army of death. Then I might look at towers. maybe. Once I've got the mines working and some steel made so our army isn't wearing charity-shop leftovers.....Some of them are wearing copper, one is wearing a really nice dress we had made ages ago, and given the amount of marble we've got in the deeps we have no excuse for anything less than steel. Although the dress can stay, since it's an artifact. I might make the entire army wear dresses at that. We'll be fabulous. Especially if I can work out how to dye stuff.

Currently everyone's out grabbing loot and corpses from the battles, so things will take some time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:43:50 am by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Just how many dwarves are still alive? Also sign me up for a turn if I'm not down yet.

As FPS drops, I think we should start allowing people to play a half year in a week or so as an alternative.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just how many dwarves are still alive? Also sign me up for a turn if I'm not down yet.

As FPS drops, I think we should start allowing people to play a half year in a week or so as an alternative.

185. A lot of those are children though.

If I can work out where some of the clutter is, I can probably try destroying some junk to try raising FPS. We do have lava-sea hatches, after all. And a lot of scrap that can be melted down and consolidated. One advantage is that the pathfinding is starting to break in the caverns (the military have trouble there), so if we make things even more convoluted we might be able to stop FBs from getting in.

2.5 hours left on my assignments, then I'll be free to take a few hours break and get to work on getting past the first week of Granite.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

185. A lot of those are children though.

If I can work out where some of the clutter is, I can probably try destroying some junk to try raising FPS. We do have lava-sea hatches, after all. And a lot of scrap that can be melted down and consolidated. One advantage is that the pathfinding is starting to break in the caverns (the military have trouble there), so if we make things even more convoluted we might be able to stop FBs from getting in.

2.5 hours left on my assignments, then I'll be free to take a few hours break and get to work on getting past the first week of Granite.

Do we still have the monarch surviving? What about the named dwarves?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know. I'll work that out in a bit.

Diary of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf

16th Granite

I've been dashing all over the fortress, but not in the way I'd like. There's work to be done everywhere. I've assigned new uniforms for the Royal Fist (which I've taken control of, along with the post of Militia Commander, since apparently it's been vacant for years), put in new mining plans to get the iron we'll need for the next new equipment procurement program. Oh, and I've had a word with the citizens about the corpse disposal system. They tell me it should now be working again, but it will take some time to see if that's true or not. I am exhausted, but a little hard work now should let me be far more dashing later on!

I'm also going to try to revamp our healthcare system, starting by setting up new hospitals for injured and sick dwarves. I've put an interim one in a disused room off the main staircase, but in the long term, I believe a new state-of-the-art hospital in New Townsbrush will be needed. I will task the engineers with coming up with a decontamination system. I think I will also have them look at installing some anti-flooding measures.....the current fortress layout is rather vulnerable to flooding from the caverns, and it's hard to be dashing when you're getting thrown down a hallway by water pressure.

Once all this is sorted out, I think I'll see about getting some nice steel armor for the militia. We've been wearing a crappy mix of iron and copper for far too long, and this fortress has loads to spare. Might see about melting down some of the old stuff so we can save on ores as well....

(OOC: The problem with the minecart? It was forbidden. AND the thing was set to load INTO the stockpile. Hopefully it'll work now.)
Edited Edited stuff: I've got it working, and I'm redoing our levers for the entrances. I'll try to label them. Steel is coming online, and corpses are being fed into the minecart. Should work nicely. I'm tempted to get some builders going so we can run two tracks for dumping corpses, but that will happen later, if it happens at all.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:49:20 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It'd actually go faster building the second track if it's right beside the second, since it isn't being built one piece at a time like the first one, which took an entire year to get done.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf

11th Slate

The corpses are headed into the volcano. Citizen, undead and goblin alike.....we don't have enough coffins for everyone. I'm trying to get that fixed so that we can bury our fallen soldiers properly. Just in case though, I've taken over the tomb McKiwi II had built for her. One so dashing as myself truly deserves a proper burial.

Unfortunately, one of our vampires has been on the loose. I'm going to have them locked away again, because frankly I hate the bloody things. They get their super-dwarven strength and resilience through hocus-pocus. Hardly dashing at all. My prowess comes from years of hard work and training.

Anyway. The steel for the new armor is being made, and I've ordered the first few breastplates. By walking up to the chap in the furnace room and saying "I say, would you mind getting some nice armor for the soldiers?". Fifty times faster than our manager apparently works. I haven't seen that chap since I took office. Nice chap, but he doesn't work very quickly.

We'll have some more steel soon....to speed up the engineering work on the entrances I'm ordering the brand shiney new steel drawbridge demolished. It'll be replaced with an even shinier one that we can actually open. The fire has returned to the trap corridor entrance, delaying work....but soon it should burn itself out. We hope.

Still, for a month full of decay and smoke, it's not been half bad since I took office. I thought it'd be harder, but I guess I'm not actually that bad a leader. Huh. My dashingness has served me rather well, it seems.

-------

Things are happening very slowly in Moltenchannels. Framerate is improving a little now that things are getting dumped, but the fire, reactors, flooding, junk and blood everywhere is causing slowdowns. The upside of this is that managing a fortress is a lot easier (albiet more boring) when things happen at this speed.

I've walled off the middle cavern completely....although it's not immune to flyers. I'll work on that later, if I have time. I finished the stairwell fixes I was working on in my last turn though. The problem with the manager is quite annoying...he's not approving work orders at all. Which means that I'm going to have to do this all by hand. We're out of mechanisms to boot. Still, things are actually looking rather good. if they go really well then I've got a brilliant plan which may or may not work, but will probably result in fun.

I've also been putting coffins where-ever I can, and making sure any others I find are actually being used. This means we now have three fantastic rose-gold sarcophagi in our topside hospital.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:34:30 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dude, the map is large enough to dig out some proper tombs.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dude, the map is large enough to dig out some proper tombs.

In theory, yes. In practice, the backlog of jobs means I'm chucking stuff down where I can until the 2-month+ digging backlog is cleared (Edit: THat's not "it's been two months of digging", it's "it takes two months from designation to start digging). I may need to conscript more miners....

Edit: Yay. Ghosts. The fun doesn't stop in moltenchannels! Fortunately I've found the workshops so I can get some slabs engraved.
Edit2: A few deaths from natural causes (ie. Insanity). Nothing serious as of yet....I'm sending out people to collect debris from the battles topside. I think I've worked out how to designate a new minecart track as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:14:48 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Make them ALL miners! All shall dig for the glory of molten channels!

Which is essentially what I did when I drove the water shaft. Throw enough dwarves behind any project and it doesn't take long. Throw them in front and you tend to end up with Dwarf bits.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 100