Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386196 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you provide pictures of what the aboveground looks like? I'm interested.

Certainly. It's not half bad now the rain's washed the blood off. I'll edit with an annotated screenshot.

Edit: Here you are. It's as it is now, a bit after the "Everything went wrong" phase. The bowgoblins have run off to the north and McKiwi's improvised crusher has wiped out most of the trolls and about a squad or two of goblins. My handwriting is crappy and messy even when I'm not trying to do it in MS paint with a mouse, so unless you really want the annotations I'd just go for the standard view.

Points of interest not annotated:
-The big bridge in the outer wall isn't linked up yet and is open. The little bridge next to it is The Crusher.
-That patch of burned ground with little puddles of lava just north of the moat is where the Shroud dumps lava. It's not very effective right now.
-I put a bolt stockpile in each of the watchtowers, as well as a food/drink stockpile. Just in case.
-I'm amazed at how much blood was in that goblin archer who escaped to the north.
-"Dead Everything" can be more accurately described as "Corpse Pile #2". I've set up three of them to empty the fortress of rotting teeth and entrails and stuff.
-The dead FB up the top was made of pink tourmaline and came up the stairs from the caverns. The entrance to said stairs is visible as a blue tile directly north of the northernmost tile of magma from the Shroud.
-Not visible: Giant piles of corpses on top of the outer curtain wall (north of the moat-island). They're 1 Z-level up.
-Also not visible: most of the militia. They're off drinking.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:19:46 am by Urist McKiwi »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Glad that everything is going as expected...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like fun.

The second track is listing as not connected? Is the point at the bottom going north? And the one at the upper end pointing east?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I think I found your problem, you need a wall directly in front of the new ramp.

Edit: Was the green glass tower in the middle of the island originally supposed to be a magma pumping tower? I think that part of the fortress could use some work.

Edit2: A better option than dumping items into the volcano is to dump them into the moat. This ensures that magma-safe items are not destroyed. You can do that for the second minecart track if you want options.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:58:18 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's why the track isn't working. I didn't have the issue since I had to have something to build the ramps on. But yours would have connected to the track beside it.

Yeah, the Green Glass tower was intended to house the pressurizing mechanism to force the water or magma up into the upper levels of the fortress. Sort of fell by the way side.

That's fine, but there's no way to drain the moat then.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's fine, but there's no way to drain the moat then.

Then build a chamber that can be flooded with magma and then drained.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I found your problem, you need a wall directly in front of the new ramp.

Aha! Thank you. I'll see what I can do to fix that....it might require another full teardown (if the game decides to be annoying), but hopefully if that's the case I can get it done by the end of the turn. Sadly, the thing's already designed to dump into the volcano, but if I do tear it all down, it would be a lot quicker to make it dump to the moat.

In terms of drainage and the like, there are levers under the island that supposedly drain the moat, but I don't know if they were ever connected to anything. And since we've got a seige right now there is no way in hell I'm experimenting with levers right now. We have space next to the giant corpse-piles that can be used (along with the green glass tower, or just a pipeline connected to the Shroud) to make a Magma Laundry for collecting  iron junk from corpses. Since I've never worked with pumps though, I will leave that to future overseers. A magma-laundry system would be a lot safer than using minecarts (no pesky undead job cancellations, no getting sniped by goblins....it's a pretty good deal). I'd agree that there's a lot we can do over there, since our siege-weapon batteries are now useless (there's probably a good use for them somewhere though).

In other news, I've been staring at a screen trying to work out how to get this siege destroyed so much I actually managed the old "played DF so much I'm now dreaming in ASCII" thing last night. Hardly a good method of simulating the game though, because things didn't go wrong enough.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:08:35 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Obviously no dream can equal the pain and terror incumbent in even the simplest of Dwarf Fortress games, but it should have given you some ideas.

I never had an issue with goblins sniping the cart pushers but if it's an issue, you could wall the tracks in. It wouldn't take too much effort.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well fuck, next up we have The Master. Based on what happened at Sparkgear XIII, I am greatly concerned about what will happen next.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well fuck, next up we have The Master. Based on what happened at Sparkgear XIII, I am greatly concerned about what will happen next.
What could possibly go wrong?

Edit: Also, insanity is fun and interesting. I was originally planning to do a "descent into madness" plot over my turn, but then things went wrong early. I *might* still be able to fit it in if people like it.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What could possibly go wrong?

Based on what happened at Sparkgear XIII, all constructions on the Surface Z-level will be designated for deconstruction, causing a huge cave-in, massive magma flooding, and exposure to forgotten beast blood. You can defend against this by building supports, since they cannot be deconstructed just by using a designation - they have to be marked for removal individually.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, it's more fun to watch things go wrong when and if they do.

In other other news, I've broken the seige. UristTheGreyII is one of ~3 survivors of his squad (which was hammered in the early hours of the siege), which I've taken off duty to regroup (so they're not in this battle). Down to 164 dwarves, but the latest battle was a whitewash....in our favor

First I got all 5 of the combat-ready squads to wait behind the drawbridge....then I turned off the crusher, lowered the bridge and sent all of them in at once. With predictable results (I don't think we had any injuries...serious ones, at least).

McKiwi (dwarf on far right of our little military, center of image) charges (most of)  two squads of lashers and pike-goblins (MOST DASHING), as the marksdwarves pelt everything with bolts.

McKiwi and her melee comrades wipe out the pikegoblins and lashers in seconds, and the goblins start to flee.

McKiwi catches another goblin at the edge of the map and kills him instantly. Meanwhile, the marksdwarves sate their bloodlust by emptying their quivers into a wounded goblin lying under a pile of corpses.

----
Our military is actually pretty scary (McKiwi is only a Master Swordsdwarf, but has really good gear, runs fairly quickly, and managed to get in first and kill 3-5 goblins by herself), but our marksdwarves are crunchy and vulnerable as hell.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:02:29 am by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's one of the most photogenic DF battles I've ever seen.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's one of the most photogenic DF battles I've ever seen.

It was beautiful to watch in realtime.

Also I notice now that in the middle of the battle a civilian runs up to recover the body of one of the marksdwarves who were killed right at the beginning of the siege. Our undertakers are hardcore.

Edit: I've fixed the orders so we don't claim every damned thing that falls on the map. I've also set some squads to guard the haulers as they get the dead back in.....we're having some tantrum issues. One marksdwarf in particular had his wife killed and his child left out to rot in front of him during the siege, which has made him rather unhappy. Estimated deathtoll for the year so far: 26-30. Ish. On the other hand, we're well on the way to controlling the goblin population. McKiwi alone has killed 6 of them this year, a few other soldiers have had similar results....and the improvised crusher took out 30 or so. In the interests of future fun, I've set up a proper crusher system so we can do this again in future.

Minecart system now completely backed up again, the second track is going to take some time to fix. I've got the bridges set up though, so next time we may not lose the outer compound.
Edit2: Oh, and a strange mood. A child at a craftdwarves bench, so we'll have to see what they make, if they don't go mad. Don't get excited though, it's a possession.
Edit3: I have just remembered that I was going to make that micro-weapon for the caverns. I think I'll seal it off and leave it alone instead. Otherwise it's just another hole for flyers to use to get in.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:18:38 am by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Heroic Bridges - OVERSEERS NEEDED (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #779 on: August 07, 2013, 11:21:47 pm »

I'm running a little behind on the turn due to poor FPS+having to revise for yet another test. I'll probably be finished with the save by the end of Sunday (New Zealand time).
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 100