Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385632 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Heroic Bridges - OVERSEERS NEEDED (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #780 on: August 09, 2013, 12:21:59 am »

Diary of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf

20th Limestone.

Well, it's been a hard few months. A seige turned up and wiped out the Blockaded Arches. Only 3 or 4 of them survived the scramble to get into the fortress. But we rallied, and I lead the charge to retake the gates......6 of the bastards dead at my hands. Most dashing. Alas, this has thinned our numbers even more. To make matters worse, the loss of one of our surgeons meant that our hospital has gone largely untended, leading to yet more deaths...we're down to 162 souls (well, if you include the vampires).....48 of those are children though. The local vampires keep killing people as well. Unsporting bastards.

Udib says that dwarves won't come to Moltenchannels because of some "dark presence" under the fortress. Some kind of "beacon" or "gateway". We've only had 2 migrants this year, and we've lost maybe 30 dwarves.....assuming a birth rate of maybe 10 per year, we'll be out of people in less than a decade. And the birth rate isn't that high most years. It may not be a job for my rule....but we must stop this "beacon" once and for all or die trying if this fortress isn't to slowly bleed out from these constant sieges. I hear the Archwiseard who lead this fortress previously may have had some ideas as to the precise location of this presence......I will consult the texts.

Apart from the dark energy, smashed squads, tantrumming soldiers who've just seen their wife and child rot in front of them for a month, the trails of blood across half the plain this fortress sits on from some shot goblin, screaming patients dying in the hospital and the stench of death, things haven't been going half badly. The new corpse-disposer is on track to eventually be fixed (maybe), and I've sent miners out to resume work on the alterations to the Shroud of Armok. Unfortunately, that means keeping the militia on duty even longer. I'm not happy, and the rest of the soldiers aren't happy. But what more can I do? Every time we go out, something comes to kill us! Not dashing. Not dashing at all...

------

McKiwi III's estimate on the lifespan of the fortress isn't very accurate, but it's a good point. Either we need to set up a dwarven breeding colony within the next decade (No fanart, please),or we need to make a push for the dark-energy-wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey-ball-thing (demonic fortress) under the fortress, and preferably go out with an almighty bloodbath so we can either reclaim the place or just make Moltenchannels II/Ardentdikes III (reclaiming this place would be one hell of a challenge). Or we can settle for eventually running out of dwarves, in which case our final battle will be somewhat smaller and shorter.

And yes, I'm planning to aim for the fortress in what time I've got left (Most of autumn, all of winter). I probably can't reach it in time (especially since there's a volcano and a flooded cave of horrors in the way), but I might be able to get something started. If we're really lucky I'll break through and undead will wipe out the military just in time for the next siege.

Edit: I've started the tunnel, and stationed part of the military nearby. The only things that can go wrong are breaking into the caverns and getting slaughtered by FBs and undead, or breaking into the caverns and flooding the lower fortress. Or breaking into the demon fort and getting slaughtered by whatever's in there (did I mention I've never done this before? Well I haven't). This should be fun and responsible.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:21:15 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 10, 2013, 11:44:21 pm »

As it happens, it's been fun, responsible, and I should really learn by now not to run CPU-intensive stuff while playing DF. I had a couple of crashes shortly after trying to get the new tunnel started. That seems to have cleared up though.

Quick "not an update but an update on the update": The tunnel is being dug. It's a very seriously dangerous bit of digging though and may end in disaster (my apologies to The Master if I kill the fortress by accident before the end of the year)....there's a large lake in a cavern directly over the area I need to dig through. Unfortunately, we do not have a full view of this and so I don't know how large or deep it is. There is also at least one FB over the target area (I don't know the layout of demon fortresses, but if it can do so, it'll path into the fortress as soon as we crack the cavern OR the fort).

As a result, I've put our newest squad of recruits in place to get slaughtered, as well as some hammerdwarves who can actually do some damage. As soon as I can get everyone else off the surface, I'll be evacuating to the main fortress so I can bring all 6 squads into position.

Depending on the actual layout of the cavern over the fort, it may be impossible to enter without going through the caverns....which will mean cutting through a LOT of nasty stuff. Good times!

Edit: Also, I've driven even more dwarves to despair and madness. Don't worry though, they're mostly highly trained soldiers we can't afford to lose. :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:51:52 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 11, 2013, 04:16:10 pm »

Has anyone done the science on how the average FB fares in the circus?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 11, 2013, 05:52:01 pm »

Has anyone done the science on how the average FB fares in the circus?

If they haven't, then we'll be able to do so fairly soon. Assuming I don't crash the game or flood the lower fortress (I should probably stop work and build some flood doors, but eh.)

Final update will be later today, along with the save.

Edit: Started up the save, realised the military is starving to death...had to stand them down. I'll keep digging but I'll not be able to break into the fort myself. That's a job for someone else to tackle. The adamantine weapon in the fort is a short-sword according to the stocks/buildings screens. Depending on how we go about this (the smart way, or the AHAHAHAHAH ALL DIE way) that could be pretty useful if we give it to one of our better swordsdwarves (We have two candy swords ATM. McKiwi has one, and the head of the Dead Armors has the other.)

It's still autumn, and I've finally after two months managed to get the place locked down with everyone inside. Except a melancholy hunter.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:00:54 am by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 12, 2013, 03:59:41 am »

Ok, I am really seriously sorry (especially after promising I'd be finished today), but it's going to take one more day or so. I've had some stuff come up IRL and while FPS has improved, it's still poor. I know I'm over my timeslot, but I'm darned close now. And things have stopped killing our dwarves (for now)! And I'm getting those steel things made (although equipping them is proving difficult as heck)!

I'm at the end of "early winter", but I've only written the update as far as the beginning of Timber because "sod it, I'm tired". Tomorrow/day after, I'll get this darned thing out of the way and sent on to the next victim madman overseer.

2nd Sandstone

As the year goes by, this 'Dark Energy' thing keeps getting worst, according to old Udib. Now, I'm no engineer, but I'm a pretty dashing soldier......and while I can't fathom how this thing works, we can't go wrong if we smash it, right? So I'm having what miners the vampires haven't drained dry start digging a tunnel under where that 'Archwiseard' believed the stuff was coming from. Udib figures it's probably there. So we'll see. Trouble is, there's a dirty great lake in the way, and none of us can swim, let alone while wearing heavy armor. It's not going to be fun. To make matters worse, we've basically run out of living blacksmiths to make the new armor....I'm having to get a crash course in beating out breastplates to make up for lost time. Still, I figure things aren't going to get much better while we're sitting on a place of pure evil (although to be quite frank, I'm not sure how it can be worse than the main fortress). Might as well get my soldiers the equipment they need. In the meantime, I've drafted yet more civilians to replace the dwarves we've lost.....we can't keep this up though.

We've been having morale issues.....what with the death everywhere, rotting corpses and undead everywhere, and now this whole magic business....people are a tad edgy. When we closed the gates to seal off the fortress from the outside, one chap just wouldn't come in. He hasn't talked to anyone in ages, and keeps looking longingly at the lava moat.....it's sad, but if he doesn't want to come back, we're just going to have to leave him.

8th Sandstone

And....of course...it turns out some imbeciles decided to stay outside when the evacuation orders came in and now want to be let in. This messes up everything, but we can't afford to lose these people, and they haven't done anything wrong except be stupid. Still, at least no one is going outside now. Even better, from the terrible roars the miners working on the tunnel have been hearing, it sounds like we've got another ungodly horror waiting for the chance to kill us. One of the children took a look through a gap in a wall. Says it's made of mud. At least....we hope it's mud. Wouldn't be unfitting in this place to have us all get killed by a pile of excrement. Still.....I am a dashing swordsdwarf. And now I'm also a blacksmith, apparently. Don't know if any of my stuff is good enough to be called armor.....I haven't seen anything since I made it, and it's not getting to my soldiers. But I'll get through this....fighting four monstrosities at once is hardly sporting, but if it must be done, then I and my dwarves will do it.

19th Sandstone

From outside the walls, a cry rises on the wind...

"I'm very attached to this crossbow!"
"Jolly good! Do ye want to come in?"
"I hate life and everything living!"
"So tha's a nay?"
"Yes!"
"Alright lad! Give us a yell if ye change yer mind, right?"

Strange chap, that hunter.....Ah well. He's got some bolts. And that crossbow that'a apparently the only thing keeping him going in the world... If anything tries to attack us, he'll get to go out fighting. Poor sod doesn't look like he's planning on coming back to the fort alive. I've seen soldiers do this before...

Meanwhile, another of our archers is on the brink of death in the hospital because no one thinks he's worth feeding. Were I not as dashing and noble as I am, I'd have that imbecilic nurse 'Cutey' executed for the horrors she inflicts on her patients......and my soldiers...frankly, such an order would probably raise morale no end as well, given the history of our "healthcare" system. But alas, I am a dashing swordsdwarf, and such conduct is unbecoming....

20th Sandstone

It's started raining. The dried putrefying blood plastered over the whole Armok-blessed fortress starts to run everywhere. You can hardly walk through the main entranceway without falling over. Good thing people don't walk on the sides of the bridges.....

The smell is becoming really rather awful now. I'm not sure I can stand much more of it.

21st Sandstone

At last! We've found some of that equipment that I and the actual trained blacksmiths have been making! Steel breastplates and leggings! Just what we need. We don't have enough of them, and we certainly don't have all that I ordered, but when fermented blood is pouring down the staircase, the undead are screaming at you every time to go to use the 'john, there's ghosts and madmen everywhere and smoke's billowing out of the volcano from the loads of corpses we're dumping in twice a day.....you can't help but take joy in what you can. And there's nothing like a brand spanking new piece of steel armor, all shiny and clean and not covered in filth.

I've also had some aluminium coins made. We'll store a few of them down in the old bunker McKiwi II used for her necromancy. I''ll get them to tweak the stockpiles while we're at it...that old lass was good at siege engines and necromancy, but she had some pretty wierd eating habits! Nothing but barrel after barrel of syrup down there right now. And booze, obviously. Get some nice meat and mushrooms in there, and a squad could be stationed there all fine and dandy for a year or two.

25th Sandstone

We've cancelled the tunnelling project. It's just too dangerous to go that way. We need to take care of those monsters. Maybe come at it from another angle and snipe them from above.....or tap the volcano again and fill the cavern with lava. While that's hardly worked well in the past, it might work if we're careful.

At least the rain's stopped. Now the blood that hasn't washed away will dry and stop smelling quite so much. Unless it decides to get dusty again.....the dust is the worst, when it happens....

That dwarf came running up to me again babbling about another porcupine or rattlesnake or whatever going wild down in the cages. Chap seems a bit over-excited, if you ask me....still, I guess that's one way of coping with this place.

And a child that's apparently been scrabbling away down in the deep reaches of the fort today emerged with a rather nice willow figurine. Not very useful, but if it cheers people up, it's worth having around the place.

1st Timber

I've ordered the construction of upright spear traps in the lower parts of the fortress. That bunker my predecessor in name built is our best hope in a disaster, but it is not well defended.... I need flood doors, traps and remote-access systems installed to make it a truly safe place. With luck, we will never have to use it. At worst, we won't have time to use it. But it's worth the work to have a place to regroup in an emergency, no?

That poor soldier in the hospital died today. That "nurse" will face justice sooner or later for her outrageous dereliction of duty.

-----

Ok. The new corpse-dumper? I have no idea how to fix it. Nothing's worked, and I had to abandon work on it to get everything else sorted.

The armor? Doesn't seem to show up in the equipment tabs after it's made. I can't select the armor individually like I normally do, and have to go for "find *A* steel breastplate" rather than "equip this very nice masterwork one". Still, at least they're getting made. I think there may be a bug somewhere in here.

In terms of tunnelling to the demonic fortress....good luck. Seriously. There's at least 3 FBs in the lake right next to it, and getting to the fort will require either going through the cavern, going over/under it without hitting the lake OR the cavern.....or building some form of teleporter. If ever there was a good way to kill Moltenchannels (or at the very least, require the use of the Magma Cleanser).....this is it. And yes, we've got a mud monster. At least, we really hope it's mud.

I'm going to get some flak for this, given our record with magma weapons (what's that now....four failed/abandoned projects? Something like that.).....but pouring lava onto that lake may be the best way to kill the beasts and let us get to the demonic fortress. I'll take a look, see if there's anything that could be described as a "good" place to tap the volcano. I'm not even going to try it though....at this stage I'm focusing purely on "fix the military" and "get the traps and doors set up".

EDIT: Oh yes. I forgot. While it might appear that unfortunate things may be planned for Cutie for her ability to kill off roughly 50% of all hospital patients, I assure all readers, former overseers and incredibly negligent healthcare professionals that Cutie is not going to be executed. I do have some plans for her but they're strictly non-murdery.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:25:00 am by Urist McKiwi »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 12, 2013, 06:08:31 am »

"Wae ye be saying, yeh wee skallymite? If yeh dinnae like my medicine, then dinnae get hurt!"

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 12, 2013, 06:19:27 am »

"Wae ye be saying, yeh wee skallymite? If yeh dinnae like my medicine, then dinnae get hurt!"

"Quiet, or I'm putting you on corpse-hauling duty and replacing you with our butcher!"

Edit: Actually, corpse-hauling is a good solid profession around here. We've probably got some legendary Teeth Gatherers around the place.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 12, 2013, 07:16:48 am »

If the track is finished, then even if it's not my turn, I'll have a look at the save and see what's wrong with the new track.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 12, 2013, 09:28:31 am »

In terms of tunnelling to the demonic fortress....good luck. Seriously. There's at least 3 FBs in the lake right next to it, and getting to the fort will require either going through the cavern, going over/under it without hitting the lake OR the cavern.....or building some form of teleporter. If ever there was a good way to kill Moltenchannels (or at the very least, require the use of the Magma Cleanser).....this is it. And yes, we've got a mud monster. At least, we really hope it's mud.

You could just invade hell through the adamantine and then take the fort by surprise from underneath.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 12, 2013, 04:07:00 pm »

You could just invade hell through the adamantine and then take the fort by surprise from underneath.

It's sad to say, but this is possibly the safest option. I've never handled the clown car before though, so it'd probably end badly. Plus we still have those hatches in the lower levels that would doom the entire world if the demons escaped. I might try something though....since things are speeding up.
If the track is finished, then even if it's not my turn, I'll have a look at the save and see what's wrong with the new track.
That would be excellent. The lower stop, where it's supposed to pick up corpses, works fine. The stop at the far end of the track over the volcano is apparently not connected. Not sure how that works, since if it wasn't connected it would plummet into the volcano, spraying flaming mist over the map and causing our next semi-annual forest fire....there's probably a bad connection/missing ramp/small particle of dust jamming the tracks.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 12, 2013, 04:11:52 pm »

Forgotten beasts are no match for zombies, and zombie have hit points which makes them easy to whittle down with crossbows from afar. If I hadn't got overambitious and tried to break the siege early, no one actually needed to die on my turn. As it was, there were no military deaths until mid-winter.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 12, 2013, 06:41:53 pm »

Well, after that, things got interesting. I didn't say this last night because I wanted to have some fun (and, you know, narrative tension and all)....but there's what appears to be quite a bad bug in the way the military do things. If an item is outside the fortress (and forbidden) and the military want it, they'll ignore the fact it's forbidden until they get out there. Whereupon they will freeze and await pointy stabby death. Messing with our equipment settings might fix this, but eh, it's broken enough already.

So I decided to save time after about the third idiot (and her baby) got into trouble and just burned everyone to death. As you do.

To continue the update where I left off (I've changed McKiwi's writing color to make it easier to read. Put it down to advances in crappy-ink technology):

15th Timber

A caravan from the former mountainhome. Nice to see some friendly faces. Alas, a necromancer has arrived, and several of our dwarves have fallen. I'll order the military to stand guard and get everyone into the fortress.

Spoiler: It Begins (click to show/hide)

20th Timber

Another siege. This time it's the humans. Some chap rode up to the wall and shouted "Begone ye foul demons who blight this fair land!". The watchdwarf tried to explain that we're actually rather friendly, also not demons. Sadly, he didn't hear us. It would appear that our outward appearance is that of some kind of twisted evil monstrosity. And my new soldiers are complete idiots. Every time I order them to arms, they run out of the fortress looking for some piece of scrap or weapon or anything that means they can wander out alone and get killed. We've lost 4 already! All the stuff out there has been off limits for months, if not years. There is no reason at all for them to go out, and I have no compunction at all about using the Shroud with them out there. Poor discipline in the ranks will NOT BE TOLERATED!

1st Moonstone

The lever has been pulled. The last of our foolish strays is hiding under the northeast tower. Stuck between the undead to the south....and the humans to the west. If she survives, I'll be happy....but the fortress comes first. And the Shroud is the only way to defeat these two threats at once.

5th Moonstone

The Shroud of Armok grinds its way to life and floods the area with magma. Most of it still goes into our moat, but with the modifications I ordered, the excess should drain into the volcano over time, and the moat is large enough to act as a "sink" for the time being. The forest has caught fire, as always.....and the humans have panicked. WIth luck, the fire will drive them into the undead, and they'll slaughter each other while our archers pick them off from the towers.

Of course, that woman and her baby are in between them. But even one as dashing as I can't help them now. She chose to run out into danger, and if anything happens it will be on her head, not mine.

7th Moonstone

The land is well ablaze from the firing of the Shroud of Armok. While I am sad we could not make it more effective....it is effective enough for now. The humans are running scared now. Heading south.....with means our archers won't be able to hit them, but on the other hand, they also won't be driven past that trapped mother and her child.....the marksdwarves say they can hear the crying from the towers. We will have to try to keep them alive, if possible.

I've ordered the Shroud shut down. It has served its purpose well, and now we need to let the drainage system clean up the pressure backlog, and give the fires time to work their own kind of magic.

8th Moonstone

The would-be heroes besieging us ran into one of the undead as they fled the fires of Armok. One of them punched its head clean off, and they kept going. With their animals, they're faster than the flames.....which is good, in a way. Allowing them to leave with their lives might be beneficial....if they can bring more open-minded heroes, perhaps we can strike an alliance against the source of this "Dark energy" which blights us?

10th Moonstone

Udib informs me that the merchants wish to leave soon, and that he has secured some armor and steel items in exchange for our finished goods. Excellent. I met with them and informed them that as soon as we have cleared the invaders from our gates, they will be free to leave. Alas, this is unlikely to happen particularly soon. Still, once the fires take their toll, we can open the gates and we in the military can go about our dashing business.

12th Moonstone

The fire has burned out. The humans have escaped. We must find another way to take care of them. I am ordering the trap corridor drawbridge opened, and the melee soldiers put on guard. This will be a true battle to be remembered. We charge for the glory of Moltenchannels!

Spoiler: This can only end well (click to show/hide)

13th Moonstone

An almighty bloodbath. The fresh recruits didn't last long, for the most part. As I chased their leader into the burned wastes, a fresh fire sparked on the battlefield, killing friend and foe alike. THe order to retreat was eventually given. One of my squad is trapped south of the bridge, under attack by the undead. If we can get past the fire, we will try to help. I myself am trapped between the two fires. Not much I can do now except wait until I can return to the fortress.....then learn how many have been lost.

------

At this stage, the ONE recruit who got past the fire to help the trapped marksdwarf decided 'I SHALL GO AND PICK UP THIS FORBIDDEN THING RIGHT NEXT TO THE ZOMBIE ARMY!" and died. Wow. I honestly cannot say how stupid our conscripts are these days. So I ordered in EVERYONE. And that brings us to the end of where I've played to, the 16th of Moonstone. A third of the fortress has died in the year so far, our military is shattered AND prone to buggy suicides, and we're currently fighting a battle while on fire. I might be able to save the royal marksdwarf though....they're unconscious and being scratched to death by a zombie, but I did just order the entire military to charge that one zombie through the flames.

Stay tuned next time for another exciting episode of "Moltenchannels: What the F**K are we doing here?!"

Edit: Now with goretastic screenshots! BTW: Anyone know why spoiler tags close off existing formatting? Redoing the color codes was really annoying.
Edit2: Ok, the new plan is to use marksdwarves to try to take out that one zombie, then retreat back into the fort. This place already looks uncannily like some of the more unpleasant parts of the First World War without some moustachioed general ordering troops to charge to their deaths to gain half an inch of ground. Besides, I don't have a moustache so I don't think I could pull that off properly. I'll see about getting the marksdwarves on top of the walls once the gate is shut. The surviving ones, anyway. Actual final update tomorrow, along with the save. I've got a good feeling that I might be able to keep total deaths this year to under 60.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:32:49 am by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 13, 2013, 11:11:09 am »

The reason we are not having many migrants is because of the large unit count (total). It is not actually disabled by clearing the units list. We may need to use DFhack to disable the relevant flags, but how?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 13, 2013, 08:36:48 pm »

The reason we are not having many migrants is because of the large unit count (total). It is not actually disabled by clearing the units list. We may need to use DFhack to disable the relevant flags, but how?

Might be worth DLing a copy of the save when I've finished it (still working on it right now) and screwing around with DFhack while The Master is running the show. With enough trial and error, it might be possible to find something. I suppose it depends on how DF handles units.

Personally, I've never even looked into hacking DF in the past, but anything's worth a shot at this stage....we've lost 50-60 dwarves this year and gained about 10, only 2 of which were adults. We're not going to be able to have massive bloodbaths for much longer (Ardentdikes got down to 3 dwarves at one stage before migrants saved it.....we can't do that unless we want to have the single most inbred population EVER, and spend 40 years breeding our way back to health).

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 13, 2013, 08:44:43 pm »

Might be worth DLing a copy of the save when I've finished it (still working on it right now) and screwing around with DFhack while The Master is running the show. With enough trial and error, it might be possible to find something. I suppose it depends on how DF handles units.

Personally, I've never even looked into hacking DF in the past, but anything's worth a shot at this stage....we've lost 50-60 dwarves this year and gained about 10, only 2 of which were adults. We're not going to be able to have massive bloodbaths for much longer (Ardentdikes got down to 3 dwarves at one stage before migrants saved it.....we can't do that unless we want to have the single most inbred population EVER, and spend 40 years breeding our way back to health).

I brought it up in the DFhack thread a while ago, but I think we need more focus on the subject. One other thing we need, of course, is a way to make dwarves clean up areas by creating our own designation tool.

The forced migration wave decline needs to be totally shut off. That's not the migration wave decline because too many dwarves were run over by minecarts, or the migration wave decline because half the population was outside cleaning up when a siege hit. This means we need to be getting as many migrants as a fortress in the same situation but with a total unit list of under 1000 would be getting.

The trouble is unless we can switch off this decline, the fort will die off simply because of bugs in the game.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 100