Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385891 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Very interesting fort and history here! I really love the location and how unsafe it is.
Zombies, forgotten beasts, fire, and zombie forgotten beasts on fire: it's got it all!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very interesting fort and history here! I really love the location and how unsafe it is.
Zombies, forgotten beasts, fire, and zombie forgotten beasts on fire: it's got it all!

I'm not sure "unsafe" entirely describes how wonderful this place is to live in.....

It's technically CaptainArchmage's turn, but he hasn't showed up for....about a week. Probably safe to skip.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:16:27 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I'm occupied at the moment with Sparkgear XIV (24 hour turn), but I could do about six months (FPS is dropping very low) on Moltenchannels by the end of the week.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

People that say good biomes are too peaceful should be linked here. :P

Capt has had two turns in the mainline since Triaxx2's last one, so it's fair to skip.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:04:21 pm by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then I'll go ahead with it in the morning.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

People that say good biomes are too peaceful should be linked here. :P

Let's be honest........anywhere in a Dwarf Fortress world is comparatively peaceful until dwarves turn up.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, through some cruel twist of fate, I'm overseer again. Since I spent someone else's entire tenure in a fever dream, I suppose it's fitting. My first order of business is to put the new minecart track in action. Of course, they keep getting interrupted by undead who can't get near them.

And someone is apparently watching the forgotten beast composed of flames in the caverns, and it's fighting some elf corpses. I'm not going to question why there are elf corpses down there. Corpses are what elves should be. I do wonder why they're alive or rather undead, since it's more or less impossible for a necromancer to get down there.

I ordered walls put up to block the lines of sight to the undead, but of course they have to go up there to put the walls up and get scared. ARGH. Fortunately, a lucky shot from a magma imp drives them off with a fire. Or at least blocks the line of sight, so they're able to finish the construction.

We've got a bad case of ghosts, so I've dug out a new area off the main workshops and designated a mason's workshop and craftsdwarf's workshop to churn out slabs and engrave them.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WOOOOOOOO first forest fire of the year, and you're only a week or so in.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I completed the rest of the month and it took about three hours. I didn't realize the FPS was this bad. One thing I didn't mention was I ordered all the trees growing in the fort chopped down. I suspect that's causing some of the pathing issues. Hopefully removing them will alleviate the issue.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I completed the rest of the month and it took about three hours. I didn't realize the FPS was this bad. One thing I didn't mention was I ordered all the trees growing in the fort chopped down. I suspect that's causing some of the pathing issues. Hopefully removing them will alleviate the issue.

That sounds like the fort will need to be retired quite soon, and a new one begun. I think we should call it Helldikes.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. This was why I made a push for the demonic fortress.....it's our best hope for a wonderful brutal end to this fort. We've been a little lax on the "McDuck breaks out of hell and takes his revenge on the multiverse" front, although through no fault of our own. All that death and fire and stuff.

Of course, getting to the demonic fort is really darned tricky. At this stage, I suggest the least subtle method possible: dump magma into the cavern over the top of it to kill the FBs, then dump a lake on top of that to create an obsidian layer we can mine through to get there safely. And kill anything else that's down there.

Yes, this will get our FPS down to crazy levels, but frankly at this stage it doesn't matter whether a month takes an extra hour to clunk through*.

* I recently started my own fort after finishing up on my turn....I'd forgotten just how fast the game is when the map isn't covered in liquids and blood and fire and death and socks and stuff.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:45:17 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No need. I examined the fort and all that's left is a two by two plug over a two by two hole in the adamantine. I suspect that the moment that plug is opened, we'll need the Shroud.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've officially decided to abandon the grand reactor. I've been told it'd be possible to fill it with the power generated by the current reactors, running the water lift, but that the reactor itself is too large to run properly.

Having admitted defeat, I've considered filling it in, but decided that perhaps someone else can make use of it.

On the 18th of Felsite, an ambush arrives in the east, of goblin corpses lead by a dwarf corpse, but as those in the west, they're stymied by our great walls. If we had fortifications, I'd let the military amuse themselves shooting, but we do not. I'd let them stride out and strike, but I still am unable to locate the lever control.

That's all the interesting things until summer is upon us.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the 18th of Felsite, an ambush arrives in the east, of goblin corpses lead by a dwarf corpse, but as those in the west, they're stymied by our great walls. If we had fortifications, I'd let the military amuse themselves shooting, but we do not. I'd let them stride out and strike, but I still am unable to locate the lever control.

I would NOT advise the use of the military against undead. They're not in any shape to do it, and the melee guys will just get slaughtered. Again. Better to conscript some masons and build another tower on the west so we can use archers on that side. On the eastern side, the two towers near the gates will let you shoot down some of them at least, especially if you add another floor or two. There's also McDonald's tower right at the north of the fortress which I used to pick off the eastern undead previously. Sending the main militia force will just result in us losing more dwarves we can't afford to lose.

...The current drawbridge controls are on the surface courtyard. On the notes screen my levers are denoted by a red exclamation mark on a purple square (or possibly vice-versa), and you're looking for a cluster of 4 of them...each one is individually labelled. The eastern entrance has two sets of bridges, both of which need to be open in order to have access. Again, however, I really, really, really wouldn't advise it....we lost a lot of militiadwarves trying to take on undead in melee during my turn, and the average skill of the military has gone down since then.

One solution I'd suggest: Post a marksdwarf squad in each of the two gateway towers (southern one may not be good enough for archers. In that case, put two melee squads in there as backup just in case, and put all marksdwarves in the northern tower). Pull BOTH levers inside the ground floors of said towers to seal them off. Evacuate all civilians to the main fortress and raise the bridge across the moat (part of the same lever cluster). Then set the "crusher" lever to repeat, and open the bridge in the outer wall.

.....If it works, the undead will surge into the fortress to go kill some tables and stuff (might be worth building a couple for them to smash beforehand), and the crusher will smash them while the marksdwarves pick off any stragglers. Remember to turn off the crusher and close the outer gate before allowing any dwarves back in/out of their siege positions.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would NOT advise the use of the military against undead. They're not in any shape to do it, and the melee guys will just get slaughtered. Again. Better to conscript some masons and build another tower on the west so we can use archers on that side. On the eastern side, the two towers near the gates will let you shoot down some of them at least, especially if you add another floor or two. There's also McDonald's tower right at the north of the fortress which I used to pick off the eastern undead previously. Sending the main militia force will just result in us losing more dwarves we can't afford to lose.

...The current drawbridge controls are on the surface courtyard. On the notes screen my levers are denoted by a red exclamation mark on a purple square (or possibly vice-versa), and you're looking for a cluster of 4 of them...each one is individually labelled. The eastern entrance has two sets of bridges, both of which need to be open in order to have access. Again, however, I really, really, really wouldn't advise it....we lost a lot of militiadwarves trying to take on undead in melee during my turn, and the average skill of the military has gone down since then.

One solution I'd suggest: Post a marksdwarf squad in each of the two gateway towers (southern one may not be good enough for archers. In that case, put two melee squads in there as backup just in case, and put all marksdwarves in the northern tower). Pull BOTH levers inside the ground floors of said towers to seal them off. Evacuate all civilians to the main fortress and raise the bridge across the moat (part of the same lever cluster). Then set the "crusher" lever to repeat, and open the bridge in the outer wall.

.....If it works, the undead will surge into the fortress to go kill some tables and stuff (might be worth building a couple for them to smash beforehand), and the crusher will smash them while the marksdwarves pick off any stragglers. Remember to turn off the crusher and close the outer gate before allowing any dwarves back in/out of their siege positions.

Sending the military charging out to fight the undead or fight goblins is a very bad idea. I don't think we should do it, especially because we can't get any more replacement population due to the migration bug.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 100