Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383862 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neither way will help since these guys are hiding around the southern corner of that expansion wall in the east, so even if I did erect a tower to shoot from, the moment the builders go up on the second floor, they'll run in fear of the undead.

We are, or were at least shooting from OldMcDonald's tower, at the western undead, who are just below the volcano. I'm not sure if it's A) still going on after the smoke obscured them temporarily, and B) if it's doing any good. We're still listed as under siege so...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. How's the undergrowth around the fort going? You could fire up the Shroud of Armok (control lever in New Townsbrush) and set the place on fire to try taking out the resident necromancer/s (there was at least one with the bunch of undead that arrived during my turn). Admittedly, that probably won't help, but it can't do much harm either, right? Being attacked by burning zombies isn't that much worse than the regular kind.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks okay except for the area west the imps shot at. Personally I think you just want to see the shroud in action. ;) Don't worry, so do I. I might even remember to screen shot it.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks okay except for the area west the imps shot at. Personally I think you just want to see the shroud in action. ;) Don't worry, so do I. I might even remember to screen shot it.

I've seen it in action. Twice. That's why my suggestion is more "it probably won't cause much more harm" rather than "IT WILL KILL EVERYTHING". It's an annoying weapon at best, but it probably can't kill us more than the zombies can (just watch the level of magma in the moat).

Besides, you're behind on your forest fire quota. We have a reputation to maintain here.

Edit: And it's when I'm re-reading this at 11:20PM with no glasses that I notice I've misspelled "quota". I am a literary genius.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:22:22 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which is why I wanted to pull from the magma sea, instead of the volcano, but never got dug down that far.

And DF just crashed. I'm not entirely sure what happened though. No matter.

Save's fine, so I'm going to fire the shroud.

---

On third Hematite, I've given orders to pulse the shroud. Lucky turned out to be the volunteer who got the call. By pulsing the Shroud, we start a fire which will hurt the undead, and yet we don't drain the moat. Humorously, I get a report of a Kobold Thief who's shown up. In the midst of the undead to the west...

I some how doubt he will be too much of an issue. Nor will the one who pops up in the same spot on the 7th. Both get shredded by the horde moments. It's fascinating and terrible all at once.

Speaking of Terrible, the Shroud is worthless. Once fired, it proceeded to resist being UN-fired, and then started only small fires. I have to say, I am less than impressed with it.

With the month only half-over, I decide to take a rest. I can't take much more at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:59:12 am by Triaxx2 »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That image isn't working for me, could you chuck it up in embedding?

Sometimes the shroud needs a while to find something it can ignite. Generally speaking, you want to run it for at least an ingame week, possibly two. As long as you keep an eye on the level of magma in the moat, it's fairly safe. That said, if the undergrowth isn't thick enough, you'll never get it to light up the landscape.

Really, we need alternative firing points on the west and east of the fort.....and some kind of wall/embankment to channel the northern outfall across the landscape, rather than into the moat. Alas, the first part of that would require the system to be drained during the work, then refilled.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Which is why I wanted to pull from the magma sea, instead of the volcano, but never got dug down that far.

And DF just crashed. I'm not entirely sure what happened though. No matter.

Save's fine, so I'm going to fire the shroud.

---

On third Hematite, I've given orders to pulse the shroud. Lucky turned out to be the volunteer who got the call. By pulsing the Shroud, we start a fire which will hurt the undead, and yet we don't drain the moat. Humorously, I get a report of a Kobold Thief who's shown up. In the midst of the undead to the west...

I some how doubt he will be too much of an issue. Nor will the one who pops up in the same spot on the 7th. Both get shredded by the horde moments. It's fascinating and terrible all at once.

Speaking of Terrible, the Shroud is worthless. Once fired, it proceeded to resist being UN-fired, and then started only small fires.

I have to say, I am less than impressed with it.

With the month only half-over, I decide to take a rest. I can't take much more at the moment.

Fixed the formatting for you.

That image isn't working for me, could you chuck it up in embedding?

Sometimes the shroud needs a while to find something it can ignite. Generally speaking, you want to run it for at least an ingame week, possibly two. As long as you keep an eye on the level of magma in the moat, it's fairly safe. That said, if the undergrowth isn't thick enough, you'll never get it to light up the landscape.

Really, we need alternative firing points on the west and east of the fort.....and some kind of wall/embankment to channel the northern outfall across the landscape, rather than into the moat. Alas, the first part of that would require the system to be drained during the work, then refilled.

What you are referring to would be like an orbital magma delivery system. That's going to require a lot of masons and marksdwarves.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What you are referring to would be like an orbital magma delivery system. That's going to require a lot of masons and marksdwarves.
Yes. Yes it is. However, a lot of dwarves have masonry enabled from NotQuiteThere and I's tower construction efforts. And we've got at least 1.5 archer squads.

Looking at that screenshot, I am sad to say that there's no way in hell that we're going to be able to burn the undead. The undergrowth hasn't recovered from the earlier fires and it'll be....ooh....about 6-12 months until another magma-strike is viable with the current weapon. The current fires *might* do some damage though, if we're lucky. Towers and archers are probably the best short-term solution at this point.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Yes. Yes it is. However, a lot of dwarves have masonry enabled from NotQuiteThere and I's tower construction efforts. And we've got at least 1.5 archer squads.

Looking at that screenshot, I am sad to say that there's no way in hell that we're going to be able to burn the undead. The undergrowth hasn't recovered from the earlier fires and it'll be....ooh....about 6-12 months until another magma-strike is viable with the current weapon. The current fires *might* do some damage though, if we're lucky. Towers and archers are probably the best short-term solution at this point.

You do know undead don't burn to death? You just end up with eternally burning undead. The only advantage is if you manage to kill them whilst they are on fire (usually requires marksdwarves), the remains burn up and don't come back.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was sort of the point,but yeah, that's after all the fires had burned out. They went about twenty tiles then just died. And until the undead go away, we can't build anything high enough for them to be seen, because it causes the dwarves to suspend all construction.

Personally, if we could get up there for more than two steps, I'd designate the top as a pond, and obsidianize the magma in there, then mine it out while the rest of the sections are being constructed.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Minecart Mysteries - OVERSEERS NEEDED (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #850 on: September 01, 2013, 05:55:53 pm »

Hmm. It might be possible to get some construction done...I managed to build the gateway tower while the undead were around there.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 03, 2013, 09:32:42 pm »

Overseers Log, Supplemental: One month later, still stalemated. We seem to be having a lot of animals going feral on us. I must investigate this to see where our animal trainers have gone. I have a sneaking suspicion that they're now part of the opposition.

I'm going to attempt to create mini-shrouds. They will draw from the moat, which hopefully can be filled more fully using pumps around the volcano and windmills. I'm unsure if there will be sufficient lava in the volcano for the task, but it must be attempted. The Undead cannot be allowed to take this fortress.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 06, 2013, 03:19:47 am »

At a pinch, you can boost moat levels by operating the main Shroud. Obviously, it can't run forever and it takes a long time to spread that pressure through the system....but it's an option.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 06, 2013, 06:11:47 am »

I noticed that.

---

Construction on the southern cannon moves quickly. The only minor problem is that the workers are having trouble finishing a few spots. It seems that trees do not block line of sight. The priming pump is ready, just have to build up a windmill to power it. That'll have to wait for fall it seems though.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 09, 2013, 08:40:29 am »

The southern cannon is now almost complete, all that remains is to construct the pump to lift the magma over the wall, and a power source for it. I'll be using windmills if I can, since they're relatively cheap and fairly reliable.

On the other hand, we have a problem. The ghosts haunting the area are not being satisfied by the slabs memorializing them and are remaining even after they've been carved and erected. I am unsure what to do about this state of affairs, other than leave it for later minds.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 100