Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386221 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Minecart Mysteries - OVERSEERS NEEDED (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #870 on: September 19, 2013, 07:15:39 am »

Would you like me to take another turn?

Added.

Udib recommends hardening the fortress' defenses and locating the underground evil leak which is attracting the invaders. If the sieging forces overrun Moltenchannels, the dwarves can make a last dash to re-seal the otherworld.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Minecart Mysteries - OVERSEERS NEEDED (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #871 on: September 19, 2013, 07:24:30 am »

Yeah, good luck with that. It's not an easy job getting to that demonic fortress, and my attempt failed miserably....the only practical way would be to flood that cave with magma, then obsidianise it so we've got something to dig through without having to cut a path through half a dozen forgotten beasts.
....oooooooor.....we could spend some time trying to work out a "safer" way. We still haven't actually "found" the fortress. We know exactly where it is, but we don't know the terrain. If we can construct a system that will allow us to lower Noted Explorer Urist McKitten down into the caves (or just spam 40 more of his comrades with him and have them splat on the floor. Oooooor construct a drawbridge next to the stairwell that will fling him at ludicrous speeds through the air, mapping out vast swathes of cavern before his sudden and hilarious tragic demise. This might require some !!SCIENCE!! to determine whether live kittens can be flung through fortifications.) without letting flying FBs into the fort....we might find a way to get into that place without having to go through the cavern.

Edit: Or we could do it the boring way and just pipe/bucket water down to the magma sea to cast obsidian around a spire and then dig down through it. That'd work as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:29:32 am by Urist McKiwi »

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Burning Zombie - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #872 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:02 pm »

We do have a magma vent, right?

If we need to obsidianize the entrance... why not just drill a hole in the side?

All we need to do afterwards is to collapse the connecting pipe, then flood the area with water.

Do we have a river or aquifer?

If we have an aquifer, we could always just collapse a section of it to block the entrance to the circus tent with perpetual water generation.

Or, we could use the kitten explorer theory, locking as many cats into the caverns as we can, and just have them explore everything for us.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 19, 2013, 05:05:52 pm »

We have a neither. We only have underground lakes.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 19, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »

Ok, let's see. I'm running on memory because no one's made a map of that area....

That area is close to the magma pipe for the volcano. That's excellent. We have a main stairwell (Do NOT let FB's in there) north of the fortress.....heading south from there you only have to dig through 1 tile to get into the cave, where there's a little plain/shelf/mushroomy bit. Then an underground lake with like 4 FBs in and around it....then the rest of the cave continues off towards the fort and we don't know anything beyond that. We haven't sent anyone in there to properly scout it out.

The lake is the main obstacle. it stopped my tunnel because I was afraid of accidentally breaching it (which would destroy the lower fortress. At least)...and it prevents non-aquatic/amphibious/nonbreathing lifeforms from getting across easily. THe forgotten beasts CAN get through that water, so just opening up the stairwell isn't a good idea....the FBs will arrive before we can do anything, and they'll smash us.

So if we're using Urist McKitten, we need to get him to the other side of the lake somehow, whether by dropping him down or flinging him across. obviously I prefer the latter because it's more hilarious, but either would work.

We also don't know how big that lake is. It might be possible to drain it or use it to cast obsidian, but I wouldn't count on it.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 20, 2013, 07:15:18 pm »

Moltenchannels: Now with CatZooka.

Seriously, we should see if it's possible to get an uncaged cat into a minecart. If not, we could set up for skipping and send some brave dorf-naut along to free the cat.

Now I want to build a fortress where skipping across a moat in a minecart is the only way to access it.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 22, 2013, 08:27:43 pm »

So...who's turn is it anyway?

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 22, 2013, 08:46:44 pm »

Captainarchmage. If he can't go, I'm next in line
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 22, 2013, 10:19:22 pm »

I'll see what I can do. I may end up doing a half-year if it goes too slowly.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 23, 2013, 02:09:40 am »

I'll see what I can do. I may end up doing a half-year if it goes too slowly.

Almost certainly no fuss if you need more time. Heck, I delayed like three times on my last turn because of framerate (and before anyone asks, no I'm not taking another turn until my exams are out of the way in October). As long as you update lots (which....hasn't exactly been a problem before) and keep the story going.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 23, 2013, 02:05:39 pm »

Owing to the dwindling space on my hard disk, I will not be keeping backups. However, I may upload a backup every two months to DFFD for safety.

Downloading the save file from DFFD tells me not everyone is using super-fast fiber-optic internet yet.

A preliminary look at the fortress tells me that it is a good idea to build tombs for my dwarves, since every time I have returned to the game, I find my previous character interred in one of them.

There are a large number of exploratory tunnels, including one leading don to near where the forgotten beast made of fire once resided. There are a lot of dead dwarves in that area. W.T.F.

The nice platinum bridge I built at the entrance has been replaced by an aluminium bridge, which is not magma safe. What happened to the platinum bridge?!

We now have bridges made out of coal, dacite, and all kinds of material that are either not magma safe, or even highly flammable. I don't know whether I can change this during my reign.

On that note, does anyone mind if I hack in a new King or Duke?

Edit: I just found a script in DFhack to replace the King. Finally. Is there one for the baron, duke, or count?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:25:01 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 23, 2013, 02:39:04 pm »

The nobility system is broken. Call it a coup and hack in a new king. It's not like it's gonna change any actual gameplay (other than removing a hard-working dwarf from their enviornment, and cursing him with nobility).

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 23, 2013, 03:59:11 pm »

The nobility system is broken. Call it a coup and hack in a new king. It's not like it's gonna change any actual gameplay (other than removing a hard-working dwarf from their enviornment, and cursing him with nobility).

The nobility do all the jobs normal dwarves do, unless they are on military duty. The vampire queen, for example, did hauling jobs and even some forging jobs while she was around.

I will carve out a palace for the future monarch and the new duke, and hack 'em in.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 23, 2013, 05:23:51 pm »

The nice platinum bridge I built at the entrance has been replaced by an aluminium bridge, which is not magma safe. What happened to the platinum bridge?!

I dismantled it because you didn't have any marked levers for it (that I could find), and I needed to be able to operate it without having duplicates around (I did ask like 4 times about entrance levers before doing that). And the dwarves have a nasty habit of "oh hey, let's not build this bridge out of *material on the ground* because there's *material on the ground* in the way!" type cancellations when you try a simple destroy-and-replace. I honestly did *try* to get a magma-safe replacement in, but it was cancelled about 8 times in a row through various issues and in the end I just had to find something they'd actually build things with. Check the second row of bridges (The Crusher) and see if those are magma safe...I can't remember what I built them out of.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:26:43 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:55 am »

Fool! That's not how you do it. You flip all levers until something does what you want. Then deal with the consequences.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 100