Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385810 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Burning Zombie - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #885 on: September 24, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 1st Granite 1097

Yesterday, the mark of the Archwiseards appeared on my right arm. There was a new year party on, and when the mark appeared the dwarf in charge of the fortress told me that he's quitting and I'm going to be running the fortress for the next period of time. To say that I am qualified for such a role is an overstatement. I am but a humble peasant, 20 years of age, who moved into this fortress with father.

Did I say this fortress isn't exactly a simple fortress? We are the fucking Mountainhome. The Queen, who was also a vampire, apparently moved on to the next world and no remains were ever found. This place is now 16 years old, and a mess of forgotten hallways and abandoned buildings. In the last year or two, the middle caverns got flooded with water, then magma, and finally undead. I can't remember the exact order, but there are some undead roaming the place whilst on fire. I've spotted a floored over stairway going down there, and reports suggest there are some dead dwarves down there. There is even a live unicorn in one of the fucking tombs.

The upper caverns were abandoned after many forgotten beasts arrived. There is another staircase going down there, but it looks like it was walled off at the top. I don't know who designed that. The depths of Moltenchannels have a road exit, but that has not been knocked down. I've heard there is some kind of structure down there not built by dwarves, but it has not been investigated yet. We'll have to deal with the huge spider down there first.

One of the hospitals on the surface got shut down because of some deadly forgotten beast contamination. Yuck. There are still dwarves living above the hospital! It is a is a disgrace.

The surface is a mess of abandoned or unfinished towers, and lava-based weapon systems. Only one lava weapon is currently active, and has two modes: Flood the fortress, burn the outside, or drain the lava into the pasture.

We even have some miserable hammerdwarves. The only dwarves on the verge of going berserk seem to be those armed with dangerous weapons. Something has to be done about those guys before they snap.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:38:48 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 25, 2013, 01:30:05 am »

Nearly beserk....armed with dangerous weapons.....

....Cutey's taken over the squad, hasn't she?

Oh, and that stairwell to the depths? Make sure it IS floored over, rather than just "opens into a trench". Because I never floored over it, but I did make it impossible for non-flyers to get through it.

You can also blame me for the unicorn. I accidentally released a bunch (I still don't know how to transport caged animals without the dwarves releasing them..) and Urist McKiwi III missed that one after scratching her leg. It's a fitting tribute to our management of the fortress.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 25, 2013, 04:26:25 am »

Nearly beserk....armed with dangerous weapons.....

....Cutey's taken over the squad, hasn't she?
Och, it's what I call pre-emptive surgery...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 25, 2013, 03:30:34 pm »

Cutey is not actually in one of those squads. The real reason the hammerdwarf is so unhappy is because of worn clothing and long patrol duty.

Do you want me to mod unicorns to be exotic pets, and produce milk? It just involves a few minor changes to the raws.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 25, 2013, 05:05:42 pm »

Cutey is not actually in one of those squads. The real reason the hammerdwarf is so unhappy is because of worn clothing and long patrol duty.

Do you want me to mod unicorns to be exotic pets, and produce milk? It just involves a few minor changes to the raws.

Eh, it's more fun to have them wandering around the place.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 25, 2013, 07:07:24 pm »

I checked, and the staircase down to the mid-caverns is floored over. However, there is a channeled-out area of soil that is open to a pit of lava. The lava must have got in there when the shroud of armok was fired. Still, it is open to the sky, and it is possible to fly from the mid-caverns into the outside world.

I've found that the Vampire Queen's last surviving bodypart was buried, which happened to be the thumb from her left hand. That is all that is left. Note to self: check the bodyparts list in the future just in case the remains come in multiple pieces.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 25, 2013, 07:18:10 pm »

Hehe, it's nice to feel responsible for the flaming undead in the middle caverns. I think it adds to the dungeon-full-of-monsters appeal any good fortress should have.

Cutey is not actually in one of those squads.
Thankfully, she's probably relaxing in her luxurious room above the hospital...
One of the hospitals on the surface got shut down because of some deadly forgotten beast contamination. Yuck. There are still dwarves living above the hospital! It is a is a disgrace.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 25, 2013, 11:29:39 pm »

Yeah, I initially intended for the shroud to flood the caverns with magma when it fired. I messed it up though.

And in terms of our dungeon feeling...well...we've already managed to score a TPK on a party of noble adventurers, courtesy of Urist McKiwi III and the malevolent influences of Urist McDuck.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:50 pm »

Journal of Captain Archmage III, still 1st Granite, 1097

I did a better survey of the fortress, and found the sole surviving piece of the monarch is the thumb from her left hand. I heard something about the Vampire Queen going missing, but it was this bad? What the fuck happened? The fortress looks like a bigger mess from afar. There are workshops all over the place, mostly churning out stone blocks, but there is little transportation for the materials. We are at no immediate threat of attack unless the gates are opened or we open up the caverns again, and the threat from aboveground comes from a few undead. I hope we can eliminate them so we can clean up the aboveground area. If this fortress is the Mountainhome, we need to re-establish our position as the capitol before the situation gets worse.

I've issued the orders to get things going.

Citizens of Moltenchannels, the old "hospital" sited upon the surface is to be sealed from until such day as it is purged of its filthy contents.

I found all squads were ordered to be training and so on throughout the year. I've taken them off-duty at least for this month. I expect to do something about the scheduling, but we need some hard rest time from military duty (which can be better used to get this place running again).

I FONDLES A WOOD WALLS OVEUR AN FUCKING LAVA MOAT! In other words, someone clearly doesn't understand the meanings of "flammable", "furnace", "magma", "hot", and "dangerous". Take that shit down. Why the fuck do we need wood floors when we have so much stone anyway?

I've ordered most of the fortifications to be taken down. They don't have any walkable space on top, and expose large areas of the fortress. Before we have siege weapons shooting outwards, I want to have proper placements.

The dwarven caravan is to be let out through the cavern exit. No really, the fortress was completely sealed off!

For some wretched reason, there are no mining or engraving jobs scheduled. Seriously? I'm ordering mining works starting NOW.

A lot of animals have been left out of pastures, and some of actually starved to death. Those animals are going to be put back in pastures before we lose any more. This is a fucking disgrace.

Finally, we need some more items of clothing. I've ordered some clothe -FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU WHYARECLOTHIERSSCHEDULEDFORENGRAVINGANDMASONRY?!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:12:00 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 26, 2013, 10:27:04 pm »

Dwarven building planks are immune to nuclear weapons, they can handle a little fire and magma. Although if you're going to take them down, I'd advise replacing them with stone walls so that walkway isn't completely exposed to arrowfire during sieges.

Another thing that might be worthwhile when you work on scheduling is to see how much steel armor we've got. I'm sure there's enough to equip our best dwarves.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 26, 2013, 10:43:00 pm »

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 2nd Granite, 1097

Day two, Day 2, Day II, The Second Day; whatever you want to call it, it is my second day running the Mountainhomes. I assigned a lot of jobs to our dwarves yesterday, and I did not expect all of them to be done. Most dwarves, including the miners and engravers, decided to help get rid of the constructions instead of carving out the new plumbing system, even though only one dwarf would be required to begin the process, but at least the constructions are being dismantled.

Our clothiers have finally gotten to work making the clothing we need. The shoes will be handled by our leatherworkers instead, but they are busy "getting provisions".

This is what has been made so far. This shirt is valued at 452, which is pretty good. The cloth itself was purchased from the dwarven caravan, and was not very well done but the work done by our dwarves here at Moltenchannels is far superior.

While I was checking out the jobs list, I found a gem setter hauling a minecart from the volcano dump back to the dump. Normally, the cart should have been guided, but when I enquired, it was because I made some changes to the minecart orders and the system was being re-set. I had also examined the orders for the non-functional track, but I did not find anything wrong there. However, when I climbed up the track to see what was going on, I found out why the second track hit the buffers:

The ramp only has tracks running north up the slope, and they do not join the track to the south. This means the track stop at the dump point is disconnected from the stop at the stockpile, which is why nobody would operate the system. Apparently, at least two of the dwarves in charge of the fortress tried to find out what was wrong, but didn't notice the error in the designs. I heard a lot about it over the last year or two. Seriously? The problem is right there, and I have underlined it for your reading pleasure. The track will be deconstructed and rebuilt properly momentarily.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 27, 2013, 03:59:13 am »

"I'm a dashing swordsdwarf, not an engineer. Just because you pansy civilians get a good general education doesn't mean we dashing military types do."

-Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Militia Commander

----
Yeah, that was a pretty silly error. In my defense though, that was literally the first minecart track I'd ever built, and I did it without looking at the wiki.

Looking at that units list, holy fruitbats do we have a lot of engravers. Are any of them traditionalists? We could use some historically-detailed murals for future overseers to find and marvel at. Stuff like "This is an engraving of dwarves. The dwarves are on fire. The dwarves are screaming. This relates to the melting of the entire moltenchannels militia by random forest fires in the year...."

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 27, 2013, 07:06:44 am »

With all the message spam whining about steel, and about them being frightened off by things that were miles away with no ranged weaponry of any kind, I didn't even think about the track. Though you also need to check on both levels, because N/S ramps still list as being two separate ramps. A north Ramp going up and a south ramp going down. Confused me at first too. That said, I saw the disconnect, but I'd seen it before and it worked, so I didn't notice the problem.

I bootstrapped everyone not mining into masons to complete the construction of the shield walls around the cart track. That's why the Clothiers were doing that. They were already engravers when I took it up.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 27, 2013, 05:11:03 pm »

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 4th Granite 1097

It is day IV. The merchants are now leaving the fortress through the underground passage, to trade with the other mountain halls. Despite reports of it taking a long time to get things done in the fortress, the pace of progress seems reasonable when compared to the timescale. I suppose when running a large fortress, things seem to get out of hand faster (READ: FPS is really low, so it takes a lot longer IRL to get things done).

Not only have the wooden walls on the tiny passage across the lava moat been removed, but so have the defective minecart ramps - both of them. I have illustrated the correct setup on the operational line.

I was asked about the availability of steel armor. Some of it is lying outside! I opened the bridge, but then Urist the Grey II reported undead as he was going out to pick up some of the items. I locked the doors and retracted the bridge, and then sent him to shoot the undead across the moat. They are quickly falling, though really none of them moved even to charge the gate when the place was open. Curious.

Because some of the disgusting forgotten beast blood was being spread around the western fortress bridge, I've ordered the thing to be dismantled. I also shut down the surface well. As our miners are going to be carving out proper plumbing, we don't need to worry about this disgusting "Stagnant Water" stuff.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 27, 2013, 06:35:09 pm »

We have a western bridge? I was unaware.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 100