Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385673 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Burning Zombie - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #900 on: September 27, 2013, 07:45:45 pm »

We have a western bridge? I was unaware.

That would be the bridge covered in Neca Suckerwaste's forgotten beast blood.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 5th Granite 1097

Just when I thought I could wait until the end of the month to make a report, something else happens.

The merchants were here so long their pack animals gave birth.

We have an undead forgotten beast living in the waterfall drain.

Isa the forgotten beast is locked in some strange network of what-is-this-I-don't-even, and has contracted forgotten beast syndrome from another forgotten beast.

The cavern lakes have now been filled with toxic goo. That lake happens to be feeding the waterfall.

The good news is we have a lot of masons expanding the bridge over the lava to the tower, and walling off the places that need to be walled off.

I am now going to store some of my old troll fur gloves in my new residence in New Townbrush.

Hopefully, Moltenchannels can make it to the end of the month without further danger.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 18th Granite, 1097

Day 18 has come. All hail Moltenchannels the Leaky Ardent Dyke! Urist the Grey II has successfully eliminated all the undead outside, and I will now unlock the doors and gates to recover the items left outside. I hope we can avoid another siege.

An incredible number of items have been dropped outside, including this collection of exceptional golden crowns and figurines. Those most be brought back to the fortress and stored within a secure vault!

The Royal Swordsdwarf Likot Heavensboots has taken it upon herself to deconstruct the filthy western bridge! At last, we will no longer have to fear dwarves treading upon the wrong places! I have made a drawing to celebrate the event, which also depicts the new passageway in my honor.

The mayor finally got around to meeting the unhappy hammerdwarf. For a good portion of the month, the mayor was starving and trying to eat some cheese that had been left in the trade depot. He then went back to his bedroom until I gave him a call to arms, and then ordered him to stand down. I hope he can recover from his bad mood before anything worse happens.

Finally, the miners have dug the plumbing network to below the upper caverns now. The engravers will smooth it up, and once the floodgates, levers, and wells are in place, we can finally get some running water around here. "Running water" has been a goal of many leaders of Moltenchannels, but so far none have managed to finish the job. I intend to be the one to finish it. We will not dig or engrave any other works until the plumbing is done!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:57:57 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 27, 2013, 10:48:44 pm »

In order of reactions:

1. "Hey the forest is on fire. Again."
2. That FB in the drain has been there since NotQuiteThere's turn. If it can't fly, it's not a threat.
3. That dining room is deadly enough *without* toxic goo. We should probably retire it and build a new one some time. That may require finding a way to turn off the flow, mind.
4. NEVER say "I hope we make it to X without Y", because Y will always happen.
5.Oh yeah, those gold items are probably from my trades to become the mountainhome, only never used...we had some idiots run out to gather twigs in the gold bins and get slaughtered ages ago. And that steel armor "lying around" out there is from what happened to the military during my turn. Ie. They were stabbed a bit by humans, then they caught fire and died and then got reanimated as zombies.
6. I'd love to see a nice new shiny swimming bath/dining room so we can train our dwarves as they munch, clean them as they munch, and infect them with FB syndromes as they munch. I would have tried it, but my past experiences with water have all been negative, and I had my hands full anyway.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 30, 2013, 05:48:39 pm »

6. I'd love to see a nice new shiny swimming bath/dining room so we can train our dwarves as they munch, clean them as they munch, and infect them with FB syndromes as they munch. I would have tried it, but my past experiences with water have all been negative, and I had my hands full anyway.

In my experience, the best way to train a military how to swim is to stick them in a danger room, and fill it 6/7 full of water.

They get really good at swimming, very fast.

Trying to get the average dwarf to swim is going to take a goddamn miracle (or a single level fort with no doors and an exact amount of water).
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 01, 2013, 03:35:08 pm »

In my experience, the best way to train a military how to swim is to stick them in a danger room, and fill it 6/7 full of water.

Trying to get the average dwarf to swim is going to take a goddamn miracle (or a single level fort with no doors and an exact amount of water).

Well, since the only lakes we'd be swimming in are either full of toxic goo, or consist of magma.......efficiency isn't all that important. We could do with cleaning them up though.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 01, 2013, 06:34:05 pm »

Well, since the only lakes we'd be swimming in are either full of toxic goo, or consist of magma.......efficiency isn't all that important. We could do with cleaning them up though.

Well, any water pumped immediately becomes clean.

Additionally, all we need to make sure that the fortress remains clean is a series of cleaning troughs, in front of the connection to any "Dirty" area (such as the sky, caverns, hospital, well, etc. Anywhere that dwarves get dirty).

These troughs are pretty simple, requiring a single channel (one tile carved out from the pathway per tile width), and filled with 2/7 - 3/7 of water (5/7 and 6/7 wont work as animals dont want to go through them (although they do make excellent danger room animal slaughter preventers), and 2/7 occasionally spills a bit, causing the whole system to dry... eventually).
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 01, 2013, 08:11:10 pm »

Well, any water pumped immediately becomes clean.

Additionally, all we need to make sure that the fortress remains clean is a series of cleaning troughs, in front of the connection to any "Dirty" area (such as the sky, caverns, hospital, well, etc. Anywhere that dwarves get dirty).

These troughs are pretty simple, requiring a single channel (one tile carved out from the pathway per tile width), and filled with 2/7 - 3/7 of water (5/7 and 6/7 wont work as animals dont want to go through them (although they do make excellent danger room animal slaughter preventers), and 2/7 occasionally spills a bit, causing the whole system to dry... eventually).

Because the plumbing is going in, we can have farms deeper down in the rock. I should be able to set up a swimming training room by building a 10x10 room on two floors (channel), filling the lower floor with water, and building a bridge over it. By stationing dwarves in the room, locking the door (on the upper level), and dumping the dwarves into the water, I can force the dwarves to train. The road leading down to the deeper depths had a second barracks planned next to it, and the plumbing pipe descends nearby it. I can build the swimming pool right there. Naturally, the pool is likely to fill up with all kinds of disgusting and dangerous substances, so I will need to install a proper sewer.

Besides the game running slow, designing the plumbing system takes a lot of time.

In other news, I think I found the vampire queen's equipment in the area with the burning zombies and forgotten beast made out of fire. There is fire everywhere down there. That's right, we have two adamantine swords located at the edges of the map, one on the surface and one in the upper caverns. Both seem to have been lying around for some time now.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 1st Slate 1097: Mid-Spring Report

Day 29! The first month of the year has passed without any more dwarves having accidents. With the surface clear of zombies, I have ordered the items scattered around the entrance to be stored within the fortress. Unfortunately, nobody has started cleaning the place up yet. That was because one of the doors was left locked.

I located two missing adamantine swords. The first one is lying right outside the western entrance, where anyone could grab it.

This is the second missing sword, which once belonged to the vampire Queen Iden Glazequests. It is lying in the upper caverns nearby a humanoid made out of fire and some zombies, which are also on fire. Most of the surrounding area is also on fire. Before we recover it, we will need to eliminate the humanoid and zombies and allow the fires to burn out. I have no idea how these valuable items ended up there!

I noticed a discrepancy in our records showing a masterwork adamantine blade in an unexplored region of the depths. I wonder how it ended up there? I should send someone to investigate.

The miners have reached an important branch point on the plumbing. The north branch will lead to New Townbrush, while the south branch will feed the other areas and settlements in the depths. New Townbrush will have a separate drain to the other plumbing on this level.

I've drawn in some preliminary designs for a sewer to clear contaminated water or drainage from irrigation projects. I realised this was necessary since Urist McKiwi and bp920091 were talking about a military swimming pool, and since many military dwarves are covered in blood or other disgusting fluids we would get filth in the drains that could invade the rest of the plumbing. I have a design for a swimming pool, but I need the plumbing dug out and smoothed before we get started.

The towers on the surface are rising, thanks to abundant building materials and masons. For some reason, these rooms seem to get stuffed full of beds, but I have better plans. The new rooms should serve as offices, dining rooms, or barracks.

This is the state of the entrance. I have outlined the locked door, which has set back cleanup by about 10 days or so.

We're seeing improvements in happiness over the miserable and very unhappy dwarves on the verge of rioting. I found Shem Standardhame returning to training today, because it is Slate and I only called off orders for Granite. All orders for Spring have now been cancelled, the only military activities will be stationing and defence of civilians. I have called all the marksdwarves in the Blockaded Arches outside, for protection of the fortress and the civilians.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:40:57 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 01, 2013, 09:18:56 pm »

We do happen to have a spare vampire, just itching for a chance to go kill things.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 02, 2013, 04:20:03 am »

Yeah, the Vampire Queen managed to kill everything I set her against except the burning man. I got overconfident in her might. I tried to drown the burning man when I was stoppering the magma flow that I'd opened up in a vain attempt to kill the zombies I'd let into the lower caverns to kill the burning man. That didn't work either.

It's because he hides behinds trees that no one wants to path around, but has the power to shoot fire between the trees. I think someone should drop rocks on him in an elaborate trap that collapses half the fortress in on itself. That should do the trick.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:22:26 am by notquitethere »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 02, 2013, 07:53:13 pm »

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 4th Slate 1097

Day 32 leading Moltenchannels. Yesterday, one of our master farmers, Asmel Bodyshot became very secretive all of a sudden. Today, he occupied a Leatherworks and has begun picking up items. I looked through the records of his skills; he used to be a tanner but has no performed any jobs for a while, being profecient but very rusty. He has dabbling military skills at using a spear and a lot of fighting skills (including wrestling biting, striking, kicking, and dodging), but is not part of any squad. He is a dabbling swimmer, a novice judge of intent, novice flatterer, novice consoler, and is dabbling at lying, intimidation, conversation, comedy, pacification, and negotiation.

I have copied down the events log for reference to the situation. Asmel went secretive yesterday, and probably sought out the leatherworks overnight. In the meantime, some peasants were complaining about being unable to find bodyparts to put in tombs. Most of the bodyparts are lying outside, and some have been forbidden. To stop the trouble, I ordered the coffins removed. We will dig out proper tombs later and give the dead a proper burial.

This is a drawing of Asmel in his newly-claimed leatherworks. Four days after the orders were given, there are still marksdwarves moving to station.

The plumbing work continues at a slow pace, mostly because I found we were using some dabbling miners. From now on, only skilled miners will be working on the plumbing.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 9th Slate 1097

Day 37. After forbidding some lower-quality pig tail fiber cloth and bismuth bronze bars, I managed to get Asmel to pick up some masterwork quality cloth and gold bars. We did not have any masterwork quality cloth with dye on it.

The the items Asmel is using are marked with a "TSK".

At last, work is now in progress. I have high expectations that Asmel Bodyshot will produce a great artefact worthy of the Mountainhomes!

Note by CaptainArchmage: This is either going to be a creepy leather thong menacing with spikes of class, or a studded leather biker's jacket, right?

Bim Athelunib has grown up, having become a Adept Grower during her time growing up at Moltenchannels.

This is her biography. Another natural-born citizen of the fortress has reached the age of maturity! She is the youngest of the five children of Doren Greoovedgolds the (Legendary-Level) Planter and Logem Crowtomes the Gem Setter. Her two older brothers are both resident in the fortress, Vabôk Rirasshorast (Vabôb Greaterwire, aged 128) and Zasit Urdimluslem (Zasit Towerpuzzles, aged 123) the Engraver. Her two older sisters never migrated to Moltenchannels. All her siblings appear to be her elders by over a century.

Note by CaptainArchmage: For some reason I actually feel pride that this citizen, born in Moltenchannels, has finally grown up. A lot has happened at Moltenchannels.

Having gone into much description about Bim Ringrags, I have written a few things about Abel Bodyshot. He has some excellent interests and will go a long way in making our Mountainhomes even greater.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, Slate 13th, 1097

Day 41 has arrived, and Abel Bodyshot has finished his artefact! It is called "Patternlocks", a reindeer leather shirt! He is now a legendary tanner.

The shirt menaces with spikes, and many other decorations. There is an image in rose quartz of a battle between elves and humans, which happened over a thousand years ago. This is a truly wonderful creation.

The shirt is valued at ☼77,040.

As expected, Abel is very pleased with himself. I now need to find a dwarf worthy of this shirt.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:22:39 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 04, 2013, 10:18:24 pm »

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 21st Slate, 1097

Day 49. Civilization comes to Moltenchannels at last! The large room in New Townbrush to the north of my bedroom will finally have two wells installed.

As we had a shortage of available beds and barrels, I assigned a proper workshop to Melbil Athelvunom the legendary carpenter, right next to the wood stockpile. I think we need a larger stockpile.

I discovered we do not have enough power to run both the Shroud of Armok and the Water Lift at the same time. "Reactor Alpha", which generates power through the silicate-catalyzed zero-point energy modulation of dihydrogen monoxide, generates 700 power, of which 395 units are used, and the water lift requires 478 units. This means we will have a shortfall of at least 173 units, and we will need at least two more water wheels in a new reactor, or maybe over 20 windmills. "Reactor Beta" never worked.

Now that the beehives are finally producing honeycombs, I need to set up a screw press to get the honey.

Monthly Report by CaptainArchmage III, 1st Felsite, 1097

Day 57. Another month comes to an end at Moltenchannels bringing the promise of- ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Why would you leave an adamantine breastplate out there? Why would you have an unskilled armorsmith forge a fucking adamantine breastplate? WHY?

I made that crack in the wall because I had to clear out the items from under the drawbridge. I need to get a military squad over there quickly before something goes wrong, too.

I am at a loss of how to further expand the plumbing. This fortress was not designed with plumbing in mind, besides the dining room where you drink water out of a waterfall fed by a toxic lake. This means I can designate new mansions with plumbing, but otherwise installing wells will mean knocking down walls and making a terrible asymmetrical mess of the designs that will induce ocular bleeding.

A ridiculous number of our miners had these hauling assignments. From now on, miners will do mining and not moving stuff around on the surface.

It seems the previous leaders of Moltenchannels decided to employ our miners in something, but were not exactly sure what to dig. What is this thing?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:02:32 am by CaptainArchmage »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 04, 2013, 11:49:18 pm »

It's not already an ocular bleeding inducing mess? Seriously, how much worse can you make it?

You can run the water lift, if you fix the starter reactor I dug up in the north east. The pump and wheels are in place, but A) there's a tree blocking the output and B) the bloody thing doesn't hold water for some reason. You could also use a wall to cut down the oversize reactor I made and it should be useable. Best to fill it with the Water Lift though.

Also, if we need to fill the moat after the shroud has been fired, on the western edge of the island, I built all the pumps and windmills necessary to fill the magma drowning tower, and I believe the lever for it is right there. If not, it's labeled, in the control room just below the surface. (West side, south of the hall.) Check old records for details. (Turn one). Shouldn't take much to reroute it.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: October 05, 2013, 07:05:19 pm »

It seems the previous leaders of Moltenchannels decided to employ our miners in something, but were not exactly sure what to dig. What is this thing?
It's a mine, obviously. 2-tile-thick "technical-word-for-stuff-left-behind-I-can't-remember"s make everything 100% visible, at the expense of taking a fair while to dig.

Specifically, it's my exploratory mining effort from my last turn, back when we were out of steel and iron. It's a little messy because of bits being cancelled, but it's pretty much exactly what I needed...I wanted one Z level with decent minerals which were 100% known, so I could mine some of them on demand and leave the rest easily visible for anyone in future. So I looked for some iron and then did some branch mining to see how big the deposits were and see if I could get some out to make some steel. Sure, it's ugly and time-consuming as exploratory mining goes, but it worked. I'd also planned to see about cutting lots of gems for an ego-project down in McKiwi III's quarter's, but I ran out of time. Otherwise I'd have mined those gems out of the walls, cut every single gem in the fortress into a window, and made McKiwi III's rooms slightly more reflective than a hall of mirrors.

The digging took way too long because of hauling settings (I'm glad to see you've got those fixed. I got some of them, but I think it kept resetting for some bizzare reason), but it got enough copper and steel for some very nice weapon, armor and trap programs.

And to answer your questions about armor lying around: It's there because the previous owner was an idiot who was killed in battle due to AI issues, then the undead turned up rendering it impossible to recover. You're the first person to have access to it since the previous owner died.
I think that breastplate is from the first production run, before I worked out how workshop profiles worked. Or during the time when our trained blacksmiths were off getting high as a kite behind the siege batteries for a few months instead of working. You might want to take a look at that, by the way....both of my turns have seen the blacksmiths spend months MIA and then turning up and doing their jobs towards the end of the year as if nothing had happened. Possibly some bad labour settings.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 06, 2013, 01:52:14 pm »

Anima Rytak is a legendary grade armorsmith, I think? You really just need one skilled dwarf who isn't doing things other than weaponsmith, armoursmith, and blacksmith.

The last two days or so got interrupted due to illness and so on, but I will try to get things going again.

We still have adamantine available. I can melt down the adamantine breastplate, but it will not recover 100% of the material and we are still getting low. A (buggy) workaround is to recover or obtain some mire adamantine is by forging and melting coins. This process will probably be very slow, 10 batches of coins need to be melted for one wafer of adamantine.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 3rd Felsite, 1097

Once again, we narrowly averted an internal cataclysm. After I finished with the monthly report, I heard some dwarves discussing a violent ghost haunting the fortress. Since Moltenchannels is a gigantic place, and we did not have time for the normal engravers to finish their jobs and engrave the slab, I made an emergency assignment burrow over the mason's shop containing a pile of slabs, and the nearby craftdwarf's shop, and then ordered Pseudonym, who was nearby, into it. I assigned the engraving job for Tosid Mozibathel at the craftdwarf's shop, and though Pseudonym did not start engraving until I told him to do stonecrafting, I managed to get him to do the job.

Once again, while dealing with an out-of-control situation, I found another unrelated error in unrelated employment preferences.

Pseudonym had been handling the construction of my well, and the job went over to ïteb Boatscrewed, another novice building designer. Why are we having poorly skilled dwarves to design my wells?! If I can get Troll Fur Sock to do the jobs instead, we may have better quality wells.

The ghost of Tosid began to travel upwards while Pseudonym was hard at work engraving the slab.

At last, Pseudonym finished the engraving and placed the slab next to the workshop. The violent apparition then dissipated on the surface. Fortunately, no-one was injured, but this could have been serious. I think we need to deal with the unmemorialised and unburied dead, just in case they return. Meanwhile, Psuedonym needs to get something to eat.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:46:12 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 06, 2013, 05:02:38 pm »

Yeah, AnimaRytak is very skilled. It's just that getting him to do anything was annoying as hell. Still, he did some great work in steel when I finally sorted him out. It may have fallen into the category of "fantastic work that doesn't show up in the equipment screen" though, since that was something of an issue during my turn.

It might be worth opening up Dwarf Therapist and checking all the labours. There's some stuff there that dates back to emergency projects 6-8 years previously, and it's just going to keep on slowing things down. I know we've got some untrained surgeons and the like running around just waiting to amputate someone's leg while trying to sew a cut on their cheek shut.

And I'd definitely support trying to sort out the dead. Both Triaxx2 and I had slabbed dwarves still haunting the fortress, and a bunch of unslabbed dead who were forgotten about. Since most fortress deaths happen in really violent and nasty ways, they tend not to be very happy ghosts. I did make a mountain of empty slabs for the purpose of memorialising them though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:05:48 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 06, 2013, 05:10:30 pm »

Yeah, AnimaRytak is very skilled. It's just that getting him to do anything was annoying as hell. Still, he did some great work in steel when I finally sorted him out. It may have fallen into the category of "fantastic work that doesn't show up in the equipment screen" though, since that was something of an issue during my turn.

It might be worth opening up Dwarf Therapist and checking all the labours. There's some stuff there that dates back to emergency projects 6-8 years previously, and it's just going to keep on slowing things down. I know we've got some untrained surgeons and the like running around just waiting to amputate someone's leg while trying to sew a cut on their cheek shut.

And I'd definitely support trying to sort out the dead. Both Triaxx2 and I had slabbed dwarves still haunting the fortress, and a bunch of unslabbed dead who were forgotten about. Since most fortress deaths happen in really violent and nasty ways, they tend not to be very happy ghosts. I did make a mountain of empty slabs for the purpose of memorialising them though.

I have made the Emergency Assignments burrow, so all I really need to do is make it over a nearby food and drink stockpile, over a dining hall, and over AnimaRytak's rooms, and over the metal storage. Unless jobs are assigned inside of the burrows, which are small areas, he should focus on his work. I will probably release all dwarves from their burrows at the end of my term, because otherwise we may have dwarves doing ridiculous things.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 100