Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383812 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Rising Towers - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #930 on: October 22, 2013, 03:52:59 am »

I did some coins during my last term, IIRC. Not sure what happened to any of them, or even if they were finished. If you can find any of them it'd be neat to see what they turned out like.

You mean the 15000 aluminium coins?

Hmm...I think mine were either gold or aluminium. Check the dates on them...if they're in 1091 (I think that was my first turn) or 1095, then yes, they're from my tenure and I never got to look at them properly. They're probably fairly lame.

Edit: Yes, they're mine. Looking back through my updates, I ordered the minting of aluminium coins in the month of Sandstone, 1095....because we had a bunch of aluminium bars and the blacksmiths were actually doing their work at the time. What do they look like?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:29:31 am by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 23, 2013, 11:13:26 am »

It's too late I think to mod more engravings (at least they don't use them when I try), so I've prepared Moltenchannels' themed standard shapes file:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8062

Just replace the one in the save's raw folder. Some encrusting descriptions end a bit weird, but it's still nicer.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 23, 2013, 07:21:53 pm »

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 15th Hematite 1097

I laid down some designs for more big rooms, but I will probably hold off on digging them until the upcoming project is done. In the meantime, Urist McKiwi asked me to check the coin designs for his run of aluminium coins, so I checked all of them to make sure.

First of all, these are the copper coins, with a face value of ☼1. We have two stacks of 500, all from the year 1085. The front of the coin has an exceptionally designed image of a symbol of our civilization, and on the back is an image of the former dwarf vampire queen Iden Glazequests the Cobalt Magicians of Scandal ascending to the throne in the year 91, over 1000 years ago!

Next, I found a single stack of 500 silver coins from the year 1085, with a fine design of the first King's ascension to the throne in the year 1 on the front and another image of a gem on the back. These have a face value of ☼5.

These are the gold coins we have, and there are three stacks of 500, again from 1085. The front depicts the appointment of our general Shorast Basementcobalt in 1046. On the back is another more exceptional design of the ascension of our first King. Gold coins have a face value of ☼15.

Finally, Urist McKiwi says he ordered a run of these aluminium coins. The obverse depicts longland grass, while the reverse again depicts the rise of our first King, Eshtân Razorbanner. These coins are all from the year 1095 (two years ago), and unlike the other coins they do not carry face value.

Coin inventory:
1500 gold coins (3 stacks of 500)
500 silver coins (1 stack of 500)
1000 copper coins (2 stacks of 500)
15000 aluminium coins (30 stacks of 500)

That's right, over 80% of our coinage consists of commemorative coins without face value, made from a particularly valuable material. This is probably to blame on an order through the job dispatch system, rather than on a job order left on repeat. We'll need to rectify the problem and have some more currency minted, but we are rather lacking in both silver and copper bars at the moment for the lower-denomination currency. Fortunately, dwarves around here seem to be fine without using coins.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 23, 2013, 08:57:58 pm »

1. McKiwi III (and II, for that matter) is female. :P
2. Yeah, I ordered 30 "make aluminium coins" jobs for giggles. In my defense, I'd planned to make some gold coins as well but just plain forgot about them, and I didn't know that they wouldn't have face value. Nor did I know these were the first coins to be minted in a decade. I'd originally intended this as an ego project for McKiwi III, so she could have mountains of money in her tomb, but I forgot to actually move them and then I decided it'd be better to go down a different route for the character. We can say they're victory coins commemorating the survival of the fortress over the years 1094-1095, which was a seriously hard time for the fort.

I *did* deliberately leave a few orders on repeat when I ended my turn, partly so we wouldn't starve, partly for laughs. The only ones I can remember are from stills, where I basically told them to keep on brewing forever (since we had shortages in the past caused by forgetful overseers, and we have[well, HAD] mountains of prepared food), but if we've got an excess of something stupid like instruments, mugs, crafts or whatever, I may be to blame. It wouldn't be from a valuable material though, since that'd just be rude.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 24, 2013, 05:19:29 am »

Some overseers raised towers, some dug moats, some waged holy war against undead legions, and others minted commemorative coins.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 24, 2013, 09:18:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure I backed up my save, right? There's no way my reaping of the marble layer for my new mansion is going to cause an FPS or game-breaking disaster requiring a complete re-install. No way at all. No sir.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 15th Hematite 1097

After checking out our currency, I showed the new plans to the head miner, and a vile stench filled the air as the combination of digested Moltenchannel's staples and sunshine emptied out into his clothing. Its not like the plans are that hard! No really!

Here's how the conversation went.

"Aren't those rooms at the bottom twice the size of the coffin storage?"

This is what royal accommodation looks like in the Mountainhomes! Each room gets its own well. The middle room is the king's, the one to the east is going to be the queen's, the one to the west is either a statue garden and zoo, or a consort's room, big beds with doors and windows on 'em, and the passageway up north to the throne room is filled with statues and traps. Well, mostly traps.

"Doors and windows on beds? Consort's room? Queen's room? Throne room?"

This is the throne room. The place has magma filled channels and the king's throne goes just behind those two pillars. The exit to the north goes to the great hall, which has four wells. It opens up to the Royal Road, which is the final extension of the road carved around here in the last few years. The western room is the Royal Bathhouse. There is a dedicated soap storage room with a minecart feeding it, and a dedicated booze-and-well room to the other side.

"Minecart?!"

That room with the stairwell in the middle is a storage silo. Ground floor is food, second floor is booze, and we'll have five levels in total.

"What? Oh, and what are those things there?"

Courtier's quarters, you can't have enough of them. They're actually the prototype for the rest of future accommodation, dwarves living in proper houses instead of chambers covered in bedding wall-to-wall.

"How many are you planning?"
I'd planned nineteen to be on the safe side. We'll also need rooms for the support staff, such as a cook, a farmer, two blacksmiths, a jeweller, nine dwarves in the royal squad, probably a mason, a clothier, and a stonecrafter as well. I haven't designated all of those rooms though, because the place should be finished in blocks, and we may need more staircases. If it helps, we might also run into some adaman-

"Fine, we'll do it. This should keep us employed all year! Might as well get some work done."

With that, my palace project is on its way to completion.

Edit: After the miners finish drinking. They are all drinking, all at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:30:08 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 25, 2013, 03:32:18 pm »

Some overseers raised towers, some dug moats, some waged holy war against undead legions, and others minted commemorative coins.

Actually, I did all four. Although not in the same turn.

Edit: Um...I think you're incredibly close to the magma sea with that work, so be careful.....you might end up with loads of warm stone cancellations. Hopefully you won't actually breach the place. I'd suggest cooking all that marble with some hematite to make yet more steel and FPS. And be careful......there is an isolation system for that level, but it's not designed to stop magma flooding (Edit2: Yes, I'll admit, that might have been a pretty major omission when I started building it). If you breach, we'll lose access to half our candy reserves. And I will end you if you mess with McKiwi III's pad (although I think she actually lives in a basic room about halfway up the fort, so it's mostly for show).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:42:53 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 26, 2013, 06:11:37 am »

Being unable to stop magma flooding is a feature, not a flaw.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:04 am »

Well....maybe not.

I did actually intend to build a combined magma/HFS containment system. I just forgot to remove and seal the hatches that allow HFS to escape the fort and destroy the world. And to make sure I was building the containment system out of magma-safe materials.

I'm sure it works fine though.

Edit2: Wastedlabor, could you put me down for a turn after you? Assuming the fort lives that long it should be interesting to come back and see how 5 years have changed the place from bad to worse.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:55:19 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 26, 2013, 10:10:20 pm »

Well....maybe not.

I did actually intend to build a combined magma/HFS containment system. I just forgot to remove and seal the hatches that allow HFS to escape the fort and destroy the world. And to make sure I was building the containment system out of magma-safe materials.

I'm sure it works fine though.

Edit2: Wastedlabor, could you put me down for a turn after you? Assuming the fort lives that long it should be interesting to come back and see how 5 years have changed the place from bad to worse.

See below, I'm pretty sure the new windows will make the courtyard look better!

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 17th Hematite, 1097

Today, the elven merchants finally packed up. Also, our legendary mason has now manufactured a magma-safe cabinet for my personal use. To speed the process up, I am ordering some cabinets made out of wood.

I commissioned Dumed Lancedroad, one of our gem setters, regarding the installation of windows in the atrium. The Carpenter Melbil Athelvunom really likes green glass windows, so I specified that his extended rooms should incorporate them.

The miners are all drinking or storing items away, and I think we may want some more strategically-placed stairwells in the palace. However, they can always start on the road around Urist McKiwi's arrangement down there once they have finished drinking. I don't know what went on down there, but there are unfinished traps and a drawbridge on that level. There is also a pressure plate that doesn't seem to be connected to anything.

I found one of the farmers in the emergency assignment burrow and released him. Planting should get under way now.

I don't know how this happened but I came across one of our butchers with a cage. It contains a unicorn corpse that is forbidden, but for some reason the butcher is still working on cutting it up. This might explain the supply of "forbidden" unicorn products that nearly rotted in there a few days ago. I wonder how the unicorn corpse ended up in there in the first place? Did the unicorns just die in cages after being in the fort so long? Curious.

I found the last of the orthoclase fire doors I need for my temporary rooms in New Townbrush! I'll leave some notes that they should be kept shut.

Note by CaptainArchmage: From this point on, you should expect the wheels to come off as never before.

URGENT EDIT: Hey guys, do you know how I can show at least five z-levels on Stonesense? I need to show off the windows when they are done.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:02:55 am by CaptainArchmage »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 27, 2013, 06:09:44 am »

I believe just scrolling with the mouse wheel reveals more floors. if not, it's something like Control+mouse wheel.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 27, 2013, 09:11:48 am »

I believe just scrolling with the mouse wheel reveals more floors. if not, it's something like Control+mouse wheel.

I meant five levels at the same time, because the windows will be spread over at least that many floors.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 27, 2013, 10:29:50 pm »

I know what you meant. Hold Control, and scroll the mouse wheel down and it will display more active floors. You can only see lower floors if your upper floors are gone I believe.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 28, 2013, 10:37:18 pm »

Ah! The pressure plate. yes. I'd intended to make an automatic flood-door that would seal that level if it flooded, or if the rest of the fort flooded, using the existing bridge I'd already placed there. I obviously never finished it. Again, I am sure we will not have any problems with this at all. Go ahead and remove it if you want, you know what you're doing better than I did.

The drawbridge could do with testing. Assuming I finished it, there should be a note-labelled lever in the control room in McKiwi III's chambers, and another one somewhere above that level. Not sure if that's the one in New Townbrush or not, but it's hopefully labelled (my notes are red exclamation marks with a purple background, IIRC).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:39:28 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 29, 2013, 09:06:35 pm »

The following notice by CaptainArchmage III was found posted in many locations around Moltenchannels during the summer, after about 19th Hematite.

Notice: Proper Stockpile Settings a.k.a. Dwarves! Read this if you want your stockpiles to function!

Today, I found out why the stockpile for metal bars in the forges never actually worked. We need to select which materials to allow from the "Additional Options" section. "Non-Plant/Animal" covers metal bars and the like. The stockpile is now functional, so go load it up from the smelters! Future leaders, please take note of this arcane setting. ~CaptainArchmage III

Furnace operators needed! Taking melting and smelting work: Need three smelters operated, all day, every day, processing gold ore, smelting galena, and melting down of unused and salvaged non-masterwork military equipment with no registered kills.

Dwarves, Masons, and Furniture haulers also needed! Complex array of windows, both made from gems and from glass under construction, over at least five floors in main courtyard. Skilled dwarves and masons, there are plenty of doors, hatch covers, and statues to devote your time to instead!

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 23rd Hematite 1097

Three large-scale projects have just gone underway; the windows project in the courtyard, which involves masons, glassmakers, gem-cutters, and haulers; the forging project, which involves the furnace operators and smiths; and the underground mining and engraving project which features a road and palace, subject to alteration. What is interesting about this? No employment overlap!

The forges are cleaning up nicely as our now-functional bar stockpile is filled up by the dwarves. No longer shall our smelters be a huge mess of bars!

We hit the lowest floor I was willing to risk digging on. Not sure what I will put here, but it is practically on the magma flow. My palace will have to be redesigned a little now to take account of the pillars of marble rising from the superheated rock.

I'm considering adding a well to Urist McZombie's quarters, which will be quite large and look good in the marble. It can be on a separate branch from the palace supply or be on the same branch. Filtration (grates) will be included. This will also expand the width of the hallway somewhat. For some reason that large room is also becoming the new epicenter of drinking activity, so the wider hallway will alleviate congestion.

This is an interesting hauling profile, but I think our smiths need to be operating the furnaces instead. I will employ more furnace operators from the peasants and harvesters if necessary.

Question by CaptainArchmage: McKiwi III's pad has that well upgrade planned. Would that count as messing with your pad?

End of month Report by CaptainArchmage III, 28th Hematite 1097

Work has vastly sped up here at Moltenchannels after I set right some stockpile rules. The forges look like they are active right now, with a mass of dwarves moving items to and fro.

I found one of the peasants, Kadol Logemesdor "Paintedsells", who grew up in Moltenchannels, is a legendary woodcrafter as a result of a strange mood a few years ago. She is no longer hauling and is manufacturing masterwork wooden bolts for the army! We happen to have another legendary woodcrafter, unfortunately not as committed or busy with other work. Clearance of the job orders is finally progressing!

I ordered the outside cleaned up completely now, no corpses lying around. The bodies of the fallen soldiers will be brought within our walls for burial as soon as a proper tomb is built.

I saw some dwarves bringing in bins using wheelbarrows, so I ordered another 10 ones made out of wood. Once I get some of the metalcrafters to get back into it and mint some coins, I will also order some lead wheelbarrows and minecarts, since the galena smelting is producing a large amount.

Finally, I'm clearing more military training orders for the rest of the season. With luck, the place outside will be clean and ready to go for the next siege!

Edit: I'm going to wait for further gameplay months or events to update. Cleanup is nearly done and a lot of gold, silver, and lead has appeared. Quality control is trying to keep up with putting low quality productions back through the smelters. We finally have mead and waxwork production underway, which is a first both for me and I think for the succession games I have seen.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:02:28 am by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 100