Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383822 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Rising Towers - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #945 on: October 30, 2013, 06:45:17 am »

How do you even make wax?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 30, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »

Bees.

I seem to recall we also have some soapmaking facilities that have lain empty for a long time, so we could productively start those up so as to improve our healthcare system.

Adding a well to my excellent shelter is fine and excellent, as long as it's an awesome well. It'd also be awesome if you could persuade the idiots to store "food and drink" not "seeds and syrup" down in that food stockpile unless that's sorted itself out(I wasn't very good at stockpile settings during my first turn, and I forgot to fix it during my second one). The whole thing is supposed to survive a disaster with a bunch of people inside (originally McKiwi II+Adamantine miners, later I hoped to adapt it to house an entire squad in extreme circumstances). A well would certainly help. Also another isolation system to seal off the tomb from the main fortress.

...when my turn comes around again, I really must make sure that the drawbridges are actually magma-safe........

I'd also suggest taking a good look at McUrist's General Hospital (I pointed it out when Wastedlabor did screenshots/stonesense after my turn..it's to the bottom-left of the stairwell, near a graveyard)....I only ever intended it as a temporary solution, and it lacks a decontamination system. If you're building a massive palace down there, you might want to make an emergency hospital which gets sealed off until it's needed (so we don't get contamination there until the main hospital is already destroyed and the lower levels sealed-off. Our main hospital should also really have some kind of decon system to keep it clean for as long as possible. Plus I made it in a hurry, so it might not be supplied adequately.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 31, 2013, 02:49:15 am »

Last time I checked, Cutey's ground floor tower hospital is very well stocked (the Dwarfs stole a lot of cloth straight from the Elves in what must be the most larcenous bug there is).

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 31, 2013, 03:30:48 pm »

Last time I checked, Cutey's ground floor tower hospital is very well stocked (the Dwarfs stole a lot of cloth straight from the Elves in what must be the most larcenous bug there is).

That's true, but remember that a lot of stuff in there is either forbidden or sealed off. So we may have a shortage of stuff that can be used becuase it's all sealed in there and covered in Death Blood.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 31, 2013, 05:58:04 pm »

I'm going for it now!

End of Month Report by CaptainArchmage, 28th Malachite 1097

Another month of productivity has come to an end!

Farming was going slowly because of these ridiculous hauling assignments. Planters will no longer haul items when they should instead be planting cave wheat and pig tails in the farms! Because many of the peasants who just reached adulthood have such high farming skills and little else, and the cleanup has been mostly completed, I am having almost all of them plant crops unless they are doing important things such as learning to forge weapons and armour.

I found this diorite crown with an exceptional image by our legendary gem setter Dastot Kuletthimshur in green glass on it, depicting the founding of our fortress. The crown itself is well-crafted, but the image sets it aside for an item that should either be sold at a high price, or transferred to one of our vaults for safe-keeping.

The elves finally packed up and left with the merchandise we sold them.

Fortunately, they exited the area without incident, otherwise we would have a terrible mess on our hands.

After pressing the harvested honeycombs into honey, I finally had some mead brewed.

Mead is an interesting drink. It can be brewed just as any other drink, but the main ingredient is honey. Honey requires a long production process and only a small amount of mead can be produced at a time. Because of this, no fortress has manufactured mead in recent history to the best of my knowledge. However, we do have mead now, so we can now enjoy this rare drink. If we can install more hives, we may be able to get a decent level of production up!

The process of pressing the honeycombs into honey has also left a surplus of wax. Wax is another item we can craft, but it does not become available frequently for the same reasons that mead is not produced frequently. I was asked by Triaxx2 about how wax is made - no, not many dwarves know! Wait, who and where is Triaxx2? Am I going insane? It must be the heat from the forges, I don't see the guy on the citizen list anywhere! I was just talking to him about the mead though, and he told me that Cutey's ground floor hospital is well stocked with supplies.

I did the investigation, and could not find any trace of a dwarf named "Triaxx", but I do know that Cutey's ground floor hospital is in permanent quarantine for health and safety reasons.

Earlier in the month, I noticed that there are two adamantine deposits at the northern end of the fortress area, and there is a strange phenomenon occurring due south of the western deposit. I believe there may be another adamantine deposit in the south-eastern region, and I may extend the palace to include certain rooms in there. I know legends say these places are dangerous, so I will try to get the adamantine out first if I can.

I decided to start forging some battle-axes myself. It goes to show how bad our education system is when the person who leads the fortress is a complete novice at this! Fortunately, the low-quality battle-axes will just get melted down and recycled, so there's no ultimate loss.

After that experience, I decided to expand the armorsmith apprenticeship project to other dwarves. We're making some progress here!

I found a massive amount of sandbags in the refuse stockpile. This refuse system isn't working any more, so I unforbade them. The carts still get pushed around, but I think until the next zombie siege arrives the equipment around there is redundant.

I found out why the brewers weren't brewing the other dwarven plants we have a large quantity of. From now on, unless their alcohol is found in a sufficiently large quantity around here, all plants are fair game for the brewers!

PUBLISHING IN PROCESS, PLEASE STAND BY
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:42:47 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 31, 2013, 09:04:13 pm »

Yes, yes! My expurgations from the records is working!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 01, 2013, 04:54:34 am »

How are the towers near the drawbridge/outer-outer-courtyard on the Eastern side looking these days?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

End of Season Report by CaptainArchmage III, 28th Galena 1097

The year is half gone. Deep underground, the new palace is being carved out of marble, criss-crossed by veins of native gold. The miners work tirelessly to dig out this, our greatest achievement yet.

Meanwhile on the surface, the towers rise inexorably into the skies. If dwarves were not occupied with so many other things, these would have been finished by now.

This large room is going to be an office or dining room for the carpenter, Melbil Athelvunom. The mural on the floor is in a shape of a tree, and includes plenty of green glass, which he really likes.

I'm sure everyone would love to know what this is. There are rumours flying and nobody has it right. Nobody, except me.

On the 16th, a human caravan was sighted by the dwarves cleaning up the outside. They were accompanied by a guild representative. I traded two large stacks of quarry bush roasts for a large amount of items - all the food, cloth, leather, metal, gems, and some of the metal items I determined could be melted down.

I then watched the guild representative's jaw drop at our request for next year. Trust me, these items are important.

Now that we have ash, we can finally make some lye and then soap to clean up this shit-hole.

Anima Rytak got to one of the battle axe orders before I did, and made this wonderful masterwork. We have a new addition to the permanent weapons list!

A blast of trumpets, darn! I forgot to take the military off-duty for the rest of the year, so they're now up and about. Fine, there's work to be done! Important preparations must be made. Moltenchannels is about to witness an event that has not happened for over a thousand years now.

1st Limestone, 1097
On the first of the month, all military dwarves in Moltenchannels are called to the Second Cavern Layer. CaptainArchmage III is seen darting out of the chain room, where a large number of dwarves seem to keep congregating from time to time. A large assembly forms within the caverns, and CaptainArchmage III finally appears at the foot of the great staircase leading up to the surface, from which the two unicorns have been removed.

Friends! Countrymen! Dwarves... wait, why the fuck is that dwarf on fire?! Oh SHI-

Confusion reigns. Dwarves go running in all directions, while the burning surgeon Vucar Rimtarlisid is ordered into the waterfall dining room. A massive cloud of steam shoots out of the room, and a fog settles in the caverns.

The situation is resolved as Vucar discards his burning cloak upon the grates. The burning heat causes damage to his clothing, but it also cleans up the surrounding area.

Above ground, another situation goes out of control, with another wildfire threatening the outside of the fortress.

With the underground crisis averted, CaptainArchmage III orders some further structural work in the towers above ground, and calls the military below to the mining works in the marble. The human guild representative follows the mayor down. Some of the hallways here are very tight for such a large volume of dwarves to get through.

The crowd spills into the rough-hewn open marble chamber, where they assemble. Some gems are being hauled away, miners are measuring up the walls, and there is a lot of stone and gold lying around, but the place is huge even by Moltenchannels standards.

The human guild representative pulls the mayor aside as CaptainArchmage III arrives in the room.

The time has come for a new coronation. The last happened over a thousand years ago, when the dwarven queen Iden Glazequests took up the throne. She was cursed to prowl the night in search of blood, but lived for most of those thousand years. Today, a new generation of dwarves will take up the throne and the kingdom of The Strategic Bodices! All hail Moltenchannels! The new king is crowned! Can we get our Count back now, please? Oh troops! Stand down! We've got work to be done!

Wait WAT? Yeah, I feel like trading at the depot.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:29:52 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Inner Monologue of Urist McKiwi III, Militia Commander & Dashing Swordsdwarf. 1st Limestone, 1097, just before lunchtime.

So we're down here for this "big surprise" Captainarchmage has planned. It's pretty obvious he's claiming the throne. Fair enough.....to put it frankly, no one else thinks that being ruler of this civilisation is anything other than a quick ticket to a shallow grave, but he wants it.....and he's done reasonably well this year, even if he's been rather less dashing than I would have liked in the process. Although I suppose that royalty has to take second-pick of the dashing individuals after dashing swordsdwarfship. Still.....this waiting around staring at each other isn't much fun. Not very dashing, either. Wonder when our new armor's getting made? And if I'll get a nice shiny adamantine breastplate to replace this plain old one. Not that I'm complaining, it does the trick, but a really nice one would be....oh, he's here. Time to look dashing. Or at least mildly interested in being here. I should have filled my flask before coming here. Some good strong liquor would make this a lot more interesting. Hope he doesn't want special treatment in the military now that he's a monarch. Suppose I could manage something, but it'll only last until I can get rid of it. Soldiers are soldiers, and monarchs take second place to dashing heroes such as myself. Ah well, with a bit of luck everything will be fine. Damn I need that drink......looks like he's going to start talking any minute...ah, here we go.

Oh hey, someone's on fire. I wonder when he'll notice that. I'd dash off to help, but kings can execute people who move when they don't want them to, so let's see how long it...ah, there we go. Best. Speech. Ever. Except for the swearing, obviously. That's hardly dashing at all. But the rest? Perfect.

It always seems to surprise the overseers when they realise just how stupid most of our civilians are. I mean, walking into a forest fire is pretty dim....and then running down into the fortress? Even dimmer. Still, guess that chap's alive. For now. Until Cutey gets her hands on him. That's better than my men back in '95 when the fires took out a whole squad or two....but they were trapped. I only survived because I could dash across the coals before they set my clothes on fire and make it onto the burned ground! Ah....the screams.....they all come back. People I couldn't help, dying in front of me.... Ok, time to think about something else.

.....I wonder what's for lunch today? I'll just nip off once this is over.....and fill that damned flask before I get called up for another one of these things...

-------------------------------------------

I can't see how the two towers by the gate are faring in those screenshots....but those were never that important. Another thing you might want to do if you've got time and masons to spare is putting a wall along the rim of the magma moat to direct the flow of magma from the Shroud of Armok north into the forest, rather than letting it go south into the moat/volcano system. It'll double the effectiveness of the system, and also set fire to the caverns whenever we activate it.

One thing I DO see in those screenshots is some blood in Cutey's old room in the tower you're extending. Make sure that's not the organ-failure-inducing stuff or pave it over just in case.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 05:14:40 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really, we should fill that bloody room with magma. Because really, what's the point of having a fortress without a random magma reservoir.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find this thread very enjoyable, thank you for creating his interesting story..

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find this thread very enjoyable, thank you for creating his interesting story..
I'm amazed at how well it's gone. Some day, with luck, we will have a suitably epic ending to this tale.

Edit: Even more hopefully, maybe some day we'll take a shot at the Hall of Legends. I don't think we're quite legendary enough, but we're getting there.

Edit2: I notice I'm not on the turn list, so I guess my older post got missed. Could I be put on the list for turn 20?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:49:03 am by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You bet stuff has happened at Moltenchannels.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 18th Limestone, 1097

Many fires burned outside during the coronation. It seems the forces that lit Vucar the surgeon on fire also saw fit to burn the surrounding area. It must be an omen of things to come, and we should be prepared. Even if the fire imps are responsible, it means that we need to take greater care of our safety around the volcano.

That familiar "splat" sound was heard from the trapped entrance to the west. It seems a dingo or two tried to get in, but did not go very far.

This is the aftermath. Haulers brought this to the stockpile by the butchers. It will be dealt with after the unicorn skeletons are processed.

Does this look like a happy smelter to you? I think not. I ordered more gold ore to be smelted. I also ordered another mass-melting of low-quality items.

It is time to mint some coins. I am having a preliminary run made right now. These will be the first real coins we've had for a long time.

Our copper coins for this year depict the appointment of Sarvesh Enjoyedships as general of our civililization in 372. On the back is a symbol of our civilisation.

Our silver coins have a fine image of The Maroon Skies, a native copper ring, on the front. The backs of these coins have a truly masterful image of Led Rockcradled the Crystalline Romance of Excavations rising to the position of Outpost Liason 1085, before Moltenchannels became the Mountainhome. Led Rockcradled moved to Moltenchannels the following year, and is now a Hammerdwarf of considerable renown.

Finally, our gold coins have another truly masterful design, this one of the rise Eshtân Razorbanner, our first king, rising to the throne in the Year 1. The coin's back contains an exceptional image of the departure of Kel Lulledboulder, the outpost liason who succeeded Led Rockcradled, from his position in the winter of 1086. Kel Rockcradled was struck down by the troglodyte Weaknessforded in that year, and there is a memorial to him around here somewhere.

I have called off the adamantine coins until we are a little more confident of our supplies.

Diplomatic Journal of CaptainArchmage III, King of The Strategic Bodices, 1097

Today, the mayor finished negotiating a trade export agreement with Rapeanthath, a Human civilisation. It appears the humans are in great need of amulets, bracelets, pearl rings, prepared meals, tools, splints, toys, ash, anvils, and footwear. Obviously, the need for raw metal will cause problems supplying anvils, but we can make many, many prepared meals for them. Our chefs will be cooking away all year.

Why thank you.

End of Month Report by CaptainArchmage III, 28th Limestone 1097

This month, I was crowned king of The Strategic Bodices, so it must have been a good month. However, we've done even better. We have lye, which means we can now make soap. I also found the Mayor was stuck within a burrow containing rooms, so he may do the honours to get us our first batch of soap now. The human merchants are leaving now, so the depot will be clean for the autumn caravan. Besides that, we are now minting our own currency again, which is a good thing.

Up Next: You wanted to know how the towers were doing? They're getting bigger.
They may even get their very own minecart networks to keep the ammunition delivered on time.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:53:47 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, Candy coinage may be a little extravagant when our military still needs their awesome death weapons/armor. Although not so much 'death' armor as "staying alive" armor. But I wholeheartedly approve of the rest. Now if we can just get some nice gold artifact furniture through a lucky strange mood, we'll have some really fitting stuff for the palace. And to nag a little more, how's the military? Are they training themselves to make up for the losses of my turn, or are they on break so they can go haul things for the other projects?

And, to repeat the thing from above, I'd like turn 20.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, Candy coinage may be a little extravagant when our military still needs their awesome death weapons/armor. Although not so much 'death' armor as "staying alive" armor. But I wholeheartedly approve of the rest. Now if we can just get some nice gold artifact furniture through a lucky strange mood, we'll have some really fitting stuff for the palace. And to nag a little more, how's the military? Are they training themselves to make up for the losses of my turn, or are they on break so they can go haul things for the other projects?

And, to repeat the thing from above, I'd like turn 20.

I finally got more time to play.

Royal Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 17th Sandstone 1097

Today, I verified that the throne room parameters are to specification for the procedure of making rooms. A distance of up to 30 squares can be made from the throne, and I think it just squeaks in.

The architect of the above-ground room with the gem windows, Dumed Kûbuktulon, suggested that we use the adamantine I withdrew from the mint to make some pillars to reinforce an entrance. I wonder exactly what she is planning to put in there. I've had some crazy suggestions for gold and aluminium items recently, which I again approved because they could be easily recycled. I still decided to approve the project, sincewe can just remove the pillars and get the wafers back if it becomes needed by the military. We don't have enough adamantine to produce military equipment anyway, and if we re-started excavation work we would probably have more than enough to cover needs.

I ordered more steel production. We have too many iron items and not enough steel items given the amount of flux we have. Our records show we have 174 boulders of marble, and the palace project will only produce more. I hope I can obtain some more flux from the autumn caravan, since we have 66 iron bars in stock, and can manufacture 120 more from current ore supplies. As melt down old iron equipment, our reserves will only get larger. The gold ore is mostly down in the palace right now, so until we set up a supply train or a new smelter, we won't be making much more progress.

The towers at the gate were a mess of ramps and stairways to nowhere. They are now going to be re-designed properly.

Fortress Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 21st Sandstone 1097

Some dwarves mentioned a funny smell coming from the waterfall.

It seems the forgotten beast Isa has escaped from its watery prison and is now approaching the waterfall. If it gets washed down the waterfall, we're in deep trouble.

Welcome to civilization, Moltenchannels!

Some gold finally arrived so we can finish the production at another smelter. We're going to clear out all the iron supplies now to get some more steel. Unfortunately, Momuz Zanegenkos, one of the Furnace Operators decided to leave his lunch at the smelter. If he doesn't eat it or shove it in a bag soon, it is going to stink.

What's this huge pipe of stuff doing outside?

I don't even. All the smelters are working, and we have plenty of old and scavenged iron military equipment designated for melting.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:20:12 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 100