Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383819 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. I do not recall any of my losses occurring there, and Triaxx2 never had soldiers outside the fort during his turn IIRC...and the various bits of armor don't suggest that it was multiple deaths on the same tile. Unless it was two semi-equipped soldiers armed with a spare helmet. Not out of the question, but unlikely. Maybe a bin full of armor was dropped by a hauler during an attack at some point, and was then consumed by the fires? I dunno. Doesn't look all that useful anyway given how much iron and copper we've got already.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Hmm. I do not recall any of my losses occurring there, and Triaxx2 never had soldiers outside the fort during his turn IIRC...and the various bits of armor don't suggest that it was multiple deaths on the same tile. Unless it was two semi-equipped soldiers armed with a spare helmet. Not out of the question, but unlikely. Maybe a bin full of armor was dropped by a hauler during an attack at some point, and was then consumed by the fires? I dunno. Doesn't look all that useful anyway given how much iron and copper we've got already.

It might be that a mischievous ghost was slabbed and dropped a lot of items there, or possibly something to do with a goblin burning to death in a cage and having the items teleported somehow. It could also be due to a bin burning away and then dropping its contents.

I quoted 120 bars if I smelt more iron ore. The number of iron shields lying around is over 100, and I ordered a few of those to be melted down. In practice, the material doesn't really matter but the quality does, and I'd like to have steel shields because it looks pretty good. If we melted down 50 iron shields, we'd get 60 bars thanks to the "melting doesn't recover the metal used" bug or feature. I also set some helms to be melted, which return about 60%.

We currently have a masterwork gold throne and a masterwork steel mail shirt, which are both useful. I think I may have Urist McKiwi stack mail shirts.

I've also noticed some curious "missing item" entries on the equipment lists. It may be that something got deleted out of the game and there is just a placeholder item there. What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:50:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The equipment list is well and truly bugged to hell and back again. With strawberries. So frankly I've no idea.

Stacking mail shirts on McKiwi III gets my approval. Combine that with her candy breastplate (a lowish quality one, but still a candy breastplate) and the new steel armor pieces and she'll be a serious force of nature with just a little more training. Of course, since she's got a family that means she'll be hilarious when if she  goes berserk via loss of entire family in front of her. And truly, truly dashing.

Because the equipment list is so darned buggy, I'd suggest giving each soldier specific items, rather than saying "grab a steel helmet" or whatever. Otherwise they're reasonably likely to choose a random piece of equipment which may or may not fit the description, and may or may not be outside the fortress next to a horde of zombies. Even if they're already wearing a piece of armor which fits the description of what they're supposed to have. This also extends to bolts and weapons. I never worked out exactly what was happening, but it killed a lot of soldiers before I started using specific allocations to get around it during my turn.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:12:09 am by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any chance of a new update? It's over a week since the last one and nearly 2 months since this turn started....

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Monthly Report by CaptainArchmage III, 28th Sandstone 1097

I believe this sums up the end of the month well. We got a masterwork gold throne and a masterwork steel chain mail vest! Both are very useful items, and the former will be going in my throne room, which is about half-way complete. Moltenchannels continues to be a fortress in which gold is the major metal produced. Digging so far deep beneath the ground, most of the recovered metal-bearing rock is native gold. We did get sphalerite though, and we can probably make some brass.

This month I am expecting our caravan! Hopefully everything will continue to go fine.

Royal Journal, 4th Timber, 1097

Rendered Fat and Lye,
At last they shall clean themselves,
Civilization

In the soaper's shop,
High time to wash up this fort,
Get your arse moving!

The "melt item" project is in proportion,
about melting down the goblin's junk.
The other portion is about melting down,
all the substandard items hammered, forged, or otherwise produced,
all because someone decided,
to enable all labours,
on unskilled dwarves,
and then mass-order some military equipment.

Fortress Journal and Mid-Month Report by CaptainArchmage III, 14th Timber 1097

There is no sign of our caravan, so I decided to write a mid-month report to cover events so far. One of our alpacas gave birth a few days ago. I think we should really get some milk and yarn production going at this rate, if we can transfer the animals to the pasture to the north of the fortress it should keep them out of trouble.

I found Mistem, a legendary mason I'd missed on the list, and told him to stop laying down floors and start making thrones, at least to put some good furniture in New Townbrush. He produced these two masterworks, so I asked him to do some more work.

We now have a statue commemorating the foundation of our great Mountainhomes, two masterwork orthoclase doors for the palace, and plenty of superior and excellent thrones to go in a dining room.

This is supposed to be the new siege weapon training area. It will recycle ballista bolts and catapult stones so we will not deplete our war supplies. I also intend to install a mill, but I can do that on the north side of the fortress too.

Fortress Log by CaptainArchmage III, 18th Timber, 1097

They're here! The merchants have brought four wagons and a large supply of goods with them. I am going to trade all the roasts in the kitchen and see how many goods that gets us. The trade dealer will be the Polymath, who is both naked and angry at the moment.

Sneak Peak into the next update:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trading Commentary and Journal of Momuz Relictaker
24th Timber 1097

I've been asked to do the trading report, since I took up the job of trading with our caravan this year. What with the crazy activity around cleaning up the outside before the next siege, things were really busy, but we ran out of metal items to melt and with the other smelters already running, I didn't have anything else to do.

We didn't have any outstanding trade agreements from last year, probably because we were sieged at the time. Accordingly, we traded away a large number of roasts, which fetch pretty good money, not that we use money. No, out here we just have a judge of value, and just barter the items over. We traded over about ☼20826 of goods so far in about two goes, which should have netted us at least ☼13884 of items, but in practice we get a little less. I still think the value was over ☼9000. First trade was the really big one - we sold ☼18226 of prepared meals whilst waiting on some more deliveries, and purchased all the caravan's metal, gems, food, thread, cloth, leather, a pot and a minecart and some other items that depicted our artefacts, the iron anvils, some bolts, and a few steel shields and weapons to melt down.

I took a good look at the ingredients of the next item we traded over, which was this stack of 20 exceptionally prepared giant wombat brain roasts. This one really blew my mind, apparently the chef put the brains of two creatures into this, and then added donkey cheese and moghoppers. I've heard that a lot of our food supplies are actually sourced from outside now, but this is insane. I saw the kinds of food that we are buying, practically everything man.

The whole roast was worth ☼2600, and was traded for some booze, some empty barrels, some tapir milk, and some more metal items to be melted down in the forges. The caravan had an insane amount of tapir milk and cheese, is this really a thing outside the Mountainhomes? It sure goes to show how the world has gone fucking crazy since I moved over here, and the madness is spreading. You know how we got a massive stockpile of wood a few floors down? Well I heard the surface wood was mass-forbidden, and instead the carpenter was using all the underground wood to make new beds and shit. They're being installed someplace, and I don't know on whose orders. The beds ordered by the king went down to that new barracks that was carved out before work began on the palace. There was also that massive window-installing operation on, and there were requests for red and yellow gems which really emptied out the entire stockpile. Once they were half or a quarter of the way way through this construction, one of the glassmakers started making really high quality windows, and the lower quality stock was ordered to be flogged off. Its still pretty good, there are about ☼400 worth sitting around here now. I wonder what they're trying to do around there?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:47:06 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you'd taken the next turn we could make some jokes about selling the '98 version of Windows.

How much gold do we actually have these days? I know it's a lot, but are we at the stage where we could weaponise it?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you'd taken the next turn we could make some jokes about selling the '98 version of Windows.

How much gold do we actually have these days? I know it's a lot, but are we at the stage where we could weaponise it?

In total I think we have over 500 bars, most of the bars used to build things like floors and pillars and defensive walls. I believe we have at least another 400 bars on the way thanks to the palace project mining out a ridiculous amount of gold. To weaponise the gold, we'd need to have a minecart accelerator hallway, which is doable with things like impulse ramps.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

McKiwi, have you ever played X-Com Interceptor?

I never have been able to get impulse ramps to work correctly.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've regrettably never played any of the X-COM games. I only really started gaming in the early 2000's and never really got into it until '09 or so. So when Interceptor came out I was probably...about to discover SimIsle: Missions in the Title I Can Never Get Quite Right Because it's Too Long, which had me thinking "Actually these game thingies are kinda neat". Or possibly about to discover Mario. Hard to remember back to when I was little.

Whether it's weaponising it or making a gigantic golden tower that serves no functional purpose but to signal passing spacecraft, we should probably work out something cool to do with all that gold. I mean, we could sell it, but where's the fun in that?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:44:34 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Royal End-of-Season Report by CaptainArchmage III
28th Timber 1097

I found this iron pot with an image of one of our artefacts on it in schist. Someone must be a fan of Moltenchannels, I like this!

Winter is just around the corner here at Moltenchannels. The trees have shed their leaves, and the temperatures have fallen a little. The dwarven caravan brought many items, and is currently making deals for our legendary prepared meals. The word of our fortress has spread throughout the world, and our artefacts are depicted upon the goods manufactured by the outer lands. Our civilisation is well on its way to reign supreme! The Plan is to be put into action before the end of the year. I haven't told anyone about that (the ink becomes a little blotted here)

SURE YOU HAVE

Whoa I don't really know what came over me there! It must be stress from overwork. I should really try to relax a little, now that my personal dining table is in the palace dining hall, and the throne is in my throne room. I'm going to move my bedroom down there too once that is completed, too. I don't know why but there's something a little strange with my bedroom in New Townbrush. I feel like I'm being watched. I know dwarves use the plumbing to get around here because the plumbing doesn't have any water in it yet, and I hear them every now and then climb down the aquatunnel behind my bed, and climb out of the wells. That's not what bothers me, because those are the sounds of life in a great fortress. Something, somewhere, is watching me. It has been watching us for a long time. I don't know what it is, but it seems to be focused nearby. We've had strange things creeping into the stock reports such as items nobody has seen before or nobody remembers cataloguing. Our military manifests have been a little altered. Take a look at this.

This is a rubbing of a military equipment list for the Royal Fist's militia captain, Urist McKiwi III

I found this anomaly when I went to assign two masterwork steel chain mail shirts to Urist McKiwi III. There is this "missing item" there. Its like someone altered the entry, but our memories were also altered with it. We had a full enquiry, but nobody could figure out or remember what the list used to look like, not even the ghosts. It also happened to me, personally.

This is another rubbing of a military equipment list for the Royal Fist, this time regarding CaptainArchmage III

This is my equipment list. There's another "missing item" thing there. I was only signed up to the squad a few months ago, and I know I was there checking the list! Its like a blank space in my mind. I'll try to get to the bottom of it; in the meantime the dwarves are fixing up one of the road exits and should put in an entrance to the depths once they are done carving out the throne room. We've also got the next batch of trade goods to go and sell.

Brr. I think its going to be a long winter. The outside is almost completely cleaned up now, so we're going to fix the outside roads and close the gates.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 2nd Moonstone, 1097

It has arrived.

Horrified screams come from the readers!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:14:23 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow. Now I can buy entire mountains with my pocket change.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah. I just asked because it had several jokes about windows 98.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your magic missing item is almost certainly a helmet. I'm not sure why it would be missing, but apparently it is. It could be that it's a specific-item assignment from my turn where the item itself has since been destroyed/melted/whatever. Thus the game is telling the dwarf "wear this specific....um.....well it doesn't exist, but wear it anyway!"

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your magic missing item is almost certainly a helmet. I'm not sure why it would be missing, but apparently it is. It could be that it's a specific-item assignment from my turn where the item itself has since been destroyed/melted/whatever. Thus the game is telling the dwarf "wear this specific....um.....well it doesn't exist, but wear it anyway!"

It just keeps getting better.

Journal of CaptainArchmage III, 9th Moonstone 1097

Winter is truly upon us. As the Masons erect the remains of one of our old roads as obelisks lining the path of the new one under construction, many trees need to be cut down. The goblin siege sure is late this year!

Do you smell something disgusting? After fixing some stockpile rules that resulted in a prepared meal rotting in one of Urist McDonald's kitchens, I noticed this:

Some of the late count's smelly socks, dirty and tattered underwear, shoes, cloak, and robe were lying around the public eating place in violation of food safety rules. I discovered that the public eating place is also his tomb, so items belonging to him are stored here. Because his tomb has no storage cabinets or chests, this also means "drop anything that belonged to him anywhere on the floor". Holy shit.

More animals have been giving birth. Have we been milking them, though?

Our craftsdwarves continue to produce masterwork items! In this case, AnimaRytak forged a masterwork golden chain. It was about time.

I am taking Urist McKiwi's advice and considering this to be some kind of vile plot to damage our military readiness. Since AnimaRytak is done forging chains, I'm going to have him make some steel helmets instead. Quality control should demand these be Masterworks!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:37:12 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Readiness? Our military is always ready to die!
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 100