Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385681 times)

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's bp920091's turn. It's honestly been a while since he's posted... my turn is next after his. I could conceivably pick up the save today and play it.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's bp920091's turn. It's honestly been a while since he's posted... my turn is next after his. I could conceivably pick up the save today and play it.

It's been nearly three weeks. Maybe PM him, wait a day, then go for it if there's nothing.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's been another week. If no one's taking the save within the next few days, I'll download it myself and carry on.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, we skip turn. McKiwi next.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, we skip turn. McKiwi next.

Righto. Bit of work to do in RL (cleaning up ahead of a visit by relatives, having said visit, and then I've got to head back to Uni in 2 weeks), but I'll see what I can do around all of that. I'm thinking I'll work on topside construction.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, sign me up for another turn at the end of the list. I'm feeling a glutton for punishment. :D

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf.

1st Granite, 1098

So we have a new overseer. Some peasant I've never heard of..."Meng Rirnolas". Apparently a fairly decent chap in the past, but lately he's had a few scares...and then fell down the stairs and hit his head. Now he's decided he's a master architect, despite having no training at all in that area of expertise. Armok help us all....still, the King has been quite clear that he no longer wishes (for now) to run the daily operations of the fortress. So I'll see what this fellow wants...then see if we can turn them into something that won't kill us all. They're calling him "Mad Meng".....although he doesn't seem that mad just yet, I'll have to keep an eye on him.

-------------

Only just downloaded the save. Our new overseer is "Mad Meng", who has decided to take up architecture. From scratch!

Given I've got no idea whatsoever what half the stuff above ground does*, I figure that by the end of this turn I'll either have made some nice walls and stuff.....or if Meng's mental health continues to decline (or he goes mad ingame. he's had some nasty experiences lately as a result of a certain royal's policies) then I'm going to roleplay it to the very end........ and no one else will ever understand our above-ground workings either.

I also dorfed Sebastian2203 as a farmer. A local, because we don't get migrants these days.

*I think I can see a mostly-finished magma-weapon that will, at best, leak profusely if it's turned on, but frankly I have no intention of pulling levers to test this hypothesis.

We've also got unburied corpses and a room full of rotting dead animals being swarmed by a horde of starving kittens. I'd forgotten how charming this place was. The outside is a mix of forgotten machinery, half finished towers and animal blood. And it just caught fire again, so we're headed back for the "less photogenic parts of Mordor" look.

Continued!

Scribblings of "Mad Meng", Master Architect

1st Slate

It has come well! Well! The walls are going up and the platforms are planned and the bees are almost ready!

I must be quick. There is so much and so little time to build it in. My masterpiece...yes....I must be quack. Truly....my dream shall be an inspiration to all once it is built.

I must be quick..

------------

Please note that Meng is not deranged or madder-than-usual when talking about bees. It's a questionable design choice, but there are indeed bees involved. He's an artist. They do this sort of thing apparently.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:49:36 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Surprising, the magma weapon is the only thing that actually works the way it's supposed to and does so consistently. Of course it doesn't work WELL, but you can only ask so much.

Also, is that bloody minecart broken AGAIN? If it is, let me know and I'll get the save and analyze it.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Surprising, the magma weapon is the only thing that actually works the way it's supposed to and does so consistently. Of course it doesn't work WELL, but you can only ask so much.

Also, is that bloody minecart broken AGAIN? If it is, let me know and I'll get the save and analyze it.

I shut down the minecart line completely. There are some things that should not be disposed of, such as bones. Why? Because we needed bones to make more bolts. Throwing away bones is like throwing away useable stacks of bolts, and Moltenchannels is a dangerous place.

You should be able to tell that from the outside.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I shut down the minecart line completely. There are some things that should not be disposed of, such as bones. Why? Because we needed bones to make more bolts. Throwing away bones is like throwing away useable stacks of bolts, and Moltenchannels is a dangerous place.

I'm getting twenty-seven frames per second. The bones are going in the volcano until framerate improves. We've got rotting corpses everywhere, and it's not hygenic. They should be in the corpse-mountains outside.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I'm getting twenty-seven frames per second. The bones are going in the volcano until framerate improves. We've got rotting corpses everywhere, and it's not hygenic. They should be in the corpse-mountains outside.

You can use the tombs I just dug out. There are plenty of empty ones. For some reason though, people keep shoving more coffins into Wall-To-Wall Burial Chamber #175 rather than using the ample space already available elsewhere. It is the same with the beds.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can use the tombs I just dug out. There are plenty of empty ones. For some reason though, people keep shoving more coffins into Wall-To-Wall Burial Chamber #175 rather than using the ample space already available elsewhere. It is the same with the beds.

So far as I can tell, only 2-3 of them are dwarven. I'll see if I can find your tombs later today. I've been extending the wall-to-wall chambers a bit just in case, mind. Interestingly one of our ghosts has been assigned a tomb in one of said chambers, which doesn't seemed to have helped much. I'll see about some slabs.

The real problem is animal carcasses left over from the geniuses who decided to have an underground pasture with no feed. Either that or the kittens ganged up and slaughtered them (that's not a joke either. Dear lord we've got too many kittens in this place). Speaking of kittens, I'm sending about 5-10 of them to the slaughterhouse, to be followed by as many other ones as I can find soon. If I actually knew how cages and caging worked then I'd put them all in a single cage and use them as a fortress defense system, but I don't.

Also your royal quarters and other rooms are apparently insufficient for a royal of your royalness. I'm adding some gold statues and stuff to bump the value up if that's OK.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for double-posting, but I always give updates their own post.

Diary of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf

5th Slate

It's been a while since the last one, but a familiar screaming roar has risen from the depths. Sounds like we've got a new ungodly horror down there*.

Meng seems....odd. At times he's almost sane. Other times....well...not so much. I can see why they call him mad. Still, he called me into his new office, asked me if I wanted anything in the new areas he's designing. Seemed quite happy to build some firing galleries into the new towers and suchlike. His architectural plans are....unusual, to say the least, but while hardly optimal, they certainly would work.......

Then, after a completely normal conversation, he got this weird look in his eyes, shook for a few seconds, then asked me a question that still makes me shudder.

"How do you feel about.....bees?"

"What?"
"Bees! Buzzy! Bizzzzzt!"
"Ehm...I quite like them, actually. In moderation-"
"Moderation YES! I will have BEES! BEEEEEEES!!!"

Then he went back to normal and just kept going like nothing had happened! I told him about the new monster and he agreed that it'd be prudent to see about upgrading the walls in the cavern compound while all the construction work is underway....and then we shook hands and agreed to meet again in a week or so to go over his plans for firing galleries and secured walkways.

I am suddenly struck by an extreme feeling of relief that my quarters are well away from this new building work. I mean, I've got no problems with bees. I like bees! I do beekeeping (a most dashing side-occupation if ever there was!)! But the orders I've seen going to the metalworkers are...well... Who on earth needs ninety beehives? It wouldn't be very dashing to doubt the dwarf who has been entrusted with the revival of our mountainhome's architecture...but still. I think that I might have a word with Udib if these...episodes.....continue.

In other news, Meng asked me to go get the corpse-disposers going again. Our noble King had a policy of delivering massively complex contradictory orders that stopped them from running properly so that bone bolts could be made. While admirable, since our archers are indeed one of our greatest strengths, Meng feels that the workers would be better suited building his dream project. I just want to be able to eat lunch without seeing dead things everywhere, so I'm all for it.

----------------------

*It's a giant one-eyed sauropod. It's got fire, so I'm not touching it. It's in the middle caverns. I don't think it can fly, so we should be good to go with the compound down there.

Basically I'm still getting the fortress going and sorting it out to increase framerate and free-up workers. The carts are now both running and I've already improved to an average of 30FPS. I've got most free labour working on the two small towers I've started to build. THe foundations are.....odd. I changed my building tactic midway through them, so they're gonna stay odd, sadly. But the rest of them should be fairly normal, if a bit slow to build. I'm using stone/wood, not glass....again, to remove items and improve framerate.

I've also started work to set up more traffic designations to try to improve pathfinding. Seems to be working OK so far.

I'm not sure how far I'm gonna go with the bees thing. I'm really not. But having ordered 90+ beehives, I've got to do *something*. If all else fails I'll install them as a kind of low-budget "curse" on CaptainArchmage's tomb. "May you be repeatedly stung by bees as you loot my tomb" is a pretty good curse as they go.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:37:42 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The carts should only be pulling from the stockpiles which when last I left them were filtering out bones.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quite frankly I'd throw our gold into the volcano if it sped up the framerate. But since there's plenty of corpses and I need the gold for construction+beehives, I'm sticking to corpses.

Edit: Fixed cut-off sentence when I first posted this.

Also, In a nutshell, the construction plan as overseen by Mad Meng is to construct 4-6 new towers around the edges of the map, extend a couple of the existing ones, and possibly add some accommodations and the like in and around/on top of existing structures. Maybe some sculpture gardens as well. And bees. Lots of bees. Exact plans aren't certain, and these aren't going to be the prettiest towers ever, since I'm basing them off the existing constructions that others have done, and I'm going for a "get it built" approach rather than a "make it all out of one material" approach. I'm assigning dwarves as they become idle, and I'm hoping to have a network of platforms linking the perimeter towers, with bridges to seal them off if necessary. Should be quite nice and speed up militia response times...if I can finish it.

Edit2: I'll do an update later today or tomorrow IC as Meng, explaining what I'm doing. I think if I can get this to work it should go rather well.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:33:51 pm by Urist McKiwi »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 100