Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383868 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile

The FB's will have their corpses completely destroyed if you burn them with magma. Undead don't get killed via magma, but unless the FB is immune to fire or bleeding out, you should be able to kill it with fire.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A lot of options. I could also modify the compound into a FB trap with lots and lots of spikes. But I'm not sure I've got enough spare dwarves for any of this....I'm already running too much construction work (they're ignoring the original orders and working on more recent ones, making it less efficient).

I'll see if I can free up some workers and do something about the problem.

Edit: The special attacks of the last 4 were: 2X Fire, 1X Noxious gas 1X webs. I don't know about the other 7. We could probably use the webs, but if I'm going to do any work against the FBs it will involve stabbing, so capturing it is probably a mission for a future overseer.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:57:51 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

A lot of options. I could also modify the compound into a FB trap with lots and lots of spikes. But I'm not sure I've got enough spare dwarves for any of this....I'm already running too much construction work (they're ignoring the original orders and working on more recent ones, making it less efficient).

I'll see if I can free up some workers and do something about the problem.

Edit: The special attacks of the last 4 were: 2X Fire, 1X Noxious gas 1X webs. I don't know about the other 7. We could probably use the webs, but if I'm going to do any work against the FBs it will involve stabbing, so capturing it is probably a mission for a future overseer.

We definitely want to capture the beast with webs, which if I am right is the giant spider that has been down there for a few years now since my second turn.

The webs should be harvested so we can find a reliable source of silk.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We definitely want to capture the beast with webs, which if I am right is the giant spider that has been down there for a few years now since my second turn.

It isn't. It's a brand new one. A giant shrimp, to be precise.

I just looked at them properly, and here's the list:

1. Aste - giant crab with poisonous gas (this one has rotten feet from stepping in extract from other FBs)
2. Gorhax - enormous eyeless shrimp with webs
3. On - one-eyed sauropod with fire
4. Ijat - hairy chameleon (lavender coloured, even) with fire.
5. Wami - towering three-eyed mayfly with fire.
6. Nunur Bocashvuthil - giant mud quadruped with poisonous vapours. Should be an easy kill, being mud and all that.
7. Spos Asngeksodor - enormous three-eyed lobster. Has noxious secretions.
8. Anan Ugoshrakust - giant humanoid made of water, has webs. Has wings. Also an easy kill, so it might be the safest of the FBs to capture for web-work if we want to do that.  think this one's in the lower level cavern
9. Stumstu - One-eyed lobster. Has a "hunger for warm blood".
10. One - Gint humanoid made of green zircon (break out the hammers, I guess). Poisonous gas.
11. Isa - Massive skinless 8-legged kangaroo. Poisonous bite (this one has also stepped in rotting extract, so it's got rotten feet as well. We'd do well to work out exactly what extract causes that rot before any combat.
12. Zolak Omugathingiebob (name's too long to bother with) - giant humanoid, made of flame. Nothing special and theoretically an easy kill.
13.Slalsto - giant one-eyed horse. Has wings. Deadly dust. This guy's trapped between a bunch of trees, the edge of the map, and the solid rock around it. So it's not a worry.

On the other hand, we've only got two ghosts right now.

I'm now in mid-late summer. Construction has picked up a little, but I don't think I'll be finished by the end of the year. I might be able to get some of the walkways done, but not roofed. The most important thing is done: I've connected the new bridges to the old control systems so we can seal off the outer compound.

Edit: meanwhile, our marksdwarves are beating a beserk horse to death with their crossbows and something/one has just fallen into the moat. So yeah, the wierdness and stuff is still going strong here.
Edit2: New FB added to list.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:02:45 am by Urist McKiwi »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

12. Zolak Omugathingiebob (name's too long to bother with) - giant humanoid, made of flame. Nothing special and theoretically an easy kill.
Isn't that the one that killed the old Queen? If so, definitely not an easy kill (at least not in melee combat).

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It isn't. It's a brand new one. A giant shrimp, to be precise.

I just looked at them properly, and here's the list:

1. Aste - giant crab with poisonous gas (this one has rotten feet from stepping in extract from other FBs)
2. Gorhax - enormous eyeless shrimp with webs
3. On - one-eyed sauropod with fire
4. Ijat - hairy chameleon (lavender coloured, even) with fire.
5. Wami - towering three-eyed mayfly with fire.
6. Nunur Bocashvuthil - giant mud quadruped with poisonous vapours. Should be an easy kill, being mud and all that.
7. Spos Asngeksodor - enormous three-eyed lobster. Has noxious secretions.
8. Anan Ugoshrakust - giant humanoid made of water, has webs. Has wings. Also an easy kill, so it might be the safest of the FBs to capture for web-work if we want to do that.  think this one's in the lower level cavern
9. Stumstu - One-eyed lobster. Has a "hunger for warm blood".
10. One - Gint humanoid made of green zircon (break out the hammers, I guess). Poisonous gas.
11. Isa - Massive skinless 8-legged kangaroo. Poisonous bite (this one has also stepped in rotting extract, so it's got rotten feet as well. We'd do well to work out exactly what extract causes that rot before any combat.
13.Slalsto - giant one-eyed horse. Has wings. Deadly dust. This guy's trapped between a bunch of trees, the edge of the map, and the solid rock around it. So it's not a worry.

On the other hand, we've only got two ghosts right now.

I'm now in mid-late summer. Construction has picked up a little, but I don't think I'll be finished by the end of the year. I might be able to get some of the walkways done, but not roofed. The most important thing is done: I've connected the new bridges to the old control systems so we can seal off the outer compound.

Edit: meanwhile, our marksdwarves are beating a beserk horse to death with their crossbows and something/one has just fallen into the moat. So yeah, the wierdness and stuff is still going strong here.
Edit2: New FB added to list.

I think one of the forgotten beasts is already in containment. Can you confirm?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OP updated.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We should make an attempt to kill these ones with fire, if only to stop the log spam.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

28th Galena (Late Morning). Upper Courtyard. Conversation between Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf, and Udib Wastedlabor, Priest of Armok.

'Ah! Udib! There you are! I don't suppose you've seen the architect around? I need to talk to him about these beehives.....people are getting stung a lot and they're complaining to me about it.'
I'm afraid not, McKiwi. I've been looking for him myself over some other matters. Nurse Cutey apparently saw him yesterday in the old dining room. Perhaps we should go and look together?
'I really hope he hasn't fallen down the waterfall. No one else understands those diagrams he's drawn up of everything, and the last thing we need is one of those horrible things in the caves learning that edible things come from the drains. Also the whole "we're building too many beehives in areas with too many people" issue.'
'Why don't you just not install hives if they're somewhere you think would be a problem?'
'Disobey a lawful order? That would hardly be dashing at all.'
'I suppose you have a point, McKiwi. Let's go find our 'Master Architect'....'

Scribblings of "Mad Meng" Rirnolas. Date Unknown.

I have to keep it out. I have to keep it out. I can't even sleep these days without it trying to get in. The bees keep it away, but if I sleep that won't work.....

I am so tired.....

-------------------------

We've got one of the beasties contained, but I don't know exactly which one. The log spam/combat/burning undead is causing a bit of lag, I think. I'll not be touching it though since construction is literally taking every single dwarf we have and then some.

And the complaints McKiwi's been getting aren't too far off the mark. We've been getting a lot of bee stings.

EDIT: Also, these updates are kinda weird because besides killing 3 kobolds and a berserk horse, there's nothing to report except "I built walls!". So I'm inventing plot to fill in the gaps. The upside of this is that I have finally come up with a logical (for a dwarf) reason for the bee thing, having ditched about 3 previous ideas.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:54:13 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We're now into Autumn. I won't finish the construction during my turn, but it will be advanced enough that others can finish it easily if they wish to do so.

Diary of Urist McKiwi III, Dashing Swordsdwarf

1st Sandstone

A fine mess we're in! Getting this work done by the end of the year was supposed to be our priority, but Meng's up and vanished! Haven't seen him for over a month now. He's still alive, because other people are seeing him. Apparently he's been mutering even more than usual. Bad business. I'll send a squad to comb the fortress. We're way behind schedule, and that's not really dashing. Still, at least the orders for more beehives have stopped coming in.

My own attempt with Udib failed miserably. The old priest ran off after some ghost that floated by. Some speardwarf I didn't recognise. Rather annoying, if you ask me. We've got enough restless dead of our own here without importing the damned things.

That chap who kept running up to me a few years back says we've been having a run of mad animals of late. Looks like old McDuck's trying to slip in again. Or the bees are getting to them. I'll tell Udib once we've finished work for the day...

-------------------------

So here's what the fortress looks like at the Z level shown in the plans in one of my older updates as of 2nd Sandstone (Warning: Large image):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's also stuff on the Z levels above and below this, but this is the most important level.
One problem I'm facing is a massive bottleneck that's cutting off my supply of mechanisms. Thus a lot of bridges aren't attached to levers, and several levers aren't attached to bridges. I may be able to fix this, otherwise I'll leave notes as to what isn't doing anything. The most important things (the moat connections at ground level) are all sorted.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The large tower in the south of the island looks like it could be turned into an arena. It also looks like you have been using some wood.

If the stone runs low, you can designate some rooms in the upper layers of rock, either for storage or for workshops. That should produce enough stone for blocks.

Have we had any migrants? Tried using forcemigrants in DFHack?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:17:50 am by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The large tower in the south of the island looks like it could be turned into an arena. It also looks like you have been using some wood.

If the stone runs low, you can designate some rooms in the upper layers of rock, either for storage or for workshops. That should produce enough stone for blocks.

Have we had any migrants? Tried using forcemigrants in DFHack?

In order:

I don't have any plans for that area, but it could probably be turned into a water tank, arena, or whatever. Just make sure the walkways are sealed off.

I've used everything for this build. Wood, blocks, raw stone, aluminium, bismuth, gold, soap.......in fact we're almost entirely out of rock blocks and I'm switching entirely to raw stone and metal for the later bits because it's faster. I've felled every tree in our underground compound twice and everything on the surface 5 times. When building a wall, our metal stockpiles are now closer to the surface than our available stone stocks (in future this won't be the case, as I've designated some big stone stockpiles on the surface that should fill up once construction ends).

We've had no migrants, and I don't use/know how to use DFhack. If people think it's worth it, I'll set it up and force a migrant wave....they can come in through the trap corridor.

I'm heading back to uni tomorrow, but I've got a week before coursework starts up. So I've plenty of time to sort out DFhack and the like before continuing the project.

Edit: Also, in preparation for potentially being able to kit out our new towers (assuming they ever get built. THe ground floors of several ones don't actually exist) I've watched the entirety of Protect and Survive. I'm really looking forward to this.... :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:46:51 am by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Bees? BEES! - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1062 on: January 18, 2014, 04:30:34 pm »

I would wait for something bad to actually happen and population to drop (how many dwarfs are there currently?) before trying some arcane DFHack magic.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 18, 2014, 04:47:45 pm »

I would wait for something bad to actually happen and population to drop (how many dwarfs are there currently?) before trying some arcane DFHack magic.

The population has, actually, dropped since a few years ago. It used to be 180 or so, but it went down to about 120. Getting a full sized migration wave would help bump the population up so we can truly call ourselves the Mountainhome.

I'd suggest making a backup of the save and then trying the forcemigrants command.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 18, 2014, 07:34:27 pm »

Yes, you've got me to thank for that. Our population went from 185 to 145 in a year during my last turn, courtesy of about 4 sieges and 2-3 FBs. It was a far more eventful year than this one, certainly. Our population has increased by one during this year so far, up to 138 or so. Basically, we're still feeling the impacts of those sieges. If we didn't have problems with bugs, we'd be getting huge migrant waves from all the prosperity of the last few turns.

I'm not touching the save today: got to settle in here at uni (horrible prepaid internet. Eurgh). But I can do a backup and DFhack later. IC it can be the king sending out some resettlement orders.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 100