Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383861 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Bees? BEES! - Overseers needed (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1065 on: January 18, 2014, 09:29:22 pm »

Yes, you've got me to thank for that. Our population went from 185 to 145 in a year during my last turn, courtesy of about 4 sieges and 2-3 FBs. It was a far more eventful year than this one, certainly. Our population has increased by one during this year so far, up to 138 or so. Basically, we're still feeling the impacts of those sieges. If we didn't have problems with bugs, we'd be getting huge migrant waves from all the prosperity of the last few turns.

I'm not touching the save today: got to settle in here at uni (horrible prepaid internet. Eurgh). But I can do a backup and DFhack later. IC it can be the king sending out some resettlement orders.

If you can get DFhack to work, we could also increase the population cap to something like 250-400. A real Mountainhome should be quite large. Its not like the FPS is going to become really worse than it already is.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 19, 2014, 12:31:22 am »

Yes, you've got me to thank for that. Our population went from 185 to 145 in a year during my last turn, courtesy of about 4 sieges and 2-3 FBs. It was a far more eventful year than this one, certainly. Our population has increased by one during this year so far, up to 138 or so. Basically, we're still feeling the impacts of those sieges. If we didn't have problems with bugs, we'd be getting huge migrant waves from all the prosperity of the last few turns.

I'm not touching the save today: got to settle in here at uni (horrible prepaid internet. Eurgh). But I can do a backup and DFhack later. IC it can be the king sending out some resettlement orders.

If you can get DFhack to work, we could also increase the population cap to something like 250-400. A real Mountainhome should be quite large. Its not like the FPS is going to become really worse than it already is.

I agree. It's too hot today to run DF without my laptop melting, but when I was running it full bore a few days ago it was managing 25FPS rock steady during construction....which considering how much pathfinding and stuff is going in is actually pretty good. For major construction projects (New Townbrush, Meng's Masterpiece, the Palace, etc) we really need more dwarves so we can have some peeps devoted to support jobs and let everyone else toil away non-stop.

Once the temperature drops to something that'll let me run the game again, I'll investigate DFhack. No assurances, since I've never used it before.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 21, 2014, 03:39:17 am »

Conversation between "Mad Meng" Rirnolas and King CaptainArchmage III (I). 2nd Sandstone, 1098.

"The bees will keep it away....the bees will, oh! My liege!"
'Meng Rirnolas! I hear that things are behind schedule! Is there anything more you need?
'Ahhh...yes, your highness. More dwarves. I don't think I can be finished by the time my mandate ends with the current workforce, and we really don't have enough children to-"
"And so you'd like me to call in our fellow citizens from a lesser fortress?"
"Well....yes!"
".......Alright then. I'll write you some letters and send them out to the world. Let's see about getting you some more dwarfpower. Oh, and drop by McKiwi some time. She's been looking for you to check some construction details..

Meng yawns as he leaves the chamber. He looks visibly tired and his eyes are bloodshot.
------
DFhack is up and running. I ran the command for forcing migrants, nothing happened, so I did it again. I'll see if anything happens. If not, then I'm not going to bother trying to troubleshoot it.

Edit: Fixed the date. It doesn't seem to have worked. Either I messed it up (first time using DFhack, so it's quite probable) or the bugs are stopping it....or it'll work later or something. I'll update properly tomorrow. Things are sloooooooooow. And not for FPS reasons either. Although we're getting some mechanisms now so I can do basic bridge setups for a few of the lockdown bits. It's not going to be very neat though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:03:33 am by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 21, 2014, 12:52:08 pm »

I agree. It's too hot today to run DF without my laptop melting, but when I was running it full bore a few days ago it was managing 25FPS rock steady during construction....which considering how much pathfinding and stuff is going in is actually pretty good. For major construction projects (New Townbrush, Meng's Masterpiece, the Palace, etc) we really need more dwarves so we can have some peeps devoted to support jobs and let everyone else toil away non-stop.

Once the temperature drops to something that'll let me run the game again, I'll investigate DFhack. No assurances, since I've never used it before.

Your estimated location: Australia during an

☼Epic Level☼ !!Heat Wave!!

Conversation between "Mad Meng" Rirnolas and King CaptainArchmage III (I). 2nd Sandstone, 1098.

"The bees will keep it away....the bees will, oh! My liege!"
'Meng Rirnolas! I hear that things are behind schedule! Is there anything more you need?
'Ahhh...yes, your highness. More dwarves. I don't think I can be finished by the time my mandate ends with the current workforce, and we really don't have enough children to-"
"And so you'd like me to call in our fellow citizens from a lesser fortress?"
"Well....yes!"
".......Alright then. I'll write you some letters and send them out to the world. Let's see about getting you some more dwarfpower. Oh, and drop by McKiwi some time. She's been looking for you to check some construction details..

Meng yawns as he leaves the chamber. He looks visibly tired and his eyes are bloodshot.
------
DFhack is up and running. I ran the command for forcing migrants, nothing happened, so I did it again. I'll see if anything happens. If not, then I'm not going to bother trying to troubleshoot it.

Edit: Fixed the date. It doesn't seem to have worked. Either I messed it up (first time using DFhack, so it's quite probable) or the bugs are stopping it....or it'll work later or something. I'll update properly tomorrow. Things are sloooooooooow. And not for FPS reasons either. Although we're getting some mechanisms now so I can do basic bridge setups for a few of the lockdown bits. It's not going to be very neat though.

Try forcing a caravan and see whether that works. If it does, we may be unable to sort this out at until the next version of Dwarf Fortress comes out.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 21, 2014, 02:53:00 pm »

Actually New Zealand after the remains of their heatwave cools down a lot and crosses the Tasman. If I'd been in Australia during the heat wave I wouldn't even have got the computer started. My computer just doesn't have a very good cooling system.:P

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 21, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »

Actually New Zealand after the remains of their heatwave cools down a lot and crosses the Tasman. If I'd been in Australia during the heat wave I wouldn't even have got the computer started. My computer just doesn't have a very good cooling system.:P

If you were in Australia you'd probably be actively on fire at this point  :P my uncle's there and it's enough to make him miss northern Canada.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 21, 2014, 09:52:09 pm »

If you were in Australia you'd probably be actively on fire at this point  :P my uncle's there and it's enough to make him miss northern Canada.

General situation: the rest of the world ended up in a heat wave (hotter than normal temperatures) while a significant part of North America got a cold wave.

This is like having a dwarf fortress world where a certain area a distance from the poles the temperatures is very much below freezing, but a number of other areas are sufficiently hot to set things on fire, and in in general things are a lot hotter than normal with "temperate" regions where the weather does not get cold enough to freeze water.

Nightmare scenario: too hot to go outside, too hot to start computer.

We might be able to call up the DFhack people on creating a script to properly summon dwarves to the fortress, as in the Town Portal Masterwork system I am seeing on the manual (disclaimer that I don't play Masterwork thanks to the new version not being out for Mac or Linux).

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:43 pm »

You are aware of the old Boiling Cookbook challenge? Some of the test worlds that got generated as part of it came very close to that description....pity the game won't let you generate worlds where dogs explode and anvil melt on embark any more. At least, not consistantly. Now that was a fun way to play DF.

Well, it's worth a shot trying to get a custom thingie done. But that'll be for a later turn I guess. For now I'm just gonna continue the save and finish what I can. I've improvised a few different plots and I'm going with the "in case of nothing happening" one.

(Do you mind if I write a scene with King CaptainArchmageTheThirdTheFirstGeezThisNameIsGettingLong finding out he's been universally ignored by the rest of the civilisation? Alternatively you can do it. I'm not that good at writing "angry"...)

Basically, this construction has no hope in hell of being finished in time. The order the dwarves build in is weird and inefficient, and there's the odd cancellation/suspension to deal with. However, I've almost finished the lockdown controls that will secure the fortress as it is currently designed.....basically, cutting off everything east/northeast/southeast of the main fort across the moat. Given we now have four ways across said moat (2 of them unfinished, and a 5th that hasn't been started), this is actually rather important.

Worst of all, I have no beehives left!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:04:46 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 21, 2014, 11:28:03 pm »

You are aware of the old Boiling Cookbook challenge? Some of the test worlds that got generated as part of it came very close to that description....pity the game won't let you generate worlds where dogs explode and anvil melt on embark any more. At least, not consistantly. Now that was a fun way to play DF.

Well, it's worth a shot trying to get a custom thingie done. But that'll be for a later turn I guess. For now I'm just gonna continue the save and finish what I can. I've improvised a few different plots and I'm going with the "in case of nothing happening" one.

(Do you mind if I write a scene with King CaptainArchmageTheThirdTheFirstGeezThisNameIsGettingLong finding out he's been universally ignored by the rest of the civilisation? Alternatively you can do it. I'm not that good at writing "angry"...)

Basically, this construction has no hope in hell of being finished in time. The order the dwarves build in is weird and inefficient, and there's the odd cancellation/suspension to deal with. However, I've almost finished the lockdown controls that will secure the fortress as it is currently designed.....basically, cutting off everything east/northeast/southeast of the main fort across the moat. Given we now have four ways across said moat (2 of them unfinished, and a 5th that hasn't been started), this is actually rather important.

Worst of all, I have no beehives left!

I can write it.

How is mining going on? You might want to assign miners to carve out areas higher up. I think we need more food storage, and we could use the stone.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:36 am »

How is mining going on?

It isn't. Everyone's on "build crap" mode. :P

Edit:

"OW! Not dashing! NOT dashing at ALL. MENG!!!!"

Also visible: Newly possessed leathermaker sits down to make something, and our other decent leathermaker continues churning out stuff I've ordered. We have a minor "clothes are falling off dwarves" issue that I'm trying to work on in between screaming 'BUILD WALLS RAMPS FLOORS HIVES RAAAAAR' at random dwarves.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:53:18 am by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 22, 2014, 04:35:37 pm »

Well, I've no idea what our leatherworker is making, but it's shiny. Giant lion tamarin leather (of course), three different types of gems, some raw green glass, a whole bunch of unicorn bones, and some copper nuggets. Hopefully it's something wearable, since we're out of leather for making clothes and shoes now.

And McKiwi has been stung by another bee. Maybe beekeeping requires clothing other than heavy plate mail? :P

Edit: It's....a rather spectacular turban, of all things. I've given it to one of the militia for the hell of it.

Edit2: New side effect of the bees. We currently have a planter running around carrying a swarm of bees to put in a hive, unable to find a hive to put them in. Lots of announcement spam. :)

Edit3: Actually it's even better. He's been trapped in a corner surrounded by beehives. Apparently when you're carrying a bunch of bees you can't move diagonally, so CaptainArchmage's hives (not my ones, ironically) have made a perfect trap for errant beekeepers. I'll knock a hole in the wall behind him and get him out that way.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:58:16 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 23, 2014, 08:53:48 pm »

He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 24, 2014, 03:52:15 am »

They're not getting bigger as such....there's just more of them.

That said, the fact that our beehives have started grouping together to ambush lone dwarves is probably a bad omen. I'll build some more and see if it fixes things. :)

I'm heading away for a fieldwork/course stuff on Tuesday. This will take me out of action for approximately 1.5 weeks. As such, I will do my absolute best to finish the year before then....but I can't make promises, sadly. I've got a plan for the rest of the year that should serve well enough assuming things go according to plan (hah).....but this year's been rather peaceful (not even one siege. I'm slightly disappointed), so there's a 50% chance things will work.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 24, 2014, 08:39:59 am »

Can bee's sting undead?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 24, 2014, 05:34:54 pm »

6th Timber. Eastern Courtyard of Central Compound

"Come on, lad! Just walk calmly and they won't sting you!"
"I can't!"
"Look it's perfectly safe, see?"

Bzzt!
"OW! Ok, maybe not. Stay still, and we'll knock a hole through the wall and get you out."
"THEY'LL STING MEEEEE!!"
'Look, just don't panic. You're stuck behind 5 hives full of angry bees, the last thing you want to do now is panic!'

McKiwi sighed. This was getting nowhere fast, although this fiasco wasn't Meng's fault.....for once. These hives were installed by the King, and she'd be damned if she knew how this planter (a new recruit to the beekeeping team) had gotten trapped behind them.\

"Alright folks, you know the drill. You need to get through that wall so we can pull him out of there. And do not drop stones on the beehives, or you'll find out what it's like having an angry swarm of bees stuck in your beard."
"Commander McKiwi!"

McKiwi turned towards the voice to see the self-appointed king of their nation, CaptainArchmage (the third, the first). Hurrying towards her.
Oh what now? Dashing's all very well, but today is just getting ridiculous! Don't we have an overseer to do all this stuff?
"Your highness? What can I do for you?"
"Where are all the new workers?
"What new workers?"
"The new ones from the other fortresses. I gave letters to Meng to be sent out to them, asking for new workers........have they not arrived?"
"Apparently not.....maybe Meng forgot to send your letters out?"
"Forgot?!! I appoint him to rebuild our mountainhome into a suitable capitol for our nation, and he forgets to send the letters he asks me to give him? Don't be absurd.

"Look. We need to find Meng. I've been trying to find him for months now, but he's never around when I'm looking. Let me send out the militia, we'll find him, and make sure everything's going fine. In the meantime, I've got a dwarf to rescue, so if you'll excuse me..."
"Very well. Find my Master Architect and sort out this mess. The last thing we need is another abandoned monstrosity around the place......"

Onomatopoeia of extreme buzzing/stinging action!

"AAAAAAIEEEEE!!!"
"Hang in there! We'll get you out!......erm....how did he get back there anyway?"

McKiwi turns to a hammerdwarf who has been standing guard in the Square
"Vaulted over the hives after smoking them, sir, just like you did last week. Think he had a bet going with someone. Then he grabbed a few frames for one of the new hives and realised he couldn't vault back. Quite a look on his face when he noticed that, sir. Then he dropped a frame and well......you know the rest. I don't think he'll be wanting to keep on beekeeping after this."
"I'll bet. I'll have to hold some proper classes if people are going to keep trying to copy that....also I'm a "commander" or a "Ma'am", not a "Sir", soldier.
"Sorry commander."
"Eh, everyone does it, and you're fairly new to the squads. Just don't do it again. Now then, let's see how this rescue goes.....it's not usually the dashing thing to do, but I don't suppose anyone's opened a book......."

----------------------------
Three! That's three times McKiwi's been stung by bees! Ah ha ha.

I do have another part to this bit of plot planned, which I'll do later today...either by editing this post, or by writing a new post if anyone replies before then. At this stage we'll catch up with Meng. I'm sure he's doing just fine.

Edit: Fixed stuff!
Edit2: Changed the color of the hammerdwarves' lines. Sorry if it's less readable, but I'm avoiding putting it too close to the colors I use for named dwarves if I can avoid it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:47:35 pm by Urist McKiwi »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 100